PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 3:0 West Ham United

Post-match discussion

Sun, 04 February 2024

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Loved when the kids had their celebration on the rail.

Does anyone else feel Coufel intentionally leaned on Martinez? The ball was out and it seemed he pushed off his feet to put weight on Martinez leg. I don't think he was trying to hurt Lisandro, but it was entirely unnecessary. I hope LM recovers for next season.
To be fair Martinez started it and it wasn't necessary. I think it was just pushing back and very unfortunate.

SirScholes

Wow, a comfortable win. However, the main reason it was 3-0 was because WH could not shoot straight. We should have still won, just probably should have been closer.

- Dalot has become a very important player for ETH. He has grown immensely especially with his passing. I would even say he might be a better passer than Casemiro at this point.
- Good all around play from everyone. The weakest link might have been Casemiro with his passing. His defense, though, was very good.
- I can't figure out why ETH likes Antony so much. I thought he would have been transitioning away from him and to Amad by now. Stubborn man.

Another question for ETH: Garnacho is better on the right than on the left. Why did it take injuries and a poor Antony to try Garnacho on the right? Why did he not try this a little in practice to find out? That's poor management in my book.
I think Dalot is poor to be honest and one of the reasons why we can’t defend

Doracle

Antony was on for he defensive abilities to help see the game out and he did that effectively, if we'd been chasing the game it would have been the wrong call but it wasn't in this case
We were 3-0 up in the 88th minute. It’s the ideal time to give Amad a run out.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Prognosis on Martinez injury not good apparently. EtH thinks it's "very bad".

CtrlAltDeLigt

Yes, but he’s the best we’ve got. And seems like a committed and professional player, physically he’s improved so much this season.

I would honestly hope united continue with him, he definitely will fit as an inverted full back with his positioning.

tomaldinho1

frankly, i feel we’ve started recording better results since:
1) ETH dropped his untouchables
2) dropped his inverted wingers dyzmotactics
3) started playing balanced midfield
4) allowed fullbacks to overlap

the so called ETH out brigade has been demanding the above for ages
This is the most bitter positive post you could have written.

The only change is Antony being dropped.
Rashford is still a right footed LW. The difference isn’t that Garnacho is right footed, he’s just a much better offensive player.
Midfield just has Case back and Mainoo turns out to be a very good young player.
Full backs could always overlap, literally think it was our first goal this season (?) is AWB getting forward and crossing to assist.

We get you want to be right but also want United to do well. I don’t care if ETH comes good or not, I just want to see more games like today and last game where the plan is more evident.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
.... The difference isn’t that Garnacho is right footed, he’s just a much better offensive player.
You are seriously under playing the advantage having Garnacho on his natural side adds. I reduced his tendency to cut JJ to shoot himself and stretches out play better than our previous inside-outism

Sea-Cow

The best moment of the match was Rasmus' feint and perfectly hit shot right in the corner. I love how easy it looked for him.

Second favorite moment was Dalot's sliding block.

tomaldinho1

You are seriously under playing the advantage having Garnacho on his natural side adds. I reduced his tendency to cut JJ to shoot himself and stretches out play better than our previous inside-outism
If you honestly believe that, great. I don’t think it makes a huge difference i.e. if Garnacho was Antony’s level but right footed, he’d be just as ineffective.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Great win for us.
Thankfully WH left their shooting boots back in London cos if they’d brought them we could have been in trouble.
Onana (auto corrects to Obama) did well when he was tested. Maguire apart from that brain fart that he had to get bailed out by Dalot, did ok.
Hopefully Martinez’s injury isn’t bad cos I thought he was one of our best players today. The tenacity that boy has is :drool:

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...
This is the most bitter positive post you could have written.

The only change is Antony being dropped.
Rashford is still a right footed LW. The difference isn’t that Garnacho is right footed, he’s just a much better offensive player.
Midfield just has Case back and Mainoo turns out to be a very good young player.
Full backs could always overlap, literally think it was our first goal this season (?) is AWB getting forward and crossing to assist.

We get you want to be right but also want United to do well. I don’t care if ETH comes good or not, I just want to see more games like today and last game where the plan is more evident.
Im not bitter! Im happy to see Logic to ETH’s selections and tactis.

SirScholes

Yes, but he’s the best we’ve got. And seems like a committed and professional player, physically he’s improved so much this season.

I would honestly hope united continue with him, he definitely will fit as an inverted full back with his positioning.
Nah we need to put him in the bin
I’m sick of “well he’s a good guy” we need quality

he sits of his man soooo much, I hate watching him give wingers time to pick out a cross

SirScholes

Great win for us.
Thankfully WH left their shooting boots back in London cos if they’d brought them we could have been in trouble.
Onana (auto corrects to Obama) did well when he was tested. Maguire apart from that brain fart that he had to get bailed out by Dalot, did ok.
Hopefully Martinez’s injury isn’t bad cos I thought he was one of our best players today. The tenacity that boy has is :drool:
I don’t think he did get bailed out by Dalot, they just blasted over

RuudTom83

Some real good vibes from today's game, the players actually looked like they enjoyed themselves.

Great to see.

always_hoping

Didn't get the opportunity to watch the match live today but have watched back on the full 90 minutes now.

Good to get a comfortable win finally this season, none of the chaos or hanging on for a narrow win. With players back it's a much more structured team now and long may that continue

West ham had more shots on goal today than they had in their 2-0 win against Man United a month ago but today and then they remain the same dour and bog average Moyes managed team.

On the Martinez injury WTF was the medical team at to allow him back on the field. It looks likes ligament damage to his knee fingers and toes crossed its a MCl instead of the dreaded ACL.

Oranges038

Overall performance was decent, they still probably had too many attempts on goal, but Onana was never really troubled. A rare, quite comfortable 3-0 home win. It's been a while since we've seen one of them.

His back post awareness is laughable. To be fair he was ok today, made up some ground for a block and had a shot or 2.

croadyman

Pleased with the result today but much like Everton it's worrying how many shots they had. Hopefully when we control games more that won't happen.

Think we need to consider bringing in another LCB this summer as Martinez is picking up injuries

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Missed the game but how did Maguire perform? From the highlights he looked off. Martinez's injury is an absolute blow - he was a driving force from the back.

UnRational

Great win an great goals but that moment from Dalot where he tracked back to block Bowens shot was quality, overall buzzing an drunk asf.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Poor manager with substitution, even the commentators think it is best to sub Martinez and yet Erik allows him back into the game to commit more tackles, this shows how dumb Erik is. Maguire has to be sold this summer, letting players pinch the football and a straight forward run to goal, it is just criminal defending. United needs 2 CB, 1 ST, 1 CM in summer. Casemiro had a poor game with his constant giving the ball back to WH.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Missed the game but how did Maguire perform? From the highlights he looked off. Martinez's injury is an absolute blow - he was a driving force from the back.
Maguire was largely decent apart from one massive feck up. Put a couple of thunderbastard challenges in which was good to see. I'd give him a slightly generous 7/10.

Cantona in disguise

Poor manager with substitution, even the commentators think it is best to sub Martinez and yet Erik allows him back into the game to commit more tackles, this shows how dumb Erik is. Maguire has to be sold this summer, letting players pinch the football and a straight forward run to goal, it is just criminal defending. United needs 2 CB, 1 ST, 1 CM in summer. Casemiro had a poor game with his constant giving the ball back to WH.

Plenty of sticks to beat ETH with but I'd assume he takes advice from the medical staff.

moodyred

1. Great future: picture of the moment for our 3 young players
2. Biggest win for the season
3. Clean sheet

But why can't we have a game without negatives.
1. Licha injury

moodyred

The game provided some needed sights:

1. Hojlund is clearly a quality striker in the making, if he had more chances, he'd be scoring them. At some point this season, people started criticizing him, despite the fact nothing in his game has shown he's not putting himself in the right spots. Even today's goal didn't come from a clear orchestrated move.

2. Garnacho, Mainoo and Rashford are also the future of this team. We may need better depth in their positions, but in addition to Hojlund, we have a really good young core.

3. Licha might also be injury prone. So it is paramount that we get another centre back for coverage.

4. This tactic doesn't control games. We were slow in our build up, and only livened up with counter attacking opportunties. I don't see this as the way forward. I think it's responsible for our limited chance creations and doesn't expose us to being dominated in possession or open to counter attacks. On the ball, I truly do not believe that Mainoo, Casemiro and Bruno can't dominate 90% of games. I've seen us with less technical midfields ( Mctominay and Fred) do so under Ole. ETH isn't the guy to take us forward. We have young talents and some older players ( Casemiro and Varane) that we can't afford to waste on hope. We have a lot of quality ( even in depth for players like Dalot) that can't be realized with Ten Haag. This won't be a popular statement, but I think individual performances in games over the course of the last two years shows that there is a lot of talent within the squad. We just have a manager that can't put it together to make it function together. Doesn't mean we don't need improvements in some positions, but it does mean we should be nowhere near as far off the top as we are with this group of players regardless of injuries.
Licha's injury isn't really his fault. Look at how the wolves player landed on him in such an awkward manner. Most would be injured by that.

moodyred

Maguire was largely decent apart from one massive feck up. Put a couple of thunderbastard challenges in which was good to see. I'd give him a slightly generous 7/10.
Too generous. He lost the ball a couple of times in dangerous area and that miss placed pass went unpunished. Can't really afford that for a central defender. Look at the difference between Licha and him and you know we need someone more solid if we want to boss the epl again.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
Happy to hear this! He has upped his game! Yeah I saw that mistake and wondered how he did for the rest of the game.,

Doracle

Happy to hear this! He has upped his game! Yeah I saw that mistake and wondered how he did for the rest of the game.,
Probably our best player in the first half. Completely dominant at the back and was switching play and passing through the lines. Second half, he made the early mistake and wasn’t quite as good generally but still a solid performance.

redmanx

Great result but I am panicked about Martinez injury.
Martinez returning to the side was a great bonus and showed just how much he was missed; not only is he a true warrior who gives his all for the cause but he can play and sprays the ball around brilliantly. The prospect of losing him again fills me with dread because he is the only central defender we have who can be trusted to perform at a high level every match.

redmanx

Maguire is back to his best, or close to it, but should we lose Martinez again the prospect of a pairing from Maguire, Varane or Lindelof worries me.

suheilsworld

If Martinez is out and varane being varane , we’ll be soon on Maguire Lindelof partnership. We need Casemiro fit and back in form to ensure a steady back and hoping the partnership works the way it did before maguire got injured. Big season ahead

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
We need to put sancho and anthony to garnacho shoe policing duty from now on till both are sold. Anthony of the left cos i don't think he does much with the right hand. Sancho we need to attach a ps5 controller.

Player Ratings

6.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 249 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • West Ham win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 2:1 West Ham
  • 14% Man Utd 3:1 West Ham