FA W FA Cup Fourth Round

Manchester United 4:0 Wigan Athletic

Post-match discussion

Sun, 29 January 2017

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Trying to be a journo? Listen..on the cafe.....after a game..it's probably better not to write too much, even though it's well thought out. It's just...well..we won...and people will just read short stuff..probably because they are having a beer or well.....doing something... we just can't read too much. Tomorrow yes.....
:)
I think there were some nerves from Mou's line up especially from players trying (too hard) to impress. Took a good 20 min to settle. Lot's of changes, players unfamiliar with each other in a game situation. That, plus a well coached Wigan team that, like most teams at OT, were definitely well up for the match.
2nd half as you say, much more settled and provided the bog standard 4 nil which I think a staggering 12% of us got right :D
Still a few sensible voices in here. Enjoyed these posts. Enjoyed the game too. Even though the first half seemed tough, their defending was attritional for Wigan. Second half and they had just - as Americans say - run out of gas. Good for Felli, Smalling and Basti to get on the scoresheet.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I don't we've ever sold well (even under Jose).

Only the Ronaldo deal comes to mind and in hindsight he went on the cheap.

I think we could have got more for Memphis and Morgan
Neither of them played, like ever. I think we did remarkably well to get what we did. We basically ripped Lyon off with that deal, and got what we paid for Morgan despite him being a flop and 2 years older.

davidmichael

Schweinsteiger and Mhkitaryan were the best two players on the pitch, Martial scared their defence once he'd moved to the left, Fosu-Mensah was solid and showed he deserves to play more whilst Shaw was comfortable and 90 minutes will do him the world of good.

Found Romero to be a bit shaky today whilst Smalling looks like a man who needs a few games without incident to get back to his best, Rooney was ok but today was a perfect example of why he'll be off to America in the summer and Mata doesn't seem to play as well out on the right when Mhkitaryan is through the middle.

All in all though it's a good result on a weekend that's seen many giant killings in the cup and we did it without De Gea, Valencia, Carrick, Pogba, Rashford and Zlatan so they've all had a nice rest which is a bonus as that is arguably our core group of most important players along with Mhkitaryan.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Wigan fans singing 'your support is fecking shit' and 'we support our local team' when they get about 10 fans for every home game was hilarious. Self awareness isn't a pie eaters strong suit.

Martial's big test didn't really go down very well and yet he still managed two assists so I don't know what Jose'll do with him now.

We weren't great but it was professional and clinical in the end. I love that 4-0 is still our standard score against Wigan.

stu_1992

Good result today, and never felt like we had to get out of second gear. First half was poor tbh, but thankfully the goal came a t the right time and teh second half was a walk in the park.

Nice to see a few debuts today, and Schweinsteiger and Shaw returning was great too. I did worry about Schweinsteiger early on as his passing was just not with it. But he grew into the game. I'm impressed.

Spirit of Solskjaer

I notice Rooney is currently the lowest rated player. Is it just me or is this absolute bollocks?
I came to this thread to see if someone had pointed this out. The Rooney hate is so petty and childish on here sometimes, it's just sad. Rooney was nowhere near MOTM for us and he could've done more, but our worst performer? Average rating starting with a 5? Come on now.

I thught he generally kept the ball well in the attacking third and sprayed it around nicely, don't recall him losing it cheaply too many times. Oh, and he also started the counter attack for Mkhitaryan's goal with a brilliant touch, but I suppose we'll just forget about that :rolleyes: Other than that, he didn't really do anything decisive, but it's more than for example the largely anonymous Mata achieved in the game. Surely for anyone with an unbiased view Rooney did enough to warrant a 6 or 7 out of 10?

WyoManU

I came to this thread to see if someone had pointed this out. The Rooney hate is so petty and childish on here sometimes, it's just sad. Rooney was nowhere near MOTM for us and he could've done more, but our worst performer? Average rating starting with a 5? Come on now.

I thught he generally kept the ball well in the attacking third and sprayed it around nicely, don't recall him losing it cheaply too many times. Oh, and he also started the counter attack for Mkhitaryan's goal with a brilliant touch, but I suppose we'll just forget about that :rolleyes: Other than that, he didn't really do anything decisive, but it's more than for example the largely anonymous Mata achieved in the game. Surely for anyone with an unbiased view Rooney did enough to warrant a 6 or 7 out of 10?
I thought most of our team was average to below average, at home...against a Championship club fighting against relegation. Rooney was not our worst player...but he was almost completely useless. Not sure how much difference there is between those two statements.

Cantona_Forever

Strange game. 4-0 yet still don't feel anyone on the pitch had a great game.

Mourinho is trying to be a proper United manager, isn't he? Not only he sub Tuanzebe for Timmy, but gave chance to Pareira. Highlights of the match for me.

Maybe my mood was killed by Mhiki spectacular missed chance earlier. Why we always missed clear cut chance like that? But then we scored on almost every one we had after. Really feel weird.

Don't think Fellaini is a United player but credit to him, he open the game up (and taught everyone in the process how to put it in). Martial was a threat every time he ran through midfield. BFS show what a world class player can do even when not at 100%. Only Shaw a disappointment in my eyes. Play cowardly and gave fouls in area where he shouldn't do.

Reactions: Dargonk

LouisDanGaal

I notice Rooney is currently the lowest rated player. Is it just me or is this absolute bollocks?
Hard one, general everything you read about him on here is bullshite as he is quite clearly the most hated player by a distance, but today there were three or four standouts and then not really a lot between the rest, you could probably argue he was better than romero, shaw, smalling, and rojo, but at the same time its very slim margins that I don't think it going the other way is outrageous.

Tapori

Really pleased that rather than change "The United Style," in terms of approach play, Mourinho seems to have embraced what we want as fans. Fast flowing, direct counter attacks from all angles being pleasant and having control of the game. Being direct when we have to and playing right to the whistle.

Still have trouble breaking packed defences and we need better wing play and stretch teams wider, but this will get better in time and with better finishing.

He's made mistakes and he will make mistakes, but have no doubt that if he encourages the type of football we've been playing since November, we will support him. Even under Fergie we didn't automatically go 3-0 up in the first half of every game.

Loved the little bits like the subs and giving Schweini his chance. He's created a real spirit in the club again. If only we could finish chances better.
The swagger is returning slowly and the squad looks to be playing for the manager, the fans and above all each other!

Can't wait to see how this squad shapes up next season. We're still in 3 cups. We could do the Treble!

Reactions: Sultan

EvilIrwin

Wigan fans singing 'your support is fecking shit' and 'we support our local team' when they get about 10 fans for every home game was hilarious. Self awareness isn't a pie eaters strong suit.

Martial's big test didn't really go down very well and yet he still managed two assists so I don't know what Jose'll do with him now.

We weren't great but it was professional and clinical in the end. I love that 4-0 is still our standard score against Wigan.
Pretty easy with Martial, the left side is his to lose and should start every game unless it's a fixture pile up and requires rotation/sub with Rashford.
Poor first half but so was the midfield and hopefully his 2nd half performance will keep him on the left from now on. Was a shame schweinsteigger decided to boot someone in the face to cancel out his goal but he deserves to play Wednesday.

RedPnutz

I hope we can play more of those explosive counters. Really felt like the old United. Amazing to think that except Mkhi that was basically last season's squad.
I thinks counters are great too, but playing more counters also mean that opponent teams must have been attacking us in the first place.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
First half very LvG'esque.

Second half we upped the game and were ruthless in front of the goal. Nicely done in the end.

Took a while to get going but when we did :drool:

Positives:
Schweinstieger and Martial both started slowly but ended up playing very well.
Miki excellent throughout.
Fosu Mensah solid and got forward in good positions a few times. Should have had an assist.
Tuanzebe looked a bit nervy but good to get his debut.

Negatives:
Rooney horrible as always. So many attacks thwarted by his duff touches/passes.
Fellaini almost as bad with his slow and ponderous passing in midfield.
Smalling needs to be told hes allowed to pass to someone other than Rojo.
Shaw needs to stop leaving acres of space down his flank if he wants to make it here. Pre-injury he was the same.

LouisDanGaal

First half very LvG'esque.

Second half we upped the game and were ruthless in front of the goal. Nicely done in the end.
When people say things like this is makes me cast my mind back to the last Cup game I saw at old Trafford against Sheffieldthere was 75,000 people there just not bothered/ resigned to this boring shite that we were serving up, I wouldn't even say it was a toxic atmosphere, just bored and that all came from what was happening on the pitch. At least when we are poor now you know there are players in the squad who can sort it. I remember spells where knocking out lower league teams were not taken for granted, such as sheff u or derby, now we are winning games like this 4-0 and people aren't even particularly impressed, its just fine now. I'm very happy with how much we're coming along in the cup competitions.

Grunge

So far away I get up 4am to just watch Utd on TV
Strange game. 4-0 yet still don't feel anyone on the pitch had a great game.
Me too ... lots of 6's (Including Rooney) yet won handily and why for me Basti just edged the others for MoM.

Mourinho is trying to be a proper United manager, isn't he? Not only he sub Tuanzebe for Timmy, but gave chance to Pareira. Highlights of the match for me.
Fosu's substitution or at least the choice of sub caught almost everyone by surprise don't you think? And then a goalie change! :wenger: Anybody pick either of those?

Maybe my mood was killed by Mhiki spectacular missed chance earlier. Why we always missed clear cut chance like that? But then we scored on almost every one we had after. Really feel weird.
I've programmed my mood not to be killed until at least 5 massively spurned chances. Wife's orders.

Don't think Fellaini is a United player but credit to him, he open the game up (and taught everyone in the process how to put it in). Martial was a threat every time he ran through midfield. BFS show what a world class player can do even when not at 100%. Only Shaw a disappointment in my eyes. Play cowardly and gave fouls in area where he shouldn't do.
Agree with everything your Fellaini Martial & BFS evaluations but not your evaluation of Shaw, who, despite not playing in ages, imo put in a pretty good shift for a full 90 minutes. I grant you it took him 20 minutes or so to get his legs under him but otherwise did was he was asked to do & for me showed signs that he's going to get some more chances.

The_Order

Hard one, general everything you read about him on here is bullshite as he is quite clearly the most hated player by a distance, but today there were three or four standouts and then not really a lot between the rest, you could probably argue he was better than romero, shaw, smalling, and rojo, but at the same time its very slim margins that I don't think it going the other way is outrageous.
Absolute nonsense, Rojo at CB has been consistently one of our best players, yesterday was no different. Rooney was so static and easily shrugged off the ball last night.

Cantona_Forever

..but not your evaluation of Shaw, who, despite not playing in ages, imo put in a pretty good shift for a full 90 minutes. I grant you it took him 20 minutes or so to get his legs under him but otherwise did was he was asked to do & for me showed signs that he's going to get some more chances.
Hope you're right.
Cheers.

Btw, your wife is a keeper. :devil:

Robertd0803

Would be nice to see Schweinsteiger have the same sort of influence in a league match start to finish. So much for my hope that once Rooney broke the record he would play with no shackles or pressure and go on a run of decent form. Instead we get this performance and the Sunday Supplement stating that he is being managed out of OT.

Relatively straightforward after Fellainis goal, sometimes you just need to break down a stubborn defence and they don't have a plan b.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
- We had a few players trying too hard to impress and also Chris Smalling who seems to have decided to go back to being a non league player, but I didn't ever feel like there was a danger we wouldn't win

- Rojo seems to get a strange satisfaction out of punting the ball as far up in the air as he can. We should probably just let him spend the entire warm up doing this so he doesn't keep doing it at inappropriate times during the fecking game.

- Fellaini is really good at heading crosses into the goal. You know like, better than possibly any other player, anywhere. It's the one thing he is good enough at to make him being at the club make any sense. WHY don't we use him to do this more often?

- Max Power

- Schweinsteiger played pretty well for someone who looks about 70.

- Ander Herrera wins the worst shot of the season award.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Pretty dull first half. Much better in the second and job done. Basti was class after running off the rust in the first 10 minutes. At one stage I thought we might have been watching Martial's swansong. He looked to be in a strop and was poor but got better as game went along. Thought Fellaini showed some heart and Romero looked pretty safe again but I wouldn't be surprised if this was Smalling's last season at the club... Next, please

Mike09

Firstly, we shouldn't get carried away like Arsenal fans after their team defeated Southampton's 2nd team + kid. It's just Wigan.

I don't think we did that great in this game. First half I think Mensah looked very good. Second half I think Martial looked very good.

Schweinsteiger was good but not as impressive as what people rated. He did lose the ball a few times due to lack of awareness. I remember he made many wrong decision in term of passing the ball. Especially in first half he decided to make a through ball to Martial when there is easier and better player to target like Rooney when he was free and got a lot of space.
Oh well, overall with his mistakes, it makes sense since it was his first 90 minutes game after a while.

I think I expected more from Mkhytaryan. I feel like his performance hasn't been a top class after the Spurs game. His Hull city performance was probably the closest one. So I expected more from him against Wigan yesterday.

On the positive things, we are giving youth chances, Schweinsteiger played his first 90 minutes this season, Martial looked dangerous. Shaw is coming back. 4-0 is a very good score.

LouisDanGaal

Absolute nonsense, Rojo at CB has been consistently one of our best players, yesterday was no different. Rooney was so static and easily shrugged off the ball last night.
Not talking about consistency. Yesterday Rojo made a couple of mistakes and a couple of pointless hoofs and didn't do much defensively. I like Rojo and agree with you he has been consistent and I'm not saying he had a shocker, but it could be argued Rooney had a better game which it could. The phrase Absolute nonsense seems a bit of an unnecessary and aggressive leap to make, a bit like a Rojo tackle! :smirk:

soad

Basti was superb, absolutely. But one player for me was the main engine yesterday - Miki. He was everywhere. Big parts of the game he stayed deep and commanded the midfield. At the same time he was the most dangerous attacker. One hell of a performance of him yesterday. I think he's much better playing central. It will be interesting what is Mou going to decide for Hull. Martial was also very good. So i won't be surprised if Herrera stays on the bench and Miki takes his position. Something like:
-----Carrick----Pogba------
Mata------Miki------Martial
---------Ibra---------------

unitedforeveral

Our first half again was total crap, Bastian Sweinsteiger was the only player who moved. His pace might not be so great but his positions and passing accuracy is excellent. What every other United player has to learn is, he passes the ball as soon as he gets it, he doesn't try to tackle or dribble, it's simple and efficient. He had over a 100 passes with amazing accuracy. He looked to receive the ball in all corners of the pitch and pass it forward. He looked silky and should definitely play more. Of course then again, i have been constantly disappointed with a few players only doing it sometimes. I honestly feel Pogba and Bastian can link up well in the midfield.

The main problem for us is our first half, we're just so damn slow. Going sideways, backwards, heavy touches, twisting and turning into players, not knowing where who is, running with the defensive players and not away from them, no darting runs, no aerial passes to the wings, wing backs not getting involved. Shaw threw in a few crosses in the first half and Basti sent a beauty for the goal, apart from which our first half was a total bust.

Second half was completely to my liking- Martial went to the left, Mata in the middle, Rooney up front often dropping deep, MkhiT on the right also dropping deep and moving the ball up the field. They exchanged some quick passes and made the Wigan team look like kids. Bastian anchored the whole show and we looked great. Hoping to see a lot more of Bastian, he and Carrick can make a world of difference.

Have to mention Rojo, he played so much like Pique from Barcelona. Sending square passes, egging the team to go for goals. He's become a very good CB under Jose.

LouisDanGaal

- Fellaini is really good at heading crosses into the goal. You know like, better than possibly any other player, anywhere. It's the one thing he is good enough at to make him being at the club make any sense. WHY don't we use him to do this more often?
I actually don't think he is. Under LVG our basic tactic was cross it to the back stick and hope Fellaini heads it in and it was very ineffective. Obviously playing without much variety also reduced its effectiveness but I don't think he goes for a lot of the headers he should, he doesn't always throw himself at the ball as bravely as say someone like andy carroll or peter crouch do. On top of that he isn't very accurate with his head, I remember a lot of misses from good positions over the last couple of years. Would be a really great feature to our game though if Mourinho can turn him into a wrecking ball, its two in two for him now, if he finishes the season on 6 or 7 that would be great, he seems to love the cups too, one of our best players in the FA cup last year.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I actually don't think he is. Under LVG our basic tactic was cross it to the back stick and hope Fellaini heads it in and it was very ineffective. Obviously playing without much variety also reduced its effectiveness but I don't think he goes for a lot of the headers he should, he doesn't always throw himself at the ball as bravely as say someone like andy carroll or peter crouch do. On top of that he isn't very accurate with his head, I remember a lot of misses from good positions over the last couple of years. Would be a really great feature to our game though if Mourinho can turn him into a wrecking ball, its two in two for him now, if he finishes the season on 6 or 7 that would be great, he seems to love the cups too, one of our best players in the FA cup last year.
That's because we never crossed the ball to him under LVG...we hoofed it from diagonal angles...or we'd cross it and have him stood so far beyond the far post he'd have to either try to bring the ball down or just head it back towards the area. We never tried to use him as someone who can run onto crosses and score, and that's baffling to me as it's the one thing he can do that no one else in our squad can do nearly as well.

He's not going to be getting 20 goals a season or anything doing it, and it should still just be an option rather than part of our first choice gameplan, but it's one we rarely ever use...yet we're happy to use him in roles he is completely unsuited to...like defending, holding midfield, getting on the end of hoofs so he can head them to the nearest opposition player, or standing around pointlessly on the right wing.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Was that before the 5th goal(disallowed) was scored ?

edit: nvm found it - give me 2min

:drool:

I thought Joyce was begging to be giffed around the 61st-62nd minute by the way.

LouisDanGaal

That's because we never crossed the ball to him under LVG...we hoofed it from diagonal angles...or we'd cross it and have him stood so far beyond the far post he'd have to either try to bring the ball down or just head it back towards the area. We never tried to use him as someone who can run onto crosses and score, and that's baffling to me as it's the one thing he can do that no one else in our squad can do nearly as well.

He's not going to be getting 20 goals a season or anything doing it, and it should still just be an option rather than part of our first choice gameplan, but it's one we rarely ever use...yet we're happy to use him in roles he is completely unsuited to...like defending, holding midfield, getting on the end of hoofs so he can head them to the nearest opposition player, or standing around pointlessly on the right wing.
Our primary attacking outlet under LVG was crosses into fellaini at the back stick identical to the goal yesterday, its just it doesn't work very well when it is the only feature of your play, strongly disagree that we've never tried that tactic. I agree making it one of our features rather than our only way to score could be a decent attacking outlet as crossing with him, Ibra and Pogba in the box is surely terrifying for the opposition, especially if they can't focus on it because we have other ways to score through our more creative players.

Player Ratings

6.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 546 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wigan win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Man Utd 3:0 Wigan
  • 29% Man Utd 2:0 Wigan