PL L FA Premier League

West Ham United 2:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 23 December 2023

singhters

You know when your playing crap and your getting flack from fans and the media, tell me how the fcuk you got time to dye your hair or even have it on your mind and dye it a stupid colour like someones taken a dump on your head.

Crap overall, had possession but had no idea how to score. Feel sorry for Hojlund.

GreatDane

Amrabat with 0 attacking skills. Ok. West Ham were a joke of an attacking team. We need to score goals.
They scored 2. And yes we need to score goals, but we havent done so in 4 matches in a row - a functioning midfield would help with that.

Alemar

For everyone complaining about McSauce. Who would you have started this game instead of him? Eriksen coming from injury? Amrabat?
Amrabat or Gore. Double pivot instead of this shit we’ve seen

Wing Attack Plan R

Amrabat or Gore. Double pivot instead of this shit we’ve seen
Gore is a really talented kid, and on balance I would rather have seen him start. I would worry that the fanbase - notoriously level headed and never ever prone to hot takes - might not be kind to him if he didn't manage to set the pitch on fire. Already people are saying Højlund is a busted flush and should be sold, when the "plan" was to introduce him slowly while a more senior striker shouldered the burden. Now there's no senior striker and Højlund is trying to make a fist of it while getting the fewest number of passes into him of any striker in the league. Gore might be a revelation, or our fanbase would shit all over him.

Redfrog

I feel for Mainoo. Having to play as an one man midfielder in a tough away game is the best way to kill the confidence of a 18 years old player.

ETH have already killed the confidence of Hojlund by always playing him. SAF would have protected him.

Banana Republic

I feel for Mainoo. Having to play as an one man midfielder in a tough away game is the best way to kill the confidence of a 18 years old player......
I feel sorry for him too.
He can't be blamed for being hung out to dry as the match went into the later stages and that one-man midfield burden was showing signs of taking its toll.

I thought Mainoo was starting to look tired just before WHU scored their first.
His positional play started to go astray and I was thinking, get some CM reinforcements on quick.
Amrabat should have replaced McT by that point.
If we weren't going to score, ETH should have at least tried to make sure we continued to nullify WH's mostly feeble midfield possession and attacks.

Wing Attack Plan R

Garnacho missed a sitter, Mainoo almost scored. Game of inches. The 2nd goal was Mainoo giving it away, but there were still 2 defenders running alongside Kudous like they wanted his autograph instead of intent on stopping him, and Onana stood rooted as he shot.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Garnacho missed a sitter, Mainoo almost scored. Game of inches. The 2nd goal was Mainoo giving it away, but there were still 2 defenders running alongside Kudous like they wanted his autograph instead of intent on stopping him, and Onana stood rooted as he shot.
Clutching a bit on the Mainoo moment there :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
which one? The one where he gave it away or the one where he shot and the keeper spilled it? Are you high?
The shot that was an easy pick up for the keeper, but he managed to fudge it wide.

And no, but I want to be.

Wing Attack Plan R

The shot that was an easy pick up for the keeper, but he managed to fudge it wide.

And no, but I want to be.
There was also a good header saved, and Antony played a ball across the 6 yard box (!) with his right foot (!) and both Garnacho and Højlund were too slow to react. So, not a blitzkrieg by any stretch, but we created enough to score. Garnacho's miss being the most egregious of the lot.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
You know when your playing crap and your getting flack from fans and the media, tell me how the fcuk you got time to dye your hair or even have it on your mind and dye it a stupid colour like someones taken a dump on your head.

Crap overall, had possession but had no idea how to score. Feel sorry for Hojlund.
Why do you feel sorry for Hojlund? A striker with decent anticipation gets a tap in today. He’s nowhere near good enough.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
There was also a good header saved, and Antony played a ball across the 6 yard box (!) with his right foot (!) and both Garnacho and Højlund were too slow to react. So, not a blitzkrieg by any stretch, but we created enough to score. Garnacho's miss being the most egregious of the lot.
I see the garnacho point but not the others. Even bowen pulled off a really good header than made Onana work. That's not really the point.

Pes6Monster

I feel for Mainoo. Having to play as an one man midfielder in a tough away game is the best way to kill the confidence of a 18 years old player.

ETH have already killed the confidence of Hojlund by always playing him. SAF would have protected him.
SAF would not have bought Hojlund save as a prospect.

Absolutely no chance he'd spend so much, eschewing Harry Kane in the process, and make such a limited player crucial.

This is a pattern of ours.

When we play well we do not capitalise.

Concede and capitulate.

Same shit, different day.

Our forward options are truly shocking.

RedIan

Amrabat along side mainoo 100%. Time and again we have shown we can not play with 1 midfield sitter and 2 who just want to attack. The holes in the team using this formation are exploited every week.
when match fit id have erikson alongside mainoo.

CallyRed

I think your examples are more half chances. Don't think we created near enough. Bar the garnacho bit though.
I think we are so starved as fans, that we take half chances as actual sitters.

Ronaldo's Love Child

Excuse the edit to make it more accurate.
The purple patch didn't last long and he was poor for the remaining 3 months of last season.
I'm not arguing with that :)

I was trying to window dress my point a little bit as I know there are some on here who believe Rashford's form this season is a blip

tomaldinho1

The frustrating thing is I feel the back line, even with injuries, was doing pretty well. Passing form the back was good, we were were fielding our 5th and 6th choice CBs and they didn’t really do much/cause us many issues for much of the game. There’s just nothing cutting edge about us though, we had good chances but our forwards are young and rash and teams have little fear of any of our players running at them or hurting them. We are a good midtable team who win games 1-0 or 2-1. Change is needed and it has to come from the top.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Just caught the first half. Thought we were quite comfortable with that pedestrian pace. Garnacho absolutely had to score that chance and we certainly had the better of the chances in the first half. I can't speak for what happened in the second half, but I thought Shaw was head and shoulders above every player on the pitch in that first half.

I'm sure the manager out voices will become louder now, but it's a long-term strategy and look at our midfield options and centre back options today against an in-form West Ham team that looks pretty solid.

Before seeing the lineup I expected West Ham to edge it, certainly after seeing the lineup. So that first half surprised me a bit.

Oranges038

I genuinely don't think the overall performance was that bad. By and large looked a bit toothless in attack, but still created some good chances, Garnacho really had to score that first chance and it's a different game from then on. I thought Mainoo was good and Kwambwala had an excellent debut. Evans for me was the best Utd player on the pitch.

But this was a classic Moyes setup, hold out until the 60th minute, really press for about 10-15 minutes to try and get a goal from the 60th and then sit in for the rest of the game and try to see it out and hope to nick another on the break.

ken11

Majority of us probably work at jobs we're not passionate about - we go thru the motions to get our next paycheck.

That's majority of the United players currently.

RomfordRed75

No point playing 2 wide players when they create absolutely nothing and our build up play is so slow and ponderous.
Shaw and AWB create more that either Garnacho and Antony, so I dont know why we just don't go with a narrow 4-4-2, flood the midfield and just play with 2 pacey players up top.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I genuinely don't think the overall performance was that bad. By and large looked a bit toothless in attack, but still created some good chances, Garnacho really had to score that first chance and it's a different game from then on. I thought Mainoo was good and Kwambwala had an excellent debut. Evans for me was the best Utd player on the pitch.

But this was a classic Moyes setup, hold out until the 60th minute, really press for about 10-15 minutes to try and get a goal from the 60th and then sit in for the rest of the game and try to see it out and hope to nick another on the break.
I genuinely have to have whatever you were smoking

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers

There wasn’t a cohesion in our attacking play and a lot of backwards passing. We had pockets of decent spells but certainly dire in most parts. I feel many on here are now sensitised to us playing with lethargy so much so that the bar is set very low.

Camilo

But at the very least he could have discontinued playing inept passers in midfield. This season is already over as far as CL spots are concerned - so we could at least nurture some younger players instead. Gore is a much better passer of the ball with better ball control, for example. He lacks experience - so why not to provide it to him?
And complete the transition to mid table club? Have some standards. Big clubs don't just start playing kids and giving them a shot - if they're good enough they play, if they're not they don't.

Alemar

Big clubs don't just start playing kids and giving them a shot - if they're good enough they play, if they're not they don't.
This logic doesn’t stand, unfortunately - because ETH consistently plays mediocre players instead of youth, not “better players”. And he doesn’t have the results to back his team selection (we are getting dominated almost every game).

It’s not like ETH plays a Modric, a Kimmich, a Kroos, a Pedri etc - he plays pure shit in midfield (actually not only there) every single game.

oz insomniac

Aren’t wide players supposed to create for the striker, poor Hojlund is a goal scorer and the set up with the midfield and wide players so poor in providing chances, how the heck is anyone in that position supposed to succeed.

McTominlay is an enigma, has a streaky game and the manager plays him as if he will continue, and ultimately sacrifices any hope of a coherent midfield.Onana is a decent goalkeeper, with all the injuries in front of him, surprised he plays as well as he does.

Part of the club redo, is replace the fitness staff, cos we aren’t fit. ETH should be on borrowed time, but those pelicans sitting in position as transfer and scouts need to be reviewed in a big way. Just get the sense that while the Glazers are in charge, the rough ride will continue as they have no ambition or desire for the club other than their financial stake. Nightmare!

Maniron

Hard to know where we go from here. TH keeps saying we have to stick to the plan, but can anyone here articulate what that plan is - the players don’t seem to know.

Player Ratings

4.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 193 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% West Ham 1:2 Man Utd
  • 12% West Ham 2:0 Man Utd