FA W FA Cup 4th Round

Yeovil Town 0:4 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Fri, 26 January 2018

nokoya

I likes our intensity to keep pushing forward plus get into the box.

Good job Jose and Happy Birthday.

suhaylah

What position did Sanchez play? Did he play from the start? Could not watch the game yesterday Unfortunately. Can someone give the line up also? Thank you

marlowe78

I don't know how pitches like that are allowed in professional football. It looked to have the same dead grass and potholes from the last time we were there.

There was a lot of sloppy play early on with an unfamiliar lineup and the insertion of Alexis, which will naturally take time to iron out. Yeovil got a couple of half-chances while we were dawdling but we went on to have all of the possession and turned the game into a blowout.

The individual performances ranged from solid to quite poor. Carrick was probably our steadiest player over the two halves. I'm at a point of being astounded by the skill and command he shows even after long periods out of the squad. Rashford again had moments of inconsistency but at other times looked thrilling and got a much-needed goal that resulted from seeing a chance through.

Sanchez I thought was quite bad in the 1st half, constantly making passes into areas where teammates were covered or simply weren't there at all. I tried to write this off to the pressures of making his debut and thought he looked much better in the 2nd. Some of his touches are absolutely divine and his talent to show up where you don't expect him will help massively. I have to add that those tackles the Yeovil players made on him were disgusting, I thought at least one should have been a red card.

I thought the midfield tandem of Herrera and McTominay generally worked well. I think Herrera showed a little bit of the attacking prowess from when he first came to United but hasn't been able to use under the prior and current manager. I was pleased by the fact that McTominay didn't hide behind Herrera and Carrick. He routinely called for the ball and looked to make a meaningful forward pass. His only blemish was the sequence where he made a poor pass into the central area and ended up getting booked in trying to fix his mistake.

Our defence was shaky at points but Yeovil simply didn't have enough possession to cause us problems. I thought Shaw and Rojo were very good on the left. I actually voted Rojo MOTM as I thought it was his best game since returning from injury and he held together the backline. That right side, however, dear God...Lindelof looked less than convincing against the absolutely worst team in English league football. Darmian also had his hands full against genuinely crap opposition, he has no business being in a United shirt after being poor for so long.

Overall, a professional performance that helped make the point of who has a future with this club and who doesn't (or shouldn't). An added bonus in giving rest to Martial, Matic, and Pogba.

Paul_Scholes18

Good win in a mixed performance. Pitch was poor and we played much up and down in the game. Good to give minutes to some players.

CallyRed

Pitch was crap, but what do you expect against a 4th division team. Thought we started off very nervous and took a while to adapt to to the pitch.

Most of Yeovil's best attacks in the first half came down Darmiens side, which says it all.

Sanchez brought so much energy and drive to the team and would love to see him start with Martial down either flank, will be deadly on the counter.

Great cameo from Gomes. Looks a prospect.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Great to see Michael Carrick back again, his calm assurance has been missed at times and probably won't properly be appreciated until he's left, I wouldn't expect him to get many if any starts in the Premier League except for injuries, but hope Mourinho keeps him as Captain in our remaining FA Cup matches.

On the result, only what was expected once we scored the first goal.

wolvored

It was a good win but we still seem at times too slow and predictable getting the game moving forwards. When we were still at 0-0 even 1-0 how many times was the ball passed around the back van gaalesque? Is it there is no movement up top, or are players too frightened to try and pass it up the pitch? We were playing Yeovil not prime Barca FFS. For the second goal and especally when Lingard came on we seemed to move it quicker. We had him Sanchez Rashford and occasionally Shaw bombing through later on and looked much more like a good team.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Just watched the game, Jesus, the pitch was a piece of shit wasn't it? Good goals, happy that both Lukaku and Rashford scored, much needed confidence before the Spuds match, Martial is on fire, Alexis will hopefully settle in soonish and we'll have great options up front.

tony54

''Our defence was shaky at points but Yeovil simply didn't have enough possession to cause us problems. I thought Shaw and Rojo were very good on the left. I actually voted Rojo MOTM as I thought it was his best game since returning from injury and he held together the backline. That right side, however, dear God...Lindelof looked less than convincing against the absolutely worst team in English league football. Darmian also had his hands full against genuinely crap opposition, he has no business being in a United shirt after being poor for so long.''

Agree re Rojo, I like him a lot, full of character and at the end of last season he was becoming our best defender especially in the big games. His come back from cruciate injury has been spectacular

Member 90887

People need to keep in mind that we played a second string team. players that didn't play toghether that much before.

Romero: second gk
Darmian: enough said.
Shaw: a first teamer (back up to young for some)
Rojo and Lindelof: first teamers/bench players these last games.
Carrick: haven't player since september, i would say 3 or 4th option in his position
Herrera: bench player.
Mc Tominay: Youngster
Rashford: not in the first team lately.

So we were missing the whole midfield in Matic, Pogba and Jesse, almost the whole attack in Martial, Lukaku (Alexis played). And Valencia and Young.

So, 0-4 considering the players and the awful pitch is very good.

Edit: Mata corrected.

Last edited by a moderator:

AngliaRed

People need to keep in mind that we played a second string team. players that didn't play toghether that much before.

Romero: second gk
Darmian: enough said.
Shaw: a first teamer (back up to young for some)
Rojo and Lindelof: first teamers/bench players these last games.
Carrick: haven't player since september, i would say 3 or 4th option in his position
Herrera: bench player.
Mc Tominay: Youngster
Rashford, Mata: not in the first team lately.

So we were missing the whole midfield in Matic, Pogba and Jesse, almost the whole attack in Martial, Lukaku (Alexis played). And Valencia and Young.

So, 0-4 considering the players and the awful pitch is very good.
Mata has been in pretty much all the starting 11s of late.

Andersons Dietician

We look like we are slipping back in to the poor performance syndrome. Give some of it to the state of the pitch hence all the aerial balls but even then there was some really daft on the pitch decisions. Was a pretty woeful performance but through to the next round.

Klopp_De_Klown

Which nutters have rated Angel Gomes as MOTM??? :lol:
Do not disrespect our beloved muppets, please!

Another tidy performance. We have been steadily rising since the 3 draws. Yes, it's nothing special or worth writing home about just yet. But from little acorns... I'm seeing steady progress and rising confidence game by game. Although 0-4 flattered us!

No point over thinking this one except for Sanchez, Lukaku, Lingard, Rashford, Gomes and Carrick.

• Good to see the auld fella back in what was an ideal run out for him, obviously rusty and lacking full match sharpness. He needs reserve and U23 games EVERY week to get him nearer to where Jose needs him to be.
  • Gomes is a little cheeky son so and very nearly pulled it off. Good for him, perfect atitude to have. More games please!
  • Rashford had a good game. He needed a goal and got a great poachers goal hopefully it can lift his confidence.
  • Lingard.... Hmmm... Total miskick miss of a difficult chance, still he got in there but again is proving why he deserves his start. In lethal form.
  • Lukaku looked good, sharp and strong. Clearly benefited from the rest since Christmas. I think he has started to find that position to play in where he finds more space and causes the most damage. From the Watford game onwards he's been doing much better and be more effective. Needed the goal just to keep ticking along especially after the new signing. Can't wait for the super game to see the first choice lads gel.
  • Sanchez. Rusty, looked a lot like a stranger who was picked last for the 5 a side. Who then tries hard to impress. You can see his quality and 2 good assists but much better to come one would think.
WOW, I didn't realize that. When you read some of the threads around here you would think we languishing mid table, especially the match day threads. We are obviously pretty well organized and coached, just need a little more flair in the final third.
Exactly... But people are hardwired to accept this spin. And it is spin and it's very deliberate. Maybe a little mischievous. It's not malicious, just agenda driven.

People just need to remember that we/United have our own agenda and due to no Sky representation and no BBC representation we don't hear as much pro-United spin. And No! Gaz is too honest so he doesn't do it to anywhere near the same level as others. We just need to know the glass is our half full version and not their half empty version!

Klopp_De_Klown

Exactly... But people are hardwired to accept this spin. And it is spin and it's very deliberate. Maybe a little mischievous. It's not malicious, just agenda driven.

People just need to remember that we/United have our own agenda and due to no Sky representation and no BBC representation we don't hear as much pro-United spin. And No! Gaz is too honest so he doesn't do it to anywhere near the same level as others. We just need to know the glass is our half full version and not their half empty version!
Did any of you see soccer saturday this afternoon?

Sanchez and United, knives out straight away.... Ouuu the fear!

Foxbatt

I know Mata was involved in the goal and that is what is expected of him but his negatives far outweigh his positives. The same way Rojo provided the assist for the last goal but that is something we do not expect of him. Gomes during the short time did a lot more promising stuff than Mata did.

red_john

Good result taking in consideration the sate of the pitch although it was the same for both teams. Standout players for me where Sanchez, Carrick, Herrera and Lingard off the bench. Nice little cameo from Angel aswell.

Mihai

What position did Sanchez play? Did he play from the start? Could not watch the game yesterday Unfortunately. Can someone give the line up also? Thank you
He played on the left. But was drifting inside instead of playing wide.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He was drifting in a lot, yes. In fact, I believe his best position in the team will be behind Lukaku.
I think we have finally got a player who can drift,take defenders out while leaving other players like Rashford,Lukaku,Martial,Jesse to get in behind.

City have had that in abundance,I think we can now match that

DesmondRGG

Surprised not many else have McTominay as their MotM. I thought young Scott was fantastic apart from his booking.

DesmondRGG

Amazing how views differ. I thought it was the worst I've seen him play. Close thing between him and Lindelof for who was more inept (I think Lindelof won that one).
It was a toss up between Lindelof and Darmian for worst player today. Still baffles me as to how Darmian can make it into the Italy's NT.

ThaReaper01

It was a toss up between Lindelof and Darmian for worst player today. Still baffles me as to how Darmian can make it into the Italy's NT.
I actually thought Darmian was alright. Got up and down, put in a few good crosses. Didn’t mess anything up. Lindelof was poor though. Looked uncomfortable throughout. McTominay was good as well. He’s comfortable on the ball, linked up well and wasn’t afraid to try a risky to make things happen, particularly in the first half. He took a backseat in the second half when he just had to recycle the ball to the playmakers.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Surprised not many else have McTominay as their MotM. I thought young Scott was fantastic apart from his booking.
Lots of energy and commitment - not MOTM for me but very decent. I would venture to suggest that Jose is trying for the perfect blend, a cocktail of experience and street nous, and insane youthful zing zing.

Foxbatt

It is the hoofing that irritates me. Especially the first few minutes our defenders were trying to prove that they are the championship side while Yeovil are the PL side. So anything near them they simply hoofed it forward. It was only when Carrick started to get the ball more that things started to calm down a bit.
I really do not understand why Mata comes so deep to get the ball. He is going to get tackled and lose it there just like against Huddersfield and we will concede in a match soon if it is not stopped.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 437 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Yeovil win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 41% Yeovil 0:3 Man Utd
  • 17% Yeovil 0:4 Man Utd