PL W FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 February 2024

croadyman

Kobbie you fecking legend,we controlled it for an hour and then got 40 mins of total chaos again

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
When we play like shit and fluke a win, it’s fair play to bitch about it. When we play well, get a bit fecked over, shit ourselves for a small period but still win with a last minute banger from an academy kid, there is absolutely nothing to whinge about. This was - and always is - the absolute best way there is to win a football match. One we also easily deserved to win. fecking enjoy it you cnuts.

We’ll inevitably be shit again next week and you can moan about it then.

Cantonagotmehere

When we play like shit and fluke a win, it’s fair play to bitch about it. When we play well, get a bit fecked over, shit ourselves for a small period but still win with a last minute banger from an academy kid, there is absolutely nothing to whinge about. This was - and always is - the absolute best way there is to win a football match. One we also easily deserved to win. fecking enjoy it you cnuts.

Yes! Just about the post the same type of thing. We were so much better tonight than we have been for ages vs an in form team, and then screw up.... and then an academy kid wins it with a goal of the month. People who want to bitch tonight, I have no idea why they watch the game.

The White Pele

I would have taken any kind of win before the game so happy with the 3 points. The winning goal was a really special moment and Mainoo looks an incredible player in the making.

However, the overriding feeling is still a bit of frustration that we’ve again not been able to see out a game comfortably after taking a 2 goal lead. I don’t know how many times we’ve seen it this season. We’ll struggle to climb the table if that continues. I’ll need to watch it back but I thought Onana was an issue again as well as some really poor decisions from the rest of the team from a game management perspective. To get countered at 3-2 up in stoppage time shows real naivety. And even after that at 4-3 we still gave the ball away trying to score another and not taking enough care with the final pass.

We need to build on this result now with a win against West Ham.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
Mainoooooooooo!

I just watched and didn't know the result. So many talking points.

The good:
- Rashford really lively
- The first 20 minutes and parts of the 2nd Bruno was absolutely brilliant. When he is good he is really good. I wonder if he just needs less minutes. Maybe he is the type of player who can't be really sharp unless has rest.
- Defense good for so long
- Hojlund looked really good especially his hold up play.
- To make that move at the end of a long match is really something for Mainoo.

The bad:
- Antony was brought in to keep the ball and he lost the ball over and over again. The 3rd goal was mainly his fault. ETH just has to give up on him.-
- You bring on more defenders and then the manager doesn't instruct some to stay back for a corner. WTF.
- Garnacho okay, just no finishing product or pass.
- Subs didn't really help the cause except for McT and that's on the manager.

Alek M

Da manic one
I am emotionally drained

Hojlund motm with gis workrate
Bruno was much better having casemiro along him
Butcher back was outstanding

Antony needs to be benched big time

Gazautd18

Entertaining game for the neutrals but the old failing to finish teams off curse has to end.
Knew after all the chances we had at 2 up Wolves would get back into it.
Reminded me of Spurs when they had a soft underbelly.
So happy for Mainoo though.
One of the most level headed performances on the pitch.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Thought we looked great in the 1st half. As mentioned by all we should have put it to bed early.
Still, a great result in the end and 6 points from wolves this season, after they wuz robbed by us at OT.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Performance was much better. Luckily we scored 4 goals which is rare. Normally we’d lose the game if we concede 2. First half we was much more comfortable defending.

TomSkalle

This is just more of the same. Dont get me wrong, it was entertaining, and it was a good win, but we have seen it all before.

- Missed chances, not putting the game to bed in the first half.
- Freak event (penalty) that brings the other team into the match.
- Set piece goal against (again)
- Then they get 3-3 on a counter, because why not..

And then we get saved by a 18 year old.

IMO this is all whats wrong with United these days.
Sure we should be happy, but really?

ITs all on ETH IMO.
Just not good enough.

Dixieland Delight

Fun time! Should have been out of sight early on, but hey, if I start complaining about an entertaining win I may as well give up on sport.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Blind hatred?

What is it with some United fans and exaggerating for everything FFS. I don't often post about Onana but now that I do It's like i shat in someone's cereal bowl.

I'm not a fan of his. I don't hate the guy. I just don't think he's United quality and he's been making mistakes all througout the season.

There are other better goalkeepers than him. We've seen De Gea save those attempts many times.
You blame him for goals that you cannot save.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
This is just more of the same. Dont get me wrong, it was entertaining, and it was a good win, but we have seen it all before.

- Missed chances, not putting the game to bed in the first half.
- Freak event (penalty) that brings the other team into the match.
- Set piece goal against (again)
- Then they get 3-3 on a counter, because why not..

And then we get saved by a 18 year old.

IMO this is all whats wrong with United these days.
Sure we should be happy, but really?

ITs all on ETH IMO.
Just not good enough.
An entertaining good win as you describe it - is very much not 'more of the same' this season.

pascell

Dropping two 2 goal leads is a real worry, suggests complacency set in and a lack of mental resiliency, the latter being a reoccurring theme.

TomSkalle

An entertaining good win as you describe it - is very much not 'more of the same' this season.
Zero control, bad disicion making both by key players and ETH.
This isnt a good match even if we win.
We cant control a game if our lives depended on it.

Only positive is that we looked better with our best players on the pitch, but then it all goes to #¤%& as we have seen countless times before this season.
Its like a bad joke.

Good teams dont play like this.

Jeffthered

We take the three points. There are too many questions that arise, game after game after game, I expect it, really so we are in for an interesting last few months of the season. Mainoo does look a talented player, and the goal was lovely. I just want him to be really focused on his job, which is to both get us to play and protect the back four. Conceding three and capitulating as we did is not so good. But he has players like Bruno, Casimero (he's struggling.. looks way out of sorts, not sure whether he wants to be there anymore..) Maguire, Varane etc should be guiding Mainoo, but a v good player. But let's see how he develops first before too much praise and expectation (we already have someone here talking future Ballon D'or... I mean, please..)

This game suited us: we have almost a full squad available; we played away so could play on the break (counter); and Wolves are a limited side. So sterner tests will come. A few final observations:
  1. We better make the best of the full squad, because we see what happens when we need to call on some substututes. Our squad isn't deep. All players being available and fit is v v rare.
  2. Why does ETH think that substituting one or both of your central defenders is clever? That is madness! It never improves a side. You do not take off your centre backs!! Think back, as long as you can, can you recall any successful team, local, club, international, who regularly substitute their centre backs? (with plenty of time left in the game..). SAF, Klopp, Pep, Allegri, LVG, Jose, Saachi, Capello... Graham, Wenger, etc, etc.. I could go on and on. You never take off your settled centre backs. Never. But ETH does. It's crazy.
  3. SMT is better when coming off the bench (but we knew that) And what a player to come off the bench.
  4. Antony should have been sold by now. This is just poor, poor, poor management by ETH. Antony stays and Pellestri leaves?????

TomSkalle

We take the three points. There are too many questions that arise, game after game after game, I expect it, really so we are in for an interesting last few months of the season. Mainoo does look a talented player, and the goal was lovely. I just want him to be really focused on his job, which is to both get us to play and protect the back four. Conceding three and capitulating as we did is not so good. But he has players like Bruno, Casimero (he's struggling.. looks way out of sorts, not sure whether he wants to be there anymore..) Maguire, Varane etc should be guiding Mainoo, but a v good player. But let's see how he develops first before too much praise and expectation (we already have someone here talking future Ballon D'or... I mean, please..)

This game suited us: we have almost a full squad available; we played away so could play on the break (counter); and Wolves are a limited side. So sterner tests will come. A few final observations:
  1. We better make the best of the full squad, because we see what happens when we need to call on some substututes. Our squad isn't deep. All players being available and fit is v v rare.
  2. Why does ETH think that substituting one or both of your central defenders is clever? That is madness! It never improves a side. You do not take off your centre backs!! Think back, as long as you can, can you recall any successful team, local, club, international, who regularly substitute their centre backs? (with plenty of time left in the game..). SAF, Klopp, Pep, Allegri, LVG, Jose, Saachi, Capello... Graham, Wenger, etc, etc.. I could go on and on. You never take off your settled centre backs. Never. But ETH does. It's crazy.
  3. SMT is better when coming off the bench (but we knew that) And what a player to come off the bench.
  4. Antony should have been sold by now. This is just poor, poor, poor management by ETH. Antony stays and Pellestri leaves?????
To be fair, i dont think Pellestri is good enough either, so maybe he just make a decision to offload unwanted players when he can.
Maybe he is thinking he will get a bid if Pellestri plays well in the loan period.

When it comes to Anthony he isnt wanted by anybody, and hopeless to sell, because he has devaluated so much and is on a salary his skills doesnt deserve.
We wont get to sell him in a long time unfortunatly. Its just not happening.

stevoc

I never said I was confident we'd win comfortably. I said it was a good performance undone by poor finishing after you said it was a poor performance. If you re-read what you've written above, you seem to basically agree with me.
Have you read what you've written mate?

Bad finishing made us concede 3 goals?

Interesting theory, but it was another very unconvincing performance. We never looked like we could win that game confortably.
You must have missed the first half then.
You said it was an excellent perfromance, there was nothing excellent about it to be fair.

And I never said it was a poor performance, I said it was a clusterfeck of a performance ie good and bad. Despite better build-up play it was still largely more of the same shit that we've been serving up all season. Poor finishing, unable to keep a lead, dodgy defending, poor subs etc.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
Crazy that we win a game like that and people are posting negativity. Just enjoy it.

TomSkalle

Crazy that we win a game like that and people are posting negativity. Just enjoy it.
Not sure im able to enjoy it.
Each match is like flipping a coin.
Just more of the same garbo.

8 points of Europa next seaon.
A manager who cant seem to control games.

bleh..

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Not sure im able to enjoy it.
Each match is like flipping a coin.
Just more of the same garbo.

8 points of Europa next seaon.
A manager who cant seem to control games.

bleh..
Utd win that game last night 9/10. That's not a coin flip.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
If the class of 92 pulled out a result like this, we’d be praising their fighting spirit.

But these bunch of players are used to underperforming and results like these do little to change that perception

dogwithabone

Could not agree more. Some people are just born whingers, it’s as simple as that. Yes, we could and should have put that game to bed after half hour but football is not a perfect game - no team anywhere has played the perfect, error free, match.

How can you not have enjoyed the ebb and flow of that game though ? I thought we were superb for large parts and there were some great individual performance. Having Shaw, Martinez and Casemiro back is making a huge difference - as ten Hag insisted it would. Hojlund, Garnacho and Mainlo continue to flourish and the team is having a settled look to it.

Loads of positives.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Crazy game.

We were brilliant in the first half, game should have been out of sight.

Ridiculous penalty decision, and that 3rd goal was absolutely criminal to concede

But then still to come back after that, bloody hell.

pacifictheme

Amen. The only people I can really criticise are the ref and onana. Was everyone perfect? No. Did we play really well and deserve to win? Yeah.

And it was fecking great, mainoo is just class.

Mike Smalling

So what do you guys think happens, if that penalty isn't awarded against us? I'm not actually too sure. My gut tells me that we would have found a way to let Wolves into the game regardless.

UpWithRivers

Its still moments FC. We play well until the other team change tactics. They brought on a midfielder for a striker at around 60th minute and pushed us and we collapsed. Then Ten Haag doesn't know how to respond. No plan B. The only Plan B is bring on McTominay and hope he scores. Which he did. But its not enough. You need to stop the other team playing.

Fun to watch but naïve. We will be punished more often than getting a 97 minute winner. Which this season has proved.

Darkhorsez

So what do you guys think happens, if that penalty isn't awarded against us? I'm not actually too sure. My gut tells me that we would have found a way to let Wolves into the game regardless.
In other games, perhaps. But last night was different. We were managing their attacks pretty well. It was a bit of a soft way we put ourselves under pressure when we should have really been out of sight before their pen.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
[
Zero control, bad disicion making both by key players and ETH.
This isnt a good match even if we win.
We cant control a game if our lives depended on it.

Only positive is that we looked better with our best players on the pitch, but then it all goes to #¤%& as we have seen countless times before this season.
Its like a bad joke.

Good teams dont play like this.
It must be literally years since you enjoyed a United game. I'm not sure what level of control you're looking for. We were completely in control of that game until the pen. We're not a high possession side but against a very decent, in form side on their patch, we didn't concede a single chance worthy of the name and created enough to win seven games. I was utterly comfortable watching us and that hasn't happened all season. Until the pen. If that was zero control, you're have a long hard road ahead of you before you start issuing the seal of approval.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

Sing it.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Our first half was probably our best 45 minutes of away football this season, could of been 3-4 goals up.

Second half is a different story and it's clear that:

1. We can't play with the same intensity for 90 minutes - that's understandable.
2. We can't shut off a game of football regardless of opposition or scoreline
3. We make many positional mistakes and we let ourselves countered far too easily, our negative transition is all over the place
4. We can't keep the ball without allowing chances to our opponents
5. We need 2 holding CDM's and Martinez in order to be at least decent
6. Our GK is absolutely disastrous
7. The decision making in the final 3rd and rookie mistakes costs us goals that another team would certainly score against us if had the chance.

UpWithRivers

[

It must be literally years since you enjoyed a United game. I'm not sure what level of control you're looking for. We were completely in control of that game until the pen. We're not a high possession side but against a very decent, in form side on their patch, we didn't concede a single chance worthy of the name and created enough to win seven games. I was utterly comfortable watching us and that hasn't happened all season. Until the pen. If that was zero control, you're have a long hard road ahead of you before you start issuing the seal of approval.
You do know that its possible to enjoy the football and be critical. I would bet a million bucks that Roy Keane would be pissed at that performance and nearly throwing it away. Heck all of the winning team would be. We are not some small club. It should be unacceptable for Wolves to come back at us like that. And its not like its a one off. You dont have to have a go at posters saying they are miserable just because they point out the obvious.

Zed 101

Negatives:
Should have scored more, could have easily been 6 up early second half
Bruno was atrocious passing and shooting
Onana, I want to give the guy a chance but either he is in the worst form of his life or he is this bad
Garnacho was just off it
ETH disastrous/clueless substitutions, remove all the pace from the team and lump on some extra slow defenders, lets face it the only reason Forson is getting any game time is to persuade him to sign a new contract, hardly a stellar decision in the circumstances
I know he scored but bringing McT on and effectively leaving Mainoo as one midfielder alone again, I know he subbed Casemiro before he could get a 2nd yellow but man we need at least 3 deep sitting mids to rotate, cannot be going kamikaze every time Mainoo or Casemiro are not available

Positives
Martinez and Varane demonstrated why they are 1st choice CBs
Rashford showed effort
Mainoo nuff said
Mainoo + Casemiro such an improvement
Luke Shaw + Rashford down the left..... now need to replicate down the right
We created more good chances in one match than we normally do in 10

Game was a great watch but so frustrating, all the good and bad of Utd in one match

Last edited:

Longshanks

Utd win that game last night 9/10. That's not a coin flip.
I don't agree, we have seen this game already quite a few times this season. How many times this season have we lost control despite having a two goal advantage.

It's tactical naivety/arrogance from the manager thinking we can just keep committing bodies to a high press leaving gaps in midfield and not have capable sides work a way out and then break on us regularly.

Yes we missed chances, but at 2-0 then more alarmingly and 3-1 we should be closing the game off putting ourselves into a deeper block/deeper press with a compact shape, and looking to break with our pacy forwards. But no we keep committing players into high areas to press high leaving ourselves open to counters and transitions.

It's rinse and repeat to numerous other games this season. And the stats suggest we don't win them 9 times out of 10.

Gordon Godot

I don't agree, we have seen this game already quite a few times this season. How many times this season have we lost control despite having a two goal advantage.

It's tactical naivety/arrogance from the manager thinking we can just keep committing bodies to a high press leaving gaps in midfield and not have capable sides work a way out and then break on us regularly.

Yes we missed chances, but at 2-0 then more alarmingly and 3-1 we should be closing the game off putting ourselves into a deeper block/deeper press with a compact shape, and looking to break with our pacy forwards. But no we keep committing players into high areas to press high leaving ourselves open to counters and transitions.

It's rinse and repeat to numerous other games this season. And the stats suggest we don't win them 9 times out of 10.
Yes, exactly the same problems every week. No control of match or structure of game, wide open in midfield. Terrible subs. Its like an embarrassing league 2 team in last minutes of a cup game throwing on extra defenders. We had 3 CBs on the pitch and still are wide open through the middle for their third goal. He has zero idea of how to control a match. None.

SteveCoppellFan

I worry about Onana and Antony.

I dont worry about Mainoo

We have a 18 year old kid showing way more composure than every other United player in this squad.

How does that happen ?

Oranges038

There was some great football played in that game, especially the first half, moving the ball through the lines from back to front and shifting them from left to right to create space. Second goal was a fine example of this. Played them off the pitch first half and should have been out of sight before they even got a sniff. Poor decision making and touches in the final third let the team down badly.

Dalot making the inside runs and Shaw overlapping down the left, caused them loads of problems. Second half Shaw got a bit gassed and stopped doing that, but that's to be expected since he was out for so long. Then with Rashford coming off and Antony coming on the left side broke down completely. But there wasn't a lot on the bench to bring on to see the game out. McT scored but the midfield loses any semblance of control with him on the pitch.

Their first goal is never a penalty and is disgraceful from the officials, especially since the ref on VAR didn't give Chelsea 2 penalties for worse incidents the day before. The decision to load the box and whip a corner in qy 3-2, when you know 9 out 10 Bruno corners lead to a counter was insanely stupid, but that's on the players out on the pitch to manage that situation better.

It was a great moment from Mainoo to win the game, but overall the performance was very good with lots of positives to be taken from it. Shaw and Licha back make a huge difference to the build up play. Casemiro anchored the midfield well and Mainoo was brilliantly calm yet again and took his goal excellently in the circumstances.

On a side note, Cunha and Neto (even though he's a diving pr*ck) are brilliant players for Wolves and both will likely be moving to a top team in the summer, Utd should be in for at least one of them.

Gordon Godot

Its still moments FC. We play well until the other team change tactics. They brought on a midfielder for a striker at around 60th minute and pushed us and we collapsed. Then Ten Haag doesn't know how to respond. No plan B. The only Plan B is bring on McTominay and hope he scores. Which he did. But its not enough. You need to stop the other team playing.

Fun to watch but naïve. We will be punished more often than getting a 97 minute winner. Which this season has proved.
Apparently ETH has a 'philosophy' and was lined up to be the next Pep. The guy is clueless. We had our strongest 11 against a mid table team that cost over half a billion and we still cant control a match.

Mike Smalling

In other games, perhaps. But last night was different. We were managing their attacks pretty well. It was a bit of a soft way we put ourselves under pressure when we should have really been out of sight before their pen.
We should have been, but we weren't. And before tthe penalty we cleared one off the line and had another close call with the one that hit Onana in the face. I think we could easily have let them back in the game, even without the penalty - especially once the subs were made. It's in this teams DNA.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 257 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Wolves 2:1 Man Utd