FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Manchester United 1:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 09 February 2021

CM

Drab but it's the result that counts. Shame Diallo didn't get on in extra time

lost7

The next games are gonna be rough. West Brom is gonna park the bus and we're gonna struggle breaking down their defense with this midfield unless Bruno does Bruno things

Fitchett

Dull match, but that's to be expected with West Ham's ambition being to play for a penalty shoot out. We kept our patience and shape and finally got the goal we deserved. Just think, we could be playing like West Ham every week, "if only we had given Moyes more time". :lol:

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
Deserved to win, little slow on the build up. Better when Bruno came on. His ball to Greenwood was sexy...but he himself misplaced some poor passes.

Rashford was awful, Martial disappointing, Lindelof was terrible at times. Greenwood again showing that he's got a fair bit to learn.

AWB and Telles were decent. Hendo fairly assured without being tested too much. Fred was a weird one for me...mopped up well and recycled the ball....but it just seemed every forward pass was off...Harry good...love McTominay tbf. Brought some much needed energy too.

Though I was watching through my 4 year old climbing on me for half of it so I'm happy to be corrected :lol:

Oh, and I wish someone would volley that cnut Noble right in the fecking plums. The prick.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Greenwood was my man of the match for the 90 minutes, him coming off was predictable and baffling.
There’s no justification for him coming off before the other guys. Particularly Rashford who frankly has been appalling for weeks.

sparx99

I was thinking about league goals but looking at this list I’m surprised McTominay is upto 7 now. Martial minutes per goal is terrible for a centre forward. Greenwood is obviously hugely disappointing after last season.

We seem to have frozen Mata and James out at the minute and just ply Greenwood and Martial regardless of how well they’re playing which doesn’t seem like a way to push them to perform.

Pjisared

Its now time for Ole to be brave and not only stick Martial on the bench but sit Rachford next to him.I am sick of him trying to run through brick walls and then giving the sulky face which he appears to have caught from his fellow centre forward. Why is it always Greenwood he hooks off, tonight he was the better of a bad bunch up front but cowardly Ole leaves the senior players on as usual.

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Well, we won, so I'll take that.

Lindelof MOM for me, Bissaka also good.
Martial still struggling to make a difference, but the quality is there. Hope he finds his form.
Rashford, as usual a difference maker, even when not having a good game.
McT is quality, though many still can't see it or refuse to acknowledge it.
Henderson wasn't tested much, but was confident. Hope he gets a good run of games to prove himself.

DVB, not terrible, but I'm honestly not seeing it. I don't know what he's supposed to bring to the team.

sparx99

Martial worked a bit but that was blunt. Overall happy as from when Cavani came on. We looked a team. The less said about the match before that the better. McT can sure can find the net. All those doubting that sub from Ole got their answer. Fred doing his actual job perfectly, not trying to be a Bruno-Pogba hybrid.

On to the next round.

Also is vdb going to make it? I know how long it took Fred to get going but surely there has to be flashes by now? We played the most tedious one paced sideways passing football with him on, albeit too high up.
I was thinking about Van De Beek and how his game seems like a mirror opposite of Bruno’s. Where Bruno is trying to constantly probe with his passing (almost to a fault)VdB is neat and tidy and perhaps not doing enough. Bruno wants to do all his work with the ball whereas VdB seems to be best with his off the ball movement.

I wonder if when Donny comes in the players are still making runs for Bruno and expecting his early passes. It’s almost like VdB is suited to a Ajax/Barca/City side and not the direct football we play.

Polar

Ok, that was bad, really really bad!
Then West Ham was really really really really bad.

Have seen us much worse. It was an average game, nothing more nothing less.

We had good control, but our possession play was to safe and way to slowe. We sometimes need more risky passes and more play on the first moves. Right now the man with the ball hesitate a lot and his teammates are waiting to much.

Gordon S

Really boring game. Still an absolute blast if you compare to our darkest days under LvG.

Martial and Rashford hugely disappointing. Surprised they can have so many poor decisions over 90 mins. Donny needs more time to adapt clearly, just a passenger atm.
Scott is turning into prime Fletcher this season. Should be first choice cm from here on in imo.
How a professional player like Fred can be so poor at shooting is just beyond my ability to comprehend.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
Then West Ham was really really really really bad.

Have seen us much worse. It was an average game, nothing more nothing less.

We had good control, but our possession play was to safe and way to slowe. We sometimes need more risky passes and more play on the first moves. Right now the man with the ball hesitate a lot and his teammates are waiting to much.
I don't care about west ham, I care about our performance.

The 1st half was average, the 2nd was woeful. Apart from Rashfords chance we barely mustered any sort of threat in attack.

It's not just me saying it, look at all the posts in this thread saying the game was dull. Even the BBC pundits thought this game was dull.

Last edited:

Devil may care

Job done, we had some good moves but the final ball wasn't there tonight, thankfully we produced the games one moment of quality with Rashford's cushioned lay-off McTominay's excellent strike.

manuchamp88

Thank god that's over.
Rashford got the assist but he was our worst player by far. Disappointed he wasn't hooked instead of Greenwood.
McTominay with 7 goals this season, that's a good effort.
Rashford's decision-making is unbelievably frustrating but at least he's scoring a few goals. But worse than Martial? A "striker" who yet again proved that he gets far too many minutes just for him to constantly run into more walls than a Trump wet dream? A "striker" who somehow avoids being subbed despite shooting more scowls than net-rippling balls? Perhaps Ole keeps getting threatening phone calls about 'playing "the French Pele" or else' from the Glazers while they're off supporting a team who wins trophies.

DavidDeSchmikes

One of those "job done" games. West Ham didn't create much, Fabianski made two good saves, Henderson wasn't really tested, but good to see him coming off his line when needed. Martial's form is concerning, could be a confidence issue or something. Our final third play in the second half was very frustrating, too many off passes and decision making was erratic to say the least.
Rashford did set up the goal, but at times it was like he was trying to run through players.

pascell

Genuinely looked excellent most of last season. What has happened to him this year? He’s gotta be sold in the summer if this keeps up.
The Cavani signing has put his nose out of joint. That sums up his attitude for me, the fact a 34 year old striker is showing more desire and determination to make an impact in games in comparison to what Martial serves up is startling.

I'd seriously move him on in summer and buy a RW, let Greenwood rotate with Cavani.

VivaRonaldo85

Forgettable two hours but all that matters in cup competitions is getting through to the next round so mission accomplished. Worryingly none of the second string making much of a claim to get into the main XI still.

stevoc

Usual anti-football from a Moyes team, i'd feel sorry for their fans having to endure that shite every week if it wasn't West Ham.

They were playing for 0-0 from the first minute, fecking pathetic.

Giggsy13

Absolutely dire but job done. Knowing our luck we’ll be drawn away at Stamford Bridge or the Ethiad.

Woodzy

Didn’t think it was that bad tbh. Most annoying part for me is how we gifted them a golden opportunity yet again at the end of normal time.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 21% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham