PL L FA Premier League

Watford 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 22 December 2019

Run_time_error

Just so effing disappointing. Why keep Pogba on the bench until it's too late? Clearly the most likely player to break open a solid defence. I get he might not be 100% fit but start strong, build a lead and bring him off if necessary.

Wan Bissaka - the first rash challenge he's made that I can remember and it's a pen. Unlucky for him but I thought he was slow getting back into position throughout the match.

We looked better with Martial on the left and that was when Shaw started to get involved. Maybe time to get Greenwood in the middle. James and Rashford also seem to prefer the left so we're a bit unbalanced there. We need a good right sided attacker or one of these three needs to sort themselves out over there.

Fred was the best player over the whole game but Pogba showed what we're missing.

Lingard, Mata and Lindelof already thinking about Christmas pud and playng like one. Actually, so is Maguire - what a waste of money he's turning out to be.

Can we just play City every week. Please!

Josep Dowling

De Gea - I mean, you've literally chucked the ball into your own net. It's like all of our defensive players watch back the stupidity from the previous game then think "I'm not having him outdo me"

Bissaka - He's not been the same since someone stole the top half of his head.
Lindelof - Universal master of the deftly lofted through ball to absolutely fecking no one.
Maguire - What I really want from my centreback is that when we're 2-0 down, he's 70 yards out of position, bafflingly hogging the ball from all his team mates while spinning around three times in a circle and the punting it straight off the pitch. Seriously this guy is an absolute joke. How do none of our coaching staff tell him what an idiot he's being? How do his team mates not constantly want to punch him in the face?
Shaw - Gets booked in nearly every game due to being too lazy (or unfit) to run back...which then also, in every game, creates a problem late on when the opposition break and he can't risk tackling the guy running at him. Amazing that someone with this little game intelligence would probably struggle to make it into our starting 11 of most stupid footballers.

Fred - Only player we had today prior to it being 2-0 who was delivering anything above a solid 2/10.
McTominay - Looks like someone on the Watford team came up and reminded him he was Scottish just before the game kicked off.
Lingard - Next time you're through on goal, maybe try the more routine finishing technique of backflipping over the keeper's head with the ball wedged between your legs and then backheeling it into the goal mid air. Idiot.

Rashford - Theo Walcott called. He wants his footballing ability back
James - Probably time to give him a break, except the alternative is, well, no one. Or Mata, which is like no one except without the partial credit you get for bravely struggling to defeat with only 10 players.
Martial - Is there a reason why he can't play like he did towards the end, you know, all the time? Or at least, slightly more of the time? Or at least, you know, look vaguely like he is trying to?

Pogba - Actually did very well, apart from the stupid dive.
Greenwood - Why bring him on to play on the wing? Yet again by the end I had no idea where any of our forwards were actually meant to be playing.
Mata - The only reason at this point to bring Mata on is to show everyone that you've run out of ideas of things to do but feel like you need to look like you're trying to do something

Man Utd weekly team sessions:
Mistake therapy - A group of first team players get together and go over their mistakes from the previous week, and discuss how they're all going to make sure they don't learn a thing from any of them.
Defensive corner practice - Someone who can't take corners, takes corners, while a group of players who can neither defend nor attack a corner stand in the box watching the ball fly over their heads over and over.
Offensive corner practice - See above, except occasionally one of the defending players will accidentally score and then everyone starts celebrating.
Practice match - The first team squad watch Harry Maguire walking about aimlessly with the ball for half an hour.
Tactics discussion - Ole and the gang use visual diagrams to explain again to Greenwood where to stand when the teams line up for photos before the game.
Its amazing how accurate this is. The McTominay assessment made me laugh, in the first half I thought he played for Watford the amount of times a simple pass went back to them.

We have lost our killer instinct. Had Lingard scored it could have been a different game. But it simply isn’t good enough to have one chance like that in 45 minutes. Greenwood had a similar opportunity in the second half. And the Maguire header as well, I don’t know why he directed the header straight at Foster.

But other than those three chances we created very little. This is a common theme every week. And Watford could have scored a lot more on the break. We were getting carved open time after time.

What scares me more is the fact that when Pogba came on that is our best 11 on paper and we looked like utter crap.

LVGSdive

The pride of playing for Manchester United. A win and we are in CL contention, the fans who follow you everywhere and they deserve better. It's coming up to the January transfer window by the way lads.
I know player's don't have the highest of IQ's but surely even they will know that.

There are certain things that managers are responsible for: Team selection, training methods, man management, team management, substitutions, resting players. It's a player's personal responsibility to motivate themselves and if they can't they should look for a new line of work.

JoaquinJoaquin

Let's just put this into perspective from yesterday, NIGEL FECKING PEARSON said he expected nothing from us. A complete reject manager like that even thinks we are a joke.

svn

Wan Bissaka - the first rash challenge he's made that I can remember and it's a pen. Unlucky for him but I thought he was slow getting back into position throughout the match.
I actually think he makes a lot of rash challenges, but he gets away with it because he always gets the ball. I actually agree somewhat with (sigh) Souness yesterday when he said he goes to ground too much, and it's a sign of poor positioning.

Being a great at making last ditch slide tackles is a great skill to have in your locker, but shouldn't be your go-to method of defending.

Maticmaker

Ole got 'ow-headed' by Pearson from the get go. Hughes was their destroyer, repeatedly and without sanction from the ref, he got away with niggling fouls on McTominay and Fred at least half a dozen times in the first half and three or four in the second. Nothing too rough, or too dangerous, just annoying and petty, but it spoiled our two midfielders concentration throughout.

Why did Ole play a speed merchant like James against a team he knew would play deep, the poor lad had an awful time? James needs space behind to exploit he got none and looked very despondent coming off.

The bad day at the office syndrome continues, nobody stood out until Pogba took the field, what an enigma he is!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
And the Maguire header as well, I don’t know why he directed the header straight at Foster.
Because he is inapt in playing with his head. It's simply embarrassing a CB of his physicality to offer so little in the air and in the attack. He adds nothing, zilch, to our attack. Unacceptable.

I actually think he makes a lot of rash challenges, but he gets away with it because he always gets the ball. I actually agree somewhat with (sigh) Souness yesterday when he said he goes to ground too much, and it's a sign of poor positioning.

Being a great at making last ditch slide tackles is a great skill to have in your locker, but shouldn't be your go-to method of defending.
Leave AWB alone, please. He saved our behinds dozens of times in that game alone, let alone since he joined. Anybody makes a mistake every once in a while. His wasn't nearly as horrible as the complete meltdown of DDG. Even before the first goal, DDG shit his pants in the first half - exact same situation as with Everton, except this time the referee ruled our way. DDG has a big problem, and it's been going on for almost a year.

AWB is quite horrible in attack and needs to improve, but AWB is amazing when we need to defend. We should appreciate him, because before him our full-backs were the worst in the league and we still have Luke Shaw on the left to compare him to.

Last edited:

cruseofried

Is this your first game? We have been this dreadful against lower teams whole season.
Did you watch the first half? We have zero shots on target against a team sitting at the bottom of the league.

This is not about the mistakes. This is about the clueless tactic against the team who just sit back and absorb the attacks which in our case, non-existent. Ole just know one tactic which is to counter attack and it will only work against top teams. He strengthen the defense so we can absorb the attacks and then counter with speed. But he forgot that there are more teams who will do the same to us. We don't have a creative midfield and a proper no 9. Whose fault is that?
Firstly, no it's not my first game and you'll probably be disappointed to learn that millions of supporters know that we need reinforcements in the areas you suggest. You seem to think that changing the manager will solve the problem. Could I point out that Moyes, Van Gaal and Mourinho all failed after being given large amounts of money to succeed.
In his first attempt at revival, Ole has bought three players who are all playing well and earning their corn and has suffered the problem of having our most talented player out of action since September. There can surely be few, if any, supporters who didn't notice and take heart from the improvement in the team effort and confidence after Pogba came on.
I'm convinced that given two more windows we will see a changed set up and a vast improvement in tactics and performance. Changing the manager at this juncture would border on insanity and create further instability in the club. It has taken Klopp three seasons to win anything with Liverpool but their patience has finally been rewarded.
I fully understand the ill feeling created by a lack of success but knee jerk reactions seldom if ever produce the required effect or result. We need, and I urge patience, until the manager has been given a fair chance to succeed. :devil:

OleTheGreat

OMG! What a waste of time! We played some of the worst football and what's worse i think Colchester United would've played better football against Watford than we dared to. We do not have the respect for the opponents nor do we have the discipline to outplay a team that last in the league. For those of you who blame the coach for not having drilled our team to play a certain way, you're absolutely right but i think, for a bunch of lads who have been playing football their entire life and having played most of their football at the highest level should know how to break down a team that knows not how to win.

Amerifan

DDG’s mistake, eh, it happens. That wasn’t the problem. We couldn’t connect a pass. So many unforced errors. Guys standing around watching the ball go to the opposition. It was like the team was told to save energy for the upcoming games there was such a lack of movement. Once Pogba came on suddenly they remembered we needed to win the game. Not one of our better performances.

Havak

Pokemon master
Upon further reflection, one of our worst performances under Ole. I couldn't even give any player a 6/10 except Pogba, which is ridiculous when he's been injured for three months and almost surely wants out. Something really needs to be done as we just can't turn up against the lesser teams and aren't creative with the ball. Hopefully, Pogba starting games soon should remedy it, but I think the problem most likely runs deeper than that. It is probably a management and coaching issue, so if there isn't improvement soon I think Ole would be up against it.

freddie the red

This hero worshipping is what got us here in the first place
Mate, it's not hero worshipping, it's called having a little respect.
Fans can legitimately criticise Ole for his managerial record if that's what they want to do but you don't call a club legend a cnut with impunity. Out of order!

vanderpants

no wonder pogba wants out and I really don't blame him, he would do so much better in Madrid rather than an average premier league side that only competes for cups now

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
no wonder pogba wants out and I really don't blame him, he would do so much better in Madrid rather than an average premier league side that only competes for cups now
If Madrid wanted him enough to pay his price he would be gone. United couldn't force Ronaldo to stay even when United was a mega-club winning everything. If you think we are really able to force Pogba stay then you are lying to yourself. These are all just mind games.

Devil may care

Quite right but I very much doubt that this group of players can gain any consistency. When I watched all the backslapping and cocksucking after the city win I knew it would only be a matter of a couple of weeks before this team served up more shit. It was practically immediate.
No doubt we need a better manager and coaches but we also have to be realistic about the quality of our players. De Gea winning POTY 4 out of 5 seasons says more about the state of the team then it does about him. Great shot stopper but probably not the keeper we need right now as his distribution and box control is a disgrace. Martial will never ever have it in him to have a dominant season required by a forward to win a league. Pogba is out the door the second an offer is made to match his ego.

Unfortunately we have too many cnuts milking this club for their own gain for anything to make an instant impact for the better. One thing is for sure though, every supporter of this club wants the same thing. We've been so up and down these last few years it kind of makes everyone's opinion valid in some form.
I agree that there are layers of issues at the club, we have problemsin every area of the club, but despite all that I see teams with lesser players than us have a more cohesive look to their football, as teams can be greater than the sum of it's parts and we aren't even getting the most from our best parts.

Crashoutcassius

People talk about pogba like when he plays well it is some kind of bonus that we shouldn't expect and somehow don't deserve

We made him top 5 best ever paid prem players, he is getting way more than kdb, he should be cranking this out every week - creating chances so that we beat Watford is the minimum for what we pay him.

He has had 3 games in 9 months that are up to scratch, we don't owe him anything

buckooo1978

This hero worshipping is what got us here in the first place
its hardly hero worshipping to be respectful to a club legend, a man who is trying his best and is failing

what got us here in the first place? Maybe you want to insult Fergie? if it wasnt for the Rock of Gibraltar the Glazers wouldnt be here at all?

get some perspective eh - under no circumstances is it acceptable to call Ole a 'cnut' - shameful from our fanbase

Marcus

Players to be dropped after this game are: Shaw (Williams), Lingard (Pogba), Lindelof (Axel), De Gea (Romero). If Ole doesn't drop them, drop him.

littleman

its hardly hero worshipping to be respectful to a club legend, a man who is trying his best and is failing

what got us here in the first place? Maybe you want to insult Fergie? if it wasnt for the Rock of Gibraltar the Glazers wouldnt be here at all?

get some perspective eh - under no circumstances is it acceptable to call Ole a 'cnut' - shameful from our fanbase
unlike you I also don’t worship Fergie

your childish behavior using it as a threat “maybe you want to insult Fergie?” for compliance is hilarious.. how old are you? Be your own man

you are twisting the situation to your own needs to make yourself look good. Sit down pipe down grow up

UnitedChampionsAgain

I am also sick of seeing Ole sat in his chair doing absolutely nothing. Can’t he bark out some instruction to the useless players on the pitch?

Maybe tell Rashford to stop shooting from 40 yards. Or tell Martial to stay onside. Or tell James to at least try and get himself into the game?

The only player I would rate today was Pogba.
Exactly, the entire bench sit there like zombies. Carrick really gets me with the longgg slowww blinks. A proper manager would be on his feet roasting that shambles into playing better.

theklr

For all the doom and gloom we looked completely different when Pogba came on.

Makes me cautiously optimistic for the next games if he plays from start.

Also shows that for all Ole’s fault (we should have won regardless), we did have a big issue with not having a proper playmaker. I mean, just look at what the other top 6 have to work with.

And especially how important that player is for us with the kind of players we have in the other positions.

buckooo1978

unlike you I also don’t worship Fergie

your childish behavior using it as a threat “maybe you want to insult Fergie?” for compliance is hilarious.. how old are you? Be your own man

you are twisting the situation to your own needs to make yourself look good. Sit down pipe down grow up
no thanks pal - you can hang onto your advice - just outlining the ridiculousness of brats turning on idols with such venom when things don't go well.

a better place for trolls is the Twitter sewer rather than calling club legends 'cnuts' on here - I'd like to think we've higher standards of maturity and respect

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
:houllier::houllier::houllier:

Ancelotti isnt good enough for everton??
If Everton aspire to finish top six with any degree of consistency, then it is unlikely Ancelotti has what it takes given his consistent sub par league finishes throughout his career.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Wow... i never thought there comes a day Carlo Ancelotti is not good enough for everton...
Without looking, how many league titles do you think he won having managed THAT Milan side, Chelsea, Real Madrid, PSG and Bayern? Honest guess.

Alabaster Codify7

If Everton aspire to finish top six with any degree of consistency, then it is unlikely Ancelotti has what it takes given his consistent sub par league finishes throughout his career.

I think - and I might well be wrong - that Everton probably see Ancelotti as a placeholder. They've spent a fair bit and had a shocker with Silva, so I think he's a wise move to get them finishing around 8th this season. The board will happily splash some cash in the summer and Carlo is still a draw for some players worldwide, guy is pure class personified and well respected. Everton might be thinking 1.5 seasons of Carlo getting them in the top 6 then a new, exciting manager comes in.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I’d ditch all attackers if only we had enough cover. Just a pathetic display.

Player Ratings

4.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 362 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Watford 1:2 Man Utd
  • 21% Watford 0:2 Man Utd