PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 February 2022

croadyman

Objectively we played quite well. One of those day sadly. Seen it a hundred times, post Fergie and during.

Is anyone on social media able to just call things like they are anymore, without the histrionics?
Nope not when this dropping of points isn't exactly a one off this season

Karlos PFC

He’s walked into a difficult job but a top class manager would have found a beat out of this group. Top 4 from when he joined with the fixtures we had was quite easy. And he’s blown jt
Well Klopp walked into a difficult job also and finished 8th bottling a lot of those games.

This isn't on Ralf, we're completely dominant for the whole 90 min. Our finishing though was abysmal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Well Klopp walked into a difficult job also and finished 8th bottling a lot of those games.

This isn't on Ralf, we're completely dominant for the whole 90 min. Our finishing though was abysmal.
He fairly quickly had them playing a distinctive style of football though. Everyone could see it was looking decent, and it was some sh!te defence that let them down.

Even if Ralf immediately bedded a good system in, everyone knows he's only bossman for 6months.

It's way too wishful to think he'll get a great system going, then the next manager plays the same system and betters it.

Karlos PFC

He fairly quickly had them playing a distinctive style of football though. Everyone could see it was looking decent, and it was some sh!te defence that let them down.

Even if Ralf immediately bedded a good system in, everyone knows he's only bossman for 6months.

It's way too wishful to think he'll get a great system going, then the next manager plays the same system and betters it.
It's not about system but more the way we play, the spaces where we press, attacking patterns etc. I think that Ralf has been doing that since he came and as a team we're starting to show it and getting used to it in the last 3-4 games (except Atletico). It really is night and day football compared to the last 3 years, I pretty much prefer the way we're starting to play now with Ralf than anything we have produced in the last 3 years (football-wise not results, though this is also a sad story).

As for today, come on man, you can't blame Ralf for this. We completely dominated them in everything, if CR(5 Ballon Dor, 5 Ch L) can't get the fecking ball to the back of the net what can Ralf do. It's not that we have an abundance of strikers.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Where the feck is Cavani?! We have an old striker who cant move or shoot and nobody to even sub him with.

Anybody still buying mysterious groin issues of Edison?

And can we please let Rashford go? Whatever is wrong with him, the guy is useless. A random academy player can do more

Teja

Where the feck is Cavani?! We have an old striker who cant move or shoot and nobody to even sub him with.

Anybody still buying mysterious groin issues of Edison?

And can we please let Rashford go? Whatever is wrong with him, the guy is useless. A random academy player can do more
We could've easily subbed Ronaldo for Rashford, but we didn't. At this point, I assume Rangnick just wants to do everything he can to appease Ronnie and keep him on his side in the dressing room.

Polar

Ok… We were unlucky today, but we didn’t exactly play convincing taking the other side into consideration.

We’ve become boring Man United under Rangnick :(

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
As 0-0s go, that was of one of the more enjoyable. There was some good attacking football on display. Ronaldo is tilted at the moment though. He’s lost all composure in front of goal and this is something new for him to deal with.

Yorke to Cole

I have to agree with you here. From a footballing point of view its a fair assumption greenwood could have been thriving as our number 9 right now. This opportunity was ideal for him to stake his claim. All along I was so opposes to Ronaldo arriving and stifling his development but he make a great job going one better an ruining his own career
[/QUOTE]

I recall after the Brentford and West Ham matches that going forward we have the correct amount of options that are adaptable to rotate and the ability to interchange during matches.

Yes Martial would have left, but what has happened is that the we have been left with Lingard, who simply wants to leave and (quite frankly should have gone last summer ).

With Rashford in awful form, we are now short and Ronaldo cannot be given a rest or rotated during matches.
I was optimistic going into that break, but I just think with everything else from Solkjaer's dismissal (being too late) and other upheaval, be it injuries, poor form from individual players and unrest. It has been the hair that broke the camel's back.

I just do not see a break coming from anywhere, unfortunately. You can see the anxiety and frustration I the players (particularly Fernandes) when things are not going our way.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Yeah home draws with Everton Southampton & Watford, defeats to Villa & Wolves too. That's not accounting for draws at Southampton, Burnley & Newcastle combined with defeat to Watford.
How's that hernia mate? Mine's starting to smart I must say

killerboi2

Terrible WUM
Wum? The goalkeeper thing is a straight fact. There was a long running situation of the goalkeeper winning player of the year before Ole fixed it (and in my opinion also fixed Mourinho's garbage style of football)

However determined modern day fans are to turn the club into Arsenal Fan Tv and blame Ole forever doesn't change that.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Wum? The goalkeeper thing is a straight fact. There was a long running situation of the goalkeeper winning player of the year before Ole fixed it (and in my opinion also fixed Mourinho's garbage style of football)

However determined modern day fans are to turn the club into Arsenal Fan Tv and blame Ole forever doesn't change that.
Ole fixed if? You mean David De Gea playing like boiled shite for 18 months was all part of Ole’s cunning plan?

killerboi2

Ole fixed if? You mean David De Gea playing like boiled shite for 18 months was all part of Ole’s cunning plan?
League positions were no worse in Ole's full seasons than Mourinho or LVG

Thanks for proving my point that the attacking football must have been better if the goalkeeper was that terrible under Ole.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
League positions were no worse in Ole's full seasons than Mourinho or LVG

Thanks for proving my point that the attacking football must have been better if the goalkeeper was that terrible under Ole.
The feck are you on about now? Your point hasn’t been proven at all. De Gea’s individual level of performance fell of a cliff over the last two seasons. That’s why he wasn’t in the running for any player of the season awards. Obviously. Which has sweet feck all to do with Ole.

Wing Attack Plan R

So what do you guys think: has Maguire lost his place, and who does McTominay come in for? Lindelof and Varane are my preferred CB pairing. Next up is Man City, who do you want on the ramparts? It's going to be like the battle of Helm's Deep.
I think with Bruno, Fred, and Pogba all starting, we lacked the workhorse industry of McT. I'd keep Pogba and Bruno on, play them with McT, Fred as a late sub.

LJP

Started the game off brightly, good pass and movement. Managed to open up a packed defence and get chances. However, the chances we didn’t put away were the issue and real cause for concern.

It reminded me of that cheat code in one of the earlier FIFA games, where your opponent couldn’t score against you.

Ronaldo, hits the post. A guy of his calibre should be scoring from there. If he does, at that stage of the game, it’s a different story.

Bruno goes through and messes up a couple of times. No finesse, no little chip over the keeper one on one. Making Forster look like peak Schmeichel by blasting shots at him.

Yet again today, the build up from the back was very slow. Watching from behind the goals, we could clearly see passes that the players had options of, they either didn’t look for the best option, or held onto the ball for seconds longer than they should have.

In the times we attacked with speed and strength, we looked dangerous and it provided opportunities. Which sadly were not taken.

Eddy_JukeZ

We should have easily won that game. Kevin Friend was a joke too.

Our finishing has been porous lately. It has to turn around at some point.

AndyMUFC86

Funnily enough I’ve been claiming this to friends and family for 2 years and the longer it continues it’s becoming the only explanation. In all seriousness how can you have ronaldo, the greatest goal scorer in history, Bruno, one of the most creative footballers in the world right now, sancho/rashford, two of the best young wingers in the game right now, Pogba, world class footballer who any team in the world would love to have and be unable to score against Watford at home? My only conclusion is we are cursed

Bondi77

Drive for show Putt for Dough is a term used in golf which sort of sums up the game for me......we cannot putt for shit!

adamwest

So what do you guys think: has Maguire lost his place, and who does McTominay come in for? Lindelof and Varane are my preferred CB pairing. Next up is Man City, who do you want on the ramparts?
I think with Bruno, Fred, and Pogba all starting, we lacked the workhorse industry of McT. I'd keep Pogba and Bruno on, play them with McT, Fred as a late sub.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Positives:

1. I liked Matic in there. He adds a bit of class and helps calm things down.

2. I thought Verane and Lindloff complemented each other well, both elegant on the ball and able to bring it forward.

3. Telles played really well.

4. AWB adds alot of steel down the right side. I thought he had a great game but his attacking play is still undecisive.

Negatives:

1. Nobody stepped up and got the job done. Real lack of clarity in the crucial moments infront of goal.

2. Makes me doubt the squad togetherness when they cannot squeeze a goal out of a key game. Feels like a lack of team spirit.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
2. I thought Verane and Lindloff complemented each other well, both elegant on the ball and able to bring it forward.
There's also a confidence about their play that is lacking in the other combinations. Like you could tell when they play the ball, they always know what is next. That isn't always apparent from our CBs.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Positives:

1. I liked Matic in there. He adds a bit of class and helps calm things down.

3. Telles played really well.

4. AWB adds alot of steel down the right side. I thought he had a great game but his attacking play is still undecisive.

Negatives:

1. Nobody stepped up and got the job done. Real lack of clarity in the crucial moments infront of goal.

2. Makes me doubt the squad togetherness when they cannot squeeze a goal out of a key game. Feels like a lack of team spirit.
Not sure why you think fashioning stacks of very good chances suggests a lack of team spirit?
The bottom line was we looked good, by and large, until shooting. Ronaldo unlucky hitting the inside of the post but him, Elanga and Bruno in particular all missed sitters and that's what cost us.
The lack of striker options, with Rashford so horribly out of form, was obviously laid bare too.

julianfr

Good lord this team is gonna make me seek therapy. I had a dream last night that we'd actually won 2-0. Fred scored both. The 2nd of which was a mazy run out from defense. He hopped, skipped and danced his way past the bulk of the Watford team, ignored opportunities to pass to Ronaldo and Fernandez and then chipped the keeper, all while running as fast as Usain Bolt.

Fred! :D

We won. But I woke up in a cold sweat nonetheless...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Right at the beginning of the season I said we would pay heavily for not buying a proper No.9 (and took quite a lot of abuse here for it) and as much as I like cavani he can't play often enough to be that. The fact that the board/manager could not see that shows how far we have fallen. It was blatantly obvious that Rashford and Martial wouldn't score enough goals to fire us into the top four - and they've proved even poorer than i feared.

I've lost count of how many pretty-much open goals we've missed in the last month alone and the Watford game highlighted our short-comings. We opened them up time and time again but had just three shots on target (only one being enough to force Foster into a decent save).

It's fairly clearly we aren't even in the running for Halaand and there seems to be a sickness at the heart of the club right now. I expect zero points from the next three games...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They weren't so organised we couldn't put that array of chances in though?
Agreed for the first half at least. But later in the game, I thought that Watford were holding the line to frustrate United.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
For me the disconnect is truly official for the rest of the season :lol:, we could lose/win/draw any game till this season ends, it won't matter seriously. I will watch games just for comedic or tragic relief

Judas

Open to offers
Another game where it feels even worse the morning after. Not one to give up on top four really especially only in Feb, partly due to how shit and inconsistent all the teams are who are typically chasing that top 4 spot. But honestly we don't look near capable right now and so many teams have games in hand on us it's going to be a massive challenge now.

Rest of this month could be grim.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Doesnt matter if its Ole, Ralf, or Eric Ten Hag. The players are culpable.
Correct.
We are playing quite a bit better than under Ole. And the failure to score is getting to Ronaldo. He is trying too hard and snatching instead of being smooth.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
For me the disconnect is truly official for the rest of the season :lol:, we could lose/win/draw any game till this season ends, it won't matter seriously. I will watch games just for comedic or tragic relief
Spoken like a true United supporter...not.

Giggzy P

It was our tactics that made Watford, bottom of the table to come to Old Trafford ready to defend for their lifes? We should have made some goals but we didn't. Certainly players are to blame but I think, RR didn't make a good decision to play Bruno and Pogba as the only midfield players for so long. Both were way too far away from the opposition goal from then on, Pogba was done physically after 5 minutes playing like this. Noone really stood out negatively but that shouldn't be seen as some sort of praise. It was Watford at the end of the day. And they were quite woeful in some periods....
Not really praising us not winning, but our tactics were perfect, the fininsing was poor, we created enough chance with our tactics but Ronaldo and Bruno were at fault for not burying the game in the fist half. If we took our chances we win the game. I just enjoyed the football we played , I haven't enjoyed our football in a long time. Yesterday we could clearly see Ralf's vision.
Maybe am seeing too much into it because the previous expectations. I don't expect much from this season, just hoping for top 4 and just better quality football, to get the fear factor back of playing against us

MrBest

Yesterday was the day this team surrendered 4th, passed it over to Arsenal, told Spurs they can have a go and a message to Newcastle that there is an ipen slot for a top 4 in team in the UK. This club is a joke, nothing ever changes, all talk no action.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Watford
  • 23% Man Utd 3:0 Watford