PL W FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 February 2024

The Irish Connection

I was going to post about it pre match but didn’t, was happy that Antony wasn’t starting. Good decision by ten Hag.
But then he brought him on to play left wing and he nearly lost us the game.
Hope we can keep the starting lineup for the rest of the season.
but is Martinez injured again?

Wing Attack Plan R

Our first XI is head and shoulders above their stand-ins. The problem is some of those starters are barely at the level we need in order to mount any sort of realistic title challenge.

I like the effort Garnacho put in tonight but he's so wasteful and when you compare him to United wingers of the past, he's nowhere near them. Antony the less said the better, but Garnacho looks world class next to him.

We also need a 3rd choice CB who can rotate and play the same way Licha and Varane play. With Varane possibly departing in the summer we need 2 such players. What Maguire and Evans were both doing up on that corner that wolves countered and scored from is shameful.

Without Mainoo in the mix I'd say our midfield is in trouble. Bruno used to blow hot and cold, now it's tepid and cold. Casemiro is aging out, Eriksen is aging out, McT is not the right type of player.

Hopefully Jim brought his checkbook. We were a scrappy mid table side tonight. They aren't suddenly going to learn how to play more coherent football, we need upgrades - and fast.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Aside from everything else, it's just nice watching United being entertaining again.

freddie the red

Entertaining game with a great ending with Kobbie deciding he wasn't gonna put up with only leaving with a point.
Decent first half display but nearly fell apart in the second after that soft pen.
Missing chance after chance didn't help meaning dropped points was almost nailed on.
Great win!
Footnote...... Antony's has to be the most appalling cameo I've ever seen, absolutely shocking.

Belisarius

I seen it and I seen us miss chance after chance, which is why I say we never looked like we could win that game comfortably. We don't have it in us to kill teams off, we've only won one league game all season by more than a 1 goal margin, 1 win out of 11. And with the way we defend we were always going to concede, in our last game we got pegged back to 2-2 by a pub team.

So I'd have to ask what game were you watching where you seen an excellent perfromance and were confident we'd win comfortably. Because it wasn't the same game myself and a few friends just watched.
I never said I was confident we'd win comfortably. I said it was a good performance undone by poor finishing after you said it was a poor performance. If you re-read what you've written above, you seem to basically agree with me.

Robertd0803

Get in there.

Remember when every game vs Wolves was a dire 0-0 or worse? This seasons more than made up for it.

If we were even a tiny bit more clinical we would be seeing out games comfortably, the amount of straightforward final passes or shots we are messing up is beyond me.

Absolutley shocking that we threw away yet another lead and thank Christ for Mainoo. Absolute brilliance from him.

IRELANDUNITED

We are very, very far from being title contenders. If you mean "buy 7 new players in the summer" when you write "back the manager", then it sounds like you're on the piss or taking the piss.
Of course we are, at the minute. But last season we came 3rd in Erik’s first season and that was quite a good achievement.

This season has been more difficult, we haven’t performed as well as we would have hoped but we’ve also been riddled with injuries and the victims of umpteen awful refereeing decisions.

With Bobo the clown leaving Liverpool, Arsenal still being Arsenal and 115 Charges FC eventually going to run out of luck who’s to say that we can’t compete for a title next season. Get the right people in the right positions, make progress and who knows. If not next season we will definitely be contenders in the next 2/3 years, it depends on long long 115 Charges FC keep getting away with it really.

Lentwood

Something is badly wrong when we consistently concede goals from the most innocuous attacks under the most minimal pressure.

How we conceded three in that game tonight I will never know, all three so entirely avoidable.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not sure why people are saying our finishing was so poor, we scored 4 off of 2.8 xG and bagged two more that were offsides. Hojlund and Bruno missed chances that were notable but finishing was NOT our main issue today as much as losing control and a lack of defensive structure+ garbage subs was.

Belisarius

On the stream I was watching the announcer said in the first half that Wolves were the only team that had not given up a goal from a corner this season. I thought then that we would score one today. Enter McT.....

Valencia Shin Crosses

Something is badly wrong when we consistently concede goals from the most innocuous attacks under the most minimal pressure.

How we conceded three in that game tonight I will never know, all three so entirely avoidable.
When you aren't able to drill repetitive defensive structure into your team with a set of repeatable actions as a coach, you're going to struggle to see out games when under pressure. It's one of my biggest issues with Ten Hag as he seems incapable of it yet his in game management is pretty consistently conservative/negative. A more self aware manager would realize that his team isn't well organized defensively and compensate for that by looking to overload the midfield so that we don't lose as much control when trying to see out games. But nope, he keeps Bruno on with McT and takes off dangerous attackers and leaves us as a sloppy side with less threat in the final third. Recipe for conceding tons of late goals there.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Poor VAR decision. Amazing game. Quality goals. What a winner. Deserved… well done United.

Belisarius

Not sure why people are saying our finishing was so poor, we scored 4 off of 2.8 xG and bagged two more that were offsides. Hojlund and Bruno missed chances that were notable but finishing was NOT our main issue today as much as losing control and a lack of defensive structure+ garbage subs was.
The really bad misses I remember were Casemiro missing the net with an easy header from a Bruno free-kick. He also missed the net with a shot from just outside the box that had their keeper beaten. Bruno had a great chance where he took an extra touch and had the shot blocked. Hojlund had a couple as you said. There were a couple of others I don't remember at the moment.

But, part of finishing (as a team, not as a player) is making the last pass for the easy goal and we missed many excellent chances that way as well. In particular, Garnacho skying a pass when trying to cross to the left wing (Rashford or Hojlund, don't remember which) while on a breakaway. Then Bruno, skying another pass with his left foot while trying to pass across to Garnacho while on a break-away. The bad final passes may not make it into XG but they certainly qualify as poor finishing of opportunities from the point of view of the overall team.

Yanited__

It was beautiful.
Mainoo was just like ‘ nah lads, hold my beer’!

We deserved it overall. Tbh if we took our chances we would have been 4 up by half time.
Would have incredibly depressing if we drew that.
One of our best halves of football all season in the first.
Agree.

How this game wasn't 5/6-0, some really poor finishing. A lot of half chances as well with players who could've been played in. But then again, in a weird way, I would prefer this finish to the game. Fully deserved from us

Also, I've totally forgotten about that shambles of a decision. One of the worst this season. How they gave that (which nearly changed the game against us) is beyond me. Liverpool last night had 2 similar situations which weren't given. Diabolical decision

The Irish Connection

Agree.

How this game wasn't 5/6-0, some really poor finishing. A lot of half chances as well with players who could've been played in. But then again, in a weird way, I would prefer this finish to the game. Fully deserved from us

Also, I've totally forgotten about that shambles of a decision. One of the worst this season. How they gave that (which nearly changed the game against us) is beyond me. Liverpool last night had 2 similar situations which weren't given. Diabolical decision
Yeah, mad decision. But it seems the var don’t want to overrule the refs decision if there’s any contact, and there seemed to be a tiny one.

The finale is why I never turn off united games.

AndyMUFC

Fantastic game. First hour was the best we’ve played since Chelsea, Casemiro and Mainoo were working well together in midfield but we didn’t kill the game and then looked like we’d ballsed it up as usual this season.

But what a winner. And what a player Mainoo is.

Fts 74

Played really well for an hr, 2 up should've been at least 4.Shocking penalty decision but we make it 3-1 2 mins later and should see it out comfortably but no not us.Went from fuming to jumping around the house in the space of 2 minutes thanks to that brilliant goal from Mainoo.

Best we've looked for a long time but still tried our best to mess it up, I suppose that's why we love this club no one does drama quite like us!

Valencia Shin Crosses

The really bad misses I remember were Casemiro missing the net with an easy header from a Bruno free-kick. He also missed the net with a shot from just outside the box that had their keeper beaten. Bruno had a great chance where he took an extra touch and had the shot blocked. Hojlund had a couple as you said. There were a couple of others I don't remember at the moment.

But, part of finishing (as a team, not as a player) is making the last pass for the easy goal and we missed many excellent chances that way as well. In particular, Garnacho skying a pass when trying to cross to the left wing (Rashford or Hojlund, don't remember which) while on a breakaway. Then Bruno, skying another pass with his left foot while trying to pass across to Garnacho while on a break-away. The bad final passes may not make it into XG but they certainly qualify as poor finishing of opportunities from the point of view of the overall team.
Yeah the Bruno failed pass was glaring. Garnacho's was bad as well but at least he had to wrap it around a defender to a smaller area. Bruno had the entire field to work with in a 2v0 essentially.

BorisManUtd

So glad Mainoo proved me wrong in the end, it would've been a really poor result.

Great 1st half and could've been 3/4-0 up by HT. Started 2nd half good as well but afterwards kinda let Wolves get back into it. Thought McTominay won it for us with his goal but we really managed to feck it up again after that.

Next 4 games: West Ham (H), Villa (A), Luton (A), Fulham (H). All winnable and all losable, depending on which United team turns up. West Ham are 6th and Villa 5th so it's games against direct rivals for European spots.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Of course we are, at the minute. But last season we came 3rd in Erik’s first season and that was quite a good achievement.

This season has been more difficult, we haven’t performed as well as we would have hoped but we’ve also been riddled with injuries and the victims of umpteen awful refereeing decisions.

With Bobo the clown leaving Liverpool, Arsenal still being Arsenal and 115 Charges FC eventually going to run out of luck who’s to say that we can’t compete for a title next season. Get the right people in the right positions, make progress and who knows. If not next season we will definitely be contenders in the next 2/3 years, it depends on long long 115 Charges FC keep getting away with it really.
Yes. Next season will be interesting for sure. We need a couple great signings. We need Rashford to cop on, permanently. Might be interesting if the Scouse and Asterix City are having headaches, and things start clicking. Let’s support the boys anyway

always_hoping

Yes the xg stats most certainly didn't tell the full tale to how wasteful United was tonight. Not just with good chances created but also let good moves break down so easy.

laughtersassassin

So we all agree that 3rd goal was one of the stupidest things we've ever done?

Because feck me what idiotic team is whipping the ball in from a corner when we are in injury time.

Keep the team in shape and go short. No need to commit the whole squad forward and invite a counter attack. How in the world did they all think that was a good idea

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I said this a couple of months ago after looking at the pattern of the results. If we do score more than 2-3 goals we dont seem to be able to keep a clean sheet.

It seems like we either have to win the 1-0s or nothing. We cant score more than 2 goals in a game without being vulnerable -- and letting the opposition score. Its a very rare occasion that we do win 2-0 never mind 3-0.

Not sure who's to blame on this.

Maybe this is why we have such low scoring numbers. We are not trusted to be too attacking minded since we will only make ourselves vulnerable in the back.

Oranges038

Really enjoyed that game, well until it it went 3-3 and again at 4-3.

First half the play and football was lovely, incisive passing, good movement, and those patterns were more intricate than the finest lace. Some great examples of why Licha is so important in the build up phase, those quick precise passes through the lines are crucial to breaking the press.

Second half got a bit ropey, I think mostly because Casemiro was getting tired, never a penalty for me. Even a 2-1 & 3-1 there were some decent openings wasted.

Antony was truly awful, his inability to shield and hold onto the ball cost 1 if not 2 goals. The defending for their second was rubbish. But that setup for the corner on their third was mental, who the feck does that?

Great goal from Mainoo too win it, who doesn't love a last minute winner.

York

I’ve figured out our problem. We seem to think that just wearing the badge means we’re somehow special. It doesn’t. It’s a chicken egg thing. The badge is special because of what we do on the field. We haven’t been doing that for quite some time. Realizing that will take a ton of pressure off.

adamwest

Our first XI is head and shoulders above their stand-ins. The problem is some of those starters are barely at the level we need in order to mount any sort of realistic title challenge.

I like the effort Garnacho put in tonight but he's so wasteful and when you compare him to United wingers of the past, he's nowhere near them. Antony the less said the better, but Garnacho looks world class next to him.

We also need a 3rd choice CB who can rotate and play the same way Licha and Varane play. With Varane possibly departing in the summer we need 2 such players. What Maguire and Evans were both doing up on that corner that wolves countered and scored from is shameful.

Without Mainoo in the mix I'd say our midfield is in trouble. Bruno used to blow hot and cold, now it's tepid and cold. Casemiro is aging out, Eriksen is aging out, McT is not the right type of player.

Hopefully Jim brought his checkbook. We were a scrappy mid table side tonight. They aren't suddenly going to learn how to play more coherent football, we need upgrades - and fast.
You're bang on here mate, even if it is slightly negatively (realistically) tainted. Martinez, especially for me tonight, showed how much of a difference having a player of that class can completely change the side. His presence on the ball made the entire team proactive. He plays the way we all want our team to play. We need more Martinez's !

Cantonagotmehere

Mainooooo!

Thank goodness we won that game. Should have have had 5, maybe 7.

Bummer how we lost control, but we played some great ball at a tough venue for most the game.

And screw that diving C. What a facking dive.

Hojlund is going the be great. Keep it going lad.

wolvored

A game of 2 halves again. Played them off the park first half and but for woeful finishing should have at lest been 4 up, but you could see them equalizing as the second half wore on. Thank god Mainoo has started finding the back of the net!

Todd

Penalty was softer than silk.

Hojlund's goal looked more like an own goal.

Nobody could say it wasn't exciting, that's for sure.

If Mainoo's game progresses properly he could be exactly what we've been missing in the midfield for years. Really hope it works out for him.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 257 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Wolves 2:1 Man Utd