FA W FA Cup 5th Round

Manchester United 1:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 09 February 2021

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
In the last minute of extra time, a goal down and on the brink of being knocked out of the cup West Ham had 5 men behind the ball. How the fuq did we ever pick Moyes as our manager?

croadyman

The most important thing was getting through to the next round, however tonight certainly showed that we have zero creativity without Bruno & Pogba

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Some joker tried to convince me a United game took place tonight...yet I'm struggling to find any evidence that any football happened

Red Stone

Even seven years after getting the sack, Moyes finds a way to make a United game a shite, boring watch.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Moyes' West Ham showed no ambition whatsoever. Why play a cup game as if you're trying to claw a point?

Pathetic.

Wheato

Horrid game. They dug in and just defended for their lives from the first minute. It is very hard to break a team down when they do that. No point in pumping balls into the box when they have 8 players in the box to defend it. Can't go through them, can't go around them. I would say one thing we did okay, we kept bloody trying. I don't think we can learn anything from tonight. If the opposition refuse to come out of their own penalty area, then the game is going to be a stinker. And it was.

FCAES_7

Westham is a good team, they are in the top 6. They defended the whole time it's not easy to break such teams especially when our players rarely shoot from far. VDB is a smart player unfortunately none of the other players where fast in making the pass when he runs into space, and he is not a Bruno replacement. Good game, on to the next round, hope we get a good draw this time.

RedIan

No wonder JESSE shines in that West Ham team. Worst bunch we have played for a while.

Red00012

I don't care about west ham, I care about our performance.

The 1st half was average, the 2nd was woeful. Apart from Rashfords chance we barely mustered any sort of threat in attack.

It's not just me saying it, look at all the posts in this thread saying the game was dull. Even the BBC pundits thought this game was dull.
Ole alluded to it after , the result Saturday took a lot out of them.
its job done at the end of the day, roll on WBA

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
Hmmm maybe, but I also noticed how week he was (physically) inside our box a couple of times.
He's not very strong, that's true, but tonight he was neat, almost scored and didn't make costly mistakes (although there was that one time he and Maguire were caught out of position in a counter and Telles brilliantly bailed them out)

Red00012

In the last minute of extra time, a goal down and on the brink of being knocked out of the cup West Ham had 5 men behind the ball. How the fuq did we ever pick Moyes as our manager?
“ I think we did well to come away with a 1-0 defeat, we aspire to do what Sheffield Utd did here”

Red00012

He's not very strong, that's true, but tonight he was neat, almost scored and didn't make costly mistakes (although there was that one time he and Maguire were caught out of position in a counter and Telles brilliantly bailed them out)
Almost scored is a bit generous , it took a huge deflection.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Basically, we relied on a moment of brilliance.
Great pass from Rashford, while Scott McT happened to run onto a ball and struck it without any backlift or an extra touch, which left the GK no time to react.
Ole had no tactic to break WHU down, at all.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Moyes' West Ham showed no ambition whatsoever. Why play a cup game as if you're trying to claw a point?

Pathetic.
Well, it was David Moyes. This is the man who, when appointed to manage MUFC, had never beaten a top 4 side in multiple attempts, over the course of many years in the EPL.
Moyes is an incredibly negative manager so it didn't come as any surprise.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Matic is too slow to play at this level, even as some kind of stand in. You basically only pick him if you either want to lose or at best don't care if you do....he's started what, 19 games for us this season? I don't know what Ole is/isn't seeing here? He's not just off the pace he's a good 5-6 yards off it at times. Sometimes he just passes the ball to no one and hopes one of our players reacts first. I wouldn't mind (well I would because how is this acceptable?) but he does it after taking about 7 touches and then the pass isn't even forwards. It's usually sideways out to the wing. The drop off in performance between him and McTominay for example is an absolute chasm. It's such a big drop that the whole team noticably drops down with it.

Fred was also awful tonight. I'm not sure I can remember him playing well when he's been partnerred with anyone other than McTominay? When he's with Mctominay he seems to either carry the ball or keep the passes quick and simple. Tonight he's trying to ping 40 yard through balls everywhere and sit deep all the time, and he just isn't that good at it.

I mean it was an awful game, but I think this was the crux of the problem. VDB struggled as well but he did keep making very good runs and the passes into him were either really poor or just didn't happen.

No idea why Greenwood came off instead of Rashford or Martial. He was the only one of the three doing anything useful, and it's not like the other two got any better after he went off. At one point Fernandes put a goal on a plate for Rashford and the ball just flew harmlessly off the pitch because for some reason Rashford didn't even bother to look. Ole needs to stop shifting players around just to keep them on the pitch when they are having absolute shockers. Cavani for Rashford or Martial and Greenwood can stay where he is and you don't suddenly have two poorly performing forwards in positions they can't play in. Why over complicate things when there is absolutely no benefit to it?

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Genuinely don't get West Ham's strategy there. Our defence is kinda horrible, we have our sub keeper in, a retiree and the one Brazilian that can't pass a ball in midfield, and Moyes decides to go with a 5-4------------1 formation which mustered a stonking 0 shots on target.

We obviously struggled to break them down, but who wouldn't when the back 5 didn't leave their own third?

Teja

ITT everyone in the team is useless despite us winning. Give it a rest.

The only valid call out is lack of creativity if both Bruno and Pogba are absent at the same time.

alexthelion

Well, that was painful but what can you expect when west Ham always had 8 or 9 in defence?

We really only looked somewhat dangerous when Cavani came on. Shows we really need a good no. 9 to lead our front line, our current forwards just don't move and so they make the defence's job much easier.

MrBest

Everyone except Telles was awful, even Ole. No creativity, weird subs changing both full backs, wasted energy playing into extra time when we should of wrapped it up earlier against a really poor West Ham side. DVB tried but is not match fit and he is not a number 10. Good result but same issues persist. I feel the bubble is going to burst soon, hopefully we keep edging forward. This is the weirdest team in a while, great talents on paper, average performances most the time but we are grinding results.

moodyred

Our starting 11 has issues breaking down teams who sits deep. The subs worked.

Shiva87

How are we top scorers? I literally have no idea. It’s so confusing! Our strikers aren’t scoring, our defenders don’t really score. Bruno has about 12 but after that whose getting them?
Rashford, Scott, Cavani and Pogba.

norm87cro

We scored 12 in the last two games and West Ham parked the bus despite that people are complaining? And McTominay looks on his way of reaching double digits in all competitions despite his playing time, DM position and his supposed limitations according to a lot of the CAF

Fred or Telles was MOTM but BBC give it to Maguire so they have someone to talk to at full time.
It was a game where they should have forgotten about the MOTM. You could see it meant nothing to Maguire. Poor all round. But the aim was to get to the next round. So job done.

ash_86

Job done. i thought we were goodi n the first half, showed attacking instinct and should've created little more for all the possession we had. Second half i thought we became lethargic until Bruno ame in and then we played with urgency. We should really convert chances better. Rashford had a very good chance and hit it straight at the keeper and so did marital in the dying seconds. West ham are a tough side to break down especially when they are determined to park the bus. Move on and hope for a easier draw.

Polar

I don't care about west ham, I care about our performance.

The 1st half was average, the 2nd was woeful. Apart from Rashfords chance we barely mustered any sort of threat in attack.

It's not just me saying it, look at all the posts in this thread saying the game was dull. Even the BBC pundits thought this game was dull.
Boring and bad isn’t necessarily the same. I agree it was a boring match because our offensive play was very slow and safe most of the time: very boring possession play.

But I don’t think it was a really really bad performance considering we dominated the match and had full control. That’s why I mean it was a very average (or maybe a bit below) performance. We expect more.

It’s a really really bad performance when we get outplayed, do many mistakes and loose.

Verbalkint

I don't know how to say this but McTominay has this habit or ability to score from distance, cleanly. He'll go right through the opposition defense with a precise finish when you don't really expect it. Am so happy for the lad, he deserves a lot of praise for his recent goal scoring contributions.

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 234 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 32% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 21% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham