PL L FA Premier League

Tottenham Hotspur 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 August 2023

windycityfan

This team doesn’t do anything particularly well, except the long pass to the wingers that do nothing with it. Without ever controlling the ball through a progressing midfield, I don’t see how this system is sustainable. It’s not like we’ve got good goal scorers to put away the rare chances we get.

Either Mount plays more in the Eriksen mold, alongside Casemiro, or get Amrabat and sit Mount behind Bruno. Put Rashford back where he belongs, and start Martial, Sancho or Hojlund as 9. As for Antony, I’m at a loss as to what to do with him except try a different player.

‘Back to basics ETH- you waste preseason on a round peg square hole system, and your players are out of sync and out of clues.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
I saw Spurs hit the woodwork twice and have 2 more sitters in the 1st half but tame finishes. Must have been the first 15 mins
Does that include the Son mishit off a cross. Because that could easily been much worse, much earlier.

r0663664

Worships Man City
The only positive thing is Glazers might decide it is time to sell. Let's get it done today and 300 million funds made available immediately to ETH to buy. Maybe we can get a injury free striker, a 2 footer RW, one MF that can actually pass and dribble.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
The only positive thing is Glazers might decide it is time to sell. Let's get it done today and 300 million funds made available immediately to ETH to buy. Maybe we can get a injury free striker, a 2 footer RW, one MF that can actually pass and dribble.
Need to sell first, we're severely constrained by FFP / FSR.

And the last thing I would want to do is give the manager another blank check (regardless of whether it's ETH or someone else). That approach is how we got into this mess in the first place.

Cantonagotmehere

Yep mate, if they don't sell it sure feels like Roy Keane is right, we will become Spurs.

Woziak

You mean the same Brighton that beat us last three times we played them in EPL?
Brighton for me are dead certs for top 6 unless they lose the second best manager in the EPL, I could easily see new owners quickly becoming frustrated with ETH and his stubbornness ?

Gazautd18

I know I'm not the only one thinking we ain't going on another run like we did after bad start to last season?
Mount is not working in this system.
Garnacho Antony Rashford and Bruno, the less said the better.
Casemeiro looked jaded and as soon as the back 4 got pressured panic set in.
As many have said, what De Zerbi is doing at Brighton compared to the shitshow going on here is telling.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I know I'm not the only one thinking we ain't going on another run like we did after bad start to last season?
Mount is not working in this system.
Garnacho Antony Rashford and Bruno, the less said the better.
Casemeiro looked jaded and as soon as the back 4 got pressured panic set in.
As many have said, what De Zerbi is doing at Brighton compared to the shitshow going on here is telling.
De Zerbi is at arguably the best-run club in Europe, with the best possible supporting structure around him. If he joined us, he would struggle as all our managers post-SAF have.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
De Zerbi is at arguably the best-run club in Europe, with the best possible supporting structure around him. If he joined us, he would struggle as all our managers post-SAF have.
Aye. We’d do better to sign Brightons entire management and scouting structure than their manager. It’s ridiculous.

McTerminator

100%

At this point it should be obvious that the number one thing wrong with the club is the Glazers.

So many different debates about players, managers and other factors over the years, but the two constants are the Glazers and perpetual Failure.

Look at the teams doing well right now, Brighton, Brentford, City, Newcastle… the owners aren’t reminiscent of bono the clown’s less attractive cousin! Even Leicester seemed to experience most of their success before their owner sadly passed.

Owners make or break clubs and ours are the worst of the worst. No amount of money spent can change that.

Nothing will ever change while the Glazers are still at the club. Glazers Out

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
We need 500M to win the league. But 400M and 1 year should be more than enough to get some coherent play style.

At this rate giving him another billion wont solve the big problem. I dont believe our squad is so bad we cant ping 3 pass without resorting to long balls

To be fair to ETH all post Fergie managers seems to be reduced to a clown after 2 years managing us I dont know what's wrong with us. Maybe it's a curse

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
It's just so predictable. We played well in the first half and should have been 3-0 at half time. Shocking misses by Antony and Fernandes and the usual corruption by Oliver and Pawson in not awarding a blatant penalty for handball. But, as usual, we fail to kill a game off when on top and then collapsed in the second half. A few players need to be dropped. Play a front three of Pellistri - Hojlund - Amad when all three are fit.

I'm sick of Sancho being a timid waster, Rashford sulking and acting like putting an effort is beneath him. My patience with Antony has run out as well. The most inefficient footballer I've ever seen.

croadyman

We need 500M to win the league. But 400M and 1 year should be more than enough to get some coherent play style.

At this rate giving him another billion wont solve the big problem. I dont believe our squad is so bad we cant ping 3 pass without resorting to long balls

To be fair to ETH all post Fergie managers seems to be reduced to a clown after 2 years managing us I dont know what's wrong with us. Maybe it's a curse
£400m should have been enough,however he didn't help his cause by wasting around £145m on a winger who can't beat a player,lacks pace and too lazy to use right foot and a 10 who has Chelsea laughing all the way to the bank

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Brighton for me are dead certs for top 6 unless they lose the second best manager in the EPL, I could easily see new owners quickly becoming frustrated with ETH and his stubbornness ?
Only time will tell whether ETH is stubborn or thoughtful. Clearly he is implementing a new system. That always takes time, so he may be sticking with the same players because changing players around in the middle of the transformation will only delay said transformation. Or that may be his take on the situation. We know he is not sentimental and never shy to bench anybody.

The question is - why are our forwards missing chances they should be seizing? There is no direct causation between us adapting to a new system and Bruno, Rashford, etc. being unable to hit the target. We would still be shaky, because of the transformation, but if our forwards were firing goals on chances we do create, mood would be very different.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I hope ETH learns something soon. English football is physical and fast. Antony is a failed project, he is just unsuitable for PL. He might be successful elsewhere but not here. As soon as he realise this, he would improve this team alot. I am starting to think Poch should have been hired. 1 thing for sure, he won't buy Antony and Casemiro. If ETH doesn't win the next game, he will be under alot of pressure. United won't sack him as there is no manager available to take on this lot. We would like finish near Brighton and Spurs, that's mean bye bye top 4.

Levi1

Much better than the first game, especially the first half. Mount played very well too. Then it all fell apart. I don't know why, though I did expect it. Hard to say if the manager was out thought on tactics or whether the players buckled.

Couldn't believe that we started with the same 11, but wouldn't be as upset if we keep the same midfield next game, but what's clear is that Anthony needs to be dropped and that the players need to practice heading.

Some good signs of progress for sure. Would be nice if we could make quicker progress for once. Any potential title run is now out the door unless Hojlund hits the ground running.

meamth

Same old kryptonite of United post Fergie.

Couldn't finish chances. I swear if City players got those chances they buried it. Doesn't matter who it is, Nathan Ake would've finish those chances.

croadyman

I hope ETH learns something soon. English football is physical and fast. Antony is a failed project, he is just unsuitable for PL. He might be successful elsewhere but not here. As soon as he realise this, he would improve this team alot. I am starting to think Poch should have been hired. 1 thing for sure, he won't buy Antony and Casemiro. If ETH doesn't win the next game, he will be under alot of pressure. United won't sack him as there is no manager available to take on this lot. We would like finish near Brighton and Spurs, that's mean bye bye top 4.
Yeah there definitely needs to be more focus on signing mobile players who are both quick and physical. Failure to do this will see us constantly bullied in the majority of games

fallengt

Second goal is embarassing, own goal or not. It's like United knew they wouldn't never win so defense just go "feck it" mode

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think you are being very hard on yourself, first half the game was very open, second half you looked very tired and our midfield 2 just had more energy. I have no idea why you signed Mount though he is just so average. You lack a box to box midfielder.

Melvin Udall

rashford is a joke get him out the club
This is an awful take, but Rashford really isn’t very good as a center forward. Playing him there instead of left wing is a terrible idea, regardless of what other options are available at center forward.

croadyman

I think you are being very hard on yourself, first half the game was very open, second half you looked very tired and our midfield 2 just had more energy. I have no idea why you signed Mount though he is just so average. You lack a box to box midfielder.
We also lack someone who has that control

NoPace

I dunno, we were shocking for the first few minutes of the 2nd half and that shouldn't really be fitness-based. Seemed more like Ten Hag man marking Spurs to start worked well and then Ange came out with tweaks in the 2nd half because it didn't seem like the matchups were as clear (though I didn't watch the match super closely in a tactical nerd way as I often do, but with my GF like a normal person); I didn't notice Bruno tight on Bissouma (or handing him off to Rashford like in the first few minutes which seemed very clearly ordered by Ten Hag) or Casemiro following Maddison everywhere like in the first half.

First half was fine, coulda gone either way, but we looked devoid of ideas in possession and the same was true last week until Bruno made a great pass. Rashford will play better as an LW, but Mount, Antony, Garnacho (obviously he should improve over time at his age) and Sancho may just not be up to it.

If we have the same GD as last year we won't finish in the top 5 and right now our midfield looks a fair bit worse than the Bruno-Eriksen-Casemiro trio was last year when healthy. Enjoying Onana though, and the strikers can't be any worse than last year overall, so yeah I'm worried already.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Hasn't got the legs in these big 6 games,also been affected by that injury last year
I haven’t seen enough of him with United, he used to be a controller of a game but you would know better than me, for me Mount is one of those players that you really don’t know what his position is. The same as Deli Ali when we had him. You need to build the team around him to get the best out of him.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I dunno, we were shocking for the first few minutes of the 2nd half and that shouldn't really be fitness-based. Seemed more like Ten Hag man marking Spurs to start worked well and then Ange came out with tweaks in the 2nd half because it didn't seem like the matchups were as clear (though I didn't watch the match super closely in a tactical nerd way as I often do, but with my GF like a normal person); I didn't notice Bruno tight on Bissouma (or handing him off to Rashford like in the first few minutes which seemed very clearly ordered by Ten Hag) or Casemiro following Maddison everywhere like in the first half.

First half was fine, coulda gone either way, but we looked devoid of ideas in possession and the same was true last week until Bruno made a great pass. Rashford will play better as an LW, but Mount, Antony, Garnacho (obviously he should improve over time at his age) and Sancho may just not be up to it.

If we have the same GD as last year we won't finish in the top 5 and right now our midfield looks a fair bit worse than the Bruno-Eriksen-Casemiro trio was last year when healthy. Enjoying Onana though, and the strikers can't be any worse than last year overall, so yeah I'm worried already.
Good post, it’s funny hearing another fans perspective, I watched the game and for the first 20-30mins I was panicking, you were the better side. If Rashford or Bruno had scored, basic sitters, you would have went on to win, we both lack an out and out striker. Hopefully we get one in before the window closes.

croadyman

Good post, it’s funny hearing another fans perspective, I watched the game and for the first 20-30mins I was panicking, you were the better side. If Rashford or Bruno had scored, basic sitters, you would have went on to win, we both lack an out and out striker. Hopefully we get one in before the window closes.
Fancy you to get Gift Orban over us mainly because you actually have the money to sign him

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 282 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Tottenham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 27% Tottenham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Tottenham 1:1 Man Utd