PL L FA Premier League

Watford 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 December 2019

Twisted Nerve

As soon as I saw that Watford were the only Prem team not to have won a home game all season, I knew how it would end.
Utter crap

Bobski

The worst part about it was that Watford were dreadful with no clue on how to attack other than hoof to Deeney, and we still managed to give them 2 awful goals.

Josep Dowling

The same for Shaw.

Ole deserves criticism for playing Shaw and Lingard even though they were shite against Everton too.
Who would start ahead of Shaw? What choice does he have at LB, Ashley Young? I could only imagine if Young comes back into the side the moaning on here (and rightly so). The last time Williams played he cost us 2 points.

bondsname

Who would start ahead of Shaw? What choice does he have at LB, Ashley Young? I could only imagine if Young comes back into the side the moaning on here (and rightly so). The last time Williams played he cost us 2 points.
There's always someone costing us the 2 points. It's either De Gea, AWB, Maguire, Tuanzebe, Lingard. The whole team needs to be improved.

RedWat

Can I humbly ask what getting rid of Ole will achieve when clearly it's the inconsistency in the players which is the main problem. How can you blame Ole for that glaring Howler by DDG or the fact that he was the only player on the pitch that didn't know that Deeney puts them down the middle or that incredible miss by Lingard which might have turned the game. Another manager, regardless of how many trophies they've won, will not become expert in polishing turds and we've still got a few in our ranks. January will tell a tale.
Patience brothers. :devil:
Yep how can you blame Ole for keep playing a number 10 with zero goals or assists all year and has admitted to having some mental issues. The best course of action would be to take Lingard out of the limelight for a while for his own (and the teams) good.

the terrible pattern against the teams outside the top 6 continues. with no sign of easing up. We have adopted an "underdog mentality" which you normally see in newly promoted or mid table sides that bodes well against top sides as we have an intensity in our play. This is missing in our games against most of the other sides where the other side adopts that same mentality against us.

The worst thing is Ole hasn't found a way to resolve this, still using 2 defensive midfielders against the worst side in the division he is more "hoping" for a change of fortune rather than changing tactics.

They say the first sign of madness is doing exactly the same thing and expecting different results.

It seems that madness has set in the Utd management team.

GiddyUp

At this point I'm just used to it, Alan Smith said on commentary that people thought we'd turned a corner after the City and Spurs games, but that just shows as usual the media puppets aren't in touch with the actual fans, as nearly all of us said the bigger test of where we were at was going to be Everton and Watford, who would both play a deep block, and sure enough, just like Villa before the Spurs/City games, we failed to get the job done and this time even lost to a team that have only taken 9 points all season.

I'm not interested in shots at De Gea, AWB, Martial, Lingard, Rashford, whomever is getting the blame this week, the common denominator is the coaching staff, we just don't have any patterns of play outside of counter attack, that's on the coaching staff as it's happening over and over.
No no no, the common denominator is the shit footballers at this club. We have a collection of players who refuse to get better as its easier to just outlast the coach.

dogwithabone

Pathetic.

Look at the application, the work rate, the desire versus Spurs and in particular City. The mentality is all wrong, we take the smaller clubs for granted. Liverpool have now got the approach we had under Fergie, they know that success is not defined by top six head to head clashes. What will get you success nowadays is swatting aside the Watford’s and Palaces, back in our heyday it was Wigan, Bolton etc.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Can I humbly ask what getting rid of Ole will achieve when clearly it's the inconsistency in the players which is the main problem.
Yes we win when the players put in a superhuman effort. But then they are emotionally exhausted and we lose the next week instead. What we need is a superior playing system so that we tend to win even when we play badly. Like Liverpool have.

Since ole doesn't know enough about football or coaching to furnish us with such a system, he should make way for someone who does and can. If only there were such a person out of work at the moment looking for a big premier league club to manage...

Swearing Budgie

Even if we sign a couple of worldies in Jan (we won't) they will take ages to settle in, if they ever do. We will not get top 6. That's a fact. We are simply not the 6th best side in the Prem. Top 10 is more realistic.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
Just watched his post match. After every defeat he talks as if he only started the job a month ago. That’s very concerning.

Rbrown0806

Atrocious performance and result. 2 horrendous mistakes cost us, but we deserved nothing. We looked 10x better when Pogba came on. We need somebody who can score goals. We won’t get top 4.
Root and branch clear out required...starting with Glazers and Woodward who have presided over this shambles. We wont even make top 6 leave alone top 4. Why do we persevere with players who have had years to come good...but never do?

Rbrown0806

Just watched his post match. After every defeat he talks as if he only started the job a month ago. That’s very concerning.
Not up to the job I'm afraid. Nice guy...great player...managerial record is dire.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I have not had a cigarette in five years and are seriously tempted now to have one.

Watford, the poorest team in the league and we lose two nil. Jesus wept.

JohnnyKills

Thought we actually played OK today. Created plenty of chances and gave them an awful goal. With more composure in the two boxes we'd have won comfortably.

Devil may care

The common denominator over years have been our players. They have now failed under 4 different managers. Lingard is exactly why we have problems. He would not get minutes at any serious clubs in the Premier League. Ole is not the best man for the job, but Pochettino etc would never turn bad players like Lingard into world beaters. Our squad and first eleven is poor in comparison with Chelsea and Spurs. In comparison with Liverpool and City we are miles behind.
I agree that we need upgrades in a few positions but there are teams with worse players that are more cohesive in their style of play, I think we are clearly relying on individual moments from players as opposed to a coached system of play, and the fact we don't have the level of players to do that all of the time and it exposes that we aren't doing enough in training when it comes to how we move the ball and how we move off the ball.

The players were very poor today, but I agree that the set-up is beyond dire. Perhaps I'm forgetting just how bad certain matches such as West Ham were but I'd say that was our worst game of the season. Moving the ball too slowly, without even a hint of intelligence, preferring not to reach the byline or take men on in favour of attempting intricate moves and low percentage passing options that we almost invariably fecked up. I am absolutely sick of putting in these horrible performances against sides who put men behind the ball and defend with a bit of organisation and purpose, throwing a way armfuls of points that would have us sitting pretty in the top four. Abysmally, embarrassingly shite.
That's the frustrating thing, just like last season the teams around us keep screwing up and we keep failing to capitalize on it, if we'd gotten the job done vs Villa, Everton and Watford it'd be happy Christmas!

RedWat

No no no, the common denominator is the shit footballers at this club. We have a collection of players who refuse to get better as its easier to just outlast the coach.
I mentioned before about Utd being in a perfect storm right now, having owners who care more about the balance sheet than what's going on in on the playing field, a coaching staff without tactical nous and experience, and a team with a mentality problem in that we are the only team in the PL this season to take points off officially the best club side in world football. The only side not to have lost a game against the top 4 sides so far this season. And yet the only team this season to have lost away to the worst side in the division. And 3 of Utd last 6 PL defeats were against sides that started the day in the relegation zone.

Josep Dowling

This. Can we honestly say any players have improved with us?

There is a culture at the club where players think they have made it when they join the club and don’t put the effort in.

A lot of these players have played under Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer and none of them have improved. Blame the manager all you want but we need to get rid of half the squad and start again.

Jones
Lingard
Mata
Young
Rojo
Pereira
Bailly
Dalot
Shaw

There is no way any of these should be at the club anymore given their performance over the last two years.

I get we can’t buy 8 players a summer but we could have been a lot quicker with player turnover. But when the club keeps giving them stupidly high contracts to these players they will never want to leave.

If you look at the other top 6 clubs we retain our players for a lot longer than most.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Where are we getting these new brilliant players he needs from then, exactly? What world class players are falling over themselves to join Ole as he turgidly guides us to mid-table again? How many brilliant Norwegian prodigies are there out there, realistically?

All the Ole inners keep insisting he just needs a couple great players (doesn’t everyone?) but they seem to skip over the part where we’d also need someone to actually attract them here, and sell them on a vision!

Devil may care

That's just it though, I'd say Rashford, Martial, Fred and McTominay have all improved this season individually, but we haven't improved as a team due to one dimensional coaching, I mean these supposedly trash players put City and Spurs to the sword on the counter, if they were coached better as a unit for when we dominate possession, I dare say we'd see some improvements as well.

MikeeMike

Everyone has their own opinions granted, but for me the biggest problems are -

-Wrong decision making in front of goal aka not clinical. eg. today, Maguire,Rash and Jesse

-Zero movement on set pieces (especially corners) and too predictable

-Quality of passing. Never saw so many shocking passes like today.

Callers post match on MUTV saying we need 6 world class players. Really.

Hard to watch how much we underperform recently with zero consistancy :/

GiddyUp

Where are we getting these new brilliant players he needs from then, exactly? What world class players are falling over themselves to join Ole as he turgidly guides us to mid-table again? How many brilliant Norwegian prodigies are there out there, realistically?

All the Ole inners keep insisting he just needs a couple great players (doesn’t everyone?) but they seem to skip over the part where we’d also need someone to actually attract them here, and sell them on a vision!
I haven't a clue what we could do. We've tried everything in the last few seasons and nothing works. We are a great club with shit owners, incompetent board, terrible coaches and very average players who have never come together consistantly as a cohesive unit, and in my opinion never will.

We are fecked and the future is certainly not bright. I'm a big Ole fan but his record since he signed permanently is a bloody disgrace and no way would he be still in the job with any other club. Especially with Pochettino free and available. Who may not be the answer but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be playing Lingard and calling Rashford "Rashy" when talking to the media. We are so fecking juvenile at this club right now so an authoritarian figure maybe needed to come in and start kicking arses.

RedWat

This. Can we honestly say any players have improved with us?

There is a culture at the club where players think they have made it when they join the club and don’t put the effort in.

A lot of these players have played under Van Gaal, Mourinho and Solskjaer and none of them have improved. Blame the manager all you want but we need to get rid of half the squad and start again.

Jones
Lingard
Mata
Young
Rojo
Pereira
Bailly
Dalot
Shaw

There is no way any of these should be at the club anymore given their performance over the last two years.

I get we can’t buy 8 players a summer but we could have been a lot quicker with player turnover. But when the club keeps giving them stupidly high contracts to these players they will never want to leave.

If you look at the other top 6 clubs we retain our players for a lot longer than most.
And yet Jose was able to get some sort of tune out of these players (before the usual season 3 meltdown) resulting in a Europa cup win, League cup win and finishing second in the table. Where I now truly believe his statement that getting this side to 2nd was his greatest achievement. The players are not great but they have more than enough talent to be doing much better than they are. Also most of the players you mentioned above are currently not regulars in the first 11. Coaching has a important part to play in how successful a team can be, getting the best out of your players in the right system is why teams like Sheff Utd & Wolves are above us in the table.They are being coached better than we are currently

GiddyUp

That's just it though, I'd say Rashford, Martial, Fred and McTominay have all improved this season individually, but we haven't improved as a team due to one dimensional coaching, I mean these supposedly trash players put City and Spurs to the sword on the counter, if they were coached better as a unit for when we dominate possession, I dare say we'd see some improvements as well.
Quite right but I very much doubt that this group of players can gain any consistency. When I watched all the backslapping and cocksucking after the city win I knew it would only be a matter of a couple of weeks before this team served up more shit. It was practically immediate.
No doubt we need a better manager and coaches but we also have to be realistic about the quality of our players. De Gea winning POTY 4 out of 5 seasons says more about the state of the team then it does about him. Great shot stopper but probably not the keeper we need right now as his distribution and box control is a disgrace. Martial will never ever have it in him to have a dominant season required by a forward to win a league. Pogba is out the door the second an offer is made to match his ego.

Unfortunately we have too many cnuts milking this club for their own gain for anything to make an instant impact for the better. One thing is for sure though, every supporter of this club wants the same thing. We've been so up and down these last few years it kind of makes everyone's opinion valid in some form.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
I dont know why we turned up 45 mins before KO. Everyone knows traffic at christmas is mental. After the Everton game their arses should have been Ole's and he should have demanded a night in a hotel followed by morning training at Watford.
Funny how turning up late to the ground is a recurring issue that doesn't seem to happen to any other club.

Josep Dowling

And yet Jose was able to get some sort of tune out of these players (before the usual season 3 meltdown) resulting in a Europa cup win, League cup win and finishing second in the table. Where I now truly believe his statement that getting this side to 2nd was his greatest achievement. The players are not great but they have more than enough talent to be doing much better than they are. Also most of the players you mentioned above are currently not regulars in the first 11. Coaching has a important part to play in how successful a team can be, getting the best out of your players in the right system is why teams like Sheff Utd & Wolves are above us in the table.They are being coached better than we are currently
The thing is those two teams are good because they play like a team. We still play like a group of individuals. And I think it’s down to signing players that don’t fit together. Case in the point is the two CBs. Why would you buy a slow CB in Maguire when you know you’re going to partner him with another slow CB in Lindelof.

Solskjaer apparently wanted to play a pressing defence but we have two very slow CB so we can’t play a high line. This is a perfect example of the club and manager not understanding what they want to achieve on the pitch. Liverpool haven’t necessarily signed the best players but they all fit into a manager’s system because the system came first. And now a lot of their players look world class.

What is Ole’s system? He seems to favour 4-2-3-1. Then what after that? Counter attack? Pressing? I honestly don’t know.

Our full backs are both defensive over attack and don’t provide anything going forward. That’s means the role of the number 10 is very important. They need to create pretty much everything. So what do we do? Decide to not sign anyone for that position and hope that the likes of Lingard, Mata and Pereira will suddenly become good players. It’s terrible planning.

We need a huge and very expensive re-build. There are easily ten players who could be moved out. Will the Glazers fund it; will Ole be the man to undertake it? It's such a mess.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
We need a huge and very expensive re-build. There are easily ten players who could be moved out. Will the Glazers fund it; will Ole be the man to undertake it? It's such a mess.
The Glazers won't. Either we get sold to some filthy rich arabs or we'll be spend another decade being Liverpool before Klopp. Unless we hire some absolute genius manager that can turn shit into gold.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I didn't think it was possible to play a worse half than that first half. Our passing was diabolical. Turns out, it's possible to play worse.

What happened? We were uncharacteristically bad. I know we are poor against defensive aggressive sides, but that was something else.

Also: if Shaw was Nigerian people would say he's 45 with a fake passport. He moves that way anyway.

And I hope Watford go down with their talisman c***.

Bondi77

What is the point in beating Spurs and Citeh and then drawing at home to Everton and then losing to arguably the worst team in the league?
All it does is just make me more frustrated because it provides the argument of why the team cannot play well all the time or at least have some level of performance where they can beat the bottom eight teams consistently.
Ole will say the same old crap about young players making mistakes and it is all about the big picture but where is the improvement in games like this as I just cannot see it.
I personally think Ole should go into the DOF role and then he can sprout the Woodward mantra as that is all it seems to me and get Pochetino into the managerial role and then take it from there.

billybee99

The team that played today was our best first 11 on paper - minus the inclusion of Pogba. Who else could he have picked that would have made a difference to the outcome, favorable or otherwise?
So you think that Watford have a better squad than what Ole has available? Sheffield United? Everton? Newcastle? Ole has better players than the managers of all these clubs against whom we are dropping points. There is no debate about that. It's a fact. With or without Pogba, we should be beating these teams.

Revaulx

Funny how turning up late to the ground is a recurring issue that doesn't seem to happen to any other club.
Indeed.

Funny also how no other club seems to have such a recurring issue of players having weight control problems.

One might even infer that there’s a lack of professional standards behind the scenes...

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
After todays game?? It's really starting to piss me off when I hear we can't beat teams because they play a low block. Every time Watford attacked they did so with numbers. The same as against Sheffield, Villa and even feckin Bournmouth. The truth is we're too slow to attack when we win the ball back giving them time to set up. This deep blocked phrase should be banned from the forum because it just isn't true. The problem is players and manager can't motivate themselves against the so called smaller teams and we really are becoming midtable game raisers.
100% this. Watford attacked us plenty today. Even after 2:0!!! They were not scared of us because they saw we were trash. If we were good enough counter attacking team we would have scored. We were just horrible is the truth

bonothom

Good performance and very unlucky to lose 2-0 as we absolutely battered them. Oh hang on I'll just take my 'Ole Rose tinted glasses off'. We were utter garbage as per usual against a shit lower league team no surprises there.

DarkRed

The outcome of this game was obvious from the first 5 minutes of play, it looked like U23 playing vs grown men. They pressed and run in a way a team with a new manager usually does, our midfield simply was overran with fullbacks looking like they have no idea how to support buildup play, usually McT can overpower his man and sometimes two of them but on this day he was matched and Fred was run over. The forward line received no service and looked like Rashford and James are not in the game, Martial dropped deep to help create something but then we had no one to pass to.
Without a proper midfield this will continue vs every them that will show physicality in their pressing game, Must buy 6 and a 10, at least one of them will make it much better.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Watford 1:2 Man Utd
  • 21% Watford 0:2 Man Utd