LC L League Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 0:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 September 2021

United in sin

Moss not giving us a pen for reasons unknown to man, Dalot missing a chance at hitting it in the net, Greenwood getting close, Mata hitting the crossbar, Bruno scoring instead of getting blocked, Sancho puttig it top bins instead of passing to Mata.

The idea with this "what if" is that its not real. Hitting a post is as real in the what-if as any other imaginary otucome from a situation. We couldn't have "lost 4-0 on another night" becuase this night can never happen again, and every alternative outcome is fiction.
And you think those moments you mentioned were more clear cut opportunities to score than the sitters West Ham missed by absolutely cutting us open? Dalot's shot was speculative! They created real chances and missed them, we never looked like scoring

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Wow
This squad and first eleven should be competing for a trophy end of.
What a missed opportunity if we manage to just get out of the CL group and achieve more points in the prem league than last year.
I agree but those are the expectations for most of the ole inners. Achieve them and they will feel he deserves another year.

OLLY ORANGE

What this game proves is we have ALOT of fringe players who have been around for years that need to be shifted. Look at who Liverpool started yesterday against Premier League opposition. Half of them are kids, who know how to play Klopp’s system. We simply don’t have this at United.

Why was Mata given a new contract when we have Bruno, Pogba, VDB and Lingard that can play CAM? Matic should have gone a long time ago. Martial has put in these types of performances since Mourinho. I still don’t understand why Lingard is back and Moyes said this week that Ole was the reason he was kept. I get the feeling Ole has too much sympathy for players with long terms injuries because of his own history in that situation.

Why not give Elanga a chance in his actual position rather than shoving him on at LWB when we need a goal. After all Ole’s smile at the end of the game suggests it’s a trophy he doesn’t give a shit about. Maybe use this ‘pointless’ trophy to give players a chance who have a future with this club?

And why does Ole suddenly decide to play two attacking fullbacks who put crosses in the box and then start Martial as the CF? He’s the only striker who doesn’t like getting in the box. Ole is an incredibly frustrating manager and I’m getting fed up our attacking bolstering squad not being used correctly. Still playing counter attacking, defensive and above all garbage football.
Totally agree. Bang on the money

eldoherz

Genuinely don't understand how a second string eleven like that looked like they've played every single minute and are fecked.

As for playing well, we looked utterly wank any time it wasn't a move made entirely possible on the back of a single player.

Bertie Wooster

Why is it a blessing in disguise? For me, this was one of the realistic chances of winning a trophy and when you have gone a few years without winning anything, any trophy is a start.
Completely agree.

I'm seriously pissed off with fans attitude that no cups matter except the CL.

Maybe when you're winning trophies all the time you can get arrogant and complacent about some and prioritise others. When you're not winning any trophies then you should be damn well trying to win one. Whichever it is. That should be the priority. Win a trophy.

This is probably our most realistic chance, along with the FA Cup. Unless we drop into the Europa League again. I'd be delighted with any of those at this stage.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
And you think those moments you mentioned were more clear cut opportunities to score than the sitters West Ham missed by absolutely cutting us open? Dalot's shot was speculative! They created real chances and missed them, we never looked like scoring
Listen, you can sit there and you can be pissy, negative and complain and feel entitled to everything just because you happened to pick a team at some point in your life to root for.

You do you.

cyberman

Thought Sancho played well despite having a wheelbarrow as a number 9 to play off of.

roonaldo78

I care about the Premier League, losing here means that the first teamers play less football.

The downside is that the fringe players will play less, but hopefully we avoid Premier League teams immediately in the FA cup.
That is flawed logic, majority of first teamers did not play today. If we go by your logic, why not also bin the FA cup and focus on the Premier League?

Dazzmondo

What this game proves is we have ALOT of fringe players who have been around for years that need to be shifted. Look at who Liverpool started yesterday against Premier League opposition. Half of them are kids, who know how to play Klopp’s system. We simply don’t have this at United.

Why was Mata given a new contract when we have Bruno, Pogba, VDB and Lingard that can play CAM? Matic should have gone a long time ago. Martial has put in these types of performances since Mourinho. I still don’t understand why Lingard is back and Moyes said this week that Ole was the reason he was kept. I get the feeling Ole has too much sympathy for players with long terms injuries because of his own history in that situation.

Why not give Elanga a chance in his actual position rather than shoving him on at LWB when we need a goal. After all Ole’s smile at the end of the game suggests it’s a trophy he doesn’t give a shit about. Maybe use this ‘pointless’ trophy to give players a chance who have a future with this club?

And why does Ole suddenly decide to play two attacking fullbacks who put crosses in the box and then start Martial as the CF? He’s the only striker who doesn’t like getting in the box. Ole is an incredibly frustrating manager and I’m getting fed up our attack bolstering squad not being used correctly. Still playing counter attacking, defensive and above all garbage football.
Personally think the 3 players you mentioned were our best players today. I'd be more concerned that our younger so-called squad players like Telles, Dalot, Bailly, Martial and Sancho just performed worse than 2 players in the twilight of their careers and a player we wanted to sell last season.

United in sin

You're picking situations where we chucked everybody forward chasing the game,Christ,of course they were going to have chances.
Does it matter at what stage of the game those chances were created? They weren't the only chances they created either, just the most obvious. In the first half after they scored they looked most likely to get a second than us a first. We didn't wake up til late in the second when we presented them those clear cut chances. Compare our chances to theirs overall. We didn't hurt them one bit

HailtotheKing

Not really. The league cup would have helped keep a happier camp with players getting games. Now we have half a squad who won't really play until after Christmas and thus won't be fit when called upon.
Exactly. We now have a squad where we can play an entire second team and still put out a good side that could challenge most teams. This is a huge loss. I’m most upset for DVB to be honest. Lad can’t buy a break.

United in sin

Listen, you can sit there and you can be pissy, negative and complain and feel entitled to everything just because you happened to pick a team at some point in your life to root for.

You do you.
We can agree to disagree yes.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
That is flawed logic, majority of first teamers did not play today. If we go by your logic, why not also bin the FA cup and focus on the Premier League?
We're not playing the 2nd string team if we reach a quarter final of a cup and play Man City or any of the big teams, that's the point I'm making. Sorry, I should have made it clear and obvious.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
VDB did well. I don't see why we can't use him in the league. Dalot did well too. He's got a chance at getting in the team, especially in games where we have a lot of the ball because watching AWB trying to do anything on the ball is becoming torturous.

Blood Mage

Ole should have fielded a stronger team. He needs a cup, any cup, otherwise the pressure keeps mounting on him and I don't think he does well under pressure.
We were literally about to sack him and bring in Pochettino last November before he went on an incredible run and turned things around. I'd argue that he's at his best when under pressure.

Longshanks

I want us to win every single trophy we take part in. Thats how I've always grown up thinking, I don't get people happy that we've gone out of this competition so early and without scoring a single goal.
I don't think anyone is happy about being knocked out. I suspect most people are pretty non-plussed about it, its the league Cup a trophy that non of the big clubs give two hoots about.

siw2007

Didn’t think we deserved to lose, but didn’t think we deserved to win either. We’ve been finally punished for a slow start, we did get to grips with the game and over the course had plenty of the ball and enough chances but didn’t have the edge we needed to put them away.

Matic, DVB were both really good, Henderson had some good saves at the end. Martial was very poor, didn’t give us the edge in front of goal we needed on the night, I believe we would have won if Greenwood started through the middle.

Not the end of the world to go out of this cup. It is a missed opportunity for a trophy but we have bigger fish to fry anyway.

lilcurt

Exactly. We now have a squad where we can play an entire second team and still put out a good side that could challenge most teams. This is a huge loss. I’m most upset for DVB to be honest. Lad can’t buy a break.
Completely agree, he is being blamed for the goal which I don't get. Completely ignoring that Telles gets absolutely skinned.

This is a really poor loss and also I don't blame Ole for this one. It is just another example of him not delivering a trophy that should have been very very winnable.

Godfather

When was the last time we looked really convincing? Can't remember.

Not too fussed about going out of this cup. But our performances this season haven't been all that great.

IhabX7

VDB did well. I don't see why we can't use him in the league. Dalot did well too. He's got a chance at getting in the team, especially in games where we have a lot of the ball because watching AWB trying to do anything on the ball is becoming torturous.
Wan Bissaka is twice the player Dalot is.

OrcaFat

That was a very good United side that lacked belief and the ability to play a threatening way. We have been garbage to watch this season in the main and tonight another reason why we won’t win anything under Ole. The manager has no excuses now other than he doesn’t have a great system
Are you quite sure? It was all the guys who can’t get into the team bar Sancho who isn’t up to speed. They are mostly shit players. Having said that, West Ham played their B team as well. But let’s not pretend our starting 11 was actually good.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't think anyone is happy about being knocked out. I suspect most people are pretty non-plussed about it, its the league Cup a trophy that non of the big clubs give two hoots about.
The best team in the country, and arguably the best over practically the last decade win it pretty much every season for what the last 5 years?

Okey

However this game is analysed, the end result is we lost. That's another attainable trophy gone. And for all that we pushed, West Ham had the better chances. Yes we were open while pushing, but they stayed alive and structured enough to produce those chances. Let's see how long we continue following this script of being 'actually good' but not 'quite good enough'. It will be such a painfully wasted season if we win nothing and then sack Ole. Cos it really would have been a call we could have made so much earlier.

Josep Dowling

Personally think the 3 players you mentioned were our best players today. I'd be more concerned that our younger so-called squad players like Telles, Dalot, Bailly, Martial and Sancho just performed worse than 2 players in the twilight of their careers and a player we wanted to sell last season.
Valid but my gripe is Ole doesn’t have any standardised style. Matic and Mata may have been our best players tonight but they are incredibly slow, that changes the whole style of our team. We don’t need Lingard if we have high hopes for Hannibal as an example. This is how you implement these youngsters into the squad. Or better still allow VdB to get minutes in his actual position as a CAM.

We have an unnecessarily big squad of players. I would accept a loss to West Ham had more youngsters played. When a second string United side can’t beat a second string West Ham side it does make you wonder why do we still have these players?

United in sin

City win it for fun and still challenge on all fronts. They've won it 5 times in the last 6 years

We're all proud of our overall trophy haul (number one in England unless Pool leveled it with the recent CL triumph) but it's not entirely comprised of league titles and European trophies

maximus419

We haven't really played well that season.
It's only results at the moment that are stopping a lot of discontent. As soon as Ronaldo stops scoring this team are in trouble because it's being set up purely for him to score the majority of chances.

This is unsustainable unless we get a coach in or system whereby it doesnt matter too much the personnel, the foundations are laid for the team to perform. At the moment we just rely on inspiration 90% of the the time to create chances. Any organised defence will stop utd scoring, solksjaer will not last beyond Xmas is my bold prediction. The warning signs are there.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell

And why does Ole suddenly decide to play two attacking fullbacks who put crosses in the box and then start Martial as the CF? He’s the only striker who doesn’t like getting in the box. Ole is an incredibly frustrating manager and I’m getting fed up our attack bolstering squad not being used correctly. Still playing counter attacking, defensive and above all garbage football.
Very good post. Agree on practically all of it.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 237 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 24% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham