PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 February 2024

krazyrobus

Not bad, a bit of a slow start, passing was not crisp, but quality players define moments when the game is on the edge, Casemiro's desire plus Holjund's class gave us the 1st goal. On the other side Bowen and Emerson screwed up their chances.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
11 goals in 3 games. Alright ain't it.

Houdini

It's alway nice to beat Moyes :drool: He couldn't win at Old Trafford as United manager he can't as West Ham manager. We look much better since Llisandro came back.

Zero control in the first half, a bit better in the second. Happy with the 3 points against a tough West Ham team.

Licha was the best player on the pitch. Hopefully the impact injury wasn’t too bad.

Giggsy13

A sad day for the ten Hag out brigade but a good day for those who support the club.

FrantikChicken

Fantastic game by everyone. Such a pleasure to see and a great setup for villa away. Beat them and we can really look forward to gaining places the rest of the season

Lj82

Really enjoyed that. Seeing the 3
youngsters sat on the bill board was class.I know it’s one game but there are definitely green shoots there. Only downside was the injury, really hope it’s not
Too bad
I wonder if they planned for that. Hojlund recently mentioned that the young lads have their own chat group and there is a nice feeling of them possibly spending many years together in the club. That picture just felt like it has the potential to be one of this iconic images years down the road.

slored1

Second half was great, hope we're finally getting back on track. Martinez is super unlucky, he makes so much difference to our play.

DavidDeSchmikes

A contrast between the mad game on Thursday, nice to see. Annoyed about that Martinez injury, hopefully nothing too serious. I thought Dalot played well, and Casemiro continues to get minutes under his belt. Pleased with Onana getting another clean sheet. Thought we managed the game well

Garnacho, Mainoo, Garlic Bread, Hojlund, that's the future, that is

Ceteris

Good win, better in the second half for a change. Win at Villa then I can believe we turned the corner

flameinthesun

Its almost as if now the injuries are starting to ease up that we are looking like a better team...

JustinC00

We paid 150 million for sancho and antony on the right, turns out we have an academy player better than both combined
Amad is also probably better than both but ETH playing favorites with Antony getting time over him.

killerboi2

Found our shooting boots but it could just be the team going through a purple patch now the pressure is off. Hopefully more of the same, top 4 could be a possibility.

The Irish Connection

Great win. 3 goals and a clean sheet. But I thought we still lacked a bit of urgency at times.

Chelsea providing the background comedy again.

Hope Martinez isn’t too bad.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Rode our luck at times but the result is what's important at the end of the day. More significantly, our attack seems to have found its shooting boots, 4 against Newport, 4 against Wolves and now 3 against West Ham in consecutive games. For a young attack that's promising. Still issues but Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainoo are giving us a reason to look forward to each game. Still want to see more from Rashford and Fernandes. Martinez injury may have soured the mood but at least Maguire and Lindelof are back to ease the strain.

Withnail

Comfortable win and the young lads coming into form now is great to see. It could have been 4 or 5, really.

Hopefully Martinez's injury isn't serious.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Found our shooting boots but it could just be the team going through a purple patch now the pressure is off. Hopefully more of the same, top 4 could be a possibility.
Pressure's never off at United.

wolvored

A good win again, lets hope it continuess. Apart from Maguires two slip ups we contained WH quite well. Pleased Rasmus scored on his birthday.

ManRant

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
3-0 win, but average rating for the team is at 6.8 currently. Mind-blowing.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
I wonder why Amad is not getting a look in? Is there something going on behind the scenes?

Rustyspider13

Lovely professional win. Apart from the Licha injury, it was a brilliant display. West Ham had a lot of possession and shots but almost all of them were from outside the box and off target. That shot of Garnacho, Hojlund and Mainoo was beautiful.

Siorac

One step closer to the elusive 0 goal difference.

I appreciate that we started scoring goals. I hear that's quite important in this football thing.

NZT-One

What a weird game. I think, the result is a little flattering but our timing today was impeccable. The 2:0 right after kickoff to 2nd half was crucial, Westham was deactivated after that. I think, Westham was well prepared, our wingers were out of the game. We made the most out of our chances in a good game without too many highlights. I really liked Hojlunds finish, very well done. Dalot had one really good scene, which isn't much but it is what it is, for me that is a net positive. Lets hope Martinez isn't injured. Well done to the lads. But they shouldn't rest on that, I think, we weren't so much better than Westham as the results suggests.

redom

Solid result and performance, perhaps we could've retained the ball better at times but we were resilient in defence and our forwards are starting to look more consistently threatening ,Hojlunds confidence and shifting Garnacho right in favour of Antony has certainly helped.

Shame Martinez had to come off and hopefully it's nothing too bad as his presence has been a big plus, Maguire had his good and bad moments coming back in. Rashford needs to get more decisive, he ponders on the ball too often and stifles moves because he always wants to do something with the ball instead of choosing the quick and simple option, Fernandes was kinda quiet today.

Fallon d'Floor

It wasn't even a good performance. It was good result. Pretty much a copy of Everton away.

We accumulated an xG of 0.80 compared to West Ham's 1.69, which is pretty funny.

They had 22 shots. 13 inside our box. And looked a threat from set-pieces all game. That's pretty much standard.

But it's a good day for ten Hag and those who continue to back him. It gives him a chance at staying in CL contention if United can beat Villa way next week.

Irwin99

Solid performance. I don't think we played as well as we did in the first half against Wolves but we were never in much trouble.

Martinez makes such a difference to us. Hope he's ok.

Oh, and that Dalot block in the second half :eek:

MonkeysMagic

On paper looks a comfortable win, and mostly was but West H had 21 attempts on goal which really should not happen for a top team playing at home. Granted most were pot shots but still they could fly in!

ETH is too pragmatic and his teams still don't play with the type of composure and creativity that teams needs to win titles and that won't change no matter how good the players get.

Sour note to game was Martinez injury, really hope its not serious (looked it) or we would not be keeping any clean sheers judging by Maguire performance today.

tjb

The game provided some needed sights:

1. Hojlund is clearly a quality striker in the making, if he had more chances, he'd be scoring them. At some point this season, people started criticizing him, despite the fact nothing in his game has shown he's not putting himself in the right spots. Even today's goal didn't come from a clear orchestrated move.

2. Garnacho, Mainoo and Rashford are also the future of this team. We may need better depth in their positions, but in addition to Hojlund, we have a really good young core.

3. Licha might also be injury prone. So it is paramount that we get another centre back for coverage.

4. This tactic doesn't control games. We were slow in our build up, and only livened up with counter attacking opportunties. I don't see this as the way forward. I think it's responsible for our limited chance creations and doesn't expose us to being dominated in possession or open to counter attacks. On the ball, I truly do not believe that Mainoo, Casemiro and Bruno can't dominate 90% of games. I've seen us with less technical midfields ( Mctominay and Fred) do so under Ole. ETH isn't the guy to take us forward. We have young talents and some older players ( Casemiro and Varane) that we can't afford to waste on hope. We have a lot of quality ( even in depth for players like Dalot) that can't be realized with Ten Haag. This won't be a popular statement, but I think individual performances in games over the course of the last two years shows that there is a lot of talent within the squad. We just have a manager that can't put it together to make it function together. Doesn't mean we don't need improvements in some positions, but it does mean we should be nowhere near as far off the top as we are with this group of players regardless of injuries.

Ole'sgunnarwin

Maybe just stop throwing stupid millions on overrated players and have trust/faith in our youth.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 249 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 14% Man Utd 3:1 West Ham