PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 August 2018

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
Zidane.

He'll be allowed to sign players like Mourinho was. This myth that Mourinho is the best manager for us merely due to past success is false. He's presently being out performed by managers who have won less in the past.
You're tired of Mourinho so you want to replace him with someone who had recently had a horror show in the league and whose relationship with his players broke down so much in his third season that he left the club?

Then again I guess he did develop youngsters like Varane and break scoring records at Real Madrid. Oh no wait sorry that was Mourinho.

Roosney

What the heck happened at half time?

I thought the first half an hour was great from us even though I think our attacking play was a bit random.
Second half, we bottled it when there was nothing to bottle. Fecking 'ell.

tjb

Watching the game again, our back line killed us. We were really good for the most part, but whenever our back four were threatened ( centre backs really as shaw and valencia played well defensively) we had problems. This might be a theme if we do not fix it quick, maybe slot Matic at the back or something, but this is a problem for our next manager.

Ashley R1+O

That was such a weird game, I actually sat up in the first half thinking "wow we're actually really taking the game by the scruff here and looking good, this feels new and ominous" then we conceded two in quick succession and that was that :lol:. The same issue is still there, no responsibility on the pitch at all and I wonder how many times games have gone quickly down hill in the last five years because there is no leadership group, no responsibility and no pride at all.

It is a firm reality that there is not much in the short term we can really do but accept these guys will just drop heads and down tools in hard scenarios. They are a bunch of overpaid and gigantic responsibility shirking group of pussies and the fans are doing their best to enable that by yelling about Mourinho all the time. I'm not sure what Mourinho can do about that as well now that the window is closed. But I'm in for the long haul, we need to absolutely bin out so many of this group and start it fresh but it takes time and the right direction for the club. While Ed is there playing cueball Mr Billy Big Bollocks that won't be happening. So I'm happy to treat it how he sees it, as a WWF franchise and not an actual football club.

Bojan11

I'll tell you know what I know. That he's signed Mkhitarian (swapped), Lukaku, Sanchez, Matic, Fred, Lindelof, Dalot, Pogba, Bailly and Ibra (transferred) for an absolute fortune and the team is still playing poorly as a team. That's not good enough and we need someone new to do a better job.

So tell me your basis for considering Sanchez and Pogba as board signings and not Mourinho signings? Is it because they're so disappointing under his managment?

Edit - missed out Pogba
He wanted Pogba at Chelsea.

He wanted Pogba and Griezmann during the 15/16 transfer window, which is why he had a meltdown.

I’m sure @duffer can vouch for that. Pogba was heavilly linked, but Chelsea weren’t prepared to pay.

Bojan11

Pogba and Sanchez were signings made by the club, not requested by the manager.

The club has not sold the dead wood.

The club didn't strengthen in key areas this summer, as requested.

Of course a couple of his signings haven't worked out (Bailly, Lindelof) but he hasn't signed a full 11 and hasn't been fully backed going into the crunch year.

You know that.

He should still be getting more out of the team though.
Wrong.

http://www.skysports.com/amp/footba...ba-for-chelsea-in-2015-says-agent-mino-raiola

Mourinho wanted Pogba before he even got here. But I suppose it’s somebody else’s fault.

MuranoLover

I will say it again and again.

Salah scores that chance and we win the game comfortably. Aguero scores that chance and we win the game comfortably.

Lukaku does not. That's the difference.
Thinking the same.

Lukaku needs to be benched, last two games would be totally winnable if he has scored.

Kapardin

There are plenty of things about the second half of this game that reminds me of Jose's 15/16 season:

1) Defense conceding usually high number of goals. Jose takes out Lindelof for a bad performance last game, then subs him on for Jones due to the latter too performing badly. Very reminiscent of what he did with those Chelsea players.

2) Unmotivated players like Pogba resemble Hazard downing tools.

3) Lukaku and the attack forgetting how to score.

4) Large number of backpasses suggest the players don't believe in what he's instructing them.

5) Amidst all the carnage, a few "loyal warriors" still putting in top performances. Was Willian at Chelsea, here surprisingly it is Luke Shaw of all people.

6) The cracks in the 15/16 season started with a draw against Swansea at home and then barely edging WBA 3-2. The defeats for Chelsea followed after. Similar to that Chelsea-WBA game, we began with a shaky performance just edging Leicester and then it's been downhill since.

7) Strife between the board/owners and Jose over transfers and a poor preseason.

There are too many uncomfortable similarities to his last Chelsea season.

trafford1980

My co-workers have been bingeing that City: All or Nothing series all day and I think I’m going to cry.

God, our squad is dire. I’m just exasperated at how we’ve spent so much money and yet we still look so Arsenal.

Can anyone say with a straight face that we’re going to finish above one of Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Spurs this season? If so, I admire your absolute optimism. You’re a better man than me.

Fingers crossed we’re only 6-9 points out of top four come January, we reinforce, and go on an amazing run to sneak it.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Thinking the same.

Lukaku needs to be benched, last two games would be totally winnable if he has scored.
He’s missed easy chances in every game so far, but the most common defence of him last season (myself included) was that he didn’t get any service.

klsv

Ah, finally the promise land for all those "rather attack and finish lower" types, congrats!

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Mourinho still has my support. Sacking him will only make the situation worse.
Not if you're thinking about the long term. The sooner Mourinho is gone the sooner the team can be fixed. We have the players to do a hell of a lot better than we are doing, but we have the wrong man leading them into battle...

antsmithmk

Hates women.
Here's my thoughts for what they are worth...

Overall performance was very good. We were unlucky and if you played that game another 9 times we would win 6 of them.

Shaw... looks to have turned a corner. He looked really good.

Formation... was it 5-3-2 with Valencia a lot higher up the pitch? Seemed that Herrera was playing as right sided CB of a 3?!

Lukaku... you can't miss chances like that in big games.

Sanchez... maybe being dropped sparked him into life. He looked a lot better when he came on.

Lingard... brilliant. Ran his socks off and worries the opposition into mistakes.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The style was much more encouraging, but we have to take the chances when they come or result like last night happen.

dogwithabone

Overall performance was very good. We were unlucky and if you played that game another 9 times we would win 6 of them.

Formation... was it 5-3-2 with Valencia a lot higher up the pitch? Seemed that Herrera was playing as right sided CB of a 3?!

Sanchez... maybe being dropped sparked him into life. He looked a lot better when he came on.

Lingard... brilliant. Ran his socks off and worries the opposition into mistakes.

I’d agree with that apart from Lingard. The effort was there but in that position he has to be a bit cuter. You’re looking for that killer pass or that game changing moment and I felt it was not enough of that and too much huff and puff.

Ronaldo's Love Child

I can't help but be a tad disappointed with the team sheet last night.

Bailly and Lindelof had a nightmare match against Brighton but after last night's performance by Smalling & Jones then I think you could thrown a blanket over all of our centre backs and not be able to pick a good player out which brings me back to last night.

Is there an argument that Mourinho should have stuck by with Bailly and Lindelof again ? If we have no better options then supporting them and allowing them to play through their bad patches is sometimes what they need.

R'hllor

All this, JM went for it and our weak defense got exposed, shows that he was right for asking a CBs w/e. Hello, he put straight back in Matic, player who looked miles away from being fit/ready to be a SHIELD of that weak weak back line, that wasnt Woodward decision/fault, it was his and those type of decisions you can find plenty in the past because thats how he fecking rolls.

You believe your CBs are shit and what you do? You give them a shield in Matic who just came back from injury, unfit, looked out there like he never played football before, moved like oil tanker !? Why? Trusting more Matic on 10% then more fit, younger players like AP, what, he tho that AP could do worse then Matic last night? Get the feck out with that crap.

RoyH1

Other than Shaw, the rest of our defenders played poorly. On that last goal Moura just humilliated Smalling. To think that not so long ago there were people here writing that Smalling was as good as Varane.

I've defended Lukaku, but he really needs to score more of his chances.

Unfortunately we might be looking at another big rebuild with a new manager in a year's time. Not a good day for us United fans.

Beagle

He did buy Bailly and Lindelof.
Yes he doesn't get enough blame for the defence. He bought 2 CBs and had 5 windows to clear out any or all of the other 3 at the club. If he believes none of them are good enough, he's had plenty of opportunities to get rid of them.

DomesticTadpole

Was listening to Sam Allardyce on Alan Brazil's show just now and he was saying about us not signing what Jose asked for. Dom McGuiness their Manchester correspondent was in on the conversation and he mentioned we had signed Bailly and Lindelof. Sam said about what they cost and that to buy a world class CB you now have to pay £70 and upwards i.e VVD. He was worried that Ed is maybe thinking we should only be paying the prices of the other two and that is why we are struggling now to sign the best.

I know some will bring in Pogba/Sanchez, but we were the only ones willing to pay that at the time, maybe we should have asked why? Sanchez, City wouldn't pay the wages, common sense shown there.

You wonder if they are looking at this and Lukaku and do not want to pay out. The recruitment at the club is all to pot

Unfortunately I think it is running deeper than us starting to penny pinch. I just think ambitious players see other clubs and especially managers as a more attractive proposition.

simplyared

We pressed them in the 1st half without being really dangerous. Lukaku had the chance to get us ahead and it went past the post. Wouldn't blame him too much for that. Unlike many others thought he had a decent game. His movement was good. However we lack quality in too many departments. Fred isn't cutting it. Pogba just wasn't there. Herera- no. Matic etc. Valencia still not making those ever important crosses. Smalling is our only decent CB.

C3Pique

Was listening to Sam Allardyce on Alan Brazil's show just now and he was saying about us not signing what Jose asked for. Dom McGuiness their Manchester correspondent was in on the conversation and he mentioned we had signed Bailly and Lindelof. Sam said about what they cost and that to buy a world class CB you now have to pay £70 and upwards i.e VVD. He was worried that Ed is maybe thinking we should only be paying the prices of the other two and that is why we are struggling now to sign the best.

I know some will bring in Pogba/Sanchez, but we were the only ones willing to pay that at the time, maybe we should have asked why? Sanchez, City wouldn't pay the wages, common sense shown there.

You wonder if they are looking at this and Lukaku and do not want to pay out. The recruitment at the club is all to pot

Unfortunately I think it is running deeper than us starting to penny pinch. I just think ambitious players see other clubs and especially managers as a more attractive proposition.
I said this weeks ago and got shouted down but it's the truth. Woodward and the Glazers are penny pinching in unsexy areas of the pitch and it's costing us. Truth is I would swap 3 of our CBs for Alderwerield.

DomesticTadpole

We pressed them in the 1st half without being really dangerous. Lukaku had the chance to get us ahead and it went past the post. Wouldn't blame him too much for that. Unlike many others thought he had a decent game. His movement was good. However we lack quality in too many departments. Fred isn't cutting it. Pogba just wasn't there. Herera- no. Matic etc. Valencia still not making those ever important crosses. Smalling is our only decent CB.
Lukaku is a striker and his job is to score goals, not put them past the post constantly and it is constantly.

DomesticTadpole

I said this weeks ago and got shouted down but it's the truth. Woodward and the Glazers are penny pinching in unsexy areas of the pitch and it's costing us. Truth is I would swap 3 of our CBs for Alderwerield.
They way they keep throwing in that he would pay 100m if Varane was available, well he isn't and by the time he is, Ed wouldn't sign him as he would have no sell on value. They seem to fixate on one player and the net should be spread a lot wider.

Sing you a song

Thinking the same.

I agree but the problem is if we bench him we have no goal scoring threat whatsoever in the team , Rashford is overrated generally and carries little goal threat , martial is finished and Sanchez is looking like our worst ever signing.So we no option but to persevere with Lukaku a big target man who we never ever provide crosses for

Bojan11

You presented a quote from an agent as evidence. :lol:

Sorry. I'll just dig up something on website somewhere or find another quote.
Yes I dug a quote from August 2016 a few weeks after Pogba saying that said agent said Mourinho wanted Pogba at Chelsea.

Yet you provided no evidence and just posting bollocks that you making up.

Treble

In the first 30 min. After that defence crumbled. We had many attempts at goal but few were really threatening. Basically, our best chance was gifted by Rose.

Beagle

Jose had them on the ropes in the first half, playing the football I want to see too, but he didn't anticipate such a fecking cunning plan from Poch as changing things up at HT :eek: and he had no plan B once again!

He brought on Sanchez … I thought we were MUCH better without him – and I've said it for ages!

Once he brings on Fellaini we know we're in the shit!

But the opposition knows exactly what to expect when Jose makes these changes … after all they're his "go-to" changes and probably what Spurs trained for.

Jose nearly won me over tonight with that first half. They mentioned something on SKY comm that I don't think was too shy of the truth: Carrick walked into the technical area to pass a message to Jose just as Alan Smith was saying that Poch would not have expected the way United have set up … no-one did! He said, "Maybe that's the guy that came up with this formation". :angel: Herrera!

Still looks to me like Jose is happy to make a point that he's mot being supported … he's United's Donald Trump and BREXIT rolled into one!

Not going to read too much into that post match stuff from the special one either … unless it makes Jose genuinely realise what the feck it is that he took on 30 months ago!

BUT … I'm going to support him! That first half showed we CAN DO IT! AS LONG AS IT SHOWED HIM WE CAN TOO MAYBE WE CAN ALL BENEFIT!!!
Don't ignore his post match interview. He said he's had the team practicing this system for the whole week with Spurs in mind. And then look at the result of that hard work for the 2nd goal. He's basically becoming a clown.

Murray3007

if am being honest was prob the best I have seen jose start a game here, the tempo was up, closing players down, playing with some urgency for a change, on another day Moura would have seen red for his high boot on Jones, or if it was against a lesser team lukkaku would have had a few goals in the 1st half along, if we were not ahead for half time was always going to be difficult to keep the pressing up considering how little some of our players had played and it clearly aint something jose does often so the players wont be fit enough for that, poor individual play for the 3 goals, positive's was Shaw looked brilliant, smalling a thought defending well till the last 5 mins when Moura skipped past him, negatives poor quality in the final 3rd, Lingaard falling over anytime a player comes near him and fellaini coming on at the end instead of Rashford. personally think if we play like that more often we would win more then we lose.

Bojan11

A quote from a football agent on Sky Sports is not evidence.
What the feck is it then? Are you stupid or something?

So a post from some guy name after ice cream is evidence?

Here’s a quote from Mourinho himself in 2015

However, Jose wasn't content with phrasing his thoughts quite so simply.

Instead, he said: "I think everybody has an interest in Pogba. But there are things you can do and things you cannot do.

"I love the Eiffel Tower but I can’t have the Eiffel Tower in my garden. I can’t even have the Eiffel Tower of Las Vegas.”
But you can stick to your made up theory that Mourinho didn’t want Pogba.

MuranoLover

I agree but the problem is if we bench him we have no goal scoring threat whatsoever in the team , Rashford is overrated generally and carries little goal threat , martial is finished and Sanchez is looking like our worst ever signing.So we no option but to persevere with Lukaku a big target man who we never ever provide crosses for
Sanchez Rashford/Martial Lukaku is the way I would play them .

Lukaku was pretty awesome for Belgium at this role

DDG

Valencia Bailly Lindelof Shaw

Fred Matic Pogba

Lukaku Rash/Martial Sanchez

This is a fecking 1billion euros team , no way it cannot play together and win

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 514 ratings.

Score Predictions