PL L FA Premier League

Watford 4:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 20 November 2021

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What annoy me is how some fans get on players when we're not playing well. If the team as a collective is not playing well, its the manager. We have massive gaps in midfield, we can't connect plays to our attackers, our midfielders aren't in good positions to recover the ball, we don't press well...yet you have fans asking whether it stops Rashford from making a 5 yard pass. It does. If you have no options to pass to, you have to literally beat 2 to 3 oppositions players to get a run at the ball, every pass seems to result in you having to chase, then yes, its the manager.

One thing i've noticed about Ole is that he's absolutely clueless on how to use our flanks. This is the first game that Sancho has had the time and space to drive and create. our attackers need a platform to attack, our defenders need support, our midfielders need proper structure. Today, Ole dropped Fred because of how Fred has been blamed in the media. He's a pressing player, who isn't the best on the ball, but has lots of energy. He's similar to Kante in that sense ( of course not as good), under a good manager, they would be able to use his attributes.
He's supposed to "know the club's DNA" and =yet he no idea about wingers whatsoever. Clueless

bonothom

I think I definetly see the reaction, Ole. Yep, 10 days in Norway and you look even worse. It actually looked like a pre season shit show in the 1st half. What is this board seeing? How the hell can we be this incompetent to keep supporting this coaching setup. 2 weeks to get rid of him and they just send him on holiday.

slyadams

After 12 games and a fortune spent we are as close to 17th as we are to 4th.

Not 1st or 2nd. 4th.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They're supporting their team whilst you're sat on their arse at home telling them how to do it. feck off and buy a ticket and make this point to their faces, I beg you.
CHill out, man. The matchgoers are better fans and I'm sure they have opinion also about us plastic fans. So what? It's just opinion. Just like we have opinion about the players and manager. Don't need to tell them to their faces, though.

Wilt

Ole high fives Maguire when he was sent off? :houllier:

Surely can’t be true

Ranchero

It has got so bad I'd take Steven Gerrard now than endure another day of Ole's tenure.

Ekeke

In terms of actual performance, we again struggled against players closing us down in our own half. Only Van De Beek looked like he really wanted to be given the ball and look to turn and actually try to do something with it. Most of the players were just passing it back to the player who gave it to them when they had someone pressing from behind them.

Donny also helped us play some longer passes getting in behind the defence, something we also needed from deeper. When teams are committing so many players forward to press they want you to try and play out of it so they can steal the ball high up the pitch with numbers in attack. Case in point with Maguire. What they dont want is someone to create a bit of time and play a quality longer pass to an attacking player in the vast gaps that have opened up because they've pressed up the pitch. Usually Pogba's our best at doing that but still leaves something to be desired and its not uncommon that he dwells on the ball and ends up losing it rather than finding the pass to exploit the spaces and bring our attackers into the game.

redmanx

Enough is enough. Oles had his go and is clearly unable to take the team any further. He should resign. Ole will always be remembered as a Legend, but if he doesnt take the dignified way and walk his legendary status will be tarnished. Please go Ole; thank you for the good days, it just wasnt to be.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
The manager was hoisted by his own petard today. The optics of a team being clearly desperate for time on the training pitch to work together, being given two weeks during the international break, but then electing to take about ten days off is terrible. We saw how valuable a solid week building up to the Spurs match was, yet the manager declined the opportunity to have a similarly focussed period. He had two weeks to work with a sizeable number of the players. Rashford, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial, VDB, Matic, etc. were all at Carrington, which provided a great opportunity to really instil a system for today’s game, and perhaps leave out some others away on internationals to rest them for midweek.

Instead the manager’s gamble to take a mental break, and force the players into only unfocussed light training, spectacularly backfired. The complete mess of the first half is nearly entirely on the manager and the coaching staff. We looked clueless.

The second half the players were largely to blame. So many chances were squandered, we kept giving the ball away in dangerous areas, and Maguire completely embarrassed himself again. Surely that’s the sign that it is all over? Maguire getting a desperate red and throwing his armband to the floor?

As much as you might give the manager some credit for VDB’s introduction, a sober assessment surely questions why he continues to be left out of the side when we otherwise look so desperate? Let’s not get started on Martial coming on for Rashford. We may have completed the comeback with Rashford’s threat down the left, as he was brightest first half. Martial did the square root of feck all yet again.

It says it all that in the match day thread someone suggested Juan Mata as an interim manager for Villarreal on Tuesday. Rather dammingly that no longer feels like a ridiculous idea.

Ranchero

Enough is enough. Oles had his go and is clearly unable to take the team any further. He should resign. Ole will always be remembered as a Legend, but if he doesnt take the dignified way and walk his legendary status will be tarnished. Please go Ole; thank you for the good days, it just wasnt to be.
He won't quit and walk away from the tens of millions left in his contract.

RoyH1

All that money spent and we lose to friggin Watford like that.
He has to go now

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Forgot the match was on until about half time - never done that before.

I was busy painting, you see. Soft Truffle. Looks fab in our main hallway with the white archy thingies and the fake IKEA chandelier. Soft Truffle. Almost has a purple hue to it.

Anyway, after the full time score I'll need to go and buy another tin tomorrow morning as I downed the rest. Has a bit of an aftertaste. A bit painty.

fecking Ole...

Andersons Dietician

It’s amazing how terrible we are. We have a team of internationals, people who are experienced and considered as exceptional players and you watch them and it’s like they have no clue what they are doing.

The positioning of them places they were going to or just lack of movement is just infuriating. At this point I’m convinced 60% of the CAF could do a better job than Ole currently. It’s so easy to see why we are a shambles on the pitch but it also looks like a terribly easy fix.

Just terrible.

Kassadin

We've got to come out against Villareal like a proper wounded animal now.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
I only caught the last 10 mins because i was playing squash with my mates and didn't want to reschedule it because i knew it would be another clown show.

I actually laughed when the 4th goal went in.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
It’s amazing how terrible we are. We have a team of internationals, people who are experienced and considered as exceptional players and you watch them and it’s like they have no clue what they are doing.

The positioning of them places they were going to or just lack of movement is just infuriating. At this point I’m convinced 60% of the CAF could do a better job than Ole currently. It’s so easy to see why we are a shambles on the pitch but it also looks like a terribly easy fix.

Just terrible.
The Caf MatchdayThread XI would beat utd now.

Devil may care

I decided not to sit through a freeze laden stream for this, first game I've not watched in years, doesn't seem like I missed much, I thought we'd get at least a point but to get slapped up 4-1 is just another ignominy.

jackal&hyde

Well DVB looked ok and great saves from DDG for the pens. Encouraging.

Bring Zidane now.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Surely you can support the team while not being waxing lyrical about the manager who makes them play shite?

Tomuś

CHill out, man. The matchgoers are better fans and I'm sure they have opinion also about us plastic fans. So what? It's just opinion. Just like we have opinion about the players and manager. Don't need to tell them to their faces, though.
They are forking out their hard earned money mate.

lex talionis

The headline is Ole’s catastrophic management, but it must be said that Bruno continues to put on horrific performances.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
They are forking out their hard earned money mate.
Agreed. That's why i said that they're better fans. But they're there, whether they like it or not, representing United fans.

I don't have to agree what they're doing there when representing me as United fan. I raised my opinion that they're wrong when clapping the manager. I think the manager needs to go and shouldn't be supported. If they were Chelsea fans showing support in Ole, i wouldn't give a feck other than laughing my tits off.

I don't see why this is a hard concept to accept for that poster? Is it a hard concept for you?

Last edited:

Tomuś

Agreed. That's why i said that they're better fans. But they're there, whether they like it or not, representing United fans.

I don't have to agree what they're doing there when representing me as United fan. I raised my opinion that they're wrong when clapping the manager. I think the manager needs to go and shouldn't be supported. If they were Chelsea fans showing support in Ole, i wouldn't give a feck other than laughing my tits off.

I don't see why this is a hard concept to accept for that poster? Is it a hard concept for you?
Totally with you on that one

Giggsy13

VDB and Sancho were the only two bright spots in what was a horrific performance. Just a further indictment of Ole. Please step down and save your reputation.

Godfather

VDB and Sancho were the only two bright spots in what was a horrific performance. Just a further indictment of Ole. Please step down and save your reputation.
Was just about to post this. From the whole shitshow we witnessed today those two were positives. Sancho mostly in the second half though. In the first he was crap too. But they seem to have an understanding

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Totally with you on that one
Thank you. When a tiny group of England fans were doing bad things when traveling abroad, they affect million of other England fans. Unfortunately, it is what it is.

AFC NimbleThumb

This "everyone has to take responsibility" is basically akin to saying that nobody should take responsibility. Who is "everyone". Who can you blame? The nursing lady at the stadium? The receptionist? Mindless PR drivel.
Exactly. There’s so little accountability.
It baffles me how pundits say the same shit over and over again "he did an amazing job taking us back" taking us back to what? 3 fecking years without a single title but he made "the squad happy" thats supposed to be an amazing job?

Its like they dont have the balls to call a spade a spade. He's a failure, should been fired long ago and this last weeks have been nothing short of absolute embarrasment.
We did this to ourselves as a fanbase. He shouldn’t have survived Sevilla. He’s done terribly.

‘Happy squad’? Wonder what Telles, Dalot, VdB, Pogba, Bailly, Sancho, Henderson, Martial have to say about that. It’s such a lazy thing to praise him for.

Man of the Match

Donny van de Beek image Donny van de Beek 74% of 270 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

3.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 278 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw