FA D FA Cup Quarter-Final

Manchester United 1:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 13 March 2016

Nik70

Did anyone else feel nothing when we equalised?
I nearly made the missus sh*t herself with the scream I let out. The dog wasn't too happy either. How could you feel nothing?? If anything you should be more happy considering the fact that goal scoring by us is a less common occurrence.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I thought there was extra time so thought i'd get an extra half hour of football. It wasn't to be. Will the replay be a couple of days before the semi-final? That will be nice for whoever plays the winning team if so.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
I don't think you can tell - so not enough in it for the pen, not certain that he dives either.
There's definite contact but it's made with the sole of his foot, hard to believe that would have been enough to bring him down, but I'd need someone to do it to me while I'm sprinting to know for sure.

Also it's easy for Howard to say penalty from his armchair but it's another one to give it when all eyes in OT are on you, he would know that himself, often saw him decide to make no decision during his career.

Stupid of Rojo to slide there, but even worse from Fellaini to get beaten by man and ball so, so easily.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't think you can tell - so not enough in it for the pen, not certain that he dives either.
He anticipated Rojo sliding in and was hitting the floor before he even got "touched".

That tiny touch was payets own boot touching Rojo as his leg came backwards, rather than Rojo initiating the contact.

From the live tv angle I was certain the pen would be given, but upon the replay it's absolutely clear he was looking for it massively.

Just having a tiny little touch doesn't mean it should be a penalty, he could easily carry on there. Just like his free kick he got for the goal he scored. A tiny little bump by blind and he falls over. That isn't enough contact to knock a man like him over unless he's falling on purpose, but refs fall for it and give it every single time.

Tyrion

West Ham were disappointed to draw with us. It's going to take a while for that to sink in.

paulscholes18

Same shit different day. Saying that Payet should had got a 2nd yellow for a clear dive.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
LVG is a right lucky bastard... now we'll get dumped out away from home, so there's no chance of the crowd turning on him.

Not that easy on Thursday mind you... he's going to have to use up all his luck for that one.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Absolutely, the FA needs to address the performance and capability of Martin Atkinson. West Ham could have had three players sent off today.
Yeah the ref was shite but I'm talking about the actual policing of the fans. Letting out 11,000 West Ham fans at the same time as ours was brainless especially when there had been scuffles before the game already. West Ham fans are also scum of the earth.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah the ref was shite but I'm talking about the actual policing of the fans. Letting out 11,000 West Ham fans at the same time as ours was brainless especially when there had been scuffles before the game already. West Ham fans are also scum of the earth.
Oh sh!t...hadn't heard about that. Just finished watching the match a few minutes ago. Insanity!

*also explains why I thought referring to the match officials duties as policing curious.

Ozio

LVG is a right lucky bastard... now we'll get dumped out away from home, so there's no chance of the crowd turning on him.

Not that easy on Thursday mind you... he's going to have to use up all his luck for that one.
It doesn't really matter if the crowd turns on him, now does it? It won't change a thing if/when it happens.

Esquire

Quite right. The only concerns I have is that Herrera is not really a no.10 and lacks creativity compared to Mata ( who si very technical but lacks speed and energy ), and although Lingard may not be good enough for the starting XI we seem very restricted in our options up front. LVG has really decimated the attack.
In terms of pure creativity I agree with you Mata is better. But Herrera I feel can be our Oscar if given the chance. He is full of running, can move the ball and has that little bit of nasty streak in him. Mata can be bullied off the ball to easily and offers nothing defensively.

I'm not even going to vent about LVG anymore. It's a waste of energy and he is here for the rest of this year no matter what happens.

I love Utd and will never stop supporting the team but these games absolutely bring me no joy. To watch us sink so low is almost farcical and definitely surreal.

Esquire

That smile, ear to ear grin, as he shook hands and walked away wuth Slavic was the worst scene of the day. The fecker was ecstatic with the draw.
I just saw that photo. Slavic was not pleased and LVG grinning like a dope. I was seething too.

Esquire

I think we all knew that West Ham were going to be pretty tough to beat even at OT, so today's result isn't that much of a shock. I think I had a 1-1 result, a lucky guess, but I never saw us winning this match handily as we should.

Disappointments for me:

Starting Fellaini. He's dreadful and it boggles the mind that LVG continues to play him.

Relying too heavily on two defensive midfielders. We're getting, well, hammered by lesser teams on set pieces, not open play. There's no need to be so defensive when defending in open play isn't our problem.

Not giving Januzaj and Pereira a chance. They're not the magic bullet, but they've earned the right to play in games like this.

Misusing Blind. Blind has done well for most of the season in an unnatural position, but with Rojo and Darmian back why not use Blind as a left sided midfielder instead of a CB? Hell, we could even use him as a second defensive mid if a 4231 formation is absolutely critical.

Lack of intensity. Nothing new here and I'm sure fatigue is setting in with players like Blind who's played almost every match this season and Carrick, who's old now, but the "philosophy" has robbed the players of their will to fight. They're more interested in pointless sideways passes than creating chances on goal.
About the Blind point - I agree that we should move Blind back to mid. Problem is that LVG obviously does not trust Rojo at CB. It's not entirely wrong because Rojo is an atrocious passer. He cannot be counted on to ping balls forward quickly and that's why Blind is back there. Rojo and Smalling would definitely succumb to the high press.

Re Adnan and Pereira - just goes to show LVG is complete BS about youth. Depay has been generally poor this season and Adnan should at least be given a chance. Honestly he can't do much worse than Depay. Same with Pereira. All this BS about a small squad due to youth policy is completely wank.

Ji_Maria

Was it a dive? Webbo said it should have been a pen

Reminds me of Diego Costa's dive against the Netherlands in the World Cup. Held back his leg hoping for the contact and as soon as he got it down he went.

Ji_Maria

I think we all knew that West Ham were going to be pretty tough to beat even at OT, so today's result isn't that much of a shock. I think I had a 1-1 result, a lucky guess, but I never saw us winning this match handily as we should.

Disappointments for me:

Starting Fellaini. He's dreadful and it boggles the mind that LVG continues to play him.

Relying too heavily on two defensive midfielders. We're getting, well, hammered by lesser teams on set pieces, not open play. There's no need to be so defensive when defending in open play isn't our problem.

Not giving Januzaj and Pereira a chance. They're not the magic bullet, but they've earned the right to play in games like this.

Misusing Blind. Blind has done well for most of the season in an unnatural position, but with Rojo and Darmian back why not use Blind as a left sided midfielder instead of a CB? Hell, we could even use him as a second defensive mid if a 4231 formation is absolutely critical.

Lack of intensity. Nothing new here and I'm sure fatigue is setting in with players like Blind who's played almost every match this season and Carrick, who's old now, but the "philosophy" has robbed the players of their will to fight. They're more interested in pointless sideways passes than creating chances on goal.
Agree with everything but the Januzaj point. He had plenty of chances last season and all he did was waste them with stupid decision making and sloppy play. By ALL accounts he has a poor attitude and seems to think he is a star already.

Drop him and get rid.

SoCross

Noble should have been sent off first half as well for two yellows. Clear as day fouls.

RedDevil@84

Hey..Atkinson is a real cnut isn't he? I mean the guy really really makes so many mistakes in all the matches he officiates. Surely there is scrutiny here by someone. I'm not saying we would have won, no...but the standard of his referring is so poor.
Dont think FA has any kind of scrutiny for quality of refs. He has been a poor ref, and blamed a million times of bias for last 7-8 yrs at least.

Roosney

Same shit different day. Saying that Payet should had got a 2nd yellow for a clear dive.
Basically this. Boring but quite ok performance from us but I was getting almost the Suarez type of rage with this Payet guy. Disgusting that he dives twice and then scores off the post. Nice shot though.

Perrick Dubois

There is no fight in this team. No drive, no determination. It is all about tactical smarts and sometimes we need to devolve the game into a fist fight and today was one of those days.

LeftyBlaster

There is no fight in this team. No drive, no determination. It is all about tactical smarts and sometimes we need to devolve the game into a fist fight and today was one of those days.
This end leg of the season is a brawl now. We just need to let loose and get down and dirty. We're already the guy who's taken some bad hits and is about to go down for the count.

Perrick Dubois

This end leg of the season is a brawl now. We just need to let loose and get down and dirty. We're already the guy who's taken some bad hits and is about to go down for the count.
Under Fergie we'd be dancing the ring before November, throwing counter punches until Christmas then throwing haymakers ready for the knockout come March. This season has been one big case of walking out to the intro music, then walking back into the sheds saying "na I'm not ready yet".

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Dive. Should have been off.

West Ham fan at work reckons ours should have been disallowed as well, he says a United player pushed Bastian into their keeper.

acrebo

Dive. Should have been off.

West Ham fan at work reckons ours should have been disallowed as well, he says a United player pushed Bastian into their keeper.
Eh!?!

I was going to try and find an image but then decided I simply can't be bothered. I don't even think a United player was near Schweinsteiger when he was pushed!

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Eh!?!

I was going to try and find an image but then decided I simply can't be bothered. I don't even think a United player was near Schweinsteiger when he was pushed!
:lol: I just smirked and didn't say anything. Why even debate football with people like that, you're not going to change their mind. Why on earth would a United player decide to just start physically bullying Bastian Schweinsteiger :lol:

mark_a

Payet dragged his left foot behind him "looking" for a trip. No-one on earth runs like that. He'd started to "go" before there was any small/debatable contact. I'd say a good call that it wasn't a pen. His diving was clever enough that I think it'll get him off a ban, which is a shame as it was a dive. If they don't punish this stuff properly (like they said they would) they'll end up with only the bad divers getting punished.

Let's not forget any United player would be being absolutely pilloried for that. We'd have the pundits giving it the "It's either a pen of a dive" rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt because it's a player they have good will for. It happened the other season with Vardy against us, where he should obviously have been penalised but was allowed to carry on and score.

In terms of performance, I reckon we had 20 minutes in total where we looked decent. The rest of the time was spent looking slow, unimaginative, dithering, no-movement or being put under pressure.

ManUchosenbosslvg

Supports
Manchester reds
Payet dragged his left foot behind him "looking" for a trip. No-one on earth runs like that. He'd started to "go" before there was any small/debatable contact. I'd say a good call that it wasn't a pen. His diving was clever enough that I think it'll get him off a ban, which is a shame as it was a dive. If they don't punish this stuff properly (like they said they would) they'll end up with only the bad divers getting punished.

Let's not forget any United player would be being absolutely pilloried for that. We'd have the pundits giving it the "It's either a pen of a dive" rather than giving him the benefit of the doubt because it's a player they have good will for. It happened the other season with Vardy against us, where he should obviously have been penalised but was allowed to carry on and score.

In terms of performance, I reckon we had 20 minutes in total where we looked decent. The rest of the time was spent looking slow, unimaginative, dithering, no-movement or being put under pressure.
He def shortens his stride, whether that's to ensure he gets a touch on the ball ahead of Rojo or because he's already decided he's going down I don't know.

If it was the other way around there'd be some on here saying our player is entitled to go down there, and giving out if he stayed on his feet but the chance came to nothing, just one of those that people complain about either way, this time we got the luck.

acrebo

He def shortens his stride, whether that's to ensure he gets a touch on the ball ahead of Rojo or because he's already decided he's going down I don't know.

If it was the other way around there'd be some on here saying our player is entitled to go down there, and giving out if he stayed on his feet but the chance came to nothing, just one of those that people complain about either way, this time we got the luck.
Disagree. Picking the obvious example, if Young went down like that we'd be pissed off at him.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Bad result for us but I would have taken it when we went behind.Atkinson is a poor excuse for a referee.Payet dived and should have been sent off in my view.

mark_a

Watch it again, he drags his back foot looking for it. Therefore = dive

montpelier

I still don't think you can tell for sure, you can't even tell the amount of contact there may or may not be.

RedOldBoy

In terms of pure creativity I agree with you Mata is better. But Herrera I feel can be our Oscar if given the chance. He is full of running, can move the ball and has that little bit of nasty streak in him. Mata can be bullied off the ball to easily and offers nothing defensively.

I'm not even going to vent about LVG anymore. It's a waste of energy and he is here for the rest of this year no matter what happens.

I love Utd and will never stop supporting the team but these games absolutely bring me no joy. To watch us sink so low is almost farcical and definitely surreal.
The first time in years I got a heartache watching United. And then the camera switches to a passionless LVG on the bench when every fan looks distraught and seeks a spark of enthusiasm especially from the coaching staff. Appalling.

Player Ratings

5.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 400 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 15% Man Utd 0:2 West Ham
  • 14% Man Utd 1:2 West Ham