PL W FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 1:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 11 April 2021

abailey123

That second half was some of the best football I’ve seen from a United side for several years. Movement, one / two touch football, clinical.
All 3 goals were outstanding!

Charlie Foley

Great post. Good work
It may have taken us 11 attempts, but...

- We finally beat a Mourinho team at his home ground
- We finally scored more than 1 goal against a Mourinho team at his home ground

2004 (EUR) Porto 2-1 Man Utd
2004 (PREM) Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd
2005 (L/CUP) Chelsea 0-0 Man Utd
2006 (PREM) Chelsea 3-0 Man Utd
2007 (PREM) Chelsea 0-0 Man Utd
2009 (EUR) Inter Milan 0-0 Man Utd
2013 (EUR) Real Madrid 1-1 Man Utd
2014 (PREM) Chelsea 3-1 Man Utd
2015 (PREM) Chelsea 1-0 Man Utd
2020 (PREM) Spurs 1-1 Man Utd
2021 (PREM) Spurs 1-3 Man Utd

:)

keithsingleton

Are you telling me if that level of contact happens in a crowded penalty area then a penalty is awarded ? Not a chance. It was a disgraceful decision by the referee and VAR (for referring it back). I’d almost question the referees integrity on this one and question his partiality towards Spurs. It will go down in PL history as being one of those groundbreaking, most baffling decisions ever.
Of course not, just telling you Mourhino was complaining about Pogbas elbow. :D

Yorke to Cole

I thought Gary Neville's reading of the game was wrong when he highlighted why United always come from behind to win games. Yes, we created little in the first 30 minutes, but we were not in overwhelming danger either. We actually then scored, only for it to be disallowed.

I thought the second half performance was exceptional. There was a character in the team that was not there 18 months to 2 years ago. To have provided such a positive reaction to a dubious decision (to say the least), shows the progress that is being made.

This was encapsulated by the movement, the interchanging and quick passing of the midfield. Pogba's performance was exceptional. He lead the charge and showed the way and produced a performance that MourInho could only dream of getting out him.

Introducing Greenwood during the latter part of the game was a masterstroke. His energy, enthusiasm and abilty to pay attention to the spaces where he could do damage to Tottenham and settled the match.

Excellent effort and we must ry to maintain this consistency for the rest of the season.

Last edited:
Reactions: mazhar13

Amarsdd

I didn't saw the game. What happened with Son?
Scott punched him in his face and knocked out like 5 of his teeth. It was very lucky for Scott to not get sent off for that and extremely courageous of Son to carry on and score a goal mere minutes after with his mouth still bleeding all over the place.

Halftrack

I didn't saw the game. What happened with Son?
Son came at McTominay with a raised arm, and McTominay tried to push it out of the way. He slightly miscalculated the push (as he was more focused on carrying the ball) and in addition to batting away Son's hand, he also slightly grazed his cheek. Son predictably made a meal of it, and both the ref and VAR bought it.

Last edited:

Red00012

We received 5 yellow cards in that game, I don't remember it being a dirty game at all.

Same on Thursday, a handful of yellow cards in a game which wasn't the least bit dirty.
If Maguire gets booked Sunday he’s out for the Liverpool game

Foxbatt

I don’t understand how we can go from so utterly hopeless to brilliant between halves. I wonder what’s in the half time tea.

Big shout out to AWB today – I thought he was a one man right wing and it makes us so much more irrepressible when we can attack down both sides.

For the first time in ages, we won a big game and it feels like the right flank was more instrumental than the left.
Exactly. We did not counter attack only. We pushed players forward too. We always seem to have four or five in attacking positions. The one touch passing too. Normally Rashford would not have passed it but would try something on his own. Today he did and normally Fred would have not been in that forward position. Today he was. We can play like this. So why not play like this always?

crossy1686

career ending
This was one of the most enjoyable games this season for me, for the result and because I decided to visit the match day thread on here for a laugh, I usually steer clear because it's an emotional cess pit on a good match.

For the first time in a long time the match day thread was actually positive. Event at 1-0 down people we annoyed about the ref, VAR, Spurs, Son, Jose etc. Not once did it spill over into "the manager is shit, sack him, sell all the players, feck the club" etc.

Fred got some shit but it was only about his performance, no one was saying he shouldn't wear a United shirt ever again.

Feels like we might have hit a turning point where people are starting to believe it's not all that bad and clear progress is being made.

Fitchett

Agree with the general feelings on here. That was a great win, showing real skill and spirit to overcome consistently shit and biased refereeing throughout the match. One step closer to securing CL football next year, 2nd place in the PL this year and Kane's signature in the summer.

Tapori

Top 5 performances in our season.

The level of mentality to come back and win when you face crucial decisions not going your way, was key to overcoming any of the team and players' own deficiencies against still a dogged spurs team

The fact the winner came late on was testament to the type of play we saw in that 2nd half and it was lovely.

That disallowed goal will be critical in improving VAR yes, but it's the officiating.
Like in cricket, this decision was not VAR specfic; it was actually a chance for and opportunity to show how good OUR officials are.

We think you might want to check this - fine
Is it clear and obvious enough of an error to overturn?
Have a look ref - there you go- just to be on the safe side.

Ref decides: YES it was clear and obvious enough to overturn my initial decision to let play continue and therefor the goal the resulted should not stand.

NO - This was the referees decision and his alone. Anywhere else he doesn't give that, he didn't give it and when he checks he somehow someway decides to use slow-motion rather than the check the full speed and flow of the action.

Cavani - **** hero
Greenwood - Excellent cameo and surely contender for the Euros on finishing alone.
Pogba - Oh Paul, Paul Paul Paul, why can't you do this every week and stay?
Fred - **** legend and insanely inconsistent.

Fernandes - Good

Rahsford is clearly injured at this point and that Ref needs to be evaluated; lad was hacked to the back of the foot and no foul given

Tactics:
Ole got this right: Cavani up top, With Bruno and Pogba interchanging across the spaces between the midfield and defence of spurs and Rashford prowling the wings/inside/outside channels
McT - Always a pass or decision away from being a top midfielder in this match but progressed.

MagLof decent with a few lovely passes between the lines FIRST TIME and down the channels.

Shaw - Grew
AWB - knitted some nice phases of play after a inconsistent start
Henderson - Solid and vital save from Kane

You can see the team chemistry simmering to the boil soon.

Last edited:

LDUred

After Fred had scored Son should have just randomly run into our nearest player. It would surely have been looked at, at the very least.

Seriously, though, we were excellent today and the important thing is that we didn't let it affect our quality of play. We could have had 4 or 5 today. Let's hope that result galvanizes us for the run in.

Pogba needs to be given that free role and allowed a free reign to influence today. He was our MoTM today.

Man of the Match

Paul Pogba image Paul Pogba 51% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw