PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 February 2024

stu_1992

Good game. Very enjoyable, refreshing to come on here and basically only have positives to discuss. :lol:

It feels like we're finally up and firing now this season. Long may it continue. We have to build a team around these great young players who are starting to deliver for us.

Fallon d'Floor

We were quite clearly the better team. They missed one big chance hence the xG differential but they barely had a sniff apart from that. Got their heads to some corners but that’s all.
They had zero "big chances" compared to our 1 big chance.

You can't sniff at a West Ham team having 22 shots at Old Trafford. 13 inside the box. It's Moyes. He's the ultimate negative manager vs big teams. They only had 9 shots vs Bournemouth at home the other night.

Set-pieces are a part of the game. Teams are regularly able to exploit us from them. Nothing has been done to stop it.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
How many times has xG been right this season? Honestly, every time I see it it's way out of tits.
It's not supposed to be utilised game by game. Its statistically accurate over large segments if you want a boring answer.

Pickle85

We looked pretty solid, restricted them to very few chances (and even fewer chances of any significance) while being really clinical going the other way. We look so much better with Mainoo and Martinez playing. I thought despite one particularly dodgy moment (and being caught out for pace a few times) Maguire used the ball well too - some nice passing. Garna was great - never stopped and desrved his goals. I was even pretty happy with Onana today. Good performance all in all!

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
It's not supposed to be utilised game by game. Its statistically accurate over large segments if you want a boring answer.
Yet everyone quotes it game by game like it should decide the winner. It's bollocks.

Does xG change per keeper?

So same shot, from same position, would have the same xG for Onana and Allison?

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
They had zero "big chances" compared to our 1 big chance.

You can't sniff at a West Ham team having 22 shots at Old Trafford. 13 inside the box. It's Moyes. He's the ultimate negative manager vs big teams. They only had 9 shots vs Bournemouth at home the other night.

Set-pieces are a part of the game. Teams are regularly able to exploit us from them. Nothing has been done to stop it.
Well they didn’t score from any of the chances nor look like it for the most part so I’m happy. Sorry the xG wasn’t good enough for you but at least in your eyes Liverpool only beat us 2.91 - 0.92 last season.

mu4c_20le

How many times has xG been right this season? Honestly, every time I see it it's way out of tits.
Right about what? It only shows part of the picture. Teams out or underperform their xG stats all the time. Wait until you get to field tilt.

Eplel

[QUOTE="Lucky McLuckerson, post: 31611432, member: 106294"

Man Utd 3:0 West Ham Utd - Garnacho (84')
[/QUOTE]

Ah, the Park Ji Sung finishing special ❤

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Wow, a comfortable win. However, the main reason it was 3-0 was because WH could not shoot straight. We should have still won, just probably should have been closer.

- Dalot has become a very important player for ETH. He has grown immensely especially with his passing. I would even say he might be a better passer than Casemiro at this point.
- Good all around play from everyone. The weakest link might have been Casemiro with his passing. His defense, though, was very good.
- I can't figure out why ETH likes Antony so much. I thought he would have been transitioning away from him and to Amad by now. Stubborn man.

Another question for ETH: Garnacho is better on the right than on the left. Why did it take injuries and a poor Antony to try Garnacho on the right? Why did he not try this a little in practice to find out? That's poor management in my book.

IRN-BRUno

Good comfortable win. Great signs from Hojlund and Garnacho. Onana had a solid game. The block from Dalot to deny Bowen was excellent.

Just unfortunate about Martinez, hopefully it's not as bad as feared.

Cantonagotmehere

It wasn't even a good performance. It was good result. Pretty much a copy of Everton away.

We accumulated an xG of 0.80 compared to West Ham's 1.69, which is pretty funny.

They had 22 shots. 13 inside our box. And looked a threat from set-pieces all game. That's pretty much standard.

But it's a good day for ten Hag and those who continue to back him. It gives him a chance at staying in CL contention if United can beat Villa way next week.
Dude, you can't enjoy that win?

IRELANDUNITED

Was in 2 minds about whether or not to head for pints tonight after work (it’s a bank holiday here in Ireland) but that result seals it,
I’m going on the beer.

Liverpool losing an added bonus.

Cantonagotmehere

Great win. That's 2 vs solid EPL teams.

So happy for the youngin's. Made me very happy.

Super sad about Licha, hopefully it's not long term. He makes us click.

Fts 74

Good win although I felt we were a little passive in the first half, gave them encouragement but 2nd half was excellent and a deserved win.
Garnacho was excellent and Bruno was much more disciplined than usual.Happy to have a 3-0 home win its been a while.

DSG

This is quite a negative and slightly disingenuous interpretation of the stats. 1.69xG from 22 shots tells you a lot about the quality of their chances.

Yes, they did look dangerous at corners and we need to smarten up there but did they even create one big chance from open play?
Yes, the Maguire gift that Emerson blazed over the bar. Emerson also scuffed a shot in front of goal.

The Dalot block after another Maguire error.

I agree that they didn’t really break us down.

JediSith

Great result. Decent performance. Love that Hojlund scored a goal created by himself. Mainoo very good.

Really only negative is Rashford.

MrBest

First half lacked energy, second more comfortable. Defensively, one of best performances all season, we even scored 3 goals. Overall I cannot complain, it finally looks like we are working as a team and having a core set of players back will hopefully push us forward. Must win game against Villa next.

Lost bear

Wow, a comfortable win. However, the main reason it was 3-0 was because WH could not shoot straight. We should have still won, just probably should have been closer.

- Dalot has become a very important player for ETH. He has grown immensely especially with his passing. I would even say he might be a better passer than Casemiro at this point.
- Good all around play from everyone. The weakest link might have been Casemiro with his passing. His defense, though, was very good.
- I can't figure out why ETH likes Antony so much. I thought he would have been transitioning away from him and to Amad by now. Stubborn man.

Another question for ETH: Garnacho is better on the right than on the left. Why did it take injuries and a poor Antony to try Garnacho on the right? Why did he not try this a little in practice to find out? That's poor management in my book.

Some interesting points. I've gone from being highly critical of Dalot to rating his recent performances highly. He's actually a capable footballer in terms of passing and touch- the only slight concern I have is that he won't maintain it and will slip back into those terrible lapses of concentration that he was prone to previously. But the signs are promising.

Regarding Anthony, have to agree that ETH is so stubborn. The player does have some ability, but is hopelessly one footed and inconsistent; plus, his judgement is often terrible. Why not give Amad a decent run? Who knows.

BTW- with regard to your tag, I've been really impressed with Andreas' perfromances for Fulham this year. He's a good player for them, no doubt. Not sure whether it would have worked here, but there were others we could have sold instead of him for sure.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Bit like the Everton game away. Somehow found ourselves 2-0 up with a Moments FC performance and not really deserving it. Was decent from then on, much more control.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
3-0 win, but average rating for the team is at 6.8 currently. Mind-blowing.
And that is about right, we played as a team today rather than a group if indviduals, nobody stood out really indvidually

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I wonder why Amad is not getting a look in? Is there something going on behind the scenes?
Antony was on for he defensive abilities to help see the game out and he did that effectively, if we'd been chasing the game it would have been the wrong call but it wasn't in this case

DSG

I don’t get the negativity. I’m still not convinced by ETH. He has to go on a serious run of results to get into the top 4 for me to change my vote from sack to keep.

But there were patterns of play, some nice movement, chances created. Glad for him and the team for the performance and the result.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
This is quite a negative and slightly disingenuous interpretation of the stats. 1.69xG from 22 shots tells you a lot about the quality of their chances.

Yes, they did look dangerous at corners and we need to smarten up there but did they even create one big chance from open play?
They created 2 big chances from open play, the Emerson one and the Dalot block

Robertd0803

Get in there. Viva Garnacho.

Loved his celebration for the first goal. Might be a new favourite. Great to see Hojlund continuing to score as well.

Hope Martinez injury isnt too serious but not looking likely.

RyRy11

Makes a nice change from the "should have scored 5 in the first half to put the game to bed". Don't really remember a chance West Ham had that should have been a goal, Onana made 2 good saves but saves a keeper at this level should be making. Easy.

Todd

Dream result, never would've expected such a scoreline. Unfortunately now it has most likely cost us Martinez for the rest of the season. So, all in all a bad day.

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
A sad day for the ten Hag out brigade but a good day for those who support the club.
frankly, i feel we’ve started recording better results since:
1) ETH dropped his untouchables
2) dropped his inverted wingers dyzmotactics
3) started playing balanced midfield
4) allowed fullbacks to overlap

the so called ETH out brigade has been demanding the above for ages

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Loved when the kids had their celebration on the rail.

Does anyone else feel Coufel intentionally leaned on Martinez? The ball was out and it seemed he pushed off his feet to put weight on Martinez leg. I don't think he was trying to hurt Lisandro, but it was entirely unnecessary. I hope LM recovers for next season.

RedIan

Comfortable win but i still feel we concede far too many chances.
ETH comments on the Licha injury are a big concern. He is crucial to the team and calm build up.
Hoylund took his goal so well.. wheres the doubters now? Garnacho can nail down RW for me what a talent.

Jeffthered

I didn't watch it, but it sounded quite convinving on the radio. A good win so we will take that, two wins in a row which is welcome. Martinez is important so hope he is ok. Mainoo, Garnacho and Rasmus have scored this week so that's something to work with.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 249 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 14% Man Utd 3:1 West Ham