FA L FA Cup Quarter-Finals

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 16 March 2019

superdry

touched by a genius
Blaming Romero is a joke.... very very poor outfielders was our problem.... fecking shite

ash_86

It was like playing against ourselves. We got a taste of ourselves .

Carl S Bridge

I believe our problem is as simple as this;
Too many people move towards the ball. We need people to run behind the defense.

Zlatattack

Well the honeymoon is over. Hopefully the international break will give people time to get match fit, Ole is going to face a different sort of challenge now. I wonder if there is some doubt creeping into players minds now after a couple of defeats?

I watched the match and we had no spark. I think it just highlighted the lack of creativity in our squad. It's something we should address in the transfer market.

Canagel

Weve had like 4 or 5 worst ones against worse teams than Wolves under Mourinho in the first half of the season. Relax.
its very easy to know who are the mourinho supporters by their reactions. anyone claiming this is worse than certain games in September, November, December is confused.

El Zoido

Blaming Romero is a joke.... very very poor outfielders was our problem.... fecking shite
He was definitely at fault for the second goal but you really can’t blame him for the defeat. He’d already pulled off a couple of top saves even before this, you can’t keep asking your goalkeeper to salvage a result.

Whiteside '85

And by the end of the season there might be too many bad results to categorize it the opposite way :wenger: .
:wenger::wenger::wenger:
I know it's a precarious situation... But it's on Mourinho...

Some perspective... 3 bad results out of 19 (1 loss).... I don't count PSG first leg... and the Ole doubters are out in force. That's half a league season. On that form we'd be knocking on City's door.

It's hard to take for Utd fans 4th place being our only aim. And having to watch that lot going for everything. But even 4th place seemed an impossible mission back in December.
One league loss at the Emirates plunging us back into despair is also on Mourinho.

Ole for the job, even if he doesn't get us there this season. Anything else would be harsh. I'm gonna say to abandon Ole would be ridiculous and a step back.

Yeah this might come back to haunt me but I still believe that Utd'll get it done. Fell free to remind me if I'm wrong.

We all know that the FA cup means little for our needs, cast this one off. Oh and fair fecks to Wolves, a very strong performance best of luck to them. I hope they go all the way. :)

Full bodied red

Bloody awful tonight.

Defense was leaky ; midfield non-existant ; and the forwards, individually and collectively, as bad as I've seen for years.

On the bright side, we won't be, can't be, as bad as this again for another couple of years.

Tuesday 02.04 we play them again at their place. Surprisingly good as thay have been this year and surprising shitty as we have been too often this year, there is absolutely no way, Jose, that we will play them three times in the season and NOT beat them at least once.

You heard it first here.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
They're tired. It's been an emotional roller coaster. It will be very interesting to see what happens next.

gr3yham3

Somehow I am not surprised at the loss. Given our tough run of fixtures recently and in the FA cup (thanks FA for the "kind" draws), this blip had to happen sooner or later. To me, it's already a miracle that we are in top 4 contention, FA cup quarters and UCL quarters when looking at our situation back in December. Our players look tired and leggy, and hopefully they can take international break as a chance to recharge some batteries and gear up for the next couple of months and finish on a high. Pretty sure that when we play Wolves again in the league, it will be a different outcome.

Sterling Archer

They're tired. It's been an emotional roller coaster. It will be very interesting to see what happens next.
Agree with the first part not second. Tiredness has been evident for a few games even before the injuries all hit at once. As for emotions, I'm guessing you're talking about PSG
People should put emotions aside and realise the PSG was somewhat of a fluke. They gifted us a goal and we got a speculative penalty. You simply can't expect to have 4 shots on goal and score 3 times going forward. We're a side that needs a lot of work done and many of these players aren't good enough
It was more of a fluke than Wolves beating us, that's for sure.

The last has emphasized the need to rebuild key aspects of the squad. Ole must stay, however.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Agree with the first part not second. Tiredness has been evident for a few games even before the injuries all hit at once. As for emotions, I'm guessing you're talking about PSG
The whole thing. Jose taking them to mental hell then getting sacked. The whole Ole run. Then PSG. I can't imagine what it's like to be in that roller coaster.

Whiteside '85

"It's hard to take for Utd fans 4th place being our only aim. And having to watch that lot going for everything."

My apologies to all. Temporarily lost faith in the Champions League after being done by Wolverhampton Wanderers.

But it's 57 minutes later and the optimism is back. Let's crush them Catalans... :smirk::D:wenger::)

Jeffthered

The whole thing. Jose taking them to mental hell then getting sacked. The whole Ole run. Then PSG. I can't imagine what it's like to be in that roller coaster.
Come on. 'mental hell'. ???

Have you seen what's going on in the world?

We have a limited squad ok. Ole and his staff are learning a lot, and in many ways this may be a good thing.

Too much, far too much is dependent on Pogba. He needs other 'star' players around him. We need other star players around him. Genuine, sincere attacking quality , ball-players, players with personality, prescence, who can mix and apply that individual brilliance within a team environment... consistently.

Ole is getting the best out of the squad, but this summer will be interesting and important for the club.

Also be interesting to see how Ole responds to these recent results... It shows a sloppy side to our game.

ghagua

Bad results happen, but this was a pitiful performance from a team filled with multi million pound of talents all over the pitch. Ole needs to sit down this summer and start planning a midfield that does not shite itself every time an opposition player comes in view, also a couple of players who can put in a tackle once in a while.

Marcus

I think Ole just wanted his players returning from injury to get game time in a lower priority competition.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Such a shite gutless performance.
I remember going to the far more intimidating Molineaux in 76 when nothing was going to stop us such was our determination & passion to win.
None of that evident tonight .Pogba once again was a joke.
Roy, Scholes & Robbo were
Ten times the player that preening fool is.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Really terrible peformance. Our football has sadly been regressing under Ole.

Run_time_error

A tired looking performance all round. I know Martial is just back from injury but he didn't look up for it at all. Dalot disappointed me too as he's been going so well but this time he wasn't sure what his job was I reckon.

Where was VAR when you need it but shouldn't take anything away from Wolves, they earned it. Time for Ole and his team to bang a few heads together. Oh, and just for your entertainment, I absolutely never leave before the final whistle but today, watching on TV, I turned it off about 30 seconds before Rashford's goal - bugger!

Last edited by a moderator:

Dash247

May be loosing was the plan. So we could focus on more important games. I think if Swansea had won today, we would’ve performed better. Idk. Just a weird theory that I have.

DSG

This performance reminded me of the LVG and Jose teams... afraid to lose.

We weren’t brave, and we need that captain that can motivate us on the field to dig deep, despite your poor play.

Honestly, we never looked likely to score.

Unhappy, but we need a rest and we need a reset.

Wolves played their game and deserved the win.

We were wasteful time and again.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Really terrible peformance. Our football has sadly been regressing under Ole.
Rather its been returning to its actual standard. The same terminal squad holes under previous managers will always rear their head when the entire 11 isn't in absolute top form. Like has been the last 2 games.

This is what happens when you through away an entire summer window as a chance to improve.

Mike Oxard

Supports
City
Chin up lads. The FA Cup is always a bit of a lottery and we were second best today. These things happen. Personally, I’d written this season off last December, so to be in the QF of the Champions League is a bonus. Yes, we’ll most likely get hammered, yes, City look like they may well sweep the board and if they don’t, it will be Liverpool who stop them, however, we have great cause for optimism. Give Solksjaer the job, keep Phelan there, make 4 key signings (which may mean selling some players that we don’t want to - like DeGea), and I think this time next year we’ll be comfortably top 4 and be capable of taking at least one of the domestic cups. The season after that, we should make a real challenge.

waza7111

When they scored the first goal, I knew it would be very difficult for us to get back in it. We always struggle against teams that park the bus especially with 5 at the back as Wolves had. Against those teams you need to have quick accurate passing, excellent touch/control and movement off the ball and we had none of that.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We played poorly but we have to over it. Big 10 games plus to come. It happens. I have faith.

Treble

If one didn't know that Jose had left, he wouldn't have guessed from that game that it did happen. Unstable in defence and uncreative in attack. But that's only one game and it proves nothing. Thought we played well vs Arsenal. The psychological benefits from those big wins away from home are over though. The difficult part starts now.

Slamar85

We need four or five new signings this summer : Cb, rb, cm/cam and rw. We don't have 4 or 5 world class players like real, barca, psg, bayern, juve, city and liverpool. That is a fact. Psg win was a fluke if we are being realistic. It will take at least another year of rebuilding until we are title contenders and legitimate threat in Europe.

Kevin_

Blessing in disguise the result and the international break.
We rest and move on to bigger games, I truly believe we can get something from the Barca tie really looking forward to it

Last edited by a moderator:

simplyared

I think much of yesterday's performance is down to Pogba. May seem strange to put the blame on one player but I'm standing by that. He's our key player and engine room and when he's continually misfiring as he was yesterday the team play badly and we're better off without him. Never known a player who can blow so hot and yet so cold!

Ekeke

Wolves play with a hard working midfield that are hard to break down and get at the CBs. Their midfielders also have the ability to start moves and find killer passes, as Moutinho has 7 assists as well as averaging over 3 tackles a game.

I think it can be argued that under Ole our strength has been our midfield with Matic improving and Ander and Pogba putting in match winning performances.

Well today they had very little space, were constantly in a battle with Wolves players and there were very few avenues through the middle. We needed to go wide and stretch their midfield and also test Coady and the CBs in the air which we didnt do.

Instead we played with no width, with the diamond. And the width we did have came from the fullbacks who were then out of position if the move broke down so that suited Wolves. Both our fullbacks average position ended up further forward than any of our midfield including Pogba. So that would leave Matic, Ander, Smalling and Lindelof (our deepest player) to deal with counter attacks. And thats assuming that when we lose the ball Matic and Ander are behind the ball. But thats not always the case. Both of them averaged a position just over the halfway line no more than 2 yards behind Pogba.

In the end Wolves had the 4 players with the most tackles on the pitch and 3 players who attempted 4 shots each.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Very disappointing. Selection wrong. Too many players forced in. Martial looks out of sorts as does Lingard AND Matic and Herrera. Why play all returning players all at once? Bit amateur that. May as well have gone with Fred and McTominay as they are on song but we threw everyone in and we looked dog shite
Players coming back from injury used to have a couple of games in the reserves to get up to pace. The way they do it now is throw them straight back in at the deep end and risk them getting another injury. It is not ideal at all.

moodyred

Poor poor performance from almost every player. Romero perhaps could have done better with the 2nd goal but he had already done well saving a few earlier.

We need to turn around this poor form soon.

reddaz71

We parked the bus, Ole at the wheel with the handbrake on, but predictably he's untouchable, any other manager gets hammered for that non show last night.....

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Like not interviewing managers after a loss and expecting a rational interview. Maybe these threads shouldn't be opened until the next day. Just give us time to sleep on it.

kps88

Not enough credit given to Wolves. They're very good off the ball and made it hard for us. Let's not forget they knocked out Liverpool as well.

Strachans Cigar

Yes, OGS Probably rushed the injured players back too soon and these injuries are most likely as a result of the fact OGS has us running around more than Mourinho did?

Seem to remember Klopp having a lot of injuries in his early days at Liverpool for similar reasons? Lot of hamstring pulls etc?

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 335 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 30% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 17% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd