FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Manchester United 1:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 09 February 2021

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Irritating that it had to go to extra time given West Ham were so incredibly bad, but it's done so oh well. Probably better that Amad didn't debut in such a tumescent game.

RashyForPM

I celebrated the win as much as I celebrated the final whistle to put an end to that shite. Dreadful performance, but in the cup of course we just have to win and go through. Not helped by Moyes playing 8 defensive-minded outfield players.

Seriously though, Aloysius Paulus’ teams played better football than we did in this game.

wolvored

Good goal. Shit match. He needs to drop Martial now for the weekend. Waste of space.

GazTheLegend

Rashford looked disinterested at times, but there was some unbelievable skill in there too at some points to remind us how good he can be. Frustrating player.

Judas

Open to offers
Crap. Game was there to be won in the 90 minutes, instead had to go through an extra half an hour.

But we're through thankfully, that's the main thing.

Ludens the Red

Was like the van Gaal days. Pointless sideways possession and passing.
No playing between the lines. Safe passing, safe running, nobody shooting and then to make it like a proper van Gaal game, subbed two full backs.
Considering that was against a makeshift West Ham with one centre back and a few kids out a woeful performance.
but through nonetheless.....

No Spring Chicken

Totally forgettable game. I wouldn't even say it was a poor performance, we deserved the win, never look threatened and other than a spell at the start of the second half, made all the running. It was just really boring.

The main disappointment is that our second string players didn't really show very much. VDB was a let down, Telles looked hesitant, Matic showed nothing and Martial was poor when he was up front. Williams was a bright spot, thought he looked decent when he came on. Henderson had so little to do it was hard to judge.

On the plus side... it's finished.

Shimo

Good win. mediocre performance. Rashford wasteful with the 2 chances that fell his way. West Ham didn't really offer anything of note. It's just not happening any of the 3 strikers right now.

Leg-End

Moyes tried to fully Moyes us but just ended up pulling a Moyes to put his team through another pointless Moyesish 30 mins.

Classic Moyes, that rapscallion

sparx99

Martial is beyond useless in the team.

Wastes chances after chances, offers nothing going forward, doesn't defend.

Why is he in the starting XI each week.
Genuinely looked excellent most of last season. What has happened to him this year? He’s gotta be sold in the summer if this keeps up.

Banana Republic

tumescent and slow.
Should have upped a gear once we went one up, but we just jogged around in 2nd gear with no urgency or desire to kill the game off.
Martial will be the target from the Caf again, but at least he put some effort in and was trying, even if it wasn’t good enough in the end. Unlike the fan’s favourite, the useless Rashford. Another rubbish effort from this lad.

Pjisared

Our forwards were dire. For once defence kept a clean sheet.
I couldn't see us scoring.. but hey-ho, nice one scotty

Oliver_

Glad this is over And we got a result.
Beyond me how Matic survived 71 full minutes on that pitch.

Real Name

Win is a win. Solid performance, boring game, I'm not sure why I watched the whole thing. West Ham came just to spoil the party. McT is gonna be a some player.
At this moment Martial wouldn't hit a sand in a desert.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
VDB was poor as well. Too safe, passing it back and sideways.

Maybe he would be better in MF.

King Eric 7

We did OK just lacked the cutting edge tonight. At least we finally got over the line :)

Red Royal

Martial is beyond useless in the team.

Wastes chances after chances, offers nothing going forward, doesn't defend.

Why is he in the starting XI each week.
I was more annoyed with Rashford, aside from one or two pieces of skill he was very poor...I actually think Martial was working harder.

sparx99

I can't believe we are 2nd with those forwards.
How are we top scorers? I literally have no idea. It’s so confusing! Our strikers aren’t scoring, our defenders don’t really score. Bruno has about 12 but after that whose getting them?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Would sure be nice with Bristol or Bornemouth in the quarter final. But I assume we'll draw Chelsea or Leicester.

Zexstream

Anti-anti-racist
Glad the game is over, cant have been easy conditions out there to play in. Shame we didn't see the new young lad come on.

hopefully we can go all the way.

MonkeysMagic

Terrible performance, but we have come to expect that when Ole's team are in a downward spiral as we are now. There is no cohesive style of play to fall back on so every game will be a toss up on who wins.

siw2007

Glad that one is over. No tempo or creativity tonight, got one lucky break away which we scored from. Fair play to West Ham, they defended really well but I felt that 1 0 to us was a fair result.

No one really stood out as a star performer but I will give a hypothetical pat on the back for Brandon. He hasn't got much of a look in this season and when he has has looked out of sorts but he put in some good tackles in the 2nd half. Martial looked better and good work from Scott as well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Get in. Deserved win, tumescent game, but they showed absolutely 0 intent to even get out of their half which is a bit of a joke. It's a one legged tie, go for it at least. Defence was good, can't complain about any of the fullbacks at either end, was the attackers and midfielders that let them down for not winning sooner! Henderson flawless as well, nothing to do but he claimed crosses well to not incite any unneeded pressure.

Rashford was brutal, Martial at least worked hard and his touch/hold up play was pretty good, but his shooting and passing (and confidence in general to run at players) is non-existent these days. Greenwood was decent, had some pretty good wing play, didn't really get involved in chances but don't think that was on him.

Van de Beek as usual when played as a #10, is irrelevant. No point in playing him there. It has nothing to do with him getting confidence or used to it. He just doesn't know how to play the role. Difference night and day when Bruno came on.

Fred's had better games. Matic did alright but McTominay makes such a big difference with his energy and attacking burst.

Glad we're through though in the end. We need to prioritize the FA Cup IMO. Need a trophy.

Okey

On to the next round! That's all that mattered tonight. Nothing else to live in the memory either. Get some rest lads, luckily next game not till Sunday.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Terrible performance, but we have come to expect that when Ole's team are in a downward spiral as we are now. There is no cohesive style of play to fall back on so every game will be a toss up on who wins.
Haha what a load of nonsense.

Irwin99

Not a great game but the result is all important. Disappointing to add more minutes with extra time to an already packed season.

As i said in the match thread I rate Harry Maguire but MOTM :houllier: I thought he was a bit clumsy at times.Greenwood, AWB, Telles, Lindelof (after a rocky first twenty minutes or so) all had better games in my opinion.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 21% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham