g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

PL D FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:0 Watford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 26 February 2022

Quite the opposite of so many other games where we play shite as a team but an individual performance sees us walking away with three points. We had the chances but players bottled it when it mattered.. But what a performance from Elanga.

I was hoping Rangnick would use Ronaldo less. Ronaldo can still have an impact but in the starting eleven he'll hold us back in most games. He's too old for Premier League.

M16Red

I didn't see the match. Was it that bad?
No mate, just posters with agendas chatting broken biscuits.

Camp out in their half, in control apart from one or two moments, fast moving football.

Just couldn't score.

A-man

So what do you guys think: has Maguire lost his place, and who does McTominay come in for? Lindelof and Varane are my preferred CB pairing. Next up is Man City, who do you want on the ramparts? It's going to be like the battle of Helm's Deep.
I think with Bruno, Fred, and Pogba all starting, we lacked the workhorse industry of McT. I'd keep Pogba and Bruno on, play them with McT, Fred as a late sub.
I think Rangnick will rotate the three CBs. To me, it makes no sense to play Maguire against City as I don’t think we need his strengths. Also, Rangnick seems unwilling to make defensive changes after a clean sheet, but we’ll see.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I think Rangnick will rotate the three CBs. To me, it makes no sense to play Maguire against City as I don’t think we need his strengths. Also, Rangnick seems unwilling to make defensive changes after a clean sheet, but we’ll see.
Against City you need mobility in defence and most of all concentration.

A-man

Against City you need mobility in defence and most of all concentration.
Exactly, and not so much aerial dominance. Pushing forward and being overplayed could be costly, and both Lindelof and Varane prefer to defend the space behind instead.

Green_Red

Fred is the problem. I don't understand how he continues to get games.

Maticmaker

One of those games when we could have played all afternoon and never scored... oh wait a minute, yes that's what we did do!

We needed three things yesterday;
- someone to try playing down the middle, just occasionally to fool the opposition etc. ( to his credit Matic did that occasionally);
- someone to be able to break the rigid defensive lines such has set up by Watford;
- a lucky charm (or Harry Kane) that will break through the 'ghost wall' that (ex-red) Foster sets up around his goal whenever he plays against us!

Ronaldo's Love Child

I have watched every United game this season and last except Watford as my foreign TV subscription wasn't showing it for some reason.

For some reason that dire 0-0 against Watford is the final nail in the coffin of me watching Utd.

We've been through a pandemic, through Brexit and now going through a war in Europe that could easily escalate. I watch United to be entertained. I don't care if they lose or draw as long as I can see they are fighting to win. It is that hope and optimism that becomes the drug to want to watch the next match and the one after etc

But I'm not seeing that with this team. Whether we play City, Barcelona, Nottm Forest or Watford I can't genuinely predict if we will even turn up with a performance let alone a win.

rk4utd

I have watched every United game this season and last except Watford as my foreign TV subscription wasn't showing it for some reason.

For some reason that dire 0-0 against Watford is the final nail in the coffin of me watching Utd.

We've been through a pandemic, through Brexit and now going through a war in Europe that could easily escalate. I watch United to be entertained. I don't care if they lose or draw as long as I can see they are fighting to win. It is that hope and optimism that becomes the drug to want to watch the next match and the one after etc

But I'm not seeing that with this team. Whether we play City, Barcelona, Nottm Forest or Watford I can't genuinely predict if we will even turn up with a performance let alone a win.
Meanwhile those of us in the actual ground will continue to support our club - through thick and thin. Of the 44 years I’ve been a match-going supporter we were dross for the first 12 years and we have been dross pretty much for the last 9. So roughly 50% of the time has been pretty special.The glory days will eventually return and until then ‘forever and ever, we’ll follow the boys…..’

Ronaldo's Love Child

Meanwhile those of us in the actual ground will continue to support our club - through thick and thin. Of the 44 years I’ve been a match-going supporter we were dross for the first 12 years and we have been dross pretty much for the last 9. So roughly 50% of the time has been pretty special.The glory days will eventually return and until then ‘forever and ever, we’ll follow the boys…..’
I have supported them for over 40 years and remember the barren years too.

It's the lack of effort and attitude that sickens me.I actually don't mind if we lose or fail to win a trophy for years but at least let me see some spirit and love of playing for the club. I don't see that anymore. These players are on astronomical wages yet many of them can't be bothered to put a shift in.

Football is about entertainment.

I admire your loyalty but it can be argued that the fans inside the stadium who blindly supported managers who were clearly not fit for purpose have damaged the club further

Grande

If you consider that performance dire, I wonder if your predisposition is so locked on disappointment that you struggle to see what actually happens in the games. Or your eyes are drawn towards the scoreline instead of the game, maybe?

Yesterday was a performance of structure and aggressive pressing that lead to Watford having almost no attacking play at all during 90 mins. Not one player did not show up to fight for the ball until the final minute of the game.

It was also a game were the players continued to combine quickly, keep hold of the ball, vary their attacking methods all throughout. This resulted in a host of goal chances, near chances, a post hit, a goal marginally cancelled and two decent penalty shouts denied by VAR. United were dangerous throughout, both halves of the game.

When you claim not to care if we win or lose, as long as we fight and entertain, it remains to me mysterious what you mean by ‘entertainment’ if the above doesn’t suffice. Should we have let them have more chances as well? Fred maybe instigate a fisticuffs to get red carded, just for some extra drama? Or is ‘entertainment’ equal to goals (hardly, as there were six in our previous league game).

I’m as disappointed as the next man when we don’t score at home to an inferior team, but I’m able to see the difference of a lacklustre performance like the away loss to Watford, and an active and dominant performance like that. It’s opposite end of the scales.

matt10000

If you consider that performance dire, I wonder if your predisposition is so locked on disappointment that you struggle to see what actually happens in the games. Or your eyes are drawn towards the scoreline instead of the game, maybe?

Yesterday was a performance of structure and aggressive pressing that lead to Watford having almost no attacking play at all during 90 mins. Not one player did not show up to fight for the ball until the final minute of the game.

It was also a game were the players continued to combine quickly, keep hold of the ball, vary their attacking methods all throughout. This resulted in a host of goal chances, near chances, a post hit, a goal marginally cancelled and two decent penalty shouts denied by VAR. United were dangerous throughout, both halves of the game.

When you claim not to care if we win or lose, as long as we fight and entertain, it remains to me mysterious what you mean by ‘entertainment’ if the above doesn’t suffice. Should we have let them have more chances as well? Fred maybe instigate a fisticuffs to get red carded, just for some extra drama? Or is ‘entertainment’ equal to goals (hardly, as there were six in our previous league game).

I’m as disappointed as the next man when we don’t score at home to an inferior team, but I’m able to see the difference of a lacklustre performance like the away loss to Watford, and an active and dominant performance like that. It’s opposite end of the scales.
Spot on

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline

Really good post.

Andre Kagawa

Great post. Agreed!

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
We could've easily subbed Ronaldo for Rashford, but we didn't. At this point, I assume Rangnick just wants to do everything he can to appease Ronnie and keep him on his side in the dressing room.
Who is Rashford? Is there a footballer with that lastname?

redmanx

Yes it was a good performance, maybe, throughout 90 minutes, our best of the season, but players you would bet your house on to score are really struggling to do so and have been for a while now. Yes we played well but when we play City, Liverpool or Chelsea they will punish us for not scoring.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I think the match, outside of the result, was by far our best performance of the season. Playing like a dominant team, on the front foot, with great tempo (which was non-existent against Atletico until Matic was introduced) controlling a game from start to finish. It's easy to ignore all that due to the shite result and the likely reality that we won't qualify for the CL. But if this hints at what Rangnick wants to do, I am all for it. Dropping Maguire allowed us to really push up which we hardly ever do with him, and he does play a part in our zombie tempo. Fielding Matic, which is obviously not a sustainable solution, gave us midfield penetration for once and like we saw Atletico, it completely changes this football team. Having Elanga on the right, on quite a few occasions saw him beat his man like an old fashioned winger, carrying the ball along the touchline before trying to find someone in the box. All these things were completely novel to how we've been set up for a long time now.

Those first 30 minutes against Palace were maybe a false dawn, indicating a willingness by the players not really seen since then. But this performance, criminal finishing aside, is definitely what I'd value over results in the short-term so we evolve to play football that's not horrific to observe. A breath of fresh air.

And yet we fielded a midfielder who can't pass, a full back who offers nothing in attack, and a wing back who offers almost nothing in defense, and a striker who can't press.

Grande

Yes it was a good performance, maybe, throughout 90 minutes, our best of the season, but players you would bet your house on to score are really struggling to do so and have been for a while now. Yes we played well but when we play City, Liverpool or Chelsea they will punish us for not scoring.
Don’t know if you noticed, but I wasn’t responding to someone saying we’ll struggle against City and Liverpool this month, the context was someone claiming that he’d quit on Man Utd because to his mind, that performance was so dire and lacklustre.

I think we’ll definitely struggle against City and Liverpool (like anyone else) if we don’t score (which teams seldom do). I think probably many will find themselves longing back to when Solskjær regularily had us play tight games with them and even win most games vs City. This season, we tried playing higher up the pitch and more unrestrained against them and were butchered. We might see something similar at this point - these players have not played this way enough yet not to panic and falter when their attempts at pressing or playing through press doesn’t succeed.

I think your point about proven goalscorers not scoring, apart from pointing towards a patch of bad luck, is really grounds for optimism in the longer run. Apart from Ronaldo, whose age is bound to show at some point, we have players like Bruno, Rashford and Sanco (and Martial) who all have had sustained periods of producing goals and end product. We know they have the capacity, it’s not going to get trained off them. What seems likely to me, is that, as our new ways of attacking become more settled and second nature to everyone, they will get the surplus of overview and confidence that will allow them - or at leadt some of them - to also get back to finishing stuff like they know how to.

I think the match, outside of the result, was by far our best performance of the season. Playing like a dominant team, on the front foot, with great tempo (which was non-existent against Atletico until Matic was introduced) controlling a game from start to finish. It's easy to ignore all that due to the shite result and the likely reality that we won't qualify for the CL. But if this hints at what Rangnick wants to do, I am all for it. Dropping Maguire allowed us to really push up which we hardly ever do with him, and he does play a part in our zombie tempo. Fielding Matic, which is obviously not a sustainable solution, gave us midfield penetration for once and like we saw Atletico, it completely changes this football team. Having Elanga on the right, on quite a few occasions saw him beat his man like an old fashioned winger, carrying the ball along the touchline before trying to find someone in the box. All these things were completely novel to how we've been set up for a long time now.

Those first 30 minutes against Palace were maybe a false dawn, indicating a willingness by the players not really seen since then. But this performance, criminal finishing aside, is definitely what I'd value over results in the short-term so we evolve to play football that's not horrific to observe. A breath of fresh air.

And yet we fielded a midfielder who can't pass, a full back who offers nothing in attack, and a wing back who offers almost nothing in defense, and a striker who can't press.
Some really fine points there. Interesting point about Matic, I see what you are pointing out there with his ability to pass a man and also switch play fast if his mind is set on it, even if his focus and precision falters when he gets exhausted.

I think it’s interesting though, that our ‘good play’ have appeared in most games lately, and their periods have lengthened progressively - more or less regardless of who has been playing. We have dominated teams for spells with and without Matic, Fred, McTominay, Maguire, Varane, Sancho, Rashford, Ronaldo and Cavani, and likewise been stale for spells with all of them. To me, it points towards what we’re seeing having less to do with personnell choices and more to do with collective flow, learning, and focus.

NZT-One

Not really praising us not winning, but our tactics were perfect, the fininsing was poor, we created enough chance with our tactics but Ronaldo and Bruno were at fault for not burying the game in the fist half. If we took our chances we win the game. I just enjoyed the football we played , I haven't enjoyed our football in a long time. Yesterday we could clearly see Ralf's vision.
Maybe am seeing too much into it because the previous expectations. I don't expect much from this season, just hoping for top 4 and just better quality football, to get the fear factor back of playing against us
When we call a performance that brought us a draw against Watford "perfect" then that term has finally lost all his meaning. So I guess, you are "perfectly" right. ;) To be serious, I get that part with the expectations. Mine are pretty low as well. I think, that isn't necessarily a bad thing as we could use the time to really evaluate the squad, some youngsters and formations. But I feel we don't do that enough (I get it, the club needs results) which to me feels a bit moving sideways.

I am happy, so many are happy with what they see. This is a positive trend to where we came from. There is no denial that we look more organized, we try to play a bit more ambitiously and we finally are playing at a speed, where at least the occasional error is forced by opposition leading to chances.
Apart from that, there is quite a big room to improve. I don't think, we are particularly strong in defense, as soon as somebody ups the tempo, we looked a little shaky in the last 5 games.
In attack, it mostly looks like under Ole I'd say. Ole football with Sancho and a little less "verticality". But chances still either appear from individual moments - be it opposition mistakes (that we are slowly starting to provoke) or moments of magic. The verticality is still way too much for my personal preference as it feels unnecessarily forced and doesn't really achieve its goal: adding more pressure.
The builtup is the phase, I'd say we improved the most - we are trying to play the ball out using patterns and triangles, we make use of feints and a few dribbles. This looks a little bit more like a team with a plan. Distances between players aren't as huge these days, but it is still not great.

I guess, this is something to be happy about, but I won't deny that I am a bit fearful about the pace of this development. Still feel we made a mistake not adding a player or two in January, now the summer will come and we are not a millimeter closer to a better "take-over" position.... Even further away considering the possible dimension of Ronaldos form and usefulness, the continued "form" of Rashford and the Greenwood situation.

Lets see where we stand against better opposition. Last mentionworthy opposition was Atletico, and I think, they had us on a plate. I'm looking forward to how RR will set us up against the better teams. He has my backing, even if I appear critical of the performances.

Last edited:

justsomebloke

Heartbreaker of a game, to the extent I've hardly been able to think about football for the past week. We dominated totally from the beginning to the end, and I can't even remember the last time I was able to say that. But then what good is that when you don't score, and end up giving away two vital points at home against a relegation-level side. Just gutting. We'll see how it goes from there against City today, but right now it just feels numbly blank.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Watford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Man Utd 2:0 Watford
  • 23% Man Utd 3:0 Watford