FA L FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 March 2019

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Yes, OGS Probably rushed the injured players back too soon and these injuries are most likely as a result of the fact OGS has us running around more than Mourinho did?

Seem to remember Klopp having a lot of injuries in his early days at Liverpool for similar reasons? Lot of hamstring pulls etc?

It is very likely. Things should improve with them training for a more high tempo style of play right from pre-season. They will be able to sustain it better.

Sing you a song

I have to agree. As much as I hate it but this time we need it. Hope it helps.
It would be if virtually everyone of our players weren’t going to be away on international duty playing 2 games in a week.
Some of them Rashford in particular would be better off on a beach for a few days.

reddevil80

Poor performances throughout. Thought Herrera was too anxious when on the ball and sent it backwards far too often, Matic looks totally out of sorts, Rashford should have been rested straight after the game where he picked up that ugly ankle injury as he looks a bit tender when running. Imo, the injured players have returned too early.

Still can't understand what people see with Pereira?? He tries to look busy and tries to rush the opponents and occasionally it works but when he does get the ball, he often gives it away and I am amazed he hasn't suffered a bad injury when trying to recover the ball.

We spent far too long trying to lull them into getting out of their shape but they were too clever for us. When the likes of Martial and Shaw tried to attack, their defenders and midfield were in quick and stuck to the player like a second skin, we were 2nd to everything and lacked urgency. Wolves stuck to their game plan and totally scuppered us.

FrenchRed

We looked knackered - be it the density of games, or the intensity of the PSG game, we didn't look at the races. We also had a lot of people coming back from injury. When you combine this with a relatively thin squad in the positions we actually need, this slight bump in the road wasn't unexpected for me. Tbh I'd put the lack of conditioning and the threadbare squad firmly on the shoulders of a Portuguese ex-manager - we'll be much better in these areas next season - the same happened down the m62 when Klopp started to play a much higher tempo game - it took a half season and a good preseason to get up to the required fitness.

Ole saw how SAF dealt with the bad games as well as the good, so I've no doubt that we'll bounce back to form.

One thing not to overlook was how good Wolves were. They passed the ball around super confidently, they looked fluent and un-phased. They were well drilled and coached, and have some real quality players - one or 2 I think we should look at for us! Fair play to them, they were the much better team on the day - you don't get 7th in the league by accident.

The better team on the night won, well played Wolves. From our point of view, there was just no energy in the performance; the players looked exhausted out there, as at Arsenal. We've had a huge amount of injuries, but last night a number of players returned. Wolves were first to every ball and played at a higher tempo.

The improvement we are going to need against Barcelona is enormous! We now have a two week break, which has come at the right time. Top four is vital.

alsabi

Assuming we don't win the CL (not holding my breath), I believe this would be the first time we've gone two seasons in a row without any trophy since 1989. 2013-14 & 2014-15 technically wouldn't count because of the Community Shield in 2013...

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Assuming we don't win the CL (not holding my breath), I believe this would be the first time we've gone two seasons in a row without any trophy since 1989. 2013-14 & 2014-15 technically wouldn't count because of the Community Shield in 2013...
That’s depressingly right.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Rather its been returning to its actual standard. The same terminal squad holes under previous managers will always rear their head when the entire 11 isn't in absolute top form. Like has been the last 2 games.

This is what happens when you through away an entire summer window as a chance to improve.
Also happens when you don't manage the team well as with Mourinho.

Nope. I'm behind Ole and believe he deserves a chance. However that statement is factual. This result and performance wasn't unexpected.

RedRotorhead

The players obviously want to save their strength for CL, and FA cup has less focus.

JG3001

You have to give Wolves credit as they were just far better on the day. However, as highlighted in the previous post, people need to remember this is still the same squad Mourinho had (and though it was a relief to see him go, and the mood lifted, he wasn’t wrong about the squad), too many average and overrated players, and realistically we need about 4 new signings (for starters) to begin correcting that. I’m worried about Pogba, the guy seems to have gone back to old ways, as in he plays only if he can be arsed. Shame that such a top player can be like that.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Depressing result. That's all I'm saying. Csnt believe it's international break next too. I'm avoiding all foottball for 2 weeks to clear the head.

Fitchett

Poor performance by us. But according to the BBC, we conceded five fouls and picked up five yellow cards, one of which would have been a red, if Atkinson had his way. In the meantime, Wolves conceded 12 fouls, but only picked up three yellow cards. Can someone please explain how that works out.

arthurka

The lads need to get back from Paris..
Been really flat since they miracle.
Really poor.

Cathy Ferguson

And we are one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world. It just shows how poorly managed we are on so many levels.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
And we are one of the biggest and richest clubs in the world. It just shows how poorly managed we are on so many levels.
Which then leads us to whether it has been the manager's fault for the recruitment or Ed? Is it both? So do we then let a manager who has never dealt with transfers at this level go it alone or let Ed help him, or really does he need a DOF to advise him? The route we take could get us back to greatness again or send us down into midtable.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Slept all night and saw the result. How did we play?

atomic keane

After watching that game I thought:

Matic was sluggish
Lingard and Martial look like being at about 60-65% fitness, neither was sharp
Herrara was average
Pogba was average
Rashford okish but also looks overworked and out of form

good we have an international break, we needed a breather, set the team up for the end of Season sprint!

Still lots to Play for, and big games coming!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not enough credit given to Wolves. They're very good off the ball and made it hard for us. Let's not forget they knocked out Liverpool as well.
Spot on. I thought that Wolverhampton played exactly as a good team should. They work very hard at keeping their shape and their passing and passion meant that we were just passing across the pitch without troubling them at all.

We rely too much on Pogba to create openings and the pace of Rashford.
Wolves marked Pogba brilliantly so cut off our supply to the forwards.
Our tactics didn't work yet we kept doing the same thing.

killerboi2

Wolves played better than us but the gap wasn't as big as being made out in my opinion. First half was a scrappy affair, not much chances for either team. 2nd half - both their goals preventable by us and i'd chalk our poor performance up to a few of our players coming back from injury all in the team at the same time. The whole thing is being overblown by some of our fans. It will be back to business at Watford and everyone will be singing Ole's praises again.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think Ole would take a bigger portion of my blame, if his hands hadn’t been tied. Anyone could see our tactics going forward weren’t working, but he was limited in what he could do since we had no attackers on the bench. We should still have tried to switch to some sort of plan B though, it was clear we weren’t getting through.

Without making excuses for Ole, it is interesting to note the only losses we’ve had under him have been more or less out of his control. The PSG game where our game plan went out the window due to injuries and lack of decent options available, and Arsenal where we executed the plan well enough, but just got unlucky at one end and couldn’t finish our dinner at the other.

tonnas

It was a horror show but lots of players coming back from injury looked rusty. Maybe OLE should not have played them all. A kick that we must move on a a good test for OLE now, lets see what is the reaction after 2 defeats!

Full bodied red

Poor performance by us. But according to the BBC, we conceded five fouls and picked up five yellow cards, one of which would have been a red, if Atkinson had his way. In the meantime, Wolves conceded 12 fouls, but only picked up three yellow cards. Can someone please explain how that works out.
Atkinson....Plenty of threads / posts on here about what happens to us when he's the ref.....

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think Ole would take a bigger portion of my blame, if his hands hadn’t been tied. Anyone could see our tactics going forward weren’t working, but he was limited in what he could do since we had no attackers on the bench. We should still have tried to switch to some sort of plan B though, it was clear we weren’t getting through.

Without making excuses for Ole, it is interesting to note the only losses we’ve had under him have been more or less out of his control. The PSG game where our game plan went out the window due to injuries and lack of decent options available, and Arsenal where we executed the plan well enough, but just got unlucky at one end and couldn’t finish our dinner at the other.
His squad rotation is minimal, a lot noticed this before the injuries. So the injuries are maybe due to this and could have been avoided. Certainly muscular injuries.

wolvored

We had a lot of possession especially first half. Second half we tailed off and they broke a few times and scored twice. Romero also was the busier of the keepers pulling off a couple of De Geaesque saves. We scored and only had 2 shots on target all night. Very poor.

wolvored

Atkinson....Plenty of threads / posts on here about what happens to us when he's the ref.....
You cant blame the result on the ref though. We could pick a pro ref and it would still have been the same. We also got a red card rescinded by him as well. Doesnt the ref have to ask for VAR?

Full bodied red

Agreed....Not Atkinson's fault we lost last night....We were bloody useless.

But five fouls = five cards ???

And IF it was him who asked for the VAR ( which I'm not too sure it was ) then maybe he should ask BEFORE showing the red card.

He's a hugely over-rated referee with a bias against us.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
His squad rotation is minimal, a lot noticed this before the injuries. So the injuries are maybe due to this and could have been avoided. Certainly muscular injuries.
It surely has a lot to do with it, I’ve said as much as well. But as he said himself, we need to get used to running again, and it might as well be now than pre-season.

redmanx

Half the team was just back from injury. We lacked the intensity in the final third and after 50-60 mins we started to seriously tire. Nothing major.
A blip, Wolves played well, theyre a better team than many give them credit for. We need to bring in new faces, especially in defence and midfield, Matic seems to have passed his sell by date while Smalling still fails to inspire confidence, good on his day but always liable to make a catastrophic cock up. Now we concentrate on a top 4 PL finish, any progress in CL will be a bounus; I just hope City don't emulate us with the treble, or worse, the quadruple!

BaseFishing

We peaked in Paris. That night was exactly what the atmosphere around the club had been building up to since December when Ole took charge.

So, afterwards, it's only natural that we were going to have a dip in form for a couple of games.

Nothing to worry about guys, we'll still get top 4 and have a decent chance of getting past Barcelona.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
Not a match to remember. Wolves impressed. They were patient without the ball, and quick with it. Perhaps one or two of those in yellow yesterday could be wearing red next year?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Half the team was just back from injury. We lacked the intensity in the final third and after 50-60 mins we started to seriously tire. Nothing major.
Aye. I just hope Ole is ready to tell the international managers to keep their hands to themselves, we need ice baths and rest all round to prepare for the run-in.

poleglass red

pogba has been awful last 2 games. problem with him is hes either good or bad, theres no middle ground with him. as much as we say weve no other options wed have been better a man down.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Come on. 'mental hell'. ???

Have you seen what's going on in the world?

We have a limited squad ok. Ole and his staff are learning a lot, and in many ways this may be a good thing.

Too much, far too much is dependent on Pogba. He needs other 'star' players around him. We need other star players around him. Genuine, sincere attacking quality , ball-players, players with personality, prescence, who can mix and apply that individual brilliance within a team environment... consistently.

Ole is getting the best out of the squad, but this summer will be interesting and important for the club.

Also be interesting to see how Ole responds to these recent results... It shows a sloppy side to our game.
Totally agree with your long term analysis. Not inconsistent with what I'm saying about short term.

Hughie77

No energy no urgency, poor attitude, some players heads are still in Paris? Wolves set up to frustrate and that's what they did, deserved win for Wolves. If this us how where going to play against sides that want to defend and hit on break, we have to be better much much better. But don't think that was the issue last night, to many players thinking about what's coming up instead of the game in front of them?

Getting that result in Paris has put the wrong mindset into some.

peridigm

Shambolic. Worst performance under Ole. We had a few chances, I think. I honestly can't remember them, it was a dull, boring match for the first half. Pogba anonymous. Lingard moved all over the place like a chicken but did nothing. Martial dribbled at players 1000 times but got past his man once or twice. Matic slow and labored as usual. Rashford scored in stoppage as a consolation but did feck all the previous 90'. Ole made his subs too late again. Romero had at least 2 fantastic saves that kept us in it when it was 0-0. Conceded a penalty for their 2nd. Some say it was a dive and some say Lingard go part of the ball. I don't see it and think it was correctly given. Weird situation late in 2nd half where Lindelof came in with a clattering tackle and received a straight red. VAR reviewed and the card was rescinded and a yellow given. I was 50/50 and was not surprised a red was shown. Wolves fully deserved the win.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I'm afraid we seem to have taken the PSG win as winning an actual cup or title. It may prove to be the high point of the season - we celebrated far too much. I recall Liverpool doing the same sort of thing in all the years we were the dominant fore in England Can you imagine what SAF what have done if we did that and then played as we have since? We were as poor as at any time under Jose.

For so long, I laughed at Leeds and Liverpool going for ex players as their manager. Now we look to be making the same mistake. I'm sticking with my desire to want Allegri in charge although I don't want to see Phelan and McKenna go and I love Ole as I would a brother.

I think the Wolves game showed just how far behind Liverpool and City we have fallen. Too many "very ordinary" players rather than great ones or world-class stars. I've had enough of Pogba. Yet again in a big game, he failed to even show up let alone dominate. feck him. He can go. SAF was right to see the clown in him - a modern-day Paul Ince (but not as passionate). Martial was anonymous, Lingard too. Rashford needs a rest and is not yet ready to lead the line for 90 minutes. And for the billioneth time, I say we need a top top winger and a world-class player in centre midfield (a Modric of two years ago).

Address none of these, and we'll be talking the same way this time next year

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd