LC L League Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 0:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 September 2021

United Hobbit

Slow start number 50 now or more?

Dear God did he really say that :rolleyes:

Yes we keep starting slowly, is it not his job to ascertain the reasons for that and address it? Anyone can see we start slowly, we are not manager of Manchester United, paid millions to address these sorts of things. Time and time again it happens, so is clearly a problem, so needs to be fixed. He or his coaching staff are there to do that!

I'd like to know what he says before games....

Good to know though we were plucky and "gave it a go"

Bet DVB, who I thought had a decent game, is straight back on the bench for the next few games

Surely he should have wanted to win a cup, given he hasn't done so yet. Yes it's "only" the league Cup but given he's yet to win one, Surely aim to use it as a spring board towards other cups?

We are the only "big" club to have gone out

Last edited:

manichester

The trend of starting slowly has been going on for far to long and we start to play after conceding a goal. The most obvious flaw that has still not been resolved. No threat from corners still unresolved, poor passing and lapses in concentration and giving opponents far too much space to operate in.

Barnslig

Didn't do enough in the final third to win it. Decent performance overall but doesn't count if you don't take your chances/create better scoring opportunities. Only a third of 27 shots on target sums it up.
Was it not 3 on target? That's 1/10th of our shots almost.

CR1

Man Utd almost completely dominated this game.

Ole was spot on with the team selection, he finally did what I and many others have been calling for ever since he took over: rotate more.

Result is fully on the players - they had 25 shots on goal but lacked composure in the final third.

Rustiness probably also played a role.

Performances by Dalot, Sancho and especially Donny were the main positives.

Donny and Matic played wel together and pretty much controlled the midfield I thought.

Not winning the League Cup is not the main issue here - missing out on fixtures where the second string could get more gametime is.

Oh and no quadruple.

Still the FA Cup and another Treble to play for though.

Martial played well in the first half but was invisible and quite bad second half.

Like I've been saying I don't see how he's supposed to get gametime now.

Been thinking he and James (whose departure to Leeds I was against but understood) could be replaced in the squad by Elanga.

Longshanks

My point is you say none of the big teams care about it which is just factually wrong.
I don't think it is. If any of the big clubs cared about it why do they also play second strings? Its just citys second string is better than everyone else's.

AndyMUFC

I’m not gonna go crazy over going out of the League Cup but it does add to the pressure of needing a trophy.

We had most of the ball and got in enough positions but we’re just not creative enough without Bruno on for most of the game, and the less said about Martial the better.

IhabX7

What has that got to do with the price of bread?
Does Winning league Cup give them a points towards the league title?
No I’m just saying they’re not just doing this or the other. It’s possible to both. And it reflects on a good team when both are won.

Barnslig

The record aside, the more concerning is just how better coached West ham seem to be. Moyes has definitely improved their football and team far better than ole has at utd.

You can actual see patterns of play and a style to west hams team. I really don't know what utd are doing in training and when we are going to see improvements in players and a system on the pitch.

The "we are a poorly coached" thread is absolute right; utd are one of the worst top sides in terms of coaching in Europe. Wonder who the first player is going to be to call this out in media? When you think of the teams and systems the likes of varane, Sancho, Ronaldo and cavani have played for, surely they must be concerned at what they are seeing on the training pitch and the prep for matches!

I really hoped that when we signed these big names that demands of better coaching and tactical play may have translated into the pitch by now. Yet to see any changes so far this season though.
So why didn't we see any of that with Moyes at United? He looked utterly out of depth and the football was horrible.

always_hoping

Just lost to a West Ham B team managed by Moyes after looking pretty average in every game this season. Hardly surprising. Don't think anyone cared about the league cup but our performances are worrying.
Average in every game? Tonights problems was the wayward shooting and shot selection but I won't be loosing any sleep in a contest between two 2nd string sides in a league cup tie.

Not at all surprised though by the interest in this loss as any loss seems to bring a bigger interest on here.

captain666

Always disappointing to get knocked out of any Cup competition but losing at home and failing to even score just compounds the disappointment.Martial should never steal another first team minute again.

Bertie Wooster

No I’m just saying they’re not just doing this or the other. It’s possible to both. And it reflects on a good team when both are won.
You're making a good point.

The idea that it's either / or for winning trophies, so we're better out of the 'lesser cups' to focus on just the League and CL, is wrong. Success breeds success. If we start winning competitions like the League Cup, FA Cup, Europa League then it increases, not decreases, our chances of winning the League or CL as it adds belief and a winning mentality to the squad and management. Whereas trophyless season after trophyless season does not.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Surprised at the indifference to going out on here.
To me I think that you had a realistic chance to win a domestic cup but that just leaves the FAC.
Think PL and CL are beyond you this season.

Red Star One

So why didn't we see any of that with Moyes at United? He looked utterly out of depth and the football was horrible.
Surely Moyes has learned a lot since his United days. He came completely unprepared for that job and the magnitude of a challenge was just way too much for him. West Ham is a much different structure, he surely has more respect and say than in his United days and he had a decade to study.

Longshanks

Of course it is possible to do both, but its the league that matters. The league Cup is an irrelevant bonus and has been for year's.

Barnslig

Surely Moyes has learned a lot since his United days. He came completely unprepared for that job and the magnitude of a challenge was just way too much for him. West Ham is a much different structure, he surely has more respect and say than in his United days and he had a decade to study.
But why does every team seem to change in a matter of days almost regardless of what coach they get in, while no matter who we get, it's always a rollercoaster.

Von Mistelroum

Only just finished watching this recorded. As soon as it was announced that Martial was our striker I knew we wouldn’t score.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
I went. We were alright, did enough for a draw.

By the time I'd had a pint post match I had semi forgot the result.

Cheers for listening.

buckooo1978

the last week sums us up well in many ways

rarely convincing in the way top sides are, flashes of excellence but overall a flaky side

disappointing night - wish Elanga had started - he looked good when he came on

Martial, Mata, Lingard didn't take their chance and Sancho/DVB/Matic were just OK. How poor was Telles for the goal.

Greenwood looked great, Bruno very wasteful

IhabX7

Average in every game? Tonights problems was the wayward shooting and shot selection but I won't be loosing any sleep in a contest between two 2nd string sides in a league cup tie.

Not at all surprised though by the interest in this loss as any loss seems to bring a bigger interest on here.
I generally agree with the last sentence. But you have to recognize that two losses this early on isn’t good for morale. And it wasn’t wayward shooting per se. had two or three real chances were we could have scored.

Bertie Wooster

But they also have 2 full PL squads?
We've got plenty of depth as well. The problem tonight wasn't the calibre of players we brought in on an individual basis, we just brought in too many 'rusty' players short of match sharpness and left ourselves with very few scorers on the pitch.

I've no idea why Greenwood didn't start given his form - and given he didn't feature in the CL game last week, and had a free international break recently, so could easily have been fresh enough to do 60 minutes tonight and would have offered a more likely goal threat in the absence of Ronaldo and Cavani.

And the same with AWB. He has free international weeks, and won't be playing in the next CL game - he could easily have started instead of throwing a rusty Telles into the already weakened defence.

Red Star One

But why does every team seem to change in a matter of days almost regardless of what coach they get in, while no matter who we get, it's always a rollercoaster.
You know it’s not so simple that every team sees an instant impact and improvement. We’ve only made poor managerial choices after Sir Alex. All were wrong, most of them also badly timed. The whole transition was a catastrophe with Gill leaving at the same time. Our structure had no idea how to operate with anyone else in charge than Sir Alex, I’m sure the club was aware it’s not going to be easy but it proved to be even more difficult, we didn’t get too lucky on top of our mistakes and here you have it.

Barnslig

You know it’s not so simple that every team sees an instant impact and improvement. We’ve only made poor managerial choices after Sir Alex. All were wrong, most of them also badly timed. The whole transition was a catastrophe with Gill leaving at the same time. Our structure had no idea how to operate with anyone else in charge than Sir Alex, I’m sure the club was aware it’s not going to be easy but it proved to be even more difficult, we didn’t get too lucky on top of our mistakes and here you have it.
I know it's not that simple, but you must admit we almost seem cursed at this point? No manager can seem to do any rights at United, it's all doom and gloom, shit here, shit there and PE teachers everywhere.

Bertie Wooster

Surprised at the indifference to going out on here.
To me I think that you had a realistic chance to win a domestic cup but that just leaves the FAC.
Think PL and CL are beyond you this season.
I agree.

Although it bemuses me rather than surprises me. It's in keeping with plenty of fans attitudes towards the domestic Cup, but I don't agree with it. And in the context of our season, the priority should be winning a trophy - any of the ones that we're competing in - not just solely focusing on the two toughest and least likely ones.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
I’m going to take the positives from this.

• We controlled the game for the most part.
  • Donny showed his passing range. And ability to move the ball forward and quickly into the forwards. Doesn’t hold it long. One touch and he’s feeding it forward.
  • Dalot's crossing in the first half showed what we have been missing from right back.
  • Sancho got more minutes and showed glimpses of what he can do. He will find his stride, the PL is a step up.
  • Matic and DVB controlled the game.
  • Mata can still do it.
  • I think we can finally all agree, with some authority, that Martial will not be playing any major part in this squad this season. Especially in the number 9 role.
This thread, and the match day thread have been clueless. This post stands out as being measured and by someone interested in the game and the club. Matic was my MOTM, closely followed by Donny. Lingard and Mata were good, as was Dalot. Sancho needs a goal now, after a few good touches. I like Martial, I was willing him to score, and I know he’s struggling a bit. Anyway, onwards and upwards.

Denis79

Saw som good performances, Martial is done though. I can't see him coming back from this slump.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
We were literally about to sack him and bring in Pochettino last November before he went on an incredible run and turned things around. I'd argue that he's at his best when under pressure.
Time will tell, but I'm not convinced about an under-pressure Ole otherwise the momentum would have continued from last season because the pressure for silverware never went away. A top manager would be getting big results with this squad.

Banana Republic

……. Martial is done though. I can't see him coming back from this slump.
Agreed.
It’s hard to see him making any sort of comeback now, but with Ole……?
Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Martial still being a regular on the subs bench and getting game time.
We’ve seen enough of Ole metaphorically bashing his head against the wall, over and over, with players who are well out of form, or just not good enough.

hobbers

Start badly - check
Concede early - check
No top quality on the pitch to drag us back into the game - check
Lose - check

I do take some joy in thinking this is less games we'll have to watch Martial trundle around looking bored in.

dinostar77

What we wont know is how much tactical preparation was done before this game. Both Mourinho and LVG used to use the players outside of the chosen XI for the game plus any reserves needed to make up the numbers. They would get that team to play like the opposition we would be facing. Therefore the chosen XI for the actual game got some minutes albeit a practice match playing together and against the tactics they would face.

I don't know if Ole and his staff do this now.

Also once again Ole comes up short where the top managers prosper. In game tactical changes to turn the match around. It's something Ole cant do. If he cant do it then surely his staff must be advising him on what they are seeing and needs changing.

I like Ole and the direction hes managed to take the club in, however he's at the limits of his ability and I dont think we will win major trophies because of him.

nainaisson

Leicester passed on Telles because he can't defend. I wish our scouts were as good as theirs.

Also, Van de Beek is terrible. It's funny that he's so many people's choice for MOTM. His mistake that led to their goal was so amateurish for a central midfielder, I'd play him as No.10 or not at all from now on.

Banana Republic

Did anyone notice that Moyes was constantly on the touchline, issuing orders to his players, encouraging and coaching them throughout most of the game.

Contrast that with the screen shots of Ole just looking on, maybe a bit bewildered, or of him conferring with Mike Phelan, as if they couldn’t figure out what to do next.

RC89

Good game from west ham...

Have a feeling Ole is going the klopp way?

Maybe wants to concentrate on the major trophies.
Considering he's failed to secure any silverware in his time here, he should be concentrating on winning anything he can.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 237 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 24% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham