PL D FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:2 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 27 April 2023

Cpt Negative

Yes, it seemed like they took their feet off the gas, or was it us to suddenly wake up after their 2nd goal?

It sure was weird when they took Perisic off with his face showed being perplexed, and also to my relief.
I think it was a wake up call. At 2-1 we decided to play again and created chances, then went back to slow passing which allowed them a foothold

Cloud7

I only got to watch the first half because I fell asleep at halftime. When I woke up at 2am and checked the score I assumed I was going to see a dominating win from us :lol:

Dan_F

So why is he in the match squad? If ETH has no intention of using him then surely there must be someone else who can take his place. Letting him sitting there match after match together with the reserve keeper makes no sense to me.
Who would you prefer to be in the squad, or should Ten Hag have a player less in the bench? I don’t really see how adding Pellestri to that game last night would have improved anything, other than trying something for the sake of it.

Judas

Open to offers
Slept on it, still annoyed. We've got enough quality and experience to close out a game when leading 2-0 at half time. It's not just one of those nights, its a repeated issue.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
Think the issue is physically. We can't play more than a half since February.

Whether Ten Hag fitness team is not good enough, or some of the players are not fit enough, it has to change next year surely.

Red00012

I'd like EtH to play the reserves against Villa, accept defeat, identify players who could fulfill a role in the last few fixtures, rest every single first team player, and let them come back slightly more rejuvenated for the run in.
It’s our home form that is getting us top 4 so it would be stupid to rest players for a Villa side that are on a very good run

K Stand Knut

Slept on it, still annoyed. We've got enough quality and experience to close out a game when leading 2-0 at half time. It's not just one of those nights, its a repeated issue.
If it’s a repeated issue, maybe your first sentence is a little contradictory?

We clearly haven’t got the experience or the quality at the right depths. It’s a big issue for me and highlights that there is a massive amount of work still to do

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
There's no doubt the amount of football we've played this season is having a huge impact. Especially when the quality of the squad is as shallow as ours. The next 8 games aren't going to be pretty bit will tell us a lot about the mentality of the team. Top 4 won't be easy.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Hectic season has taken it's toll however the tale of of this season has prove certain individuals remain flaky and ETH needs to move forward without those players.
We have tried to compete in every competition with a squad that is far to shallow in quality. Leaving some players playing too much or trying to play while carrying knocks. It needs to change. You can do it when you have basically two teams. We can't and it is taking it's toll. We will get Top 4 but it will be more of a scramble than a graceful procession.

Hughes35

I'm actually not that annoyed or anything. I just think the players ran our of legs after the FA cup marathon. Actually quite pleased with the effort they showed.

They put in a real shift for both games, and ultimately an FA cup win and a Tottenham draw is job done. It seals another final and top 4, so as far as I'm concerned that's mission accomplished!

It has even further highlighted the lack of depth we have though. We need a good summer..... as everybody is already aware of on here.

Performances:

- Luke Shaw was absolutely brilliant again as a CB. I love him there, but he's quite similar to Martinez so Luke will continue as first choice LB and Martinez stand in.
- Casemiro was great at winning the ball, but very slow and sloppy in possession.
- Rashford, Sancho, Bruno and Eriksen were good
- Fred was an absolute disaster
- The rest were ok

AFC NimbleThumb

Club needs selling & the season needs to end. Absolutely pissed off with how this season is ending but at least we have certain players showing they shouldn’t be here in the coming years. I trust EtH sees that too.

IRN-BRUno

Very frustrating result, we seem determined to make everything as difficult as possible. That's not the first time this season that we've had a good 1st half and then don't turn up in the 2nd. It's often noticeable straight after the restart as well, we immediately concede or get put under pressure with corners etc.

Reaction after the first goal was good, Bruno should have scored which would have finished them off but it barely lasted 5 minutes before they dropped off again.

On paper that was the easiest game of the next 3, if we don't beat Villa then things start getting more uncomfortable.

captaincantona

First half was exactly what we wanted. 2 goal cushion while we still had a bit of running in us. After that the game management was so poor.

Honestly, while Casemiro has been unreal for us generally, he has looked extremely leggy throughout these last few games. His first time passing and positioning still spot on but right now he really has looked cumbersome, slow and even clumsy. Still easily doing enough to start every game but needs legs around him.

fred is capable of those games - just a disaster.

Other than that I don’t know how Weghorst gets on ahead of Sabitzer. Anyway, just real frustration after that second half.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Squad depth is too poor when you consider the amount of games this lot has played. We cant rely on our back ups. Its why EtH rarely changes his teams. The drop in quality is something else.

I look forward to the coming and goings this summer. Should be very interesting.

Hughie77

Should have killed that game off pretty easy, but have gone backwards away from home in last few weeks . I'm gutted and bit pissed off that we went way to passive in 2nd half.
I will only give them a bit of leeway through the 120 mins on Sunday.. Villa at home we need 3pts.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The thing with the squad and new owner. We do actually need somebody who will just say get rid of certain players, just worried that we might get a wants a stupid price for a player owner and then said players will still be here next season. This squad badly needs culling,

Jeffthered

... just thinking about last night's game. One of the most disappointing performances (second half) for me. Our lack of real top quality players, and in some players, a lack of desire, is becoming increasingly obvious, as anticipated really.

I do hope we will not regret dropping those two points, because the next few games for us will be v v v difficult.

Jeffthered

Squad depth is too poor when you consider the amount of games this lot has played. We cant rely on our back ups. Its why EtH rarely changes his teams. The drop in quality is something else.

I look forward to the coming and goings this summer. Should be very interesting.
Absolutely. Totally agree.

jesperjaap

I agree with Malacia, he has looked loose in his possession of the ball and positioning has been suspect. I felt Casemiro was a bit passive again and has not been great since returning from his suspension.

First half was decent, but we need a springboard of results again as the last three Thusdays have had their fair share of mishaps. I do think physical and mental fatigue is prevalent. We just need to somehow keep going!
Yes, not just Casmeiro but a few have dropped off a bit since returning. Rashford hasn’t got that incredible form he had since the world cup since he has come back, Eriksen has looked leggy defensively especially at times.

None of them have been poor, just dropped below the great levels they were playing at and at times it was the first twos form that was carrying us really.

Still we have another chance at the weekend to cement the top four places as Villa are the form team at the moment.

I have been confident for months we will finish in the top four and still am now. However its confidence really in the other teams inconsistency around us not allowing them to close the gap, a bit like when we finished second under Solkjear.

Maticmaker

After the high drama of the cup semi- penalty shoot out, I was expecting some sort of adverse reaction and was presently surprised at our first half performance. Thinking at 0-2 up at half time, this is going to be easier than I thought... then we forgot to come out for the second half and were lucky to escape with a point.

What as happened to Fred? He was always prone to losing the ball or the odd missed pass, but yesterday almost every touch he had was near disaster; losing the ball in poor areas, miss-passing, ridiculous tackling, slow on the turn, running about aimlessly, you name it!
Fred has not been a first choice or not played a full game for a while so it could be that he 'cannot be ar**d' because he knows he is on ETH's 'get rid list' for summer?

Maticmaker

This is the kind of question you need to ask when he plays like the best midfielder in the world, not when he keeps losing the ball.
Wouldn't go as far as saying 'best midfielder' in the world, but would agree in recent months he has cut down on mistakes, and playing at times ten yards further up the pitch, has looked a different player, especially when paired with Case; but he's blotted his copy book somewhere along the line in recent times and yesterday he wasn't just poor, he was terrible.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Club needs selling & the season needs to end. Absolutely pissed off with how this season is ending but at least we have certain players showing they shouldn’t be here in the coming years. I trust EtH sees that too.
We can't keep on writing off seasons.
I have said in years gone by, that every year we seem to write off a season for one reason or another.
Last year, was Ole's disaster year - write off.
This year is ETH's first season - write off.
Next year will be the new owners' first season - write off.

In fairness, we have won a trophy AND we are in the final of another Cup competition, so this year isn't a write-off, but we must continue to improve and aim to compete with MCFC for the league. Unless Qatar takes over the club, I can't see how we can compete. Middle Eastern owners tend to be ruthless and demand results. They won't take fools lightly and that is the only way we shall be able to compete against MCFC.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
In the match day thread, I noted that many people seemed to think that we'd steamroll Spurs into oblivion.
The moment it was announced that the manager had been sacked, I stated that the probability of winning this game went down substantially and in fact, the odds were now in Spurs' favour.
I actually think we got a good result - I expected a loss.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
That was a truly professional last 20 minutes. We just needed the draw and created some half chances. More importantly we snuffed out all their attacks. Well done lads.

I'm happy! 6 over Spurs with a 2 games in hand and 7 over LP with a game in hand. Our odds for top 4 just improved.
Forgetting the patheticly low bar for being happy, Spuds scored in the 79th minute. Nothing professional about the last 20 minutes.

RuudTom83

It was as if the first half was too easy and United got bored.

The mentality is very questionable, has been for years…any whiff of success and they switch off!

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Forgetting the patheticly low bar for being happy, Spuds scored in the 79th minute. Nothing professional about the last 20 minutes.
Sorry for rounding. We owned the last 15 minutes or so to get the draw and all but wrapped up top 4. Given that, I don't get all the negativity.

crossy1686

career ending
Story of the season. We haven’t got the midfield to keep the ball and weather a storm, but people will insist a CF is our highest priority

always_hoping

We have tried to compete in every competition with a squad that is far to shallow in quality. Leaving some players playing too much or trying to play while carrying knocks. It needs to change. You can do it when you have basically two teams. We can't and it is taking it's toll. We will get Top 4 but it will be more of a scramble than a graceful procession.
A likely stumble over the line for a top 4 finish, and I suppose none of us supporters should be any bit surprised if we see more poor 2nd half's of football against freshers teams with better bench options in the remaining games.

Zed 101

You know what maybe DeGea doesn't save the second goal but he is looking at the spurs player for an excuse rather than making any effort, he is a flimsy man.

Still annoyed that we didn't take our opportunities to win that game, conceding goals is one thing but we had them on toast and fluffed our lines

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Sorry for rounding. We owned the last 15 minutes or so to get the draw and all but wrapped up top 4. Given that, I don't get all the negativity.
Probably because Spuds stopping attacking as hard. It's not like they have a winning mentality or anything at the moment with budget Frank Lampard in charge.

The question is why we had to concede 2 goals in the first place (could and should have been 4 probably based on their chances) to be able to play against one of the worst teams in the PL at the moment morale-wise.

And it's not like we were assured in the first half as well. Although I agree the draw is not the worst result in the world (I thought two draws against Villa and Spuds would see us to 4th, even if less comfortably as it should be).

freddie the red

The usual suspects and, as usual, suspect.....that about sums up the players and the team at the moment.

DSG

In the match day thread, I noted that many people seemed to think that we'd steamroll Spurs into oblivion.
The moment it was announced that the manager had been sacked, I stated that the probability of winning this game went down substantially and in fact, the odds were now in Spurs' favour.
I actually think we got a good result - I expected a loss.
I can see how you’d think that, I did too a bit. But Spurs were objectively awful in the first half and until they got the goal in the 2nd half we’re pretty bad as well. I mean the lack of pressure they exhibited while defending — even in their own half mind you — was comical.

The fact that we let another lead slip is a mentality / managerial issue. The fact remains that in order for us to play well, Eriksen has to be in the lineup. Fred is pretty poor as the 2nd midfielder next to Casemiro. We all knew coming into the season that McFred were nowhere near the required quality. Yes, we did bring in Cas and Eriksen (thank god), but we need more quality in depth there this summer.

AFC NimbleThumb

We can't keep on writing off seasons.
I have said in years gone by, that every year we seem to write off a season for one reason or another.
Last year, was Ole's disaster year - write off.
This year is ETH's first season - write off.
Next year will be the new owners' first season - write off.

In fairness, we have won a trophy AND we are in the final of another Cup competition, so this year isn't a write-off, but we must continue to improve and aim to compete with MCFC for the league. Unless Qatar takes over the club, I can't see how we can compete. Middle Eastern owners tend to be ruthless and demand results. They won't take fools lightly and that is the only way we shall be able to compete against MCFC.
Mate I totally agree, I know it’s not en vogue to say but the Sevilla loss really took a lot of the excitement away from me as, second class European competition or not, I really wanted to win that after recent years of coming so close. I’m just absolutely exhausted supporting these players, I can’t keep getting my hopes up for the Fred’s & Maguire’s to sh.. the bed again.

I’ve fell in to the trap though, I’ll admit. League Cup & Top 4 is good but I can’t shake how anti-climatic things now feel.

Player Ratings

5.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 222 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd