PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 0:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 January 2019

Zimkid

Massive win :D Last 20 minutes where tough to watch.

De Gea is best goalkeeper in the world
Ole Gunner should be Manager - give it to him
Pochettino would not do any better than Van Gaal with MU
5 PL wins in a row :cool::cool::cool: UTD is back
Next 4 games can easily be won with this mentality, maybe the Liverpool game too!
Let's dream, I think top 3 is possible :smirk:

Phew, now i can breathe!

wolvored

Ole is doing a great job with a lot of average players, a couple of good and one wc player. We had to rely on De Gea too much second half and we seemed to be more tired than them, even though we had a warm weather break. Saying that though there are a lot of positives and a fantastic result as it stands.

Minimalist

Brilliant win!

Pogba and Dave outstanding. The former deserved a goal. Shaw, Rashford, Herrera and Lindelof excellent.
Jones is dogshit - end of story. Lukaku needs to do better when he comes on. Rest were decent to good.

Fantastic win for the team and Ole.

And fcuk that crying cnut Sir Harry Kane. Wanker.

Patrick08

Superb 3 points. Top 4 is really on. We are 7 behind Tottenham themselves..

rednotled

Great game. No more falling asleep watching United play.

DDG, Lindelof and Pogba deserve a mention. All were very, very good.
We need an upgrade on Jones.
Lukaku looks busted.
Our counters were electric in the first half

Geekie

thought that was a beautiful football match, everyone's legs were gone but they kept pushing. Result was cherry on top

DavidDeSchmikes

What's this? She cannae take the strain captn......but we didn't lose? Fecking brilliant. There had been some suggestion that Ole was a "Flat track bully". Another clean sheet. away at Tottenham. 10 years since we last won 6 in a row (apparently)

sunama

Baghdad Bob
I am sorry, but your definition of park the bus looks way off
The definition of park the bus, is to put 10 men behind the ball and try and hit the opponent on the counter.
Concede possession and defend.
That my friend, is exactly what happened in the 2nd half. I'm baffled how anybody can say otherwise.

The 1st half was good, though.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
A real nail biter. Both teams horrible at finishing. De Gea with man of the match, but there weren't really any saves that I wouldn't expect him to make. Tottenham will be kicking themselves for not finishing their chances. Mind you, we could/should have scored at least 1 or 2 more as well. In the end, the 3 points is the most important part, especially being on the road at Tottenham, but not a performance I want to remember for anything other than the hard work the boys put in. Mind you, I would like to see us control the ball a little better. There will be harder tests to come...

kbbear

Haters will call us lucky but that's why you need a world class keeper. If a defender had blocked 4 or so shots people wouldn't call it lucky.

RedNed77

I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't nervous, even though I believed we would win.
I’d say the same, under previous management I’d become a bit blasé about our chances and football. Today was the first time outside major finals or derbies where I was actually nervous. It may have shown :nervous:

Member 115509

That back four is nowhere near good enough to play in a team challenging for cups and titles, but what was hugely impressive today was the dogged defending, the way United crowded Spurs out in and around the box and got bodies in the way of the ball.
DDG needs no real comment for his display today, he is the best. Awesome. His post match comments need no explanation.
Attacking wise, United are playing the way a United team should. The commentary today referenced the way that the likes of Lukaku, Mata and Fellaini will not fit into the way OGS has United playing, useful options off the bench or for a bit of rotation when required but too slow in the current set up.
United rode their luck at times today but also showed some real spirit and togetherness allied to some nice football. Matic was one of Mourinho's favourite sons, he has probably made more forward runs and played more forward passes in the last few games under OGS than he did in the entire time under Mourinho.

MacabbiUnited

Supports
Maccabi Tel Aviv - Israel
I think De Gea was reasing the caf at halftime seeing everubody criticizing his distribution, so he told the defenders to go to sleep ans let him do his thing.

Great win

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Excellent first half, could have scored more.
Backs to the wall second half, but did excellently to hold on. Dea Gea made a lot of saves, but a lot of them were standard right at him jobs.

Johan07

Not sure about that. Both lost their men for chances and neither did much in the air for us.
They were both excellent. Matic lost out to Dele Alli twice at least in the fecking air. Like really lost.
I dont know whats wrong with him, he doesnt even try to jump in his own penalty area.
Its a way bigger problem defensively than any of the CBs.

The Real Treble 99

MOTM DDG
Poorest performance Lingard

Absolutely priceless 3 points. Don’t know how we won that game as they completely bossed us the 2nd half. We just stopped playing after half time, there was no connect or precision from our players. Thought Pogba missed a golden chance to make it 2-0. Should’ve smashed the ball instead of placement.

They were very strong in the 2nd & if it weren’t for DDG & their poor finishing we would’ve been in big trouble. Lingard was really poor he’s poor form continuing from the Newcastle game. Was invisible in the game & had no kind of influence. I was bemused by the substitution of Martial who I thought was one of our dangerous players in the match.

TBH this was a lucky win & really nerve racking to watch. On the flip side 1st half we were brilliant. Class pass from Pogba to put RashFord through who finished brilliantly.
Regardless of everything a fantastic result which none of us expected. Defence is still our biggest problem & we have to sort that out more than anything.

But you have to note we were playing the top 3 side in the premiership & to come away with a win of any kind is a brilliant outcome for us.

mav_9me

Unbelievable performance. A month ago this would've been a 4-0 result to Spurs.
Great performance. We bossed it in the first half and for 10 mins of the second, I would think.

Ole didn't go Mourinho-ball without valid reasons. Jones, Herrera, Young, Matic and Lindelof were tiring having to keep up with that Spurs attack and not entirely being used to high tempo football, with Pogba and Martial offering nothing much defensively. We had no choice but to protect our lead and after 80 minutes in a tough away game, sitting back when its' the only option left is acceptable.

Credit to Ole for getting his tactics right. Spurs couldn't predict where our forwards would pop up, we razed them on the counter as well. Our counter attacking looks the sharpest it has done in 4 years as well.

A minus would be leaving Fellaini out of the squad. I get it, he isn't suited to our game and would probably leave this summer, but in a tough game like this when midfield options are thin, I reckon we would have done a better job shielding De Gea and maybe even nicking a second had he come on at '75 or so. But ok, Ole got the job done.

Hope Arsenal beat Chelsea next week, and we beat Brighton with no upsets. That would mean we would be 3 points off 4th.:drool:
Under Mourinho we would have lost this game. Credit for the victory, but taking of the red tinted glasses, a win was not a accurate result. A draw was more fitting. However, perhaps if Spurs scored, we would improved on our performance again.
I agree with @Amadaeus more, lucky win IMO. Now I missed the first half hour but the amount of chances Spurs had it cannot be a great performance.

Having said that I'll take a lucky manager over a good manager.

And you have to say Spurs played very very well.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Loved the first half, we got thoroughly dominated in the second, but that's why good teams have good goalkeepers.

cantonaldo

Having De Gea is like cheating. But all in all, Spurs played well. Created chance after chance. Just too bad they had to face a cheat at goal today.

Woodzy

Ole showing that he has something about him tactically. Pogba confirming that the counters were planned.

Concerning that Spurs got in so much in the second half but they really are just unstoppable at times.

Can't pick many holes in that performance.

CG1010

Buzzing with the victory! It could have gone 3-0 to us or 5-1 to them so in a way we are lucky. But a lot down to Spurs poor finishing as opposed to pure quality by Rashford

Edit:

TheRedHearted

Not sure why it was so easy for them to boss the midfield in the second half- our pressure was tight but many times I’ll positioned allowing much space on the wings which is what gave them opportunity.

In a large way Pochettinos men let him down. It’s tough to say whether Poch managed the second half better and Ole the first. I would say that’s about right. But you could argue the choices the had were misplaced because the positioning of our defenders were tight.

Some may hate to hear it but a lot of our defensive toughness in the second half was muscle memory from Mou himself.
Regardless great job from Ole. We looked a little clueless and very bunched up second half but it seemed a little bit by design. Play close to keep the ball it seemed. I love Lingard but he did seem quite nervous here. Finding either a right midfielder with pace or a winger while slotting Herrera into Matic position will be vital in my opinion.

Happy we held on but I wasn’t close to certain we would.

But many positives here. As all said. First half was perfect, second was tough and we did close them down a lot. A quicker option then Lukaku or someone on the right and our counter second half could have been way different

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Classical Mechanic

Spurs will feel they should have won that game. I felt the performance was Mourinho-esque, especially in the second. A much needed win but I don’t really feel we learned much about Ole’s suitability today. If Spurs hadn’t played midweek in a tough semi-final I’m sure they would have been sharper and put us to bed.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I disagree that any bus was parked like some are suggesting.

Parking the bus is the tacitc the manager applies when he feels the team is either going to defend a lead, or play a counter-attacking type of football exclusively.

Tottenham have really, really good midfielders and forwards. You don't just ignore that. You have to apply some defensive coverage to not let them slip past you.

The thing about a game is that there's 2 teams on the pitch. 1 team does not get to dictate the game from start to finish unless you're a top v bottom team. There's ALWAYS momentum swings.

Kudos to Tottenham, they played an incredibly well played second half and almost got there. Tottenham were surging, when that happens you simply get behind the ball and wait for momentum to die.

United had several chances to make it 2-0. Tottenham had several chances to score, but didn't.

I have no problems accepting that the manager plays a gameplan as the game develops based on whats actually happening on the pitch. Dalot and Lukaku were good subs all things considered.

In the postgame Rashford detailed a little about the gameplan, and that was not to park the bus. Sometimes you will simply get outplayed and have to adjust. it happens to all top teams against other top teams. United were banging the 1st half, we have no reasons to complain. Beating Tottenham at Wembley isn't exactly easy.

Reactions: Jippy

Janson

I’d say the same, under previous management I’d become a bit blasé about our chances and football. Today was the first time outside major finals or derbies where I was actually nervous. It may have shown :nervous:
Yeah it's understandable.

steakpie

Exhausted after watching that second half.

Ddg - 10
Young - 7
Lindelof - 8
Jones - 6
Shaw 6

Matic - 7
Herrera - 9
Pogba - 8

Lingard - 7
Rashford - 9
Martial - 7

kundalini

Interesting match. Good win to get. Conceded far too many big chances to Spurs. Defence 2nd to almost every ball. Midfield gave them very little protection although Herrera came alive towards the end.

De Gea fantastic. Pogba brilliant assist and had chances to score. Rashford super goal. Thought Lingard linked our play well.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 95% of 969 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 776 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw