PL W FA Premier League

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 01 February 2024

RedIan

Really enjoyed the game. The first hour we completely dominated a very good in form team. Scored two but squandered several very good chances, it should have been at least 4-0 at HT.
lots of positives, Licha looked immense along side varane. Casamiro closed those huge gaps in midfield that have been costing us all season.
shaw played well linking up with Rashford.
The problems started when we took off licha and casamiro.These subs were needed as these guys are not yet ready for 90 minutes.
The problem is our bench doesn't have players of the same quality.
A none penalty gets their tails up and the crowd begind them and we go into our shells.
No negativity though. I saw a lot to be optimistic about topped by Mainoo who is a gem.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Crazy that we win a game like that and people are posting negativity. Just enjoy it.
If you just use your heart then absolutely just enjoy it. Few feelings better than a last gasp winner.

Unfortunately using your head you'd say we should never have been in that situation to begin with.

The first half was wonderful tbh, rare we ever have that control and dominate so much. Second, I just...don't know. It shows we definitely don't have the squad and we don't have a first XI that can keep it up all game (although that's not really a criticism, it's what substitutions are for). Lots of promise for once this season, lots of nostalgic 'this is what United do' feelings from the winner and manner of the win as we often struggled to win in a simple fashion under SAF too which is probably why we're in love with this club but definitely the concerns are still there.

simplyared

Good performance with many positives and yes Mainoo is the real deal. But a shout for Höjlund who's well on his way. Massive potential! Luke Shaw deserves a mention. Solid as usual! Pity we let in too many. Our goalie is bobbins and him and Antony nearly cost us the game. Fact!

JediSith

For 60 minutes that was one of the most controlled and proper “style of play” performances I’ve seen. It was perfect.

Anyone who wants to see what holds Rasmus back in this team? Look at the 57 minute. He was in between the two cb, a through ball would have put him through on goal. Bruno for some reason decides to pass it to the winger. Very frustrating.

Last 20 minutes looked like we turned to crap. But great spirit and fantastic goal by Mainoo. Also I’m happy ETH made a point of subbing off Rashford, forgiven but no longer unsubbable even after his goal.

JediSith

Good performance with many positives and yes Mainoo is the real deal. But a shout for Höjlund who's well on his way. Massive potential! Luke Shaw deserves a mention. Solid as usual! Pity we let in too many. Our goalie is bobbins and him and Antony nearly cost us the game. Fact!
Hojlund has been good all season. Shown signs and potential always does the right thing. Yesterday was a performance where even the low football iq people will notice he’s actually quite good

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
apart from faking a foul that led to them scoring the 3rd goal….yeah all good and that
I thought he was fouled as was Garno on a number of occasions and ref suddenly went blind. Plus lots of people were to blame for the third goal by all piling up front for no good reason.... not to mention Onana doing his usual impersonation of a statue

Oranges038

For 60 minutes that was one of the most controlled and proper “style of play” performances I’ve seen. It was perfect.

Anyone who wants to see what holds Rasmus back in this team? Look at the 57 minute. He was in between the two cb, a through ball would have put him through on goal. Bruno for some reason decides to pass it to the winger. Very frustrating.

Last 20 minutes looked like we turned to crap. But great spirit and fantastic goal by Mainoo. Also I’m happy ETH made a point of subbing off Rashford, forgiven but no longer unsubbable even after his goal.
Was that the one where he turned inside and clipped one across and out for a throw? When a simple straight ball was on?

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Still not seeing enough love here for Garno (everyone says De Bruyne is the most fouled player in the PL, that's bollox, this kid is kicked every time he goes past someone) and particularly for Hojilund, who I thought was bloody magnificent - totally agreed with BT pundits making him MoM... big mistake by ETH to sub him and so let Wolves pile forward and we had no out man to hit up front. Almost cost us

Fallon d'Floor

If you just use your heart then absolutely just enjoy it. Few feelings better than a last gasp winner.

Unfortunately using your head you'd say we should never have been in that situation to begin with.

The first half was wonderful tbh, rare we ever have that control and dominate so much. Second, I just...don't know. It shows we definitely don't have the squad and we don't have a first XI that can keep it up all game (although that's not really a criticism, it's what substitutions are for). Lots of promise for once this season, lots of nostalgic 'this is what United do' feelings from the winner and manner of the win as we often struggled to win in a simple fashion under SAF too which is probably why we're in love with this club but definitely the concerns are still there.
I think Wolves thought they just had to show up last night.

Maybe their attention was on The FA Cup derby at the weekend and this was just an afterthought. Their fans literally booed them off the pitch at HT. That's how poorly they think of this current United. :lol:

They played into our hands for most of the 1st half. Their narrow back three left acres of space down the sides for Rashford and Garnacho to run into. That's the one thing you can't do vs United. Villa paid the price for playing with too high of a line a few weeks ago. But, to be fair, Gary O'Neil eventually got it together in the 2nd half by making some changes. Ait Nouri and Sarabia improved them. Then Wolves took over and had 61% possesison in the 2nd half. They really missed Hwang up front. Bellegarde wasn't making runs that a ST would make. Wolves probably didn't want to risk any Everton/Forest situation, but should have tried to bring in another ST on loan.

stevoc

Its still moments FC. We play well until the other team change tactics. They brought on a midfielder for a striker at around 60th minute and pushed us and we collapsed. Then Ten Haag doesn't know how to respond. No plan B. The only Plan B is bring on McTominay and hope he scores. Which he did. But its not enough. You need to stop the other team playing.

Fun to watch but naïve. We will be punished more often than getting a 97 minute winner. Which this season has proved.
Indeed we all enjoyed the win but yeah we never look secure or in control on games.

JediSith

Oranges038

There must have been even more. On this occasion he played it to Garnacho and ball got lost when Garnacho crossed. Funny thing, just seen a quoted tweet on my notifications. Looks like Rasmus is getting annoyed with his runs getting ignored /not noticed. https://x.com/utdplug/status/1753187126789755014?s=46&t=TGZczmg0U9fE2nAl0ADvWg
Aye, I saw that.

There were a couple of moments where the wrong choice of pass was taken. Going for a Hollywood ball when a simple pass is on.

redmanx

It was a great game, but I think I aged 10 years during the 100 or so minutes it lasted! We should have been home and dry by half time, having scored 2 inside 25 minutes and the chances we created, including seeing 2 goals diallowed! This habit we have of throwing away 2 goal leads has to end because the likes of City, Liverpool and Arsenal will never let us get a third or fourth in similar circumstances, they would likely go to get 4 or 5 temselves! Having Martinez and Casemiro back is a huge boost, as long as nobody else lets the side down, and Mainoo is rapidly becoming irreplacable, if he isnt already! If, IF Rashford gets his act together and puts in a few consistent performances, and if he and Garnacho can provide a better service for Hojlund, if Mainoo steers clear of injury, if Varane gets back to his best, if Onana, a very BIG IF, can become more reliable and less erratic, then yes we can make progress, but its going to take a small miracle to qualify for the Champions League next season. But too many helter skelter games, though hugely entertaining, like this wont help!

Tarrou

got a huge gash on my shin from some fat cnut falling on top of me when Mainoo scored

worth it though!

GregM40

It's nice to be able to enjoy the odd occasion this season, but its been few and far between. I think with a fully fit squad we wouldn't be in the position we're in, that cant be used as an excuse, but the depth just isn't there.

I think Onana will cost Ten Hag his job.

JediSith

Aye, I saw that.

There were a couple of moments where the wrong choice of pass was taken. Going for a Hollywood ball when a simple pass is on.
Something that needs to be worked out. Hopefully ETH will be addressing it

IRN-BRUno

First half was excellent aside from the finishing. Kind of predictable though that we'd be punished for wasting those chances even if it did start from a farcical penalty decision.

Poor game management again from the moment McTominay scored, at 3-3 I was almost expecting a Wolves winner and then a moment of magic from Mainoo. Hojlund deserves a mention too as he was also very good.

GiveItToGi...nowait

Very happy with that performance against an in form Wolves, especially when you remember how they cut through our midfield at the beginning of the season.

I thought that Kobbie was unreal, happy that Rashford got a goal and a decent performance, Hojlund was great and I enjoyed watching Casemiro taking the ball off them at the edge of our third repeatedly in the first half.

This is the kind of performance which should have finished 1-5 but Wolves got the rub of the green with some decisions and we still don't have the match management to know when to go for the kill and when to slow things down. We really do need to learn how to be safe when we are two goals up in a match.

We should sign that Neto as well, everytime he plays against us I think he's a proper player and a complete wanker to play against.

Noc-Z

ffs

Saw a lot of loose balls from Bruno - he is really wasteful and it's really frustrating. Actually saw him waving his arms around at one point like it wasn't HIS fault. That would be a nightmare to play with. Feel sorry for Hojlund at times. He looks class and he just keeps on trying hard. Hope the ones around him don't frustrate him too much and he keeps working as hard as he is now.

JediSith

Saw a lot of loose balls from Bruno - he is really wasteful and it's really frustrating. Actually saw him waving his arms around at one point like it wasn't HIS fault. That would be a nightmare to play with. Feel sorry for Hojlund at times. He looks class and he just keeps on trying hard. Hope the ones around him don't frustrate him too much and he keeps working as hard as he is now.
Frustrating thing with Bruno is that regardless of whether or not the pass worked too many times it was the wrong pass. So even when the pass reached the desired target it was the wrong pass that killed off the prospect of a better move / play developing.

Maticmaker

I am beginning to think the team enjoy making their fans suffer. Unbelievable level of control in the first half, should have been 4 up at least. Then some bad luck, a soft pen, (I mean really soft) and the 'wobbles' take over, but there were enough out there trying and the day was saved.
Kobbie looks the real deal doe he not? Body shape, positioning, concentration, skill on or off the ball, lets take care of this one...please!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Match Highlight

Watch Antony- from 1.52 when they were taking their corner - that his feck up ultimately led to.

He just totally ignores Neto. Walks away from him. Walks away from the danger area when we are defending a corner and leaves their most dangerous player free as a bird.
Just runs off the opposite direction when we are defending, doesnt even glance at Neto

Someone explain that to me

justsomebloke

Once again a game of two halves. Excellent first half, where for once we controlled the game thoroughly, in all aspects. Then once more a second where we let it slip, becoming passive, ceding control and increasingly retreating into our own box. Which seems to be preferred by EtH, judging from the late subs. When he put on Evans, I was thinking "if we end up losing the three points here, we'll deserve it". And we very nearly did. Thank God for Mainoo and his poise and skill. What drama.

I don't really agree with all the criticism of Onana here, I don't think he was particularly culpable on any of the goals. For the third one, it looked to me like Varane shielded his view of the shot - don't think he had much of a chance to react.

Individually, Højlund had a masterful first half, the best we've seen him in the PL I think. Rashford also good. Bruno had an unusually error-strewn and tame game, not up to his usual standard. Garnacho okayish, Casemiro mixed, Mainoo good but not really all that impactful aside from his goal. Defence generally good, especially Martinez although there wasn't too much of his incisive passing.

But all the big takeaways here were really collective. In the first we were an effective and dominant unit, but for some reason we just can't keep it up and we seem to have entirely the wrong approach to protecting a lead. Rather than try to maintain control we just back up, the way an inferior teams does. It wasn't just the last 20 minutes either, we were sliding that way for the entire half.

And I do not understand why he's not putting on Amad, going with the perpetually impactless Forson instead.

Last edited:

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
It was the first time all season we actually had our strongest line-up out there, and it was arguably our best game all season for the first 55 minutes. Should really have been up at least 4-0, and even 5-0 or 6-0 wouldn't have been out of the question. Hopefully our massive drop-off after that was because quite a few of the players are only just returning from long lay-offs, so as they get up to match fitness we can see a lot more of that level of performance.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Match Highlight

Watch Antony- from 1.52 when they were taking their corner - that his feck up ultimately led to.

He just totally ignores Neto. Walks away from him. Walks away from the danger area when we are defending a corner and leaves their most dangerous player free as a bird.
Just runs off the opposite direction when we are defending, doesnt even glance at Neto

Someone explain that to me
Getting ready for the counter perhaps?

always_hoping

Last night was the first home league defeat for Wolves since 3-1 v Liverpool in September two late goals secured that win including an OG.

Since then in Molineux Wolves have beaten Everton, Tottenham, Man City,Chelsea and drew with Aston Villa, Newcastle.

Man Uniteds 4 goals was the most they have scored in Molineux since 2012 under Ferguson in a 5-0 win. Goals scored by United on their away trips to Wolves before last night 1,1,1,0, 2,1, 1

tomaldinho1

The real positive with reflection is let's compare to the first game of the season against them at home. We were overrun basically all game, they had loads of chances and we got a jammy 1-0 win from a set piece. I can't remember us doing anything from open play whatsoever. Now it seems reversed.

This time we completely dominated 1st half and should really have scored 1-2 more. The penalty gave them a massive adrenaline shot but we managed to ride it out and win. We created good chances (2.74 xG) and they didn't create a huge amount (1.34 without the peno). We remain an unfinished team with some weak areas but the passing was a lot better I thought, Licha makes a colossal difference, Case although old and a bit past it now is very solid and Garnacho is adding to his defensive game diligently. Hojlund,Licha and Mainoo were excellent.

There is still a rashness/panic/naivety to some of our play in offensive areas when we should just keep the ball - Dalot trying that shot from miles out, sending to many men up for the corner, Antony trying to take someone on and losing it (twice) when the boring option would have killed the game off. Ping it around the back for ages, then whack it long, then get the ball and do the same. Managing games has long been a weakness.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
A few more points:

- Wolves play some good football and have very good players. Cunha, Neto and Ait-Nouri were real standouts for me.
- Garnacho has to stop falling to the ground every time he feels a body on him. He's developing a bad reputation and now doesn't get legitimate fouls called on him.
- I hope the ice pack on Licha's foot was just precautionary.
- The two "ony's", Anthony and Antony, have to be gone in the summer.
- Bruno made many amazing passes in the first 20 minutes. After that he started making his usual giveaways. The most glaring one was the attempter cross to Garnacho. Wow, that was bad.
- Our first three goals was some of the best team goals of the season.

lex talionis

This game will remembered decades from now for the match winner, but positive performances from Martinez and Hojlund are worthy of praise.

But…we lost control of the match after we went up 2-0. Call it a soft pk but there just enough there to make it the right call. The cluster on the cross. Then the late counter when we ridiculously had too many bodies forward in stoppage time. Too many schoolboy mistakes against a middling at best club.

But…a moment of individual brilliance carried the day. And considering everything the club has been through this season off the pitch, it was a beautiful performance on the pitch.

VidaMata

When we play like shit and fluke a win, it’s fair play to bitch about it. When we play well, get a bit fecked over, shit ourselves for a small period but still win with a last minute banger from an academy kid, there is absolutely nothing to whinge about. This was - and always is - the absolute best way there is to win a football match. One we also easily deserved to win. fecking enjoy it you cnuts.

We’ll inevitably be shit again next week and you can moan about it then.
Hear, hear!

Gator Nate

Overall, I'm pleased with the result. As everyone points out, we had a great first half and lousy second half. But where everyone seems to be pointing out individual player errors, I'm going to look a little more broadly: What was EtH trying to accomplish with his subs?

His first pair of subs, McT and Antony in for Casemiro and Rashford, was at 75'. We were up 2-1 at this point. McT puts in our third right after, putting us up 3-1, but... EtH traded his best CDM for an attacking midfielder, while swapping his left winger for a right winger whose only marginal talents are ball movement and defensive tracking. I get that Cas was tempting fate the whole game with that card at 2'. But this substitution occurs about 15 minutes late and we're now weaker both defensively and offensively. We let in another goal 10 minutes later, but we're still in control, 3-2.

His next pair of subs is at 86', right after that second goal. Maguire for Martinez, probably our slowest CB in for our quickest. The Maguire/Varane combo has NEVER worked. This is where Evans should have come in, because he's worked VERY well with Varane and Martinez is still coming off injury. Only this was also about 10' late and there now may be questions about Martinez' continued fitness. And then there's the Forson for Hojlund sub. Great! An MUFC EPL debutante. And he gets an assist. But even here, I question the timing of giving a player in his debut when we clearly weren't in control.

Then there's the last sub at 90'+2'. Yes, Garnacho is knackered and there's still (allegedly) 7 minutes to go. And I get going defensive. But we're literally changing the defensive formation in the waning minutes of the game because we're already spiraling out of control. So we give up a goal two minutes later.

Overall, I blame EtH for the mess in the second half. He held off too long on subs, didn't appear to have a real plan with them when he did them, and then came up with a terrible plan too late.

On the upside, Hojlund and Rashford rack up another goal each, as did McT, and Mainoo gets, not only his first EPL goal, but the winner through cool, level-headed play to the whistle.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Mainoo deservedly gets the plaudits but a big shout out to Rasmus too. That goal he scored was all about the bravery to get in to scoring position knowing that he would be clattered, something we have been lacking since Rooney really. Loved his celebration while getting squashed by the big CB.

Belisarius

Mainoo deservedly gets the plaudits but a big shout out to Rasmus too. That goal he scored was all about the bravery to get in to scoring position knowing that he would be clattered, something we have been lacking since Rooney really. Loved his celebration while getting squashed by the big CB.
Yeah, celebrating with someone lying on his back was fun to watch.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 257 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Wolves win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 25% Wolves 1:2 Man Utd
  • 15% Wolves 2:1 Man Utd