PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2023

next_number_seven

Both goals were very preventable but still Spurs deserved to win.

I know this sounds reactionary but I worry for our season. There's a "big 7" now with lots of strong clubs below that like Brighton, Villa, Wolves etc.

I think we'll struggle for top 4. We're struggling to control games and to create chances.

Antony is a waste of money and time. I'd prefer to develop someone with more potential.

abailey123

For as much as people moan about midfield to have 18 shots on goal and not convert one is poor. The front 3 needs changing next week. Needless to say if VAR wasn’t incompetent we should have been 1-0 up.

Pscholes18

Bruno can feck off....he is so shite....should be no where near the armband....Rashford is the only player we would get a decent haul for.... I wouldn't miss him...even if he was on the left today he would of still been wasteful, he's a lazy player and tries to do too much.....sell Antony, refuese to work on his game which is obvious, Pelli deserves a start.

Chairman Steve

First half was fairly decent. No idea what happened in the second half. It’s pretty clear we need Hojlund in or Martial to get going asap. Rashford is absolutely not a striker.

We’ve had worse starts from the opening two games, but having a proper striker is integral. Freak 2nd goal made it look worse.

Todd

We actually looked good for a little while in the first half, that's the shame of this.

It's going to be a long season.

IamBurnsey

Why even bother getting upset by this lot, if they couldn't be bothered why should we and its not like this kind of mentality hasn't happened before!

oreon

2 signings isn't enough. Need a proper clearout and proper investment in the squad. People that thought everything was going to be ok and Ten Hag was going to work miracles are delusional.
Also ETH needs to spend the cash wisely. We bought the wrong type of midfielder and that's going to cost us games. A holding midfielder should have been priority over Mount

Gorse Hill Red

United just not up for it 2nd half. Felt like switch had been flicked off.
Simply not good enough.
All optimism at the beginning of the season gone after two games.

Chief123

45 shots against us in the first two premier league games. Brilliant. We’re going to take a few more hammerings. :nervous:

Maroon Lucifer

I feel like the players lost their composure after the horrific penalty no-call. Or was it the Bruno header? We had several good chances in the first half and at least 1 or 2 of those we really should have put away.
1st half, much much better than on Monday.
2nd half, we slipped back down to the same thing we saw against Wolves.
Playing a proper no. 9 would solve more issues than just goals scored.

jem

There comes a point where you just have to start identifying the common denominator in the woefully inept, inconsistent team. For me, it's players such as Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, Wan Bissaka. Add in underperforming recent additions such as Antony, Sancho, and Mount, as well as some very questionable moves from Ten Haag, and you get a very bleak looking future.

Samoerai Jack

Look, I'm fine with the lads struggling. It's Spurs away who actually have a decent coach this time, fair enough. But this whole thing is only going to work out if you commit to it. ETH's system is built on taking risks, all the time. Going for big rewards. You'll get caught out and that's part of the game. And when the machine isn't quite there yet you'll get caught out a lot. But you have to keep trying.

What I don't like is how United seems to just deflate. And that seems to me is still the hangover of ten years of bad direction. Weird management picks, weird contract extensions, wrong personalities scouted, all that have nursed a rot in the structure of our team. There's a rigidity, a frightened stiffness, that sneaks in when the players are up against it.

Guus Hiddink said that you'll get the best results when you're genuinely playing the game. When you're having fun, competing with a smile on your face. And that's something that seems far away from United in these situations.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Tottenham had great support. Old Trafford will not be the same thanks to incompetent management. The lack of clear cut decisions is going to cost us in the long run with this ongoing circus.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
I'm mostly infuriated by the fact we've made some truly average players from Spurs almost look like world beaters.

BrayRed

Very poor again.

No energy in midfield, too easy to over run.

They don't look that fit either if I'm being honest.

Work to do but we're 2 games in and can't have this slow start again

JagUTD

Feels like we are missing something and we've instead focussed on fixing issues that weren't really issues rather than fixing the actual issue...

M4YON

First time I've turned a game off before full time in a while.

That midfield 3 isn't working and I'm unsure if it ever will.

We created plenty of chances particularly in the first half much like last year nobody is finiahing them.

We need our new lad playing up top but just as importantly we need to get our wingers and midfielders scoring goals or we'll be in trouble this year.

FerociousCorgis

Sometimes I just don't know what these players are thinking. There's was a moment where two spurs players are down in our box, and we are 11v9. Shaw decides hey instead of controlling this chance and create something high percentage go long and lose ball. Dumbasses sometimes I swear

Zed is not dead

We actually played pretty good football during first half.
We looked lethargic during second half. Players stopped pressing, they stopped tracking the runners, and jogged back when Tottenham attacked.
Very bad performances from Garnacho and Antony, who spoilt every chance they got with bad decisions, and who barely helped defensively on their wing during second half time.

There’s a serious mental issue with this team

TheLord

A 3/10 performance this match.
Absolutely no single player gets a 5/10.

Disastrous midfield, nonexistent forward play, shaky defence.
Yes, "we are the best transition team in in the world" - whatever that means from the Boss!"

GledTheRed

The Mount signing was puzzling as we clearly didn't need him.

We ended last season poorly and have started this looking shite.

The jew spurs / Brighton gaffers get a tune starlight away without spending a kings ransom. Questions need to be asked of cone head.

Someone

Something
Should've taken our chances but here we are. Some decision by ETH needs to be questioned. Garnacho was poor the last game and played, Rashford was poor in the middle and played there again, and have Martial on the bench I don't understand why.

Garnacho, Rashford, Bruno, and Antony were very poor again. Long season ahead.

always_hoping

Disappointing, frustrating to lose and not score against mediocre Tottenham outfit. 1st half was decent and United could easily have been in front and that non award of the penalty proved important in the end. 2nd half poor, very disjointed summed up by the poor goals conceded with full backs switching off, lucky deflection on the 1st and OG on the 2nd. More than enough chances to score but simply not clinical enough nothing new with this group of players in that regard

Siorac

We're a nothing team. We have been one for a decade and we continue being one. And those who believe this is just about the lack of a striker are deluding themselves.

As long as we stick to manager-driven recruitment, nothing is going to change. We've had, Hojlund aside, our preferred XI on the pitch, an XI we spent what, 400m over the last couple of summers and yet the second half we looked like a bunch of strangers who lack footballing talent but make up for it in producing beautifully confused looks.

Baneofthegame

A 3/10 performance this match.
Absolutely no single player gets a 5/10.

Disastrous midfield, nonexistent forward play, shaky defence.
Yes, "we are the best transition team in in the world" - whatever that means from the Boss!"
While second half we were terrible, Onana is at least a 7.

Red71

We are just...mediocre. At best. Which is quite impressive after more than a year and 400 million spent. The results are what they are, but the football barely changed, the improvement minimal. If I watched this game or the previous one without knowing, I’d guess this was under Ole or Rangnick. Right side is all defense, no attack. Left side is all attack, no defense. Midfield is a bizarre mess, and there's no striker. It's a bit telling that the best passer on the pitch is the goalkeeper.

A philosophy that is proving quite hard to discern and a badly built squad, is all. In a season where every point may prove vital, this could get out of hand fast. Arsenal game is also fast approaching. Let’s hope this improves very fast.
This! The squad looks really badly put together. There are all sorts of excuses made about different managers and their own players etc but at this point, it’s nonsense. This bunch of players look clueless, like they don’t even know each other…spurs have a new manager with a completely different philosophy and half a team of new players and they looked like world beaters against us…this shouldn’t be possible but…

Last edited:

SirScholes

Until he gets the right players in and our new striker is fit
He needs to play the squad members, that’s what they are for
That means, if Martial is fit he has to start, if mctom is still here, he has to start.
He also needs to sack off Antony, and remove Bruno from captain in the short term, just let the bloke focus on the game and not anything less

Oranges038

First half was good. Good pace to the play and created some brilliant chances. Should have scored 2 but ended up lucky to go in level.

Second half got over run, work rate from the front 3 was shocking, midfield lost all control and Spurs ran the game.

Real lack of intensity in the general all round game play. Expected early in the season but the drop off from the first to the second half was huge.

FerociousCorgis

I feel like the players lost their composure after the horrific penalty no-call. Or was it the Bruno header? We had several good chances in the first half and at least 1 or 2 of those we really should have put away.
1st half, much much better than on Monday.
2nd half, we slipped back down to the same thing we saw against Wolves.
Playing a proper no. 9 would solve more issues than just goals scored.
Yep I agree. 1st half should've seen goals scored for sure. Team just imploded.

siw2007

Better team won. First half was decent but the second half was miserable, completely out thought, out fought and out played. We should have had a penalty in the 1st half but that wasn’t the reason we lost, it was a shocking team performance, we were completely useless in the final third and flopped on every occasion we created a chance. Bad misses from Bruno and Antony but Rashford looks very poor down the middle right now and needs to move back wide left.

BrayRed

Should also have been ahead at half time, not converting chances and then a 2nd half collapse

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 282 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd