PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:6 Tottenham Hotspur

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 October 2020

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
If Mourinho ends up winning either the PL or CL with spurs then Woodward has to be on thin ice.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Isn't it obvious?
Get rid of the Glazers. Once new owners come in, they'll immediately remove Woodward and create a new board.
Brilliant. So the owners get rid of themselves....
Once the new owners are in. Where is the evidence that the current owners have any intention of selling?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Just saw this:

Biggest loss at home since Sir Alex Ferguson lost 1-6 at home to Manchester City in 2011.
Ole is now breaking his own records, records which previous failed managers were unable to break.

I know it was a bad defeat at home but I remember when they interviewed Fergie after our 6-1 loss to city he said we would bounce back ,didnt see that from Ole so its defo more than a blip.
The writing was on the wall after we played Brighton. They should've scored 5 goals against us in that game. The difference between the Spurs and Brighton game was that Spurs took their chances and we didn't get more penalties.

Reiver

but they both have to see red or neither. It can’t be one and not the other.
Thats the crux of it. Martial shouldn't have retaliated but he did nothing worse than Lamela.
I wonder what would have happened if Martial had gone down like Lamela instead of retaliating? Red card for Lamela?
I'm big supporter of VAR but how Martial gets punished and not Lamela is beyond me.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Brilliant. So the owners get rid of themselves....
Once the new owners are in. Where is the evidence that the current owners have any intention of selling?
Ha ha.
We'll just have to wait for them to sell. I know it's not what people want to hear, but sadly, that's what we'll have to wait for.
While Woodward is in charge, we won't ever win the league. That's pretty obvious. And Woodward won't be sacked by the current owners.

GameOn

You can lose.

You can lose at home.

You can even have an off-day and lose by 3 or 4 goals against a true elite team.

But losing 1-6 at home against Tottenham, while showing no fight/heart whatsoever, might be the lowest point in recent club history.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If Mourinho ends up winning either the PL or CL with spurs then Woodward has to be on thin ice.
What? Mourinho?
Is this the same Mourinho who was hounded out of Old Trafford for being:
Toxic
Past it
Over the hill
Clueless
Outdated
A dinosaur
Such a terrible manager that he only took us to 2nd with 81 points in his second season.
Blah blah blah.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
You can’t sugar coat a 6-1 hiding at home and there was a lot to be unhappy about, however, it’s not the end of the World. I still have complete faith in Ole and I’m prepared to take a few poor results whilst he looks for the right blend. I’ve said it before, but we need fight in midfield and at the back and the sooner we get Phil Jones back in the side, the better. Fernandez is now being found out and he’s far too lightweight. Pogba is wasting his talent, both centrebacks lacked heart today. You could have replaced any of those players today with Jones and it would have been an improvement.

Bad day at the office, but it’s only 3 games in and not time to panic. Time to stick with Ole at the wheel.
I'm trying to decipher this post. Is it sarcasm or genuine.

Nik70

You can’t sugar coat a 6-1 hiding at home and there was a lot to be unhappy about, however, it’s not the end of the World. I still have complete faith in Ole and I’m prepared to take a few poor results whilst he looks for the right blend. I’ve said it before, but we need fight in midfield and at the back and the sooner we get Phil Jones back in the side, the better. Fernandez is now being found out and he’s far too lightweight. Pogba is wasting his talent, both centrebacks lacked heart today. You could have replaced any of those players today with Jones and it would have been an improvement.

Bad day at the office, but it’s only 3 games in and not time to panic. Time to stick with Ole at the wheel.
You had me until Phil Jones. :lol: Not sure about your Bruno analysis either but I agree that we still need to back Ole.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Villa beating Liverpool 4-1 after 39 mins.

Not excusing today but there’s obviously a lot wrong with the prep and rest this year.
Doesn't seem to be affecting Tottenham or Villa, or Everton for that matter.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

First attempt at a stream - so skip the first 5 mins :wenger: but essentially this is without a shadow of a doubt the worst run club in football - pound for pound considering the resources it has.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
So, let me start by saying that that performance today hurt. It hurt a lot to sit through that limp, cowardly, pathetic attempt at playing a football match. I've been watching United for 30 years and that's the worst I can remember, and I've seen some stinkers, especially in the last 7 years.

I'm also going to say that Ole is far from blameless in this today. As he said, he picked the team and set them up. He picked Bailly, Maguire, Pogba, AWB, Shaw and all the rest who put in the worst performance of their careers. His substitutions were terrible too. I think something was said at halftime and that's why Fernandes didn't come out second half - think we might hear more about that.

Having said all of that, now let me turn my attention to the board. The lack of care that these guys display for this club is soul destroying. Ole did a good job last year and I think most will agree that while it was far from pretty at times, he got the job done and we were on to something. 3rd place finish, champions league, time to kick on. What the board has managed to do is destroy all of that positivity, all that momentum, by yet again failing a manager who is trying his best and bleeds Man Utd. Our activity in strengthening the team has been nothing short of embarrassing with rival clubs snickering at our ineptitude. We have players like Shaw coming out and saying that we need to keep up with our rivals. We have Ole, very diplomatically, saying that we need to improve the squad. And what do we get. Penny pinching and cluelessness from the top. VDB is no doubt a good player, but what we needed? No. he hasn't even started a PL game. Cavani? I mean, I'm sure he'll do okay but WTF? Telles, same as Cavani, good player, but a priority? No. The main areas we have needed to strengthen have been overlooked because they don't want to spend the feckin money. Idiots, just idiots.

Now we could go out and sign Sancho tomorrow. But so what? We're already way off the pace, moral is in the shitter and we have a hill to climb with a manager under pressure from the start. I hope the international break works in our favour and the players come back with clear heads and some fitness, otherwise we won't see Ole in charge for long and the season will be damage limitation.

Gutted.

sparx99

Doesn't seem to be affecting the likes of Arsenal, Villa and Everton.
With the fixture congestion I think everyone will take points off of each other. Could be 75-80pts to win the league this year. Everton, Spurs, Arsenal etc could spring a surprise.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
So, let me start by saying that that performance today hurt. It hurt a lot to sit through that limp, cowardly, pathetic attempt at playing a football match. I've been watching United for 30 years and that's the worst I can remember, and I've seen some stinkers, especially in the last 7 years.

I'm also going to say that Ole is far from blameless in this today. As he said, he picked the team and set them up. He picked Bailly, Maguire, Pogba, AWB, Shaw and all the rest who put in the worst performance of their careers. His substitutions were terrible too. I think something was said at halftime and that's why Fernandes didn't come out second half - think we might hear more about that.

Having said all of that, now let me turn my attention to the board. The lack of care that these guys display for this club is soul destroying. Ole did a good job last year and I think most will agree that while it was far from pretty at times, he got the job done and we were on to something. 3rd place finish, champions league, time to kick on. What the board has managed to do is destroy all of that positivity, all that momentum, by yet again failing a manager who is trying his best and bleeds Man Utd. Our activity in strengthening the team has been nothing short of embarrassing with rival clubs snickering at our ineptitude. We have players like Shaw coming out and saying that we need to keep up with our rivals. We have Ole, very diplomatically, saying that we need to improve the squad. And what do we get. Penny pinching and cluelessness from the top. VDB is no doubt a good player, but what we needed? No. he hasn't even started a PL game. Cavani? I mean, I'm sure he'll do okay but WTF? Telles, same as Cavani, good player, but a priority? No. The main areas we have needed to strengthen have been overlooked because they don't want to spend the feckin money. Idiots, just idiots.

Now we could go out and sign Sancho tomorrow. But so what? We're already way off the pace, moral is in the shitter and we have a hill to climb with a manager under pressure from the start. I hope the international break works in our favour and the players come back with clear heads and some fitness, otherwise we won't see Ole in charge for long and the season will be damage limitation.

Gutted.
Criticising the recruitment is an obvious target.
But that needs to be balanced by the inability of the coaching staff to actually improve our players.
Why have pretty much all of our recent signings gone backwards.

sparx99

Gutted.
Fernandes is known for blowing up at teammates. There is video from his Sporting days. I personally love that as this group needs higher standards and a bollocking now and then.

Totally agree with what you've said about the board sucking all positivity out the new season.

The thing is I do think we need Telles, Van De Beek and Cavani but all three could have been done well before the season started. Sancho is a player we clearly need in a position that has been neglected for years.

When it comes to recruitment as well the board don't seem to understand that failing to get player this year leaves means the next window/s business gets bigger. Most will agree we need a CB and DM next summer (replacing Matic and clearly CB is an ongoing weakness). If we don't get a RW this year then that is 3 huge deals we need to do that summer instead of 2. Not to mention ongoing squad turnover and renewal. We keep letting important areas slide year after year and its a snowball effect.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
With the fixture congestion I think everyone will take points off of each other. Could be 75-80pts to win the league this year. Everton, Spurs, Arsenal etc could spring a surprise.
All three of those have got top class managers.

arthurka

37 years as a Utd fan, never been ashamed of being a Utd fan but today I was. Just shambolic throughout and the summer has been the same. Everything this club was all about has been broken down. Nothing there to like anymore.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Has someone posted Evra’s post match? Don’t want to rehash old news

Gopher Brown

But that needs to be balanced by the inability of the coaching staff to actually improve our players.
This really is puzzling. I was looking at the players we’ve signed in the last few years - how many of them have actually improved their levels? I’d say none of them. It’s not an Ole problem, as it was the same with Van Gaal and Mourinho. Is it to do with the support for players off field? Is it to do with the commercial commitments our players have?

I’d say only Martial is a signed player who has actually developed at all, the others who have improved are McT, Rashford and Greenwood, all youth team products.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
I don't think they have. They finished last season well. This season has just begun. Confidence is on the floor. That's why 80m defenders can't pass the ball 20 yards, not because they're suddenly shit.

Thepinhead

Trying to find post match comments from our captain. Could only find post match interviews from Ole and Scott Mctominay. Tell me it isn't true that the captain of Manchester United can't go and face the music on day like this. What on earth is going on here. So many people in this club not taking responsibility.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Anyone can lose a game of football. Anyone can make a mistake, or six. But there's no excuse for that workshy, lazy, gutless effort today. They all need to have a word with themselves.

goatboy

I used to have a business coach working with Senior Managers at a previous company on a regular basis, he also did sports coaching (psychological aspect) with Fulham & Blackburn. He was a big red and the psychological aspect of coaching has always intrigued me so it was interesting to chat with him about football in general and the work he'd do with football players and coaches etc. and how it differed from what he was doing with us.

One of the things he was big on was honest self awareness; assessing yourself non judgmentally but completely honestly and then either working on your limitations to bring yourself up to where you needed to be or accept this is just not an area of strength for you personally and find a working solution to turn the weakness into a strength.

When someone lacks self awareness it's the job of the coach to bring it to their attention, hopefully helping them to come to the realisation themselves but, if necessary, telling them directly.

Why doesn't anyone seem to be doing anything like this self reflection at OT?

Right across the boards you've got players week in week out playing the same ridiculous passes into trouble or attempting Hollywood balls that they'll pull off maybe 1 time out of 20.

Same can be said of the squad mindset; how many times have we seen them capitulate when the chips are down?

Today demonstrated in my view just how poorly equipped we are in this respect in particular; our Captain and 'star' midfielder in particular seem bereft of character and our Manager chose to sub at half time the only player who's shown any glimpse of having the right kind of mindset for the club to move forward.

At the end of the day I firmly believe the root of all of our problems lies with the Glazers and Woodward, but that doesn't excuse what seems to be a shocking lack of honest self awareness from our players and Manager; mouthing what they perceive to be what the fans want to hear simply doesn't cut it anymore, surely?

Reactions: Penna

Steven-UK

Anyone can lose a game of football. Anyone can make a mistake, or six. But there's no excuse for that workshy, lazy, gutless effort today. They all need to have a word with themselves.
The last 12 games have been garbage, not just today. We are a club in free-fall..... without a parachute, seemingly.

Steven-UK

Unlucky today
:lol::lol::lol: what?? Unlucky? we got played off the park, even before the sending off. It should and could have been 4-1 before Martial wiped that guy's face. We are an absolute joke of a club at the moment, from top to bottom.

dalriada

Trying to find post match comments from our captain. Could only find post match interviews from Ole and Scott Mctominay. Tell me it isn't true that the captain of Manchester United can't go and face the music on day like this. What on earth is going on here. So many people in this club not taking responsibility.
I saw Scott McTominay's interview - always wears his heart on his sleeve and he was genuinely embarrassed and angry, I thought. You do wonder if we have the right captain, or if Harry's problems over the summer have affected his confidence.

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
We’re going to be in serious trouble come November at this rate. If we play even remotely similar to how we did today we’ll be down in the relegation zone looking at our fixtures.

Lennon7

:lol::lol::lol: what?? Unlucky? we got played off the park, even before the sending off. It should and could have been 4-1 before Martial wiped that guy's face. We are an absolute joke of a club at the moment, from top to bottom.
Sarcasm truly is lost over the internet

Lennon7

Maguire just isn’t the right man for the club I don’t think, never mind captain. He’s not got anything I’d expect us to be looking for in a centre back

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 426 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Man Utd 2:1 Tottenham
  • 15% Man Utd 1:1 Tottenham