PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 14 March 2021

Devil may care

Not a great performance but a big 3 points. Shaw, Maglof and Mason all played well and we were the better team overall, West Ham never really troubled Henderson and we had the counter attack opportunities to finish the game off but didn't convert them.

eire-red

It's great to be able to see games out, but concerning how often we have to do it. As seen against Everton, it can come back to bite you.

Shaw and Maguire very good, Greenwood was unlucky not to score. You feel he'll really shake that wayward finishing off with a couple of goals, just needs that confidence back.

McTominay and Fred way too limited in midfield, its painful to watch at times. I know we haven't many options, but not having them playing together should be a priority in terms of recruitment.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
We have so much police on the Caf. Smile police, touchline police, Netflix police, morale police, coaching police, Amad police, ...

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I was afraid he’d make a sub and feck everything up. Thankfully he was afraid too. Coward Ole done good tonight.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Few players out, defensive minded opponent, not at our best, clear that a few players running on fumes ... 3 points.

Spurs, Everton and West Ham lose, Chelski draw. 9 points from 5th, 6 from 4th (qualifying round).

Not a game I'll rewatch or remember but plenty of positives.

International break might be a positive for once. Some players might get a break.

Jonno

A good week for our top 4 security. Ole is turning us into a top 4 constant rather than a yo-yo top 6 club, brick by brick.

Alfie092

Is it safe to say with that win it basically secures us top 4 unless there is a massive collapse?

With West Ham, Chelsea, Spurs and Everton all dropping points this week and with only 9 games left to play I’m not worried one bit about dropping out of the top 4. We had a bit of a blip but the wins against Man City and West Ham have probably allowed us to focus on both the Europa League and FA Cup now.

Only doubt for me would be the list of injuries. If we get some of our key players back asap then only would I believe we would have a chance of picking up some silverware. Or else I think it would be like last season where we just secure top 4 without any trophies to show for it...

JanK

Supports
Napoli
Hate these 1:0 wins because the feeling of conceding looms over the team during last 15 mins. Just waiting to happen.

I am happy for Henderson, because clean sheets and giving some kind of a certainty and confidence boost for back 4 is so vital. I like this guy, he deserves a chance for top1 spot and currently I prefer him over Dave.

Mason used to be clinical, but now things are just not going in his way. This 1vs1 post hit should have been a placed shot in the corner, not a blast. The purpose is to score, not to break the net. But he is young and time will teach him, if he wants to learn.

But Ole made any subs. Like why? We have long season behind and still to play, like please, think 3 steps ahead and don't test our luck on injuries and fatigue. Why? Telles and Diallo should have had their minutes and given rest for Rashford and Bruno.

AndyMUFC

Job done, Maguire and Shaw in particular were very good. Would be nice if we could kill off a few more games next season.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Massive win that makes it hard to see how we don’t finish top 4. We should have won more comfortably. Dan James passing behind Bruno on the 4 on 2 perfectly sums up how incredibly wasteful we are at times. We saw it out well in the end. It’s exceptionally difficult to create chances against teams who are as well organised as West Ham were with zero intention of attacking - masters of patterns City struggled against them too.

I remember periods over the last few years when sides came to Old Trafford thinking they could take us on because we were there for the taking. That doesn’t happen anymore. Everyone shuts up shop against us again which tells you the progress we’ve actually made.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Solid win. Pity though Greenwood did not score. So close.

Anyone else frustrated by us putting in good crosses and no one making runs? So annoying. With City, they all burst into the box and tap it in. We dont seem to make those runs at all.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Bizarre. :lol:

They were lucky to be only 1 nil down.

Decent win against bus parking twats. Maguire and Shaw immense.
Good to see Greenwood having a good game. Hopefully the ball starts going in for him soon.
Yeah, they were hopeless and saved by the post twice. Bit surprised that they didn't try taking the game to us, they nearly took points off City doing that, against us they basically looked beat from minute 1.

Redfrog

I'll take a win. Not fun to watch but a win at least doesn't depress my mood.
It wasn't fun, but what do you expect with that ultra defensive West Ham ?
It wasn't boring at all. There was intensity, good chances and we were in control for most of the game.
We played a very solid team and should have scored more.
I enjoyed it, even if it is not like playing against Leeds.

snk123

Thanks to Moyes - they wasted 50 odd minutes before trying to attack us.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Superb performance. We knew West Ham would come and be very defensive. We got an own goal, but created more than enough to win it ourselves. That’s the sort of performance that does grind out league titles and what City have done all season.

That doesn’t guarantee top four, but I’d be very surprised if United didn’t get it from here.
Agreed, though from some of the comments in here and the match-day thread, you'd swear we were watching a different match.

90 + 5min

Control through whole game. Job well done. Should have scored more.

Maguire and Shaw brilliant.

Jimmyheals

Maguire was MoM, and Shaw was brilliant. But where is the love for Fred? He controlled the midfield, and we ran everything through him.

Gator Nate

We were better than 1-0. I'll take the three points, thank you very much.

Maguire was a beast today. He was determined to keep the sheet clean all by himself. That said, Henderson seems to give the back line a lot more confidence to play the ball around. Never felt truly threatened.

Best defensive performance by the attacking line all season. Greenwood, James, Rashford... they all put in a shift both ways.

I don't get the low rating for James today, thought he was in the better half on the pitch. His hold up play has really improved, as has his decision making.

Those complaining about the lack of a sub - in that situation, who are you going to put on?

Moyes played for a 0-0 draw until we scored. We missed a few chances. And they are the #5 team, and played like it. They're not a bad squad.

Hoping the best for Thursday.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Super important win, putting pressure on Leicester and extending gap against top 4 contenders.

HarryRedCrumbs

I expected more from West Ham and Moyes. We really should have scored at least two goals in that game...just not clinical enough. Shaw was great as always...gave my MOTM to Maguire for being solid, but I wish I could have given it to Greenwood. He wasn’t looking too bad tonight, but he’s slipped since last season. I’m hoping to see him go on a ‘Phil Foden’ style meteoric rise sometime soon...

Kag

Considering we have an injury crisis that is actually worse than Liverpool’s at any point this season I’ll take that win.

Pogba, Cavani, Martial, Mata, Van de Beek and a fully fit Rashford are all missing from this first team as it stands. Just take the win and move on.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Its eye opening how rubbish we are.

If there was ever a clip that encapsulated this team its the player on the ball seeing a runner and chickening out of playing the pass. Squad has a streak of yellow running right through it. They showed it when they got stage fright after going top. They show it pretty much every time they're expected to win. No team in the league better at playing underdogs. Tag them as favourites and they shrink.

Hard to see how we'll ever achieve anything with so many players who are a) average and b) bottlers.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
Not a great performance but a big 3 points. Shaw, Maglof and Mason all played well and we were the better team overall, West Ham never really troubled Henderson and we had the counter attack opportunities to finish the game off but didn't convert them.
Mason, really?

I thought he showed his inexperience at times tonight with poor positioning, movement, etc.

Unlucky when he hit the post though - was a cracking strike.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 291 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 19% Man Utd 1:1 West Ham