g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 January 2019

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
Been a long, long time since i've been nervous throughout a whole game. Love having that feeling back.

redIndianDevil

Good win. but I'm not going to get carried away. We should not have conceded so many half chances. We still have to improve our passing by a lot

minoo-utd

The way how the team changed is really pleasant. Confidence and desire are back and it is easy to see, but we really really need few more additions to this system!

DSG

Great tactical setup from OGS. We looked great in the 1st half.

Thought he could have made another adjustment in 2nd half to nullify the formation change by the Spurs.

We were unlucky not to score in 2nd half. Spurs unlucky not to score a couple.

DDG fantastic.

Reactions: SteveJ

Strachans Cigar

Spurs were the better team and deserved at least a draw from that but feck it, I’ll take it as we are still in a greater state of flux than they are despite our recent relative renaissance.

For us, De Gea (obviously) and Herrera were outstanding.

Lindelof & Pogba very good also

EwanI Ted

Looks like Ole has the team fighting for each other as well as playing nice football, which is wonderful to see.

Plenty to chew on though in a game where Spurs were unlucky to come up against De Gea in god mode and the lack of quality in our squad got highlighted by our poor options on the bench when we were up against it in the final phase of the game.

For tonight though, one to savour.

Irwin99

I gave De Gea a 10, that was godlike at times. Some giant performances from Lindelof, Herrera, Rashford and Pogba.

Our left flank got absolutely battered at times though and that's concerning. Time and time again they got past Shaw and Jones and I don't think Martial helped as much as he could have (had a good game attacking wise don't get me wrong).

nameischarles

I loved it when Phil Jones stood his ground and got the ball of Kane in the box, he had a surprised look for a second like “crap did I just take the ball of Kane”.

Great first half, we seem to ran out of steam but I expected Tottenham to go at it in the second. De Gea was just on God mode, Lindelof played great, Pogbas pass and Rashfords finish was amazing.

david bazley

Incredibly lucky against an average Spurs side but at least we gave it a go instead of parking the big red bus

PieCrust

Great first half, terrible second.

Lucky not to get equalized if not lose.

It was so fun watching the team challenge in the first half. Watching us defend like a relegation candidate in the 2nd ruined it all.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Next season's away game to Spurs will obviously be tougher due to their luxurious cheese room but the lads took their chance today and three points is great. The difference between "parking the bus" with Ole compared to Mourinho is that we were actually set up to counter attack once we got the ball instead of just soaking up pressure. It was risky, but the goal wasn't just pure luck.

koop

Souness spouts the most crap I've heard.

Why does this guy hate Pogba so much? It's like it hurts him inside to give the guy a compliment. He says hes got potential to be a world class midfielder, then goes on to dumpster him for the next 10 minutes.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
If we didn’t stop Young aimlessly punting the ball (9/11 aimless non completed long passes) from the first half we would have lost the game in the second half

Chicharo

Nervy second half, but still a great win.
Next week we have Brighton at home, while Arsenal and Chelsea play against each other
Chance to get even closer :devil:

onemanarmy

Still not convinced Shaw is the answer long term. He could do with some decent competition.
I hope Smalling is back soon, to form a partnership with Lindelof.

Happy to see Dalot getting some minutes.

De Gea was incredible. Rashford and Herrera were excellent. Martial a bit disappointing.

Still a lot of work to get to our best.

GazTheLegend

Could have been pretty much any score from 4-nil to them to 4-nil to us!

Tottenham deserved something out the game but De Gea earned that clean sheet big time!!

R'hllor

We never looked like cowards in 1st half, DDG was mental in 2nd half. Said it in Ole thread, regardless of who is the manager, 2nd half isnt acceptable imo, last 5 plus minutes, sure but to get out and be like that from very start of 2nd half, no sorry.

We didnt pay the price today but if we come out again like that after taking a lead, we will be punished.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Here comes the Pogba media witchhunt
Well, to be fair, I also can't understand how simply replacing a manager has made him play better. I mean, sure, he's playing higher up the pitch, has freedom to move about the pitch, gets to trust in his own intelligence, and isn't being called a cnut by his boss but I don't think any of those are the reason. Clearly he's just unprofessional.

Matst1

We were hanging on, for the last 30 minutes especially, but this is what builds team character. Its important for the team to know if needed they can see out a win against top opposition. So although holding on as we did, did take the shine off the win a bit, I think it's worth remembering how winning games like this is actually very important. Especially with PSG coming up soon.

newgiz

I was pretty much praying in the last 20 mins of the game. What a big win though. This brings us right back in contention to finish in the top 4 and gives us a good chance.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Great win but we let Spurs in too many times. Undeserved win but a win nonetheless.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
De Gea is a god. But brilliant win. First half was excellent and we dominated play and had a fully deserved lead. Start of second half was even and we were looking very dangerous on the break, Lloris probably kept them in it before the last 30 minutes they went all out attack and we had to hold on however we could. Players looked knackered at the end, but brilliant from everyone.

De Gea Motm, Herrera a close second. But get the feck in.

MADReaLJL

We lost too many second balls in the second half. But when we managed to pass the ball around, we looked quite good.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I agree with @Amadaeus more, lucky win IMO. Now I missed the first half hour but the amount of chances Spurs had it cannot be a great performance.

Having said that I'll take a lucky manager over a good manager.

And you have to say Spurs played very very well.
We could have been 10-0 down at half time, shame you missed it- even though Spurs didn't have a single shot on target. Lloris didn't touch the ball in the other part you missed in the second half. Weird.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Is the voting system trolling me? It's forcing me to give everyone tens?

rednotled

Jamie Redknapp defending United players from a predictable and boring SounessSpiteSpittle attack.

Oh my days

hahaha

fergieisold

Souness spouts the most crap I've heard.

Why does this guy hate Pogba so much? It's like it hurts him inside to give the guy a compliment. He says hes got potential to be a world class midfielder, then goes on to dumpster him for the next 10 minutes.
He’s talking rubbish. I’ve seen Pogba do exactly the same movement this season a number of times to roll his man. No intent!

oz insomniac

That was a fantastic result, and showed how Jose and his positional line up was so out of touch.

Despite all of that and the resurgence of Rashford and Pogba, the flow of the game and the saves by De Gea underline the absolute necessity for back four strengthening and its urgency. Personally not sure those above Ole will step up and sign anyone in this window, but getting on the front foot and lining up signings is imperative. Ed needs to show he can do that, and replicate his success on the sponsorship front.

Reactions: SteveJ

Irwin99

Still not convinced Shaw is the answer long term. He could do with some decent competition.
I hope Smalling is back soon, to form a partnership with Lindelof.

Happy to see Dalot getting some minutes.

De Gea was incredible. Rashford and Herrera were excellent. Martial a bit disappointing.

Still a lot of work to get to our best.
I was thinking that during the match, that Smalling would have made our defence a lot stronger. Jones vs Kane is fast becoming another Sendros vs Drogba, though probably not quite as bad as that.

bpet15

Wish I could enjoy this win, Spurs should've gotten 10 goals. Overly reliant on De Gea it's ridiculous, we got absolutely destroyed in the second half. Ugh, I didn't expect us to play prime Fergie football but at least play on the same level as them.
Three away points against a team in the title race. Trot on.

pascell

I would've taken a draw before the game but 3 points is a huge bonus, we'll take a lot of confidence out of the win. We've got some favourable fixtures apart from Leicester away in the league before Liverpool at home.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I said and hoped before the game that we would go out and attack them, to see how good we are. We did exactly that.

It was perfect set of circumstances really. You normally have to lose matches to learn certain things about your side - we managed to get the win and still learn heaps.

So what did we learn? For me, we learnt exactly how crucial to this side the base of the midfield is. First half it was solid, winning battles, Herrera was outstanding. When that security is there it influences everything. The full backs can do their jobs. Shaw looked a very good player.

We lost that base entirely after half time, and everything went with it. I don't know why. Need to watch the game again, but it was very noticeable that we had no reliable option to bring on. People are going to criticise Shaw and Young for allowing so much space on the wing, but this is a direct consequence of midfield base falling apart. Critical for our progression that we find a Robson/Keane type in the summer.

Great game though. Massive win for this team. We will kick on from here.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

Credit to the team today. Worked their arses off to get 3 points, against a very good team. Some of the players looked completely done towards the end of the game.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 95% of 969 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 776 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw