FA L FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 March 2019

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
We peaked in Paris. That night was exactly what the atmosphere around the club had been building up to since December when Ole took charge.

So, afterwards, it's only natural that we were going to have a dip in form for a couple of games.

Nothing to worry about guys, we'll still get top 4 and have a decent chance of getting past Barcelona.
umm how do we beat barca when we can't beat Wolves or Arsenal?

Hughie77

Missed Lukaku as well, has the kind of player needed in a game, where we couldn't play through, needed his strength his power to bully up front didn't have it, no or little crosses as for the short corners 1 nearly worked that's it. Could see we wouldn't get a result after 1st half, running was non existant, Pogba made 2 breaks 2 yellow cards , he didn't do it after ??

Ole was right backward step, if we go there to Wolves in league in few weeks time there going to play the same way. So expect same result or draw, unless it's sorted out, basically I'd give them the ball.

Bestofthebest

Having watched the match again a couple of things come to mind, in addition to the fact we were very poor. First when Wolves passed the ball it appears the receiver was always either alone or only marked by one Utd player. For the reverse when we passed the ball, if it went to another Utd player they were usually surrounded by two or three Wolves players. This was particularly noticeable with Rashford and Pogba.

Secondly, the passing accuracy, control, and speed of movement by Wolves was far superior. It was noticeable that we were not pressing their players at all until they became a threat. Just as we did regularly under Mourinho. Why this was not addressed during the game is a mystery but I will be interested to see how we fair against Watford on Saturday as a much better response is required.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Clearly Ole was thinking of the Barca match. Unlike many he thinks we can go all the way in the CL.
To that effect he was trying to get injured players playing time....at the cost of the match at hand.
The problem goes to heart of squad depth. We have a clear first team that can beat any team when fully fit.
But immediately after that we lack quality. Players like Fred, McT and Andreas have improved under Ole. But they are not liek for like replacements against a team like Barca.
I'm sure these players could have done a good job v Wolves.

NFM

Having watched the match again a couple of things come to mind, in addition to the fact we were very poor. First when Wolves passed the ball it appears the receiver was always either alone or only marked by one Utd player. For the reverse when we passed the ball, if it went to another Utd player they were usually surrounded by two or three Wolves players. This was particularly noticeable with Rashford and Pogba.

Secondly, the passing accuracy, control, and speed of movement by Wolves was far superior. It was noticeable that we were not pressing their players at all until they became a threat. Just as we did regularly under Mourinho. Why this was not addressed during the game is a mystery but I will be interested to see how we fair against Watford on Saturday as a much better response is required.

Anustart89

Like I've said before, I think our failing was due to lack of physical fitness, and your observations seem to be in line with that. We didn't have the energy to press them or transition quickly into attack, which made our play look very Mourinho-esque.

The problem for me was that we had at least four players just coming back from injury (Martial, Lingard, Herrera, Matic), one that's looked half-injured since the Liverpool game (Rashford), and one that just can't combine with the rest of them if they're not making themselves available (Pogba). That pretty much leaves our back five to somehow do the job for the rest of the team.

Not sure what the answer to this problem is other than letting the players rest (and play) their way back into full match fitness, since the bench options hardly provide much in terms of speed and intensity. People were shouting for subs last night, but it's not like Mata or Pereira would've transformed us into a pressing, counter-attacking team considering their attributes, so I'm not really sure what they expected Ole to do.

In any case, the international break comes at a very opportune time.

NFM

The problem overall was lack of hard work, especially from Martial who is a lazy bugger. To beat a blanket defence the attackers need to continually run into spaces to allow passing opportunities. Two out of three doing it is not going to be enough. For most of the game Martial was like he had lead boots.

untitled_6899

We always looked vulnerable to the counter, our shape wasn’t right and there wasn’t enough pressing

ArjenIsM3

Clearly Ole was thinking of the Barca match. Unlike many he thinks we can go all the way in the CL.
To that effect he was trying to get injured players playing time....at the cost of the match at hand.
The problem goes to heart of squad depth. We have a clear first team that can beat any team when fully fit.
But immediately after that we lack quality. Players like Fred, McT and Andreas have improved under Ole. But they are not liek for like replacements against a team like Barca.
I'm sure these players could have done a good job v Wolves.
Ole's problem has been rushing back players from injury when they're not fully fit yet. Lingard, Matic, Martial.. all of them off the pace and all of them rushed back from injury. He's done it before (Lingard for example) too.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
The annoying thing is I won’t be surprised if Wolves lose to Burnley in their next game. They wanted it more than us, this was literally their cup final.

haram

The annoying thing is I won’t be surprised if Wolves lose to Burnley in their next game. They wanted it more than us, this was literally their cup final.
Well, not literally...

Sterling Archer

Absolutely. After beating Arsenal and Chelsea away to get here it's such a shame.

I'm also a bit surprised so many people care. Last season a place in the FA Cup final meant jack jack sh*t to many here. Apparently the FA cup is a second rate trophy. Maybe the players felt the same. Certainly played like it.

RedIan

Very disapppointing performance, the players should have been bang up for this and just were not.. Realistically our only chance of silver ware now gone and what a shame after beating chelsea and arsenal away to get here.
Several coming back from lengthy injury lay offs and they looked ring rusty - but im not sure what excuse the others can use.
Lets bounce back and get that top 4 spot. I cant see us getting passed barca tbh but never say never.
Come on Ole get them buzzing again.

BaseFishing

You do realise a game isn't equal to another game. That's like saying how can we beat Rennes when they beat Arsenal last week and Arsenal beat us.

It's called form. Sometimes you have days where you're completely off. Sometimes a couple weeks where you're completely off. And then you come back. I mean it happens literally all the time, so I'm not sure how you can even ask that question.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Ole's problem has been rushing back players from injury when they're not fully fit yet. Lingard, Matic, Martial.. all of them off the pace and all of them rushed back from injury. He's done it before (Lingard for example) too.
Yes. I agree with that.
McTominay for example played pretty well against PSG but Ole does favour Matic. Ok. Matic on top form may be better but we should all understand that few hit the ground running straight away following injury.
I do believe that he is a bit tunnel vision in thought process.

Let's hope that the last few games are not the shape of things to come.

Alabaster Codify7

Absolutely gutted. Not just with the result. Not just because our only chance of a trophy has passed, making this another wasted season.

But also with the completely apathetic performance I witnessed. I thought those days were gone. OGS needs to raise the mood and his game for the next one.

freddie the red

Only saving grace of an otherwise depressing footballing weekend was the rent boys choking at Goodison which meant they didn't climb above us.
We get dumped out of the cup without turning up, the bitters progressed with a diving, dodgy penalty and a clearly offside winner and now have a virtual bye to the trophy and the dippers ripped the cottagers a new one to go top.....thank god for the toffees!!
COYS!!

Red1968

Overall a terrible performance, totally different from the Arsenal game where we lost because of poor finishing and bad luck. In this game Wolves were just the better team and we acted like the FA cup was a nothing trophy. This game was as bad as the worst Mourinho game. No imagination, no energy, no chances for anything. I remember cringing when I saw that we had drawn Wolves for this round because they have been giant killers this season but then I thought surely our players have been paying attention and wont take them lightly. Instead we seemed surprised by their energy and confounded by their defensive game. It speaks to the arrogance of many of the players on our team to lose in that fashion to Wolves. Yes they were at home and yes they are a plucky bunch but we should be beating them 9/10 by multiple goals.

Zorica

Clearly, we are missing Lukaku. His power, presence and shooting accuracy were missed.

Zed 101

For once I am actually glad for the international break, players looking tired. For me Matic was particularly poor, too many players back in at once, none of whom have had chance to play their way back into form, would have liked to have seen a more gradual integration especially in the FA cup.

Wolves are no mugs, nulified us in the first half and waited until we over committed, but our last third play was woeful, no crosses everything overloaded down the left, need to smarten up, defo need so right sided tinkering in the summer.

Bestietom

Poor performance and we really missed Lukaku up front.

We need to get our midfield sorted for next season as well as a leader in the backline.

Kouibaly and Ndombele would be nice.

Extortioon

The biggest mistake is OGS going for 2 not fully fit midfield and pogba against 5 well drilled midfielder....

The best and worse side of Tactics used by OGS is becoming confusing of late

Gator Nate

Wolves have collected several top-6 scalps this season in both PL and FA Cup. They are closer than you might want to believe. They believe it, you can be certain.

I thought Ole made a mistake pulling McTominay and Fred off for returning injured players. But seriously, 11 guys can't get up for a Cup game? I don't lay that on Ole.

But, two teams I'm happy to not be right now: Chelsea and Tottenham. Chelsea laid an absolute egg against Everton at the entirely wrong time, and Spurs run of form has turned a 3-way race for one CL spot into a 4-way race for two.

As has been stated elsewhere, the international break is coming at an opportune time.

RedCurry

I don't quite understand how McTominay plays a near man-of-the-match performance against one of the biggest teams in Europe, where he might have ran more than any other United player this season to only be dropped as soon as Matic gets back to some sort of fitness. Our midfield had two players that were returning from injury and would obviously be rusty. It showed as well. If Pogba is doing donkey work for most of the game we literally have no one who is able to connect the midfield to the attack.

Josh 76

Absolutely. After beating Arsenal and Chelsea away to get here it's such a shame.

I'm also a bit surprised so many people care. Last season a place in the FA Cup final meant jack jack sh*t to many here. Apparently the FA cup is a second rate trophy. Maybe the players felt the same. Certainly played like it.
Your right about the FA cup. I forgot we were even in the Cup final last year. Klopp and Poch realise the cups are a waste of time. They just paper over the cracks.
I was more pissed off with the actual performance. Rather beat them in the league.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You do realise a game isn't equal to another game. That's like saying how can we beat Rennes when they beat Arsenal last week and Arsenal beat us.

It's called form. Sometimes you have days where you're completely off. Sometimes a couple weeks where you're completely off. And then you come back. I mean it happens literally all the time, so I'm not sure how you can even ask that question.
but maybe barca are just that "little bit better" than Wolves... or does that count or nothing?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Your right about the FA cup. I forgot we were even in the Cup final last year. Klopp and Poch realise the cups are a waste of time. They just paper over the cracks.
I was more pissed off with the actual performance. Rather beat them in the league.
I'd definitely take the three points over the cup (given we'd still have to face City in the final)... but we won't get any if we perform like that again

Oyibo

Ole and the team will surely have learnt some lessons from this defeat, for the league game back there in 2 weeks time.

Then all this negativity will be forgotten.

BaseFishing

but maybe barca are just that "little bit better" than Wolves... or does that count or nothing?
I'm not sure which part of 'We could beat Barca' you don't understand. I'm obviously not saying that if we were to play them 100 times, we'd win more than 50. We probably wouldn't win anywhere near that. But every day is different and that's the point. We CAN beat Barca, that's all I was saying.

Ironically, we're probably to Wolves, what Barca are in relation to us. As in the gap between us and Barca is probably similar to the gap between us and Wolves. And the Wolves game shows just that - the team who is slightly below always has a chance to win the game.

Jaae

Not ITK
What a ridiculously simplistic view of football that is. How did we beat PSG if we couldn't beat Burnley? Going off your inane logic...

We've beaten Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and PSG away from home in the last two months, and for the most part we've performed well as the underdog.

Our inability avoid defeat in the last two games counts for nothing in the Barcelona tie, just as our previous winning streak counted for nothing in the Arsenal/Wolves games.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Also happens when you don't manage the team well as with Mourinho.
I don't see how that is at all relevant now. Because Solksjaer cannot be accused of doing things like Mourinho or LVG. Yet performances like the one vs Wolves with a dead right flank, shaky defending and a lack of creativity are still popping up. As some of us have kept insisting they would under any one bar possibly Fergie himself.

Truth is. The only real reason most of our fans have any grounds for 'disappointment' after the Wolves tie is the utter miracle of results and performance Solksjaer has got out our imbalanced squad thus far. He has made us look 'capable' of achieving. But games like that Wolves tie to tend to show us the true state we are in. In terms of where Woodward's mostly incompetent decisions over the summer in concert with JMs horror management left us over the last 7 months.

We are in dire need of a top end DOF to handle recruitment. Preferably with Ole as long term manager.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

It's probably the first truly bad performance under OGS. At least with PSG (h) the injuries may have played the part but this one has zero excuses. The team played like they were more concerned about being fit to play Barca.

Still I'll take beating PSG in a CL tie with an injury hit team over beating Wolves in an FA Cup tie with a lot of our best team. The former is a much better result and resonates a shit ton more. Good luck to Wolves and I hope they win it.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
What a ridiculously simplistic view of football that is. How did we beat PSG if we couldn't beat Burnley? Going off your inane logic...

We've beaten Arsenal, Chelsea, Tottenham and PSG away from home in the last two months, and for the most part we've performed well as the underdog.

Our inability avoid defeat in the last two games counts for nothing in the Barcelona tie, just as our previous winning streak counted for nothing in the Arsenal/Wolves games.
talk about simplistic... so form means nothing and a team being far better than another has no impact?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm not sure which part of 'We could beat Barca' you don't understand. I'm obviously not saying that if we were to play them 100 times, we'd win more than 50. We probably wouldn't win anywhere near that. But every day is different and that's the point. We CAN beat Barca, that's all I was saying.

Ironically, we're probably to Wolves, what Barca are in relation to us. As in the gap between us and Barca is probably similar to the gap between us and Wolves. And the Wolves game shows just that - the team who is slightly below always has a chance to win the game.
well I certainly don't think the gap between us and Wolves is anything like you do. That's pretty much my point: we are fallen so far behind the elite group in the past few years (and before you mention PSG, I don't see them as elite either). and the problem with your argument is that it isn't one game: it's two. Of course, I hope to be wrong

TRUERED89

It's probably the first truly bad performance under OGS. At least with PSG (h) the injuries may have played the part but this one has zero excuses. The team played like they were more concerned about being fit to play Barca.

Still I'll take beating PSG in a CL tie with an injury hit team over beating Wolves in an FA Cup tie with a lot of our best team. The former is a much better result and resonates a shit ton more. Good luck to Wolves and I hope they win it.
Lets hope they're saving themselves for Barca then, because we need 110% from everyone during the two legs.

Also I'm a Wolves fan in the FA Cup now, anyone to win it but City..

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd