PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Mon, 27 August 2018

Slevs

likes to play with penises
For all Jose haters ...just imagine how much wounded he is now and his ego got hurt !! But he is struggling to change things at UTD which is the main issue !

I think All his unnecessary comments about Wenger and other managers in Italy are biting back now. it's Karma guys
He also stole his classmate's pen in 4th grade.

Come on guys, stop believing in this stuff. The guy needed the players and didn't get them, it's really that simple.

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Ok Laukaku should have scored , and if he’d been the shooter John Lennon would still be alive today , but MOura should have had a pen first half.
Second half we were all over you .
Shaw and the ref was your best players
LOL look at it closely again then. It was never a penalty, hence the lack of reaction of the Spurs players. After our blunders of course you were all over us. You were afforded the space. It's quite common in football.

sugar_kane

Strangest 3-0 defeat I’ve ever seen. I’m not going to read through all the crying on here but I thought we played well and were badly let down by individual mistakes. Hard to blame Mourinho for that and I felt for him.
Agreed on this, I saw a good few things to feel positive about tonight.

After Brighton I felt rotten and hopeless, after tonight I feel cautiously positive and that maybe we should give Mourinho a bit more time.

We made a couple of stupid mistakes tonight but all things considered 3-0 scoreline flatters spurs massively

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Strangest 3-0 defeat I’ve ever seen. I’m not going to read through all the crying on here but I thought we played well and were badly let down by individual mistakes. Hard to blame Mourinho for that and I felt for him.
Bang on really. I don't really like Jose but this is definitely the case today. Deserves at the very leas one more game because of how we played today.

Berba's_Flick

Agreed on this, I saw a good few things to feel positive about tonight.

After Brighton I felt rotten and hopeless, after tonight I feel cautiously positive and that maybe we should give Mourinho a bit more time.

We made a couple of stupid mistakes tonight but all things considered 3-0 scoreline flatters spurs massively
Absolutely! Also signs of our over all play improving. Could be that our new look backroom staff is making changes. Atleast hope so. First half intensity and off the ball work was pretty impressive

Zlatattack

I didn't watch the first half, i watched the second half, and even when 2-0 down I saw us play some decent football at times. Sanchez made some clever runs, people kept picking him out, but each time he was crowded out by Spurs defenders.

We didn't do anything on the right hand side. Since Mata had that 1 decent season at RW under LvG, we've not had any attacking intent from that side of the pitch. As always teams knew our only real attacking outlet was the left hand side, be it Sanchez, Martial or Rashford. It's like fighting a guy with one arm, or 1 eye.

I think the answer temporarily is to stick Rashford out there till xmas and let him to make the position his own. Even if he just dribbles into defenders, at least there will be an option for people to have to bother marking.

Berba's_Flick

Bang on really. I don't really like Jose but this is definitely the case today. Deserves at the very leas one more game because of how we played today.
He isn't going anywhere this season. Would be madness to sack him this early with no viable option to replace him with.

freeurmind

weak willed
Not too different from last week. If Lukaku buries that early chance we probably win 2-0. Spurs were clinical in the final third, we weren't. Shaw looked really good. Going to be hard to pick the players up from this, hopefully we can get a win at Burnley. CB has to be an absolute priority in January, all of them are either too injury prone or just not good enough. Lindelof looks like a League 1 player.

subotai

I was watching a different match.
Fair enough.

I thought the game had more quality from United than the last two - certainly the game against Brighton. There were quite a few times I thought the attacks were more creative and the football more free-flowing. Also seemed to be far fewer misplaced passes than the last outing - though they're still there and still frustrate the hell out of me - I don't think I'm alone on this :). Obviously we blew all that improvement by failing to defend the Spurs goals well, although Kane's goal was well-taken.

The two players who looked the most out of sorts in my opinion were Pogba and Lukaku, and that might be down to fatigue from the summer combined with lack of pre-season. I don't really have any background in sports science or inside knowledge or whatever - so I could be way off the mark on this.

Anyhoo, it's just my two pen'orth. Obviously the loss stings, and the Spurs fans at my local were(n't) a joy to behold, but I still kinda hope for the best.

I happily accept you have a different view, but, just to ask, was there nothing that you saw that we did better tonight compared to Brighton?

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

good riddance jose .....season over after 3 games
The season was over when we decided to keep Mourinho in the summer but not back him. We all knew it but people deluded themselves otherwise.

He should have been backed or sacked. He wasn't. This is the result.

VJ1762

Hey guys, is it possible at all that maybe we can convince Sir Alex to come out of retirement to manage this season? Like heyneckes did for bayern? You know, to steady the ship somewhat before looking at other alternatives next summer. Of course, only if jose is sacked.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Hey guys, is it possible at all that maybe we can convince Sir Alex to come out of retirement to manage this season? Like heyneckes did for bayern? You know, to steady the ship somewhat before looking at other alternatives.
Don't be silly.

dove

Hey guys, is it possible at all that maybe we can convince Sir Alex to come out of retirement to manage this season? Like heyneckes did for bayern? You know, to steady the ship somewhat before looking at other alternatives.
Yeah I am sure this shit is all he needs after all his health issues...

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hard to feel too down beat about the game, we were the better side but crucially their no 9 is better than ours as is their defence and that was the difference

Who knows what the season will bring now, Top 4 looks like it'll be hard if City, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea keep doing what they're doing, while we just have the limp on till January at least but we're hardly going to be able to address our issues completely then given we failed to do so after and entire summer

RedChisel

Terrible match for United. I don't actually think we played that badly but we were let down by terrible cb's and a lack of cutting edge once again. I'm not going to get involved in the millennial hissy fit going on in this thread but Jose needs to fix things and fast.

Ban

Hey guys, is it possible at all that maybe we can convince Sir Alex to come out of retirement to manage this season? Like heyneckes did for bayern? You know, to steady the ship somewhat before looking at other alternatives next summer. Of course, only if jose is sacked.
Please don't post nonsense.

Fosu-Mens

Manchester United - Tottenham
Shots attempted: 23 - 9
Shots on target: 5 - 5
Shots off target: 12 - 2
Blocked shots: 6 - 2

Best game of the season if you look away from the scoreline.

Kearnkoff69

i said last season that spurs were a better side (with a better squad) than us and got abused. the truth is now out there!
I don't disagree at all. Talent-wise, they're a top 4 team. And when you put that talent under the right coach to foster it and utilize it in the right system, it flourishes.

VJ1762

Yeah I am sure this shit is all he needs after all his health issues...
I know, but a man can dream. I just don't want it to end for Jose this way. Hopefully we can pull through this.

Sentient Meat

I wish I had your blind faith that something with no evidence to support it could come true. Lukaku scored more and produced more for a pants Everton side than Martial has done in four seasons at United.
I remember the first time I saw Lukaku, he skied a penalty kick for Chelsea in the Supercup. No one thought much of it when they got rid of him or sent him out on loan. Then he was given a run of play with a weak Everton team and produced. And yes he produced for us as well. However, he is a one dimensional scorer who does convert a lot of his chances with his strength and size but I think he also hits a lot of clumsy passes and heavy first touches. I also see the problem Jose has with Martial's inconsistent effort. But I just prefer those technical players like Mata, Kagawa, and yes Martial. I understand bottom line football is about results... but the greatest teams sign players who combine technical ability with results. We should have signed Diego Costa if we wanted a more physical player who could control the ball.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Good analysis by Neville on Sky. I think these are testing times for us as fans. Jose still has that fire in his belly, just saw his press conference, absolutely fecking destroyed that journalist.

The club need to stick together and rally absolutely everybody. Players who do not want to play for him should just say so and be sold in January.

We are going to war lads/lasses, and it will be a long bloody season.
I'd love to have a war (siege mentality), though I want Woodward to give Jose what he needs.
Woodward said no to Perisic (and we saw what he could do in the WC). Today, we saw how bad our CBs are, while at the same time witnessed how good Toby A (who Jose wanted desperately).
Our DoF is over-ruling Jose and it's preventing us from improving.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Hard to feel too down beat about the game, we were the better side but crucially their no 9 is better than ours as is their defence and that was the difference

Who knows what the season will bring now, Top 4 looks like it'll be hard if City, Spurs, Liverpool and Chelsea keep doing what they're doing, while we just have the limp on till January at least but we're hardly going to be able to address our issues completely then given we failed to do so after and entire summer
You were not the better side.

OrlandoPirates-Soweto

Everyone keeps banging on about not signing a CB and that our defenders are shit etc. What worries me is we not convincing up front. We could have Maldini at the back n keep clean sheets but you win by scoring goals ultimately. If we was losing 3-2 due to defensive errors I would understand but we ain’t even creating many chances.

TheReligion

Abusive
You were not the better side.
I think the point he makes is valid. Your number 9 took his one chance, ours missed it. That changed the game.

0-3 flatters you. Could of quite easily been 3-0 United by half time. Anyway well done on the win!

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 514 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:0 Tottenham