LC L League Cup 3rd Round

Manchester United 0:1 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Wed, 22 September 2021

lilcurt

Don't really put this on Ole other than I don't think Mata should start any game.

Just not good that it's another competition he won't deliver in. He has to win something this season. We now only have 3 chances.

roonaldo78

Ole being angry for the entire first period and beyond over that Moss pen kick. Love to hear it.

Kinda bummed to lose, but this a blessing in disguise
Why is it a blessing in disguise? For me, this was one of the realistic chances of winning a trophy and when you have gone a few years without winning anything, any trophy is a start.

big rons sovereign

Pathetic performance. That many chances and barely any of them troubled the keeper.

Martial looked like a conference player. One goal in twenty three games? Should of sold him when people were offering big money.

Dalot is the most limited offensive fullback with the world's worst step over.

Sancho looks like he has concrete in his boots and is terrified of dribbling past a player.

Telles, again the world's worst offensive fullback. How he scored the goals he did in Porto is just a reflection on how budget that league must be.
How can both Dalot and Telles be the worst fullback?

Shiva87

With Greenwood as the central striker, we win that game today. He should have moved Sancho to the right and Martial to the left with Mason down the middle.
I was full Martial FC but he has just dipped into oblivion now. Don't see how he comes back honestly. Needs to reinvent himself elsewhere.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Did you miss the gilt edged chances West Ham squandered? Hitting the post, Noble missing a 1v1, Bowen skinning Lindelof for fun and creating chances off the break at will? Maybe it was just me making shit up
Moss not giving us a pen for reasons unknown to man, Dalot missing a chance at hitting it in the net, Greenwood getting close, Mata hitting the crossbar, Bruno scoring instead of getting blocked, Sancho puttig it top bins instead of passing to Mata.

The idea with this "what if" is that its not real. Hitting a post is as real in the what-if as any other imaginary otucome from a situation. We couldn't have "lost 4-0 on another night" becuase this night can never happen again, and every alternative outcome is fiction.

soapythecat

That was a very good United side that lacked belief and the ability to play a threatening way. We have been garbage to watch this season in the main and tonight another reason why we won’t win anything under Ole. The manager has no excuses now other than he doesn’t have a great system

Burkeovic

Martial=Gone
Shanco=Better but still meh
Van de Beek=Still waiting & at fault for goal

lilcurt

Bit more squad rest for the league cup nights now which is good. No point to this cup really; Just adds to fixture congestion. No one would shed a tear at all if the competition was binned.
Not really. The league cup would have helped keep a happier camp with players getting games. Now we have half a squad who won't really play until after Christmas and thus won't be fit when called upon.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Given how many have nailed Ole to the cross pre-season for not winning a trophy yet, I'm surprised many are taking this defeat well (not that I'm complaining!)

Also, our season goes as Shaw goes. If he gets injured or suffers a dip in form, it's safe to say we are fecked.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Yeah am not happy with the way we’re playing this season. There’s no signs of us gelling and that’s worrying. Areola didn’t have to make one big save.
He made a huge one from Mata in the first half and Greenwood in the second

IhabX7

People who think we played well need to watch some other top teams play. That was shit.

Greenwood is our best attacking player behind Ronaldo.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Why is it a blessing in disguise? For me, this was one of the realistic chances of winning a trophy and when you have gone a few years without winning anything, any trophy is a start.
I care about the Premier League, losing here means that the first teamers play less football.

The downside is that the fringe players will play less, but hopefully we avoid Premier League teams immediately in the FA cup.

Judas

Open to offers
I don't get the "blessing in disguise nonsense" we've a bloated squad, and players who desperately need to play more at a good level, now they simply....won't. We also need to win a trophy, one less chance now, and one of the easier chances too.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I don't get the "blessing in disguise nonsense" we've a bloated squad, and players who desperately need to play more at a good level, now they simply....won't. We also need to win a trophy, one less chance now, and one of the easier chances too.
Coping mechanism.

croadyman

Not really. The league cup would have helped keep a happier camp with players getting games. Now we have half a squad who won't really play until after Christmas and thus won't be fit when called upon.
Yeah that's the part which definitely gets lost on some

Joseunited

Did you miss the gilt edged chances West Ham squandered? Hitting the post, Noble missing a 1v1, Bowen skinning Lindelof for fun and creating chances off the break at will? Maybe it was just me making shit up
You're picking situations where we chucked everybody forward chasing the game,Christ,of course they were going to have chances.

Red Star One

Shocked how many are not bothered at all by us again losing to an inferior side. All good I guess, off to the next one so we can write “hope we learn from this”. Can’t blame the team too much for this, we looked toothless even if dominating, but these guys don’t get to play together too much and you could tell the chemistry / well drilled training movements were just not there. Some bad subs and personal decisions by Ole and there we go, we’re out to poor West Ham that wins at OT first time in 15 years. Awful result considering our squad depth, not too bad considering the expectations of majority of fans.

OleTheGreat

I don't care if we are playing in a cup game or a friend because 72,000+ fans have come all the way to watch and support, you give them something to cheer about. It was so moving to watch the crowd buzzing when Greenwood came on and started dribbling into the opponents half. That was a lousy lousy game. Matic, Mata and Martial need to go! I have been very patient with them for a long time but apart from Mata who can be a mentor, the other 2 have to go! VDB was ok but even he got caught up several times. Sancho tried but not influential, just as Lingard. It was all Shambolic and I feel so bad for those like me who are prepared to watch the games at 12:30 AM but instead go to bed feeling awful.

WTF is Ole thinking putting Anthony Elanga at left back. Jesus! Rubbish as always. Every team that plays against us come and make themselves feel great. Ole surely isn't doing enough! I just hope now that City don't win the cup again.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
Considering we lost our first champions league game it pretty much leaves every game up to the Fa cup as must win, and very little time for fringe players to get involved. It’s a shame we literally always draw premier league sides on these cups, otherwise we might’ve scraped through tonight. Wasn’t the best performance. Disjointed as expected, not a lot of spark and a lack of attacking threat until Greenwood made an appearance. Dalot looks ok, VDB wasn’t bad but can also understand why he doesn’t play much. Lindelof was good, as was Hendo. The rest however did not impress.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
People who think we played well need to watch some other top teams play. That was shit.
It's bordering on illness I think. Everything has to be positive now because spoiled fans are too toxic. We're playing great, apparently and just wasn't our day/night/month/year

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's baffling. We basically fielded an excellent 2nd eleven today that is really not needed for the PL.

How are we going to keep all these players happy given our awful record in moving them on?

redshaw

Could say it was a shame we didn't start with a high tempo as they just ran around us for their goal, comical start really, but with most of the match playing at a high tempo we couldn't get a goal anyway.

So many wayward shots and lack of control once in or around the box. bar Greenwood's effort after coming on and a pen shout for Lingard getting pulled down by Noble it was all just a lot of huff and puff for 80 minutes.

Ole probably should've left Lingard on, maybe pushed him up further with Bruno on. He's got goals in the past 6 months or more while the others haven't, he could've got the breakthrough.

We've seen the fringe players disappoint so often whether coming on or starting, they did well to keep attacking but ultimately Ole has quite a drop off from around 15 players still.

Josep Dowling

What this game proves is we have ALOT of fringe players who have been around for years that need to be shifted. Look at who Liverpool started yesterday against Premier League opposition. Half of them are kids, who know how to play Klopp’s system. We simply don’t have this at United.

Why was Mata given a new contract when we have Bruno, Pogba, VDB and Lingard that can play CAM? Matic should have gone a long time ago. Martial has put in these types of performances since Mourinho. I still don’t understand why Lingard is back and Moyes said this week that Ole was the reason he was kept. I get the feeling Ole has too much sympathy for players with long terms injuries because of his own history in that situation.

Why not give Elanga a chance in his actual position rather than shoving him on at LWB when we need a goal. After all Ole’s smile at the end of the game suggests it’s a trophy he doesn’t give a shit about. Maybe use this ‘pointless’ trophy to give players a chance who have a future with this club?

And why does Ole suddenly decide to play two attacking fullbacks who put crosses in the box and then start Martial as the CF? He’s the only striker who doesn’t like getting in the box. Ole is an incredibly frustrating manager and I’m getting fed up our attack bolstering squad not being used correctly. Still playing counter attacking, defensive and above all garbage football.

OLLY ORANGE

No if he gets out of the CL group and gets a few points more than he did last season that will be enough for him to stay.
Wow
This squad and first eleven should be competing for a trophy end of.
What a missed opportunity if we manage to just get out of the CL group and achieve more points in the prem league than last year.

yipthatman

Even though its not a great cup, it would have been a great competition to use to keep the second sting players fit and sharp for if and when they are needed in the other comps. Ah well.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
I want us to win every single trophy we take part in. Thats how I've always grown up thinking, I don't get people happy that we've gone out of this competition so early and without scoring a single goal.
I doubt anyone is happy, but also not overly upset. If you look at when the next round is scheduled, and the possibility of a tough draw, it shouldn't be the worst thing to have a midweek off to prepare for those games

Red00012

Not bothered about going out of the Carabao Cup. Someone had posted about how the scheduling this year might impact our league campaign, which for me is more important.
It’s a chance to play squad players. I don’t get this I don’t care we are out rubbish

HailtotheKing

Why are people in the matchday thread upset? City will win this trophy anyway, it’s better not to play a lot of needless games and get knocked out early rather than in the semifinals:wenger:
Because it was a great opportunity for squad players - either to make sure theyre fit in case they’re needed or to impress i.e DVB.

Dazzmondo

Some saying this was a good performance and we deserved the win. Don't really agree. We dominated West Ham's 2nd XI because they invited us to. Once they scored they just parked in their penalty area. In terms of which team had the better chances to score, honestly I think West Ham had 3, whereas we had 1 (maybe 2 at a stretch if you're saying Mason should score his chance which personally I think is overrating the chance he had). Lots of shots but nearly all from distance. Poor performance from the 2nd string. Matic was motm for me. Lingard, Mata and VDB were also solid without being great. VDB and Telles were both really poor for the goal. The rest were awful imo.

Not a big deal being out of the cup, but I do think it will increase the pressure on Ole which won't do us any favours. Also think we've had a very poor start to the season honestly and our performances are quite concerning for me at least. On points we're doing fine in the league but the performances haven't matched our results. I don't mind having some poor performances where we win because you need to win points you don't deserve to be a top team, but the number of poor performances is a concern, particularly with the extremely tough run of fixtures we have coming up in October and November. Hoping for improvement.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
Ole should have fielded a stronger team. He needs a cup, any cup, otherwise the pressure keeps mounting on him and I don't think he does well under pressure.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Kind of wonder how long we put up with failure/mediocre performances/grinding out enough wins to be in the top 4 before we act and aim for a manager who can actually get our squad of players to play up to their level, like Tuchel has with Chelsea. Another game where we just struggle to create anything real, leading to another cup exit under Ole (this time at the first time of asking). Yeah, it's just the carabao cup... but we should not be getting knocked out like this.

Individually... Martial is useless and surely has no future and should go in January. Lingard is alright, has his ups and downs as shown this past week. Sanho will take time to get used to playing for United, his confidence is rock bottom IMO but he'll have some fight to get into the team ahead of Greenwood/Pogba/Rashford when he's back. Matic probably our best player today. Van de Beek alright and fine as a squad player there but I don't think he's ever much more than that. Telles first game back after a long time out, will give him the benefit of doubt but Dalot is better competition on the right than he is on the left IMO.

Out of this now though means that we won't need to be rotating so much which is a big plus, considering the drop in level when we have to rotate.

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 237 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Man Utd 2:0 West Ham
  • 24% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham