PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2023

Pughnichi

What's the point of pre-season when every player looks off form, out of shape, and can't pass a ball?

Frustrating start to the season.
it’s amazing right!! Surely the point of pre season is to build up to be READY for the new season.

Both games now we’ve been bullied physically and looked off the pace. Can see some blowing after 70

Kopral Jono

I don’t think any money in the world will solve our problems unless we buy the right players.
With Ten Hag at the helm I'm pretty sure we'll do. This season thus far it's been a disasterclass from the Dutch baldie, though.

philippexyz

I prefer not to speak. If i speak, i'm in big, big trouble(from the mods).

Embarrassing. Can see ETH getting the sack by the end of the season, especially if new owners come in.

Baneofthegame

First half I thought we were the better team and should of gone in 1-0 up, second half was a disaster, no composure, just headless chickens.

edgecutter

How can a coach who’s been here for a couple weeks, spent less and lost his best player look infinitely better than you?
Spurs manager did a superb job with celtic on peanuts.

United is just so poorly run that we end up over spending every year. If the glazers could actually get competent people in Maguire, Sancho, Anthony, DVB would not be at the club.

Siorac

Ten Hag will quickly regret his decision to focus on being the best transitioning team instead of exerting a lot more control in that midfield.
I basically gave up on the season the moment those quotes came out.

Samoerai Jack

The Mount signing was puzzling as we clearly didn't need him.

We ended last season poorly and have started this looking shite.

The jew spurs / Brighton gaffers get a tune starlight away without spending a kings ransom. Questions need to be asked of cone head.
What

SirScholes

This! The squad looks really badly put together. There are all sorts of excuses made about different manager and their own players etc but at this point, it’s nonsense. This bunch of players look clueless, like they don’t even know each other…spurs have a new manager with a completely different philosophy and half a team of new players and they looked like world beaters against us…this shouldn’t be possible but…
Tbf they didn’t in the first half, who ever scored first won this game

cj_sparky

Should have lead at the break. Second half was hideous.

Shocking levels of energy and physicality in midfield, we are going to be overrun most weeks. Less said about the attacking players the better tbh.

Looking forward to the sniveling apology, just Shaw and Bruno to wheel out for them these days.

Melville Red

Decent first half and entertaining but wtf went wrong in the second half?
Spurs score early and we fall apart.
I can’t be arsed to type any more because I’m in such a bad mood.

CloneMC16

The thing is, the first half was actually decent. Well, the first 35 minutes. We should have been 2-0 up. Bruno missed a complete fecking sitter. The second half was absolutely dreadful. Things are not looking good. The attack and midfield are nowhere near good enough.

oreon

There comes a point where you just have to start identifying the common denominator in the woefully inept, inconsistent team. For me, it's players such as Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, Wan Bissaka. Add in underperforming recent additions such as Antony, Sancho, and Mount, as well as some very questionable moves from Ten Haag, and you get a very bleak looking future.
This is on ETH and the so called transfer committee. The lineup doesn't work. They are getting over run in midfielder. We can tell these players to play better but unless ETH figures a way to get more control in midfield. It won't matter. We need a proper holding midfielder next to Casemiro other wise no matter what the XI is we will get over run

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
Basically carrying last seasons form and doing nothing about it.

Crimson King

Look, I'm fine with the lads struggling. It's Spurs away who actually have a decent coach this time, fair enough. But this whole thing is only going to work out if you commit to it. ETH's system is built on taking risks, all the time. Going for big rewards. You'll get caught out and that's part of the game. And when the machine isn't quite there yet you'll get caught out a lot. But you have to keep trying.

What I don't like is how United seems to just deflate. And that seems to me is still the hangover of ten years of bad direction. Weird management picks, weird contract extensions, wrong personalities scouted, all that have nursed a rot in the structure of our team. There's a rigidity, a frightened stiffness, that sneaks in when the players are up against it.

Guus Hiddink said that you'll get the best results when you're genuinely playing the game. When you're having fun, competing with a smile on your face. And that's something that seems far away from United in these situations.
Appreciate actually reading a bit of optimism.

The collapses are certainly worrying. Takes them too long to get their heads back in the game. The best teams almost take afront if you take the lead against them and make you regret it. We completely lose any momentum we may have, and once we find it again it's too late.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
There comes a point where you just have to start identifying the common denominator in the woefully inept, inconsistent team. For me, it's players such as Bruno, Rashford, Shaw, Wan Bissaka. Add in underperforming recent additions such as Antony, Sancho, and Mount, as well as some very questionable moves from Ten Haag, and you get a very bleak looking future.
I've not seen it with Rashford since he stopped being a kid. He just doesn't fit any sort of system that wants to keep the ball or press. Quick and direct counter attacking is the only times he shines but as a footballer he leaves to much to be desired.

Disagree on AWB, Bruno and Shaw. Sancho looked good in pre-season, looked good coming on and should start next match.

Don't know what to think of Mount and Antony doesn't have much sand left in the hourglass.

Luffy

Gomu Gomu
Nottingham Forest are in trouble because we're right behind them, and I'm confident we will overtake them :)

Dixieland Delight

Well that was a game I hope to forget pretty quickly. The lads need to find the right recipe, and soon, because I doubt there's going to be any significant additions this window. Maybe 'that one' will return, but he's likely rusty as hell so I'm not seeing much early season hope there. Make it work boys, give us something at least.

Superunknown

We drew this 2-2 last season, so...we've technically regressed in this fixture.

In addition to that, we beat Wolves 2-0 last season and beat them 1-0 this year. So, in those two fixtures, we've actually scored 3 less goals than last year. :nervous:

Chicharo

Two major problems:

- We obviously won't score enough goals, as it was expected, unless Hojulnd turns out to be one of the signings of this century
- Casemiro can't play alone. We leave too much space in the middle. We need someone to play alongside him, and Mount is definitely not the guy. To make things worse, I'm not sure what Mount is actually capable of doing in this squad, and it's not that we got him cheaply

Long season ahead...

hobbers

As predictable as it was depressing.

ETH taking us backwards rapidly now

Gordon S

Coming in to the season I had genuinely thought we were a Harry Kane and a few reinforcement signings away from a title push… but nope, no chance. We're a £1bn away from a title push. Another pathetic, miserable performance.
We`ve spent more on new players than almost all other teams out there.
We have spent shitloads to support the new manager with the players he wants to improve our football. It feels like we are constantly at least 1bn and 10 players away from challenging somehow, a neverending nightmare

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Whoa, whoa, whoa, that presumes we are actually good. We're not.
Doesn't matter. Some of those Spurs players shouldn't be able to move the ball around our players like they're highly technical ballers. That was inexcusable. Let them do that against proper minnows, not a team like United who spend big and supposedly press.

moodyred

What ETH said before the game, applies post game.

It’s a new midfield and we have step up there,” he said. “We have to improve in possession. We were absolutely not good.

“It had to do with our rules and principles and we did not match those rules and principles in possession and then you do not get a good game.

“Also the players made so many unforced errors and we were below our standards from what we are used to and what our players are capable of.

“We have already seen in pre-season we can do much better and we’ve seen last year they can do much better so I’m sure they will improve quickly.”

Gloccamora

We will definitely get better but boy do we look weak physically. It's obvious at the start of the games but half way through it is like there's no contest. We look knackered.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
No need to panic yet but this isn’t the start to the season I had hoped for. We look to be off the pace all over the park. There’s not a lot of energy or quality. Obviously missing a proper No. 9 and Rashford can’t do that job. Hoping Martial can cover that job until Hoijlund is fit. Personally I wouldn’t have Antony anywhere near the starting 11. He plays like he won that shirt in a raffle.

RedIan

First half i felt was pretty even, we even shaded it.
2nd half Spurs played us off the park. We looked short on ideas, no structure, punting hopeful balls, Bruno way off his best. Maddison looks twice the player In that game.

ETH needs to sort out the structure quickly. Mount and Bruno doesnt work in midfield. Eriksons still class but no legs.

How long do we persist with Anthony, he's worst than last year. Rashford was not in the game. Garnacho two starts and two failures to impress.

No need to panic, get Amrabat in along side casamiro. Hojlund up front, Rashford left and Sancho right.

Mount Garnacho bench. Anthony.. sell

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Complete fecking mess - we could ship seven at Arsenal in a few weeks time. Bruno shouldn't be picked, let alone captain. Shaw was all over the shop, lost he man so often it was like the tv show of the same name, Mount anonymous again, Rashford clueless, he's incapable of holding the ball up. Nothing on the bench to change things... at least we won't be in the Europa next season because I can't see us being in the top seven.

Utter disgrace that we don't have a no.9 - I'd be willing to let garnacho have a run there because at least he's got pace. fecking awful, lots of "ones" onperformances

m1tch

Hardly surprised by this after the wolves game, we look well off the pace. It's a disgrace really that we're not ready for the season, and probably won't be for a few more games yet. Gonna be a rough start to the season.

Pughnichi

anyone watching citeh and wind themselves up even more by seeing some actual coherent football

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
Utter dross. Too many passengers again. Casemiro beginning to become a worry, which is a big worry.

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
I know that you’re all feeling sore but you need to appreciate that you’re a team in transition at the moment. You were never going to seamlessly slip into playing how Ten Hag wants you to play.
You were much the better side in all respects for the first half hour, and better in some respects throughout the game, you didn’t boss possession but you certainly bossed shots and were evens with shots on goal.
You’ll have days like this and then it’ll click.

The Purley King

Rashford is NOT a centre forward.
Why we persist with him up there I don’t know.
More worryingly, we were outfought in midfield again. No strength, no physicality.
Long season ahead at this rate…… lucky to have three points at this stage

Ronnie O'Sullivan

We are the Chelsea of last season. Potentially worse. The midfield is just awful, Bruno Fernandes looks like he ran a marathon before the game. ETH looked clueless by starting with the same awful team as last week, and we got found out really quickly. Looks like a very painful season ahead.

Salfordlad70

You spend the summer looking forward to the new season and two games in and you’re deflated.

We seem to have regressed. We’re still lumping the ball up to nobody and simply can’t keep the ball and retain possession because the movement is nonexistent and we’re playing players out of position. The shape is all wrong. Is it the players or the system or both?

We’re just two games in and yet there seems so little to be positive about. I’m finding it difficult to be optimistic.

Onana played well
Shaw was terrible
The centre backs did ok
Bruno was awful
Mount looked lost
Casemiro was too isolated and looked shattered
Rashford was Gashford
Antony was Antony

Let’s hope Rasmus gives us more threat and allows Rashford to play from the left where he’s actually a threat.

The right side of attack is a real problem.

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 282 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd