PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 August 2018

Nori-

This is identical to what happened to Jose at Chelsea. The players just dont want to play for him anymore and can you blame them?

Chelsea wasted a season that year, replaced him and won it the next year. Why waste anymore time on him, sack him now, bring in Zizu, pay him what he wants and maybe just maybe start unlocking the potential of these top players. We might even still be able to launch a title challenge

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Quality was the difference

we had 23 shots to 9 in that game.......less than a quarter of us on target, more than half of theirs

we made key mistakes at key times and Jones/Smalling/Lindelof lacked that extra bit of class that Vidic or Ferdinand did to make the difference

actually pleased with our effort and intensity but Mourinho has failed to create a strong defensive or attacking side

feels like the end is near
Agree with all this and the scary part is: will a new manager make Lukaku score those chances? Will he make our centre backs world class? Sure we’ll have a go but we had a go tonight. At the end of the day is the quality there?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
There have definitely been positives tonight. Shaw and most of our first half play gave me hope and the 45 minutes flew by unlike any of our games since the FA Cup semi.

On the other hand the defence was woeful all night, barring a few last ditch efforts, and we withdrew into our shells pathetically after conceding the goals for too long. After that we improved and made some snatched chances, but honestly it was desperate stuff, and we still looked abysmal at the back.

There was a palpable end of days feel about Jose on the pitch at the final whistle. There's much more to say on this in the coming days and weeks but a crossroads is nearing.

Canagel

These are the results we deserve. Time for change. We need change. The scary thing is we were worse at Brighton but this team isn't good enough or decisive enough in either box. We were spanked despite the stats being in our favour. That's very worrying.

Last edited:

Slevs

likes to play with penises
The guy said we needed transfers. He didn't get them (thanks, Ed) and you want hin sacked?

ash_86

We were severely unlucky today combined with shit defending.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Do you put this on Jose, do you put it on the players ?? What a soft centre this lot has. Fair play to Spurs but let it sink in beat 3 at home to Spurs. If that's not a wake-up call to falling from grace like a stone then what is.

Lack of leadership all over the club at present. You can accept going 1-0 down 2-0 down whatever but just no leadership on the pitch to get it back to 1-1 or 2-1. Ironically one of the players who has let Jose down the most has been our best player this season in Shaw.

RK

Spurs won it from a good set piece. Otherwise it was a fairly even game in which we had the upper hand until we had to leave more space at the back.

2-0 was unlucky. 3-0 doesn't describe the game.

Hope we can see past the scoreline and not overreact to what's still a disappointing loss, but a massive improvement on the Brighton game.

Sentient Meat

This wasn't Jose's fault... he asked for new center backs... they let him down and offensive players who have been paid millions of pounds cannot perform their basic functions. My only gripe is he cannot lose players the caliber of Martial.

FromTheBench

Much better performance. Good pace, better passing, a good few chances.

We were beaten by a more clinical team, but that's fine. If we show up with that same level of snap and bite for the next few games I'll be happy enough.
We are Manchester United not Newcastle ffs.

Rory 7

:lol: Goes without saying that Mourinho is doing a terrible job but you couldn’t have written a script to make it any more abundantly clear that Woodward has not got the faintest clue about football. Alderweireld absolutely imperious for Spurs while, one by one, all of our CBs put on a flawless display of breathtaking incompetence. Amazing really. It was actually kind of funny and I never find our defeats funny.
Agree. I’m beginning to wonder is Mourinho doing it deliberately! Setting us up to show how bad our CBs are...

Shiva87

Our CBs are so poor! Every time there is a 2 on 2, opponent llahepl reach the box and get a shot away. They are like rabbits under headlights!

I miss those days when a CB would just stand his ground and win the ball back. Maybe our attack is so poor coz they play against a pub defense in training!

Godfather

Surprised so many think we "played well" in the first half. We didn't. Our players ran their socks off and pressed Spurs hard but there wasn't a single good pass or cross coming. Our finishing was atrocious as well.

The moment we couldn't keep up the high pressing tempo was the moment they were going to punish us. And so it happened.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It's only pre-season or something...

El Jefe

Looked to attack with intent but unfortunately we're just shite at it, we constantly debate whether it's the players or Jose's fault but its clearly both.

This was one for the 'I'd rather lose 0-3 attacking than 0-1 defending'. Newsflash both are losses and hurt the same.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The guy said we needed transfers. He didn't get them (thanks, Ed) and you want hin sacked?
Ron Atkinson on MUTV has just said we have played a lot worse than that and won. It's crazy. Jose is not for us, but the board have bottled it. They should have either backed him or sacked him.

MrBest

Anyone really surprised anymore? I ain't and don't even feel awful anymore. This was business as usual. On the Other side, i was really impressed with Shaw. Looks like a new player. Lukaku was shocking and should of been subbed. Pierera was missed, only guy in midfield who is good on the ball. Fred is really short and really shows at times.

Cpt Negative

The united fans getting selfies with Moura after was that game, absolutely disgraceful

Godfather

:lol: Goes without saying that Mourinho is doing a terrible job but you couldn’t have written a script to make it any more abundantly clear that Woodward has not got the faintest clue about football. Alderweireld absolutely imperious for Spurs while, one by one, all of our CBs put on a flawless display of breathtaking incompetence. Amazing really. It was actually kind of funny and I never find our defeats funny.
Also kind of funny to see Lucas tearing us to shreds.

MonkeysMagic

Atrocious form, terrible decision making and badly coached! Why on earth does anyone actually think that the team can turn up and win football matches? This is only going to end one way but the decision makers are too hesitant.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Garbage defending. It was pretty bad when Jones and Herrera were on the pitch but Lindelof made Herrera look like Beckenbauer. If Alli wasn't shite it would have been 6-0.

Alderweireld looking quality too.

DeGea

I think Woodward needs to be blamed more than Jose. If a manager has been given a contract extension, you should fecking back him up with the players that he needs until at least the end of his contract. Otherwise what is the fecking point.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
As soon as the first goal went in, you knew too things: we'd lost and spurs would score again. Smalling fast people told me. My arse! Valencia excellent: my arse! we've got nothing. it's like a blank canvas. no creativity in midfield: pogba anonymous, fred anonymous, herrera headless chicken. No width, no x-factor. It's awful, even DDG not looking anywhere near his best (not that he be blamed for any of the goals). We aren't a team, just 11 men running around mindlessly. I've refused to call for jose to go so far but he looks clueless too. no plan b, no ability to change things. And all the talk about defensive problems hid the fact that we haven't got anyone to pass to lukaku in the way spurs set up their goals (our best chance came from a spurs mishit back pass). it's awful and I saw it coming all week. I predicted 3-0 and it wasn't hard to do so. things are falling apart, as I said in a thread where i was attacked. its fecking awful

Slevs

likes to play with penises
He played Bailly and Lindeloff at Brighton and we got screwed.

He played Smalling and Jones vs Spurs and we got screwed.

The guy knew, we needed new CBs and Woodward wouldn't get them.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
We were quite decent in the first half. That's one positive to try to remember and take on. We actually played quite well but lacked a bit of quality up front. Hopefully Lukaku can shake off his rustiness quickly and start finishing the chances off.

Unfortunately we then fell apart once they scored the first.

Canuckred64

Mourinho applauding the home fans who stayed for so long is interesting. I think we have reached a breaking point, Mourinho out Carrick in charge at Burnley and Zidane in after the International break. Not sure that's the best thing, but I wouldn't bet agaisnt it.

fil1542

Supports
Jose Mourinho
I am amazed by the reactions of this thread. It wasn´t a bad match at all, just a few defensive mistakes and Spurs being much more clinical. United could easily have been 2-0 after 30 minutes and then in the second half Spurs took the chances they had. The defensive mistakes are worrying, though, but the build-up of the corner before their first goal and their second goal resulted in playing with such a high line.

Btw, Alderweireld was very good today.

minoo-utd

My God. Do not point the finger at Jose only. We have some poor players here. We needed a C.B and Woodward refused to pay. And now the club will sack Jose? Really?

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 514 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:0 Tottenham