PL L FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 02 April 2019

Johnbouche

I was extremely disappointed last night but there are some positives to take from this performance.

Firstly we had chances and a lot of good chances. It was down to the individuals who didnt take them but we had plenty of shots and the keeper made some good saves. Under Mourinho we would have a quarter of the number of shots. This tells me the tactics weren't wrong....so Ole for me got it right.

Wolves hardly had a shot but got two goals from individual errors and the sending off really changed the game as we were well on top at that point.

Thought Fred ran the game for the first 20 mins, he looked great and everything good was going through him. His mistake for the goal knocked his confidence and the ball stopped flowing through him after that. There is a player there, just needs to kick on and get some game time.

Mctominay proved there is more to his game than just sitting deep and breaking up play.

We really lack a an attacking midfield player who can unlock a defense and run at people from deep but combined with that the front players need to move, make runs find space. To often we have the ball in midfield and there is no one free to pass ahead to and the long ball over the top was just giving the ball back to them.

Pogba needs to go for me......he is a virus and epitomizes everything that is wrong with Utd. We need players with drive and heart who no matter what if there having a bad game of not they give 100%.

john moran

I am worried. If we believe everything in the press we could lose this summer:

De Gea
Pogba
Herrera
Mata.

Then we have those expected to be sold or released:

Darmian
Rojo
Valencia
Bailly
Sanchez

We then have the following who are just not up to standard:

Fred
Young
Smalling
Jones
Matic

Thats 14 players. Now i am not saying all will go but there is a balancing act of epic proportions that needs undertaking, through sales, youth team promotions and then benching dross. We then have to makes strides in glaring areas such as CB, RB , RW and potentially a CF plus at least one central midfielder.

This is down to Woodward and mis management of funds and giving long contracts to players not fit to wear the shirt.

We are talking a minimum of Solksjaers 3 year tenure before we are anywhere near challenging the best again, Woodward has played a blinder in one sense knowing Ole wont upset the apple cart and the fans called for his appointment so he frees himself of blame.

If we don't get someone in to release Woodward of transfer duties then we could be talking a Liverpool or Arsenal style fall from grace.
You could probably add Lingard and Shaw to the not up to standard list , at least not up to the standard of a top European club if that is what we want to be anymore .

Bob H from Manchester

Arguing with another member
I hope that’s an ironic post or you’re a City fan
Did you even see the game?

So then, how old are you 'iniGo, and why would someone like you who's never even visited Trafford have the cheek to accuse me of being a city fan?
I'm not annoyed at you personally because you're obviously a little child who's got excited and feels she can throw insults about from behind the safety of a keyboard.

However, in general, I must say that I'm sick of children like you getting stupidly giddy with excitement about how great we are even if we're outplayed and only get to win by refereeing errors and outragious good fortune (a la PSG) and those same children, like you, are equally annoying when they scream and bleat about how shite we are when we've dominated a good side away from home, when we should have been 3 goals up by halftime (were it not for incredible bad luck), and when we were clearly the better side by a fair margin even when down to 10 men.

If you actually go back and watch the game you'll understand a bit better perhaps?

In short; I hold by my view that Ole got it right last night, that we were by far the better side, that we worked harder and played better and had better tactics than wolves (which is a compliment to us) but that we lost through shear bad fortune.
Being positive about how we played against wolves does not make me a city fan . . can you grasp that?
Also remember that "shit happens" do they say that in your country??

Member 113277

Agreed

We also need to get contacts sorted out . Most people have listed Young , Smalling , Fred and the usual suspects for our defeat last night but I think that a goalkeeper with his head somewhere between Paris and Madrid and his body anywhere but where there was boots flying was the real culprit .
A very good point. DDG has not been up to his usual (fab) standards, this season.

Hughes35

You know, and it is rather a worry, you may be right.

Our good players, all seem to be at a level below what is required. Look at players like Shaw. Lukaku. Martial. Lindgard. Lindeholf. Dalot.

How good are they? Would any of them get into, I mean starting XI, of any top sides in Europe?
For me, these are all players that would get in as starters at some top teams but that is because the top teams all have at least 6 top players. The players mentioned above are good enough to be the "other" players in the team. Shaw is as good as Delph for example, Martial as good as Bernardeschi etc but we do not players like Aguero, Ronaldo, De Bryne, Dybala and Silva to make up the other positions.

Basically our best starters are as good as top teams worst starters. And to be honest that's not even looking at somebody like Barcelona, where I doubt a single one of our players gets into their first 11. Lindelhof and Rashford are probably closest to Suarez and Pique and that's only because the latter two players are ageing and I'm a Utd fan.

I really do believe we are absolutely miles away from really competing. From a pure football point of view, a Saudi takeover is probably the best option. We're realistically 500 million Pound away from being serious again.

oz insomniac

Who the heck does the negotiating for signings and extensions, looking at the roster there's an awful lot wrong with players being extended on ridiculous wages and similarly signings on overs.

That alone makes it extremely difficult to move players on, crucial to the future is shedding the fairly obvious targets who are below squad level at our competitors. Woody and his offsiders, dear oh dear, how they have continued to stuff up the club is legendary

Maticmaker

Its ironic that in previous games we have been slow to start, surrendering the first twenty, twenty five minutes, then gradually getting better. Last night however we did exactly the opposite, we 'bossed' the first part of the game, should have been three up at least, after twenty minutes, then we made one mistake and we all went to jelly.

McTominay is getting better with every game, we definitely missed Rashford, his speed and his 'daring -do,' up front. Most of all we lacked understanding, Ole's right when he says we need to work on things and 'drill' as a team, Wolves make that there USP and once again last showed up our inability to think and act in any kind of sustained formation under pressure and in attacking terms anything other than to take it wide, but only up to the box and/or long balls down the middle.

Their first goal was a classic, 'banana-skin' situation, having played the ball to Fred and got it back, De Gea then does the same trick again with Fred, who was holding both arms out pleading with him not to play him in. Fred has proved vulnerable to receiving the ball on the turn, Wolves knew that and 'hunted him down' (like real Wolves) throughout, and in those situations in particular. If the opposition knows that about Fred's game, then how come our own goalkeeper doesn't?

Ole's got a big job on his hands now and he knows the honeymoons over. I like how he's still trying to be honest in post match interviews, without castigating the players; the only concern was when he said it was "a good performance, but without an end product". At United surely good or bad performances always need to end 'with a product'?

AJ10

Its ironic that in previous games we have been slow to start, surrendering the first twenty, twenty five minutes, then gradually getting better. Last night however we did exactly the opposite, we 'bossed' the first part of the game, should have been three up at least, after twenty minutes, then we made one mistake and we all went to jelly.

McTominay is getting better with every game, we definitely missed Rashford, his speed and his 'daring -do,' up front. Most of all we lacked understanding, Ole's right when he says we need to work on things and 'drill' as a team, Wolves make that there USP and once again last showed up our inability to think and act in any kind of sustained formation under pressure and in attacking terms anything other than to take it wide, but only up to the box and/or long balls down the middle.

Their first goal was a classic, 'banana-skin' situation, having played the ball to Fred and got it back, De Gea then does the same trick again with Fred, who was holding both arms out pleading with him not to play him in. Fred has proved vulnerable to receiving the ball on the turn, Wolves knew that and 'hunted him down' (like real Wolves) throughout, and in those situations in particular. If the opposition knows that about Fred's game, then how come our own goalkeeper doesn't?

Ole's got a big job on his hands now and he knows the honeymoons over. I like how he's still trying to be honest in post match interviews, without castigating the players; the only concern was when he said it was "a good performance, but without an end product". At United surely good or bad performances always need to end 'with a product'?
Hunted him down? :lol: He couldn't control a simple ball and allowed a player who was 10 yards away to get the ball, had he controlled that he would of had enough time to pick a pass.

That last part......Seriously? We had plenty of games under fergie where we battered the opposition without scoring a goal.

F miah

At the top level if you don’t take your chances you will pay for your mistakes..

Hard to see Utd finishing in the top four, we got the hardest run in.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Did you even see the game?

So then, how old are you 'iniGo, and why would someone like you who's never even visited Trafford have the cheek to accuse me of being a city fan?
I'm not annoyed at you personally because you're obviously a little child who's got excited and feels she can throw insults about from behind the safety of a keyboard.

However, in general, I must say that I'm sick of children like you getting stupidly giddy with excitement about how great we are even if we're outplayed and only get to win by refereeing errors and outragious good fortune (a la PSG) and those same children, like you, are equally annoying when they scream and bleat about how shite we are when we've dominated a good side away from home, when we should have been 3 goals up by halftime (were it not for incredible bad luck), and when we were clearly the better side by a fair margin even when down to 10 men.

If you actually go back and watch the game you'll understand a bit better perhaps?

In short; I hold by my view that Ole got it right last night, that we were by far the better side, that we worked harder and played better and had better tactics than wolves (which is a compliment to us) but that we lost through shear bad fortune.
Being positive about how we played against wolves does not make me a city fan . . can you grasp that?
Also remember that "shit happens" do they say that in your country??
I'm from Irlam mate!:lol:

Incredible bad luck??? Was there a balloon on the pitch

Last comment- A tad racist!

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Eriksen is a brilliant player and I'd much rather have him than Pogba. He's just in a dip of form. Then you've got Son, Dele-Alli, Kane etc. Spurs have a better core of players than we do, end of conference. Yours Spurs mates are propagandising so that we don't poach their treasures.
Hardly propaganda from very disillusioned and realistic fans.

And No, I wouldn't want Eriksen

Lookatu

This is brilliant.
Well done to those who want to sell the entire squad and reckon we have zero chance at top four because of it.
The negativity in here is fuel for every other fan that hates United.
Some of it is utter nonsense
Wolves are excellent at home, they've got a great manager and some absolute superstar footballers in the making.
I felt we were the better side until the red card and tactics were spot on.
Grow up and stop crying the rest of you, it was 3 points dropped, Spurs and Chelsea playing shockingly bad, arsenal are arsenal.
We will get top 4, toys back in the prams now please

Drz

Of our recent losses. This one sticks out more so for me. Because there were some decent performances in there for us.
McTominay was better than what Matic or Herrera have proposed lately.
Dalot can actually deliver on the right.
Fred despite his mistake had one his more decent games for us.
I enjoyed the first 30 minutes or so till we gave-up a goal and our heads and form dropped.
The second half, it felt as though we would be getting our heads up again only for our Captain, who was already having a nightmare of a game, just decided to f*ck it.

We talk about attitude, but Young's performance and attitude should have him stripped of the captaincy. I doubt Ole wants to rock the boat too much though before the season ends.
In hindsight the interim captaincy should have gone to DDG, as he is the only player that is irreplaceable unless injured.
I mostly feel sorry for the 3 players i mentionned above, because they are not regulars and a rather decent and competent showing from them was turned to waste by our more experienced players.

Pogba has been playing in a more withdrawn role since he was locked-out against PSG. Oddly Scott seemed the more advanced our midfielders, and Fred the most defensive.
Yet he was not a hindrance, just as he was not particularly helpful.

Then we come to Lukaku and Lingard. Both have their uses, I like both players. But they are just not of the required standard to be starting at a club aspiring to be competitive in the top third of their league.
Two of the more easier headers you can get in a game of football, wasted.

UnitedWeStandOne

I was extremely disappointed last night but there are some positives to take from this performance.

Firstly we had chances and a lot of good chances. It was down to the individuals who didnt take them but we had plenty of shots and the keeper made some good saves. Under Mourinho we would have a quarter of the number of shots. This tells me the tactics weren't wrong....so Ole for me got it right.

Wolves hardly had a shot but got two goals from individual errors and the sending off really changed the game as we were well on top at that point.

Thought Fred ran the game for the first 20 mins, he looked great and everything good was going through him. His mistake for the goal knocked his confidence and the ball stopped flowing through him after that. There is a player there, just needs to kick on and get some game time.

Mctominay proved there is more to his game than just sitting deep and breaking up play.

We really lack a an attacking midfield player who can unlock a defense and run at people from deep but combined with that the front players need to move, make runs find space. To often we have the ball in midfield and there is no one free to pass ahead to and the long ball over the top was just giving the ball back to them.

Pogba needs to go for me......he is a virus and epitomizes everything that is wrong with Utd. We need players with drive and heart who no matter what if there having a bad game of not they give 100%.
Good post, but I don't think we are ready to conclude on Pogba just yet. Too many emotions the past week. We all remember what this team can do when we over-perform as well as under-perform. Two weeks ago Pogba was the hero and the joke was on Jose. Many in here have gone from requiring 3-4 players next year to 4-9. Now if we get those 3-4 players in this summer, that can be enough to significantly increase our under-performing limit and Pogba will for sure follow the trend of the rest of the team.

However, if he continue to flirt with Madrid get him out asap.

cyril C

Which unfortunately is most teams these days.
Not as much as we do. Spurs handled Liverpool alright and only if they could converted their chances. We were pulled left and right and our defenders simply panic.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Sorry but since we beat PSG we've pretty much (apart from short periods at Arsenal), there's no difference between us now and when Jose was in charge. The reason? We've got the same ultra-ordinary players. I said it all through the winter months: the players need to take much o the blame. There's hardly a player I'd fight to keep based on the past 3-4 weeks and that even includes DDG who has looked totally disinterested sine his contract bollox cam up again. He was definitely weak at their second goal and not totally blameless for the first (although clearly Fred was worse). Only Lindelof and Scotty McT, and maybe Dalot, gave passable performances last night. Young should never play for the club again and the sooner we can con Madrid into taking the French version on Ince, he can bugger off for all I care. Ole was also at fault yesterday: everyone here could see Young was awful and he kept him on when it would have ben easy to bring on another midfielder and push dalot to full back. Too soft, too sentimental. We were as bad (after the first 20 mins) as we were in the cup defeat at Moulineux. I reckon fourth place has gone now unless Arsenal or Spurs slip up big time

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
This is brilliant.
Well done to those who want to sell the entire squad and reckon we have zero chance at top four because of it.
Wolves are excellent at home, they've got a great manager and some absolute superstar footballers in the making.
Grow up and stop crying the rest of you, it was 3 points dropped, Spurs and Chelsea playing shockingly bad, arsenal are arsenal.
no idea what game you were watching. from the moment we gave them the equaliser there was only one winner and it wasn't us. and our negativity has nothing to do with other teams or other fans

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.

Totally agree with last paragraph but the amount of abuse I got last night saying it.... well I suggest you buy a tin hat. I agree with quite also of the rest of your analysis too although I thought we resembled a Mourinho side in the second half and I actually feel sorry for Lukaku. Sometimes I can to Sky's tactics cam and he does make some good runs but quickly gets frustrated which is not a good trait. I think he'd be better with a strike partner as Ole had in his day (I think Hernandez would have prospered at United)

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
You could probably add Lingard and Shaw to the not up to standard list , at least not up to the standard of a top European club if that is what we want to be anymore .
I think Shaw (and Lindelof) have been our players of the season (of course, that might not be saying much in terms of elite clubs) but I think we really need to go into the transfer market big time. I realise it's not easy to rebuild a side in one window but we are so far off challenging the top sides at home and abroad...

passing-wind

Finishing outside the top 4 inevitably we will have to pay more to tempt players due to no European football.

So I cannot see how we are going to have a positive summer with transfer dealings, expecting top talent to come here without that attraction.

Just imagine negotiating when every player even dross like Herrera is using Sanchez situation to gain benefits. Imagine what a quality useful central midfielder would demand. There's also the risk that who solskjaer targets might not cut the mustard, I read that some of his signings for Cardiff were shocking.

Out of 3 managers in 6 years our recruitment has been a big issue, we keep giving managers the perogative along with Woodward. We are now repeating the same formula with Ole and somehow expecting a different result :houllier:.

We need a DOF

Dan600

no idea what game you were watching. from the moment we gave them the equaliser there was only one winner and it wasn't us. and our negativity has nothing to do with other teams or other fans

Immediately after the equaliser we were shaky. And Wolves had a 10 minute spell. Then we should have been 2-1 up on half time.

The second half we were completely in control again before Young decided to be a ****. Even down to 10 men we still had control and were creating chances. Before it was 2-1 with the own goal Wolves didn't have a single shot full stop. We had 10 men on the pitch for a chunk of that. They only created chances when they countered us as we pushed for an equaliser.

To suggest he's watching a different game is simply misleading. On any other given night we could have been 3 or 4-1 with the chances we created before they scored a second so it is just wrong to say there was only one winner after the equalizer.

Sure it was tactically naïve for us to be so aggressive, and we gave Wolves the opportunity to counter attack us.

However, I think Ole realised there was no difference between 1 point or 0 last night, the only decent result with regard to top 4 was to win.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
The game should have been put to bed in the first half. The first half tactics were IMO spot on and Dalot's inclusion clearly surprised Wolves. Jesse puts that header away (or just takes the ball down on the chest there was that much time!) and we win that comfortably. Up until the equaliser I thought we were superb.

The game obviously changed on Fred's mistake (not buying the narrative that De Gea is blame) which is a shame because Fred was doing well up to then. At 1-1 what we lacked is a leader to settle the players down because if we went out in the 2nd half with a similar approach to the 1st we would have won IMO. Unfortunately our leader/captain completely let us down with 2 needless yellows (no complaints there even if I can't stand Mike Dean).

The frustrating thing is, we caught Wolves on a fairly average day but just like the Arsenal game if you don't take your chances then you're asking for trouble.

Side note: worst away I've ever attended and that is largely down to the layout of the away end at Molineux - no roof and spread out across the length of the pitch meant we had our end singing one song whilst the opposite end of the away section were singing something else. Bad night all round!

Revaulx

Hate to see our supposedly star players being invisible in a game where they should be the ones who grind us a result.
Me too. Yet people won’t admit it and just post long lists of “dross” they want to see “shipped out”.

The question is why they tend to disappear. Do we tend to be poor at identifying players’ mentality? Does the club make them feel too comfortable? I really have no idea.

It’s particularly distressing to see that DeGea seems to have joined their number.

john moran

I think Shaw (and Lindelof) have been our players of the season (of course, that might not be saying much in terms of elite clubs) but I think we really need to go into the transfer market big time. I realise it's not easy to rebuild a side in one window but we are so far off challenging the top sides at home and abroad...
We are , and there is nothing coming from the Glaziers that would make one think they are losing any sleep over it . A few seasons outside the champions league perhaps , but 4th place and they are happy bunnys

el3mel

Agree. Don't get those saying we played well. We started well but since the equalizer and through the entire second half it was clear we needed massive amount of luck if we were to win. With the lineup we ended the game with, I swear we could have been playing till now and we wouldn't have scored.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Can't help but to think the injuries vs Liverpool and the international breaks broke our momentum.

Shitting myself before the game against Barca. Whatever magic it was that Solskjaer used vs PSG I hope He'll use it again against Barca. The players need to step up again, They've been pathetic.

Jeffthered

This is brilliant.
There are some comments that are very reactive, I agree.. but some are a little more balanced. The squad does now look a little tired and lacking inspiration.. that honeymoon period was maybe just that. Ole's comments though have been superb.. 'we are a good team, and any team will find it difficult against us... ' for the remaining games of the season. I agree with that.

But what we are questioning is how good.. because the last few games have been poor. We missed (again..) some absolute sitters last night.. and the general play was disjointed and it makes you worry... I do anyway, because unless Rashford or Pogba really spark, we look awfully flat.

These recent performances tend to highlight the need for us to really review the quality we have. That's all.

RedDevil@84

Curtois having a mare , they will definitely be in for Degea they need as big a clear out as we do !!
They've still got Navas haven't they, and ZZ likes him.
I think Zidane mentioned something about having a fixed keeper for next season is a priority. If they want to complete with Barca, they need a top keeper and Courtois is not that. They have already given up on Navas.

Moriarty

I think Zidane mentioned something about having a fixed keeper for next season is a priority. If they want to complete with Barca, they need a top keeper and Courtois is not that. They have already given up on Navas.
You reckon they'll try and get De Gea? Silly question I suppose. Perez probably promised Zidane the Earth and all it contains to come back.

Cladistics_Fan

Well, I might as well add my opinions on the match that was played last night. What can we say apart from well, Wolverhampton Wanderers; when faced with occasions to score; actually took their occasions and made them count. I think we can safely say that is it in a nutshell.

For the first 10 to 15 minutes of the first half, there really was only one team in it; Manchester United. I think most of us are convinced that Ole had sent out his team with an intention of not only scoring a goal early (which occurred of course) but building on that early lead and getting more. The attacking impetus was there for all to see. However, one quarter of a football match doesn't really tell the true story of the game. The 15 minute window was fruitful for us, with many occasions, however, when Patricio made a couple of outstanding saves, it was clear for all that to score again, we would need make sure it is a clean strike.

However, when bad luck happens to a team, it inspires the opposition and it gives them a clear kick up the backside. This is exactly what happened to Wolves last night. For the first 15 minutes, we were ok, with Shaw on the left, Young on the right, with Pogba, Fred and McTominay in the middle. With the goal that we scored, it only papered over the cracks that were pretty much evident during the game. Yes, we could have scored 2 or 3, but the cracks were still there.

I don't really want to single out any players because, either you win as a team, or you lose as a team however, when you have 3 at the back with Shaw/Young doing the leg work up and down the wing as laterals, then you need your midfield to help out too. This was the problem with us last night. Wolverhampton are an average side (I like them, but they are relatively average compared to the top 6) and there is no way we could ever compare their midfield to ours however, when one of our lateral defenders isn't playing well (Young), then there is one weak link within the system. Go further infield, McTominay was having a good game alongside Fred, who, apart from the slip (which happens to any footballer) did really well. Then we come to Paul Pogba, who I thought was the weakest of the those 3 aforementioned players.

Paul Pogba was up for it last night since this was a vital match which could make or break our season. It could mean either playing in the champions league or the Europa League. However, when I say he was up for it, his demeanor at the start was ok, but then once they managed to get a foot in the game and score their goal, it was like a switch went off. He was showing very little interest in the game, he totally ignored the basics of the game and just went for a couple of long passes just like Ashley Young, and when they didn't come off, this clearly affected his confidence. He is the jewel in the Manchester United crown, and every single player looks up to him to provide some sort of inspiration. If he is motivated, the whole team feels this motivation and it is great. However, as human beings, we are sensitive to other peoples emotions, and I am sure that, they knew he wasn't playing his natural game, thus it had a slight effect on their game too.

With that being said, the Wolves midfield knew exactly what to do; pressure Paul Pogba, mark him tightly, make sure he panics under stress and they kept at it. Once he went, there was no way our midfield was ever going to win that battle, and from then on, they just kept piling on the pressure in the first half. Could we have done more? Yes, there is only so much that McTominay/Fred could do, and they needed that 3rd person to be in that battle too but he went missing.

So, we go into the 2nd half and everything was going well, where we had our spell of domination, but there really weren't anything coming off. Young was out of sorts, McTominay trying his best, Smalling and Lindelhof who were out of sorts too. I don't really want to go into detail about the 2nd half otherwise I will be here all night.

To summarise, we have beaten better teams before with an attitude of playing until the 90th minute, but it was like we had given up once we scored the first goal, since we had 2 other easy chances behind it. That was not the case, and for a team fighting for the top 4, we needed to have done better and those players who think they are untouchable should be dropped for a game or two. Football is a serious business and, if Sir Alex had been the manager last night, I think a few football boots would have been thrown around the changing rooms.

Hughie77

Last night's result, pissed me off, not the performance, if only of pogba, he hasn't showed what we've seen of late.

We were the better side we were the dominant side for long periods, but the silly mistakes still happen , gifted a goal to bring them back into a game they were struggling in, bad, not the 1st time this has happened, Burnley at home 2 goals from cock ups, Southampton, at home again, we won that through great finishing.
Ole needs this new team because it is new, oles turned it into more attacking but hasn't found that balance of defence as well yet? Unlucky last night but still pissed off on how we've got ourselves into contention to let it slip. The need to be more clinical is now more than ever.

crossy1686

career ending
Last night was disappointing but I rest safe in the knowledge that there will be a response to these kinds of performances in the summer. Rome wasn't built in a day so I'm not expecting anything ground breaking but in all honesty, I wouldn't really mind if the whole squad was sold to fund another squad being built. That's how much I've had of this current lot, and I include our best players in that also.

I'm honestly not fussed who we lose in the summer. As long as Solskjær is backed and given time we'll be absolutely fine.

crossy1686

career ending
De Gea stalling on that contract, with performances like that we should be worried we won't be able to sell him for what we want if he doesn't resign.

RedDevil@84

You reckon they'll try and get De Gea?
Not necessarily De Gea. But with him being easily available (refusing to extend), there is a good opportunity for easy negotiation. And he is a high profile and Spain No 1 (despite being average for the NT)

Member 113277

The game should have been put to bed in the first half. The first half tactics were IMO spot on and Dalot's inclusion clearly surprised Wolves. Jesse puts that header away (or just takes the ball down on the chest there was that much time!) and we win that comfortably. Up until the equaliser I thought we were superb.

The game obviously changed on Fred's mistake (not buying the narrative that De Gea is blame) which is a shame because Fred was doing well up to then. At 1-1 what we lacked is a leader to settle the players down because if we went out in the 2nd half with a similar approach to the 1st we would have won IMO. Unfortunately our leader/captain completely let us down with 2 needless yellows (no complaints there even if I can't stand Mike Dean).
I agree completely with your first para, but split the blame for the equaliser between De Gea and Fred. Don't forget that De Gea threw the ball to Pereira in a similar position, which resulted in a goal.

Yes, Fred should have done better, but it just doesn't make sense to do the same thing twice and expect a different result (doffs cap to Einstein).

Reactions: Penna

Gator Nate

He was immense tonight! I know he's Scottish and the fanboys will want an attractive Spaniard but he really could be a player for us! The only player to give two fecks also!
Played hard the whole 90+ minutes! I love watching McT work.

It's funny to read through this and see that there are as many interpretations as there are people who watched it.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 401 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 28% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 14% Wolves 0:2 Man Utd