CL D Champions League Group H

Manchester United 0:0 Valencia

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 October 2018

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Many would welcome Wenger. Then in a few months, those same people would want him sacked, too.
They simply want another toy to play with.

If you sack Jose, you need to have a better replacement ready....and that's not Wenger.
Surely a caretaker manager (not Wenger but Carrick or whoever) would be better though?

It would be something fresh and far less toxic for a start.

minoo-utd

No creativity in this team, too slow at the build up and no taking risks. How long do we have to wait to start winning? We have pretty difficult games coming next and we still strugle against shit and average teams. Jose got no solution it seems and I really think it's the right time now for a change. We need that attacking mind coach badly.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
I don’t understand what the plan was. United played as if the draw was a good result but it means you’re probably have to go to the Mestalla in the last game and at least draw which is most definitely not going to happen with the way you’re playing and with that crowd behind them.

klsv

"We had probably a couple of the biggest chances to win it but I have accepted the result as a fair result. I said in pre-season last season was phenomenal to finish second. And I don't say more than that.

"The players tried. They raised the level of their efforts. They raised the level of their intensity in spite of the fact we don't have many with that intensity. We don't have the technical quality to build from the back.

"We tried to do something we did well which was to stop a fast team on the counter attack. We knew we wouldn't create 20 chances. Our attacking players aren't in their best moments of confidence and individual level. We thought with three or four chances we would score and win the game.

"It is a not a bad result. Not a good result, but not bad. We have two matches against Juventus to make points. It is a very difficult group, yes.

"We have Newcastle before the league stops then we have Chelsea and Juventus in three days. It will be good for the team if we can beat Newcastle."

worldinmotion66

Don’t bother then. It’s times like this you support the side and earn those league titles. I’m fecking sick of standing in the Stretford End surrounded by people who think they are entitled to success and think they are above supporting the side on match day. By all means, moan and criticise, constructively ideally, but if you want to act like you’re above your supposed football team then jog on.
I haven't earned any titles, neither have you. And I don't feel entitled to anything.

I have supported this manager and team despite my reservations from day one, despite his absolute audacity to drag the club through the mud after we whimpered out against Sevilla last season, and despite his self preserving attitude that sees him constantly belittle all around him. He is continuing to play an ineffective, outdated style of football and you idiots still have the gall to chant his name during matches. No one can question the desire of that team tonight, but how much desire did our manager show? How much work ethic is he really showing? The players look like they aren't coached to attack, or are being continually instructed in a way that isn't working, isn't getting the best of their abilities and isn't at all considerate to the fans all over the world.

All I want is progression, desire and an attacking philosophy that matches the ambitions and traditions of the football club that I love. I know, and have known for some time that this won't happen under Mourinho, and I have continued to support him. You may question my loyalty all you want, as i will continue to question yours.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Do you really believe this? Yes, Valencia is having a hard time with some poor form, but they are still a great team. They are in place 14 in La Liga at the moment but are 5 points away from 3rd place. That is just how close La Liga is at the moment. They have scored only 5, but also only conceded 6. United have score 10 goals and conceded 12. Valencia won the last game and draw 4 games before that.

Some of you really underestimate La Liga teams. They are elite team beaters. If Valencia would have 25% better finishing they would be like Sevilla and trashing teams with more then 3 goals left and right. They will get at that point and you better hope its not before you meet them in Spain.
They're shit, I just watched them with my own eyes. Newcastle at the weekend is going to be 10 times harder and they are relegation level in the PL.

saivet

Possibly, idk if it's worth just sitting back and kicking them next, been pretty toothless going forward anyway.
It's not but given the direction we are heading in under Jose it's worth taking a risk rather than settling with inevitable failure.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The grass isn't always greener.
But the grass is currently dying and is covered in dog shit.

Loads of clubs get caretaker managers and a lot of the time it works out just fine. I don't see why we should persist with this crap when we should be looking to move on.

saivet

And this place is full of posters who actually believe him that the squad is that horrible. Fecking Lampard's Derby outplayed us at OT.
It's crazy. Nothing wrong with thinking we're not world beaters but to think this is as good as anyone can get out of the squad is bizarre.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
Yeah, it’s not good. It isn’t an acceptable level of performance, but I don’t see XI men not trying. I see an XI low on confidence and lacking real leadership and direction. By far the biggest factor in succeeding in sport is having that team spirit and believe. It’s why Fergie could make our squad men look like world-beaters.

If Mourinho went tomorrow, top managers would love to take charge of United as there is a lot of potential still there and the team are at their lowest ebb. They couldn’t be playing worse.
Absolutely. I've been saying for a long time that you can't continually have so many players lose form when they come to OT.

Oscar.Z.Acosta

Operating Theatre of Dreams.
I’m one of those aged misanthropes that hated that ‘rebranding’ of Old Trafford, but now it’s akin to The Mill Hill Theatre of Masochism when my friend’s wife was leading an Am-Dram performance of Pirates of Penzance (i.e. after 3 minutes my friend and I were severely depressed, looking for an exit strategy and in urgent need of industrial quantities of alcohol).

In the immortal words of Lenny Bruce, it’s not looking good, baby!

Parry Gallister

It's not but given the direction we are heading in under Jose it's worth taking a risk rather than settling with inevitable failure.
I get you. What I mean is that in fairness to Jose, he's tried to play more attacking/expansive football imo, it's just not really worked, we don't look smart enough in movements/sharp enough in passing when dominating the ball. His old players always say he doesn't really coach the front four, maybe that's why, i don't know.

Maybe sitting back, kicking the other team and going for the counter attacks suits us more, if Jose really can't get the front four firing when we have most of the ball.

smudgegezer

I am starting to get the impression that our team is just average. As much Is I did not want jose in charge from day one, I think all the flak he is getting is taking away the the below average performances that individuals are putting in.

The players look like they've never done an attacking drill before, it's bizarre. Some good moments of individual effort from Pogba, Rashford, even Sanchez and Lukaku but it's almost never quality link-up play.

His old players always say he doesn't really coach the front four, maybe that's why, i don't know.
Really? I have heard that he gives attacking players deference but if you remember who exactly gave a quote that would be interesting.

nycender

"It will be good for the team if we can beat Newcastle."

Fecking hell the state of United...

peridigm

That’s a damaging result - being unable to beat at home our main rival for second place in the group puts us in a difficult position. Europa League looking likelier.
We've not won at home since the opening game of the season.

DocRockter

The crowd was a disgrace.. Bunch of entitled snowflakes(not all) and Valencia fans took over pretty easily.

Red Star One

Maybe we had few decent moments, but it wouldn’t be good enough even for a much less ambitious (nevermind expensive) bunch of players. Depressing game, never really felt like controlling the game, very erratic on both sides. Painful to watch and it will be tough to make it through group stage.

Trizy

Well it's one result closer to Joses being sacked. At least that's a positive.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I haven't earned any titles, neither have you. And I don't feel entitled to anything.

I have supported this manager and team despite my reservations from day one, despite his absolute audacity to drag the club through the mud after we whimpered out against Sevilla last season, and despite his self preserving attitude that sees him constantly belittle all around him. He is continuing to play an ineffective, outdated style of football and you idiots still have the gall to chant his name during matches. No one can question the desire of that team tonight, but how much desire did our manager show? How much work ethic is he really showing? The players look like they aren't coached to attack, or are being continually instructed in a way that isn't working, isn't getting the best of their abilities and isn't at all considerate to the fans all over the world.

All I want is progression, desire and an attacking philosophy that matches the ambitions and traditions of the football club that I love. I know, and have known for some time that this won't happen under Mourinho, and I have continued to support him. You may question my loyalty all you want, as i will continue to question yours.
Mate, I’m not the one tellling everyone that I am not going to watch the team anymore. There ain’t any loyalty of yours to question. You can question my loyalty if you wish, but as a season ticket holder who ensures my space is filled for every minute of every game, I’m quite relaxed.

Don’t claim you don’t feel entitled to anything, then start a paragraph with “all I want”, after previously posting that you are no longer going to watch the team for not fulfilling that. That’s entitlement.

Next you’ll be spouting some shit about no individual being bigger than the club, all the while not watching the team because of one man.

Parry Gallister

Really? I have heard that he gives attacking players deference but if you remember who exactly gave a quote that would be interesting.
Bad choice of words, not they're not coached but they're given a lot of freedom, and irrc that he works more on dynamism than on decisions/coaching specific actions. Don't remember sorry, seen a fair amount so it blends as one, De Boer was on MNF yesterday talking about it for a minute or two (he'd know a little from their Barca days).

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
Intrigued to hear what Jose will say about Woodward once he leaves the club. Does anyone have anything good to say about the bloke?
Woodward is the same guy who helped the Glazers in their takeover of the club. In return for his efforts he got the position he currently has at the club. He is fantastic at bringing finance into the club, and his efforts are the envy of most other clubs with United becoming a financial giant, possibly the most valuable club on the planet. However, this has not been seen on the pitch as of yet. And we can only hope that the future will see United become as powerful on the pitch as they are off it.

Player Ratings

4.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 332 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Valencia win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 15% Man Utd 1:1 Valencia
  • 15% Man Utd 2:1 Valencia