PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 1:0 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Post-match discussion

Tue, 29 December 2020

lex talionis

Pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Fantastic determination at the end of a match we dominated but couldn’t rattle the opponent’s cage.

We may now dream of a proper trophy run.

oz insomniac

Couple of noticeable things tonight .Rashford’s goal was assisted by Cavani’s constant movement inside the box which opened up the space for the shot on goal. It was Cavani’s constant pressing and moves which underlines what a real 9 does.

Martial came on and nothing epitomised his failing than getting the ball on the edge of the box with space to control and then shoot, but what does he do, tries a speccy shot before controlling the pass and it ends up 10 metres over the crossbar. Again potential is one thing , actually using it is another.

AWB has no confidence going forward and his passing is Valencia like, backwards to another defender ?

Matic when given time is a real DM, Pogba remains an enigma, someone with his speed and energy should do a whole lot more .

Not a bad performance, nor a good one, just enough to carve out a win late and maintain a decent league position.

dal

It’s funny how a win overpowers a shit performance.

Winners.

Alek M

Da manic one
Sais MOTM

Matic was excellent
Pogba played well
Bruno was Bruno
Bailly does things well and then makes some silly passes
Greenwood was invisible
Martial barely sprinted
DeGea was outstanding

Wolves are well organized. They didn’t give us much space on top of the box, could not do many runs toward the goal. Need to work on that.

always_hoping

Before any twat complains, remember that liverpool won the title by winning half their games like this last year.
Ridiculous the amount of late winners Liverpool have got in the last 2 years. I'd be a rich man if got a penny for every time I heard or read their supporters say they didn't play well but it's a sign of a good team when not playing well and winning late on.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Pogba and Matic are a good pair. Their balance resembles Scott and Fred

klayton88

Greenwood was invisible
Put one on a plate for Bruno and should have had an assist. Tracked back and won the ball back a few times. Far from his best game but to say he was invisible made me think you didn't watch the match.

Ace of Spades

Games during this period, we just need to win. All that matters, as usually teams are tired and fatigued a lot during this period.

Still, we deserved the win and we did. Was by no means an undeserved one.

Giggzy P

Nice way to end the year, 3 points and 2nd on the table.

Baily was outstanding, bailed out Harry who really struggled especially in the first half. We gave wolves to much space in the middle, Matic was dropping to deep, we were defending with a back five sometimes. I also don't think we play Matic, Pogba and Maguire in the same team, who like to spend time of the ball and are not the best and recovery.

gica_7

Wolves are a hard team to break, even more so with 5 at the back and 2 lightning quick forwards. I am really glad to get the win. Ok the performance was not great but can't expect that in this period. We also have to think that majority of our players have been playing non stop football for 6 months.

Get in!

Shiva87

I think so too. I like their manager but he must feel almost pathetic when you try so hard to not lose and do it anyways. I get that it might be the best way for them to play, but give it a go man jeez. He had them wasting time before half time:lol:
It really isn't the best way for them to play. They were much more expansive against Spurs and totally deserved their draw.

The piss off was how they chose to play against us. Literally their entire game plan was to give no space to United in the final third. We just had to resort to hopeful crosses from Telles, Bruno or Shaw. They are definitely a better team than that.

I'm happy that we were able to win ugly, because that's the only way we could have won this game. Wolves came with a clear intent to stop us, and see if they can get a lucky set piece or break away and win. Glad that we were able to beat them exactly that way, with a lucky finish.

It's a good sign that a team as good as Wolves play this way against us. Teams are clearly afraid of our attack now.

RashyForPM

It was a bit tumescent but against Wolves, a tumescent win was the best anyone could hope for. Brilliant quality and stamina at the end by Bruno and Rashford to create the goal, and a special mention to Maguire too. Small details by he showed the ambition I would want of a United captain by keeping the ball in and passing to Fernandes rather than letting the ball go out for our throw-in. Without that, the two star men can’t create the winning goal.

Well done Ole for bringing back the fighting spirit our club has been renowned for since the Busby Babes. Fergie may have won 1-8 against Forest in 98/99 and 4-0 against Pool in 02/03 amongst many other thrashings, but ask him and he will tell you that it was these types of ugly wins that won him all those titles. About this season, we’ll see :)

Longshanks

Wolves come to keep a clean sheet, 3 CB's and 2 Dm's who might aswell have been CB's it was hard work to break them down. The positive was matic, maguire and bailey shut down most of the wolves attacks before they got going and we kept trying, kept plugging away.

Not the best performance going forward lots of misplaced passes and it felt like we were trying to force it a bit to much in the second half looked destined for another 0-0 but the bad luck we got at leicester reversed tonight and we got the three points.

Beat villa on saturday and it makes the anfield game mouth watering.

Ibi Dreams

I truly hate playing this Wolves team. I like them otherwise, but why are they so hard to beat every damn time

norm87cro

It was smash and grab and we know it. Pleased despite that. They were wasting time. Matić did well

Banana Republic

People are underestimating Wolves and not appreciating that with Jimenez’s serious injury and having sold Jota, they had little choice but to set up the way they did.
Last night they were unlucky to concede so late in the game, with our lucky deflected goal, after they’d completed snuffed out and nullified all our attacks. With more firepower, they might have taken the points off us in that first half.

I‘m over the moon that we snatched the 3 points, but I feel sorry for Romain Saiss.
Voted MOTM but responsible for putting the ball in his own net for our lucky winner. He was immense against Spurs the other day too.

Eric's-collar

Yeah looked so much like we were going to open that door for the scousers to open up a 7 point lead, luckily we managed to find a bit of Park in 2010 late drama against Wolves and 3 HUGE points
Was at that match, another dull affair until Park popped up late on.

Judas

Open to offers
Waking up this morning and the victory feels even sweeter.

I hope the team knows that we can't afford to play that average against Villa because they will punish us, much better attacking team, although defensively don't think they've got the grit that Wolves do.

Relfy

Hugely frustrating game that, but delighted we got the 3 points. Winning ugly is a good trait to have when things aren't quite clicking. Onwards and upwards!

pav1790

Haven’t we got a better record against them than all the other top teams? Too lazy to check but far from being a bogey team, I think we’ve actually got their number.
Haven’t won against them in PL since their promotion until today, or yesterday depending on where you are. Only won in FA cup in replay. They have either won or drawn against us on all other occasions since 2018.

game raising cnuts.

cyberman

Haven’t we got a better record against them than all the other top teams? Too lazy to check but far from being a bogey team, I think we’ve actually got their number.
I think Liverpool has a 100 percent record against them since their investment era began.

Thepinhead

Great win. Wolves aren't getting enough criticism in my opinion. Such a boring way of playing football. They have been a top 8 team for a new years now and have spend quite enough money om players. There should be higher expectations to them now. Also, it is clear Coady is from Liverpool. Always so vocal and on fire playing against us. Heard him after the game as well talking about how they came to win every game. I bet they would be happy drawing all games of the season

amsoUG

Been a while since I dosed off while watching our game - not a fan of long balls.

Currently used to our forwards playing with the ball and imagination than hoofing it into the box and hoping for the best.

Rocknrolla69er

Any opinions on Pogbas performance?
First hour he was awful
Last 15/20 he looked pretty good

Watching him in the first hour his off ball movement was minimal.
Now is this due to Ole restricting him to what seems like the centre circle or is it a lack of motivation on Pogbas part?

The last 15/20 he played with a lot more adventure much further up the pitch, where the shackles taken off with regards to allowed to roam forward and join attacks?

I'm caught between calling Pogba a lazy twat, or wondering if Ole is quite defensive at times, does Ole just want Bruno as our sole central midfield attacking threat, until we're really chasing games?

JohnnyKills

Couple of noticeable things tonight .Rashford’s goal was assisted by Cavani’s constant movement inside the box which opened up the space for the shot on goal. It was Cavani’s constant pressing and moves which underlines what a real 9 does.

Martial came on and nothing epitomised his failing than getting the ball on the edge of the box with space to control and then shoot, but what does he do, tries a speccy shot before controlling the pass and it ends up 10 metres over the crossbar. Again potential is one thing , actually using it is another.

AWB has no confidence going forward and his passing is Valencia like, backwards to another defender ?

Matic when given time is a real DM, Pogba remains an enigma, someone with his speed and energy should do a whole lot more .

Not a bad performance, nor a good one, just enough to carve out a win late and maintain a decent league position.
This just sounds like lazy Martial-bashing to me.

Cavani hardly posed a threat all game. For all his movement, he couldn't get into it at all.

Martial didn't do much either but at least he challenged the defence with a couple of runs, and was trying to open them up with little give-and-gos.

I've been critical of Martial myself in other threads but let's keep it objective and reasonable.

Player Ratings

6.3 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 320 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 24% Man Utd 2:1 Wolves
  • 20% Man Utd 2:0 Wolves