CL W Champions League Group F

Manchester United 2:1 Villarreal

Post-match discussion

Wed, 29 September 2021

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
That was a pretty bizarre game. Just because, as soon as we scored we suddenly transformed. After Telles' beat, for the next half an hour or so (barring that scramble at the end) we were in the ascendancy and looked a much improved team. It was so strange given what we had seen in the first half and the early part of the second.

Why are we such a confidence team? All of a sudden we score and players stop messing up passes, the fullbacks are overlapping, the play is going through midfield, the front four were boxing in Villareal and making them make mistakes at the back. Until we scored I was pretty much sure we could play for 10 hours and we'd only ever go side to side like a see-saw. However, after we scored, until the game slowed for the late subs, we looked well up for it.

Hard to explain. Because the transformation came simply because of what happened on the pitch. If had been the result of a half-time change or something, it'd be easier to understand. It seemed to simply be the players realising: 'Hey, we can score here.'

Jaxa

Thank god for Ronaldo but talk about papering the cracks,

Ole’s Downfall will ultimately be his amateur coaching staff and we all know he won’t replace them.

MrBest

Matic at 32 is the only midfielder capable of playing forward passes.

Cavani was excellent when he came on - did not stop running.

Lingard is having massive moments in games - surely he’s worth a start on Saturday ?

Shout out to Sancho also who I thought showed signs tonight that he’s getting there - runs in behind, taking players on. He’s going to be a great player for us.

And what can you say about Ronaldo? Was anonymous for about 80 minutes but when it matters you know he’ll score !
I dont disagree with Cavani and Sancho comments, I'd be nervous about Lingard starting, I like him as a super sub at the moment.

I thought Ronaldo was good all came, had no service for 80 mins so instead he dropped back and chased the ball. For a 36 year old to do that is incredible.

Agent Red

Good to get the points and with players like Ronaldo you’ll have more of those last gasp winners happening, but another dire performance and all the same worries are still there.

With the talent we have should be winning games more consistently and more convincingly, but the coaching/tactics are making us rely on individual brilliance way too often.

bigbob

As bad a first half defensively as I can remember. Had Villaread anyone who could finish their dinner we'd have been destroyed. Great to have the dramatic late winner but that's papering over the very obvious cracks.

MiracleInMadrid

The look of the Villareal keeper after the final wistle said it all. He couldn’t believe what just happened.

Cowardly gameplan once again for us.

On to the next match to underperform well below our potential

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
The win was underserved but the passion and intensity we showed 2nd half was excellent. Problem again is playing against a team who keeps the ball so well. Subs made such a difference.

Marwood

Awful performance but what a moment at the end. Most I've celebrated for a while.

Adamsk7

Think we need some perspective. Villareal are a good team. We played a back four where defensively, everyone other than Varane is suspect and they’ve not played together before. Attacking wise I still think we are ironing out some kinks but it’s very early in the season.

we didn’t play great but we showed spirit and we won. Our subs came on with genuine hunger to change the game and they did. There’s a lot of doom and gloom but I see a lot of positives. I’ll no doubt get shot down though because unless it’s “Ole has no tactics” or “why Lingard?“ or”McFred are shite” then you’re not allowed to say anything

Flexdegea

Some of the posts are mad tonight :lol:

Don't get me wrong, we were terrible until 2nd half, but the spirit was undeniable. Immense pressure on the team and manager. Huge win.

Old Trafford totally rocking, love it. Everyone just enjoy it

Shiva87

I thought he was off. He fell over into an offside position before Ronaldo shot I thought. Not complaining though.
He passed the ball to Ronaldo and was taken out by the defender. The shot went the other side of the GK.

Agree. Got lucky there.

Dalot's performance today was one of the worst I've seen from a RB in a long time. Never in position, and when by chance he was, he got skinned. It was like we were playing with 10 men.

His crossing was pathetic as well. We have nothing to back up AWB!

OverratedOpinion

Also chuffed for Telles.

He has had a hard time of it at Utd after a very good career in Portugal. You could tell it meant the world to him.

bigbob

I dont disagree with Cavani and Sancho comments, I'd be nervous about Lingard starting, I like him as a super sub at the moment.

I thought Ronaldo was good all came, had no service for 80 mins so instead he dropped back and chased the ball. For a 36 year old to do that is incredible.

Lingard has done more in a handful of sub minutes than Sancho has done in all the starts he's had. Might be no harm to take Sancho out of the firing line for a while. He's clearly an excellent player but he's been awful for us really if we're going to be honest.

Scriblerus

We really didn't deserve that. First half was totally shit. Second half almost totally shit. If you spend 90 minutest trying to wedge exquisitely weighted long-range passes onto players running in behind, you get no shots no target. For goodness sake someone take note of that. Telles goal superb - but I reckon he misses that at least nine times out of ten. De Gea excellent. Love Cavani.

Real Name

Awful 1st half, good 2nd, can't understand why we always need to concede to start playing. We really rode our luck even in 2nd half.
Cavani changed the game and what more to say about Ronaldo than a genius. Oh and nice assist by Lingard!
Matić coming in also helped.

Luke1995

Yeah Matic deserves a run of games.

Ronaldo should never be rested unless he himself asks for it. It doesn't matter if he plays well or not. Just leave him walking around there and wait what happens.

Real Name

Lingard has done more in a handful of sub minutes than Sancho has done in all the starts he's had. Might be no harm to take Sancho out of the firing line for a while. He's clearly an excellent player but he's been awful for us really if we're going to be honest.
Thought Sancho was decent.

Lyng

Michael Laudrup ice cold on Danish TV: "If you don't score on your chances you don't deserve to win!"

suheilsworld

Huge win!! Much needed. Onwards. Dint care about the performance. We’ve had some good performances against Villarreal in the past and haven’t won. Big eve game coming up

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Gonna enjoy the moment! The post mortem can wait! First team to beat these feckers this season. Chelsea failed. Atletico failed. Real failed. Viva Ronaldo!

OverratedOpinion

I hate the way the team plays right now, but what a finish.

How do we fix this team right now? It just doesn't work.
Literally Ole's entire time here we have switched from looking absolutely unstoppable to looking like we couldn't score in a brothal.

It isn't good enough but it is also never as bad as it looks in these moments. We will probably go on a run where we beat a bunch of teams 4-1 or 3-0 shortly.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Despite having quality midfielders we still ended up with Fred ,McT and Matic when we needed a goal. Arguably the best finisher I have seen in my life time was playing on the right , away from the goal. They were playing a very high line knowing we don't have the pace to run behind, yet no Martial or Elanga. It wasn't like Mason or Sancho were pulling trees.

Ole is wasting the potential of the team. Sooner we realize that, the better for the club.

OrcaFat

We were the better team in the second half (as we should be). This with a weakened team with some poor individual performances but Ole shuffled the pack okay. Kept Ronnie on and was proved right.

Remember when Utd used to keep fighting to the end and won in stoppage time and OT went wild. Them were the days.

Ollie Derbyshire

Not much to say apart from we were lucky again, no cohesion or patterns of play and moments of brilliance getting us out of trouble.

MUFCAFC

Supports
Charlton, United
Huge relief in the end but they look so vulnerable, so often. Really need to control games better.

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 85% of 414 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 373 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Villarreal win
  • Draw