CL L Champions League Champions League Group F

Young Boys 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 14 September 2021

wolvored

Here comes the Ole Out brigade.

Clearly, the AWB tackle was Ole’s fault. The deflected goal was Ole’s too, cause he went to a back 3 and brought Varane on. The bad pass by Lingard was his fault, too. The two shots on goal was his fault because he wasn’t aggressive enough at 1-0 on the road in the CL.

Pathetic “fans”. Ole played his hand with the cards he had.
What about the crazy subs? What excuse you got for that?

IhabX7

But Chelsea didn't do a better job, as with less time against 10 men Liverpool had more possession, shots, shots on target, and corners than we conceded tonight. They're just unfortunate Chelsea didn't have Lingard to give them a tap in.
Young boys.. Liverpool..? Don’t you see a difference?

Mercurial

I silently sat here at home wondering why Ole didn't put Varane on and send Lindelöf to the RB after the red. (I don't rate Dalot so highly)

Houdini

Fecked by Young Boys. Lingard could have just easily hoof the ball to their keeper. He has no brain. Disgusting performance even with 10 men.:rolleyes:

the_cliff

Villareal didn't pull our pants down in the final but he does have a point. Losing to the worst team in the group in our away game by playing terribly when the other 2 are decent sides does sound eerily similar to last year. Something you're supposed to have learnt from.

Dominos

1. AWB is an idiot. Every game our players pick up completely needless bookings and it was a matter of time before one of those needless tackles resulted in a red.

2. Didn't like the decision to switch to a back 5, it just hindered us in keeping possession.

3. Why the feck was Lingard chose to play up front? We needed someone with strength playing with their back to goal holding the ball up and winning free kicks. Martial was the obvious choice.

4. Taking Fred off and moving Lingard into midfield which eventually gifted them the winner... Ole was literally just making subs for the sake of making subs. I can't believe there was any thought or rationale behind any of them.

5. Our ball retention is fecking pathetic. There isn't another top team in Europe who would see that little of the ball in the 2nd half. I point out how bad our touch, passing and cohesion is in normal games at the best of times - as soon as I saw the red card I knew we were losing that game as we don't know how to keep the ball and control games. 3 years into current regime and this is the level we're at..

6. Compare Chelsea's performance at Anfield with 10 men to ours tonight. We were given a much easier task than Chelsea were and we looked like a bunch of amateurs.

7. I don't see City, Liverpool or Chelsea crumbling like that under same circumstances. We literally couldn't get a touch of the ball the whole 2nd half. I guarantee City would have had at least equal possession and still had shots on goal in the 2nd half.

The Hilton

Which game were you watching? We weren't certainly winning comfortably. The only other chance we had was a counter against the mighty Young Boys. Those are the two shot we managed in 90 min.

Red card or not we were awful. A lot of teams have played with 10 men. We stopped playing and started wasting time.
We absolutely were winning comfortably. It wasn't a siege, but it didn't need to be, we were ahead away in Europe, and never looked like conceding until the sending off.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Some lads proper buzzing with that result so they can get a proper moan in.

Enjoy it chaps.

We were dreadful mind. No positives.

Plenty of time to redeem it.

eire-red

You certainly don't look forward to an early sending off against a good team!
Could be like Tottenham at home last season!
Agreed, you don't want to be silly and get a hiding. At the same time, you need an outlet. Some sort of threat is required.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Villareal didn't pull our pants down in the final but he does have a point. Losing to the worst team in the group in our away game by playing terribly when the other 2 are decent sides does sound eerily similar to last year. Something you're supposed to have learnt from.
Not disagreeing with you, but Villareal didn't look anything special in the final. Our fault for not burying them, of course, but we'll have no problems at Old Trafford

mancave bear

Embarrasing display. I am so sad. Its not that we loose, but the way we loose. Even with only 10 men, we could and should have played a lot better.

dpansheth

11 games in the CL under Ole.

7 defeats.

Not even close to good enough that.
There’s a theme there… under Ole we are unprepared mentally, tactically for match situations. That has to be on coaching/manager. Be it Ole or his support staff. At this level coming short 7 times ( below 0.500 ) is unacceptable.

full disclosure: I am firmly”ole+support staff” out camp.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Forgettable night. Hopefully doesn't bite us in the ass. I'm calm tonight but will align with the #OleOut head bangers if they don't qualify from this group.

The Hilton

Young boys.. Liverpool..? Don’t you see a difference?
I do of course, but I take issue with saying that Chelsea did better vs Pool than we did vs Young Boys, which is objectively false.

End of the day it took a gift from Jesse for us to lose today, for all their bluster YB created only 2 chances, one from a deflected cross and the other the miss immediately after the red.

Siorac

Having a poor result in the CL is probably best on matchday 1, at least we have 5 games to correct it and regroup
I'm pretty sure it's best to have a bad result on matchday 5 after winning the first four.

Real Name

I'm an Ole fan so this comment is based solely on this match - I thought some poor decisions were made as regards subs and tactics.

We went way too defensive way too soon and lacked shape and completely nullified our attacking threat. And I was amazed Greenwood never got utilised as one of the 5 subs with his pace and individual trickery on the break.

When AWB was sent off, I was hoping we'd just bring Varane on for Sancho and move Lindelof to RB and stick with a back four and two in front - Fred and either DVB or Matic. And leave Pogba, Ronaldo and Fernandes to offer attacking threat, with the likes of Greenwood and Lingard or Martial to come on for them later in the game for fresh legs.

Bringing on so many defensive players, and playing an unbalanced team with little attacking threat (and never using Greenwood) was a very poor approach to the 10 man situation and I watched the 2nd half almost resigned to exactly how it played out.
Exactly, was thinking the same. Varane in, Lindelof to RB and we go on. Instead he subbed Dalot too and played 3 at the back.

tomaldinho1

What makes you so sure? We just lost to the worst team, Villarreal pulled our pants down in the EL final & Atalanta are a good side.

I firmly believe Ole is dragging us into the EL again.
We have way too much quality to not go through, it would be more impressive (in a shit way) for this team to go in to the EL than to still not qualify. Atalanta will be a dream for us, they are an even more open version of Leeds and Villarreal are so so average.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Having a poor result in the CL is probably best on matchday 1, at least we have 5 games to correct it and regroup. It's not an ideal start and a disappointing result and performance but ultimately it's still easily recoverable. Personally, I'd rather Ole just play our strongest 11 possible each match then try to be cute and rotate. I really don't want another season of fecking Europa League football.

Either way, think we'll win comfortable against Villarreal next and that will give us a good confidence boost.
Not match day 6 fielding your kids after winning the first 5?

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Bruno and Ronaldo barely touched the ball for about 20mins, and we were getting overrun.

It was just a freak game, sh!T pitch, very early red, trying to play 3 centre backs which we very rarely do. Dalot on the pitch which is very unusual. The whole thing was a mess really.

But that backpass was something special. I genuinely don't think he could play a ball that criminal again if he had another 99 goes.
I'd agree with this, if I wasn't so worried about Ole's decision making. 2 of those factors you've mentioned are decisions we made ourselves. 3 centrebacks, and bringing Dalot on so early instead of assessing things at half time.

Ah well. At least we've got time to recover from this. 5 games to go.

Josep Dowling

The sending off changed the game but what exactly is Ole’s tactic at that point? Put 10 men behind the ball and leave a huge gap between the back 9 and Ronaldo? No wonder we were under pressure in the second half. It was all brought on by the terrible tactic.

His substitutes were appalling. Why is Lingard still here? Same old thing with this club, too much sentiment towards players who have achieved nothing with us. Should have been sold for £10m and that’s the end of it. He shouldn’t be getting any minutes. Finally get rid of James and now suddenly Lingard is getting minutes. It’s infuriating.

He’s also in the process taken off Van De Beek yet again and now his confidence will be shattered once again (if he has any left). Pogba is clearly the player to take off when you need players to track back with pace. In games like that Pogba is a lost sheep at times. He’s too much a luxury player to get stuck in.

The last 3 away games we have been torn apart by Southampton, Wolves and now Young Boys because we have no work horse like players in midfield. When you have that much creativity in the front 3 you need work horse players in midfield. The balance is all wrong yet again. We all knew we needed a DM, so it’s going to be another season wasted waiting until the summer to sort that out. Alternatively get rid of Ole, find a manager who actually has tactics that a top class football team should play towards. Just maybe we wouldn’t be reliant on counter attack and 10 men behind the ball tactics. No more excuses for Ole.

swissgenius

Reactions to the red card:
Ole brings on a 5th defender
YB brings on a 3rd attacker

You could tell which team wanted to win and who played to defend. It was a clear sign for both teams and that's how the players reacted too.

I'm not judging Ole's future based on this game, but that was a very, very poor coaching performance through 90mins.

Dominos

The golden rule of getting out the CL group stage is to win your games against the whipping boys of the group. Last year we couldn't get the job done against Istanbul. This year we've fecked ourselves against Young Boys. The overconfidence on here last year that we'd still qualify out the group stage was absolutely laughable and was made to look foolish. I fear we're in for a very tough battle yet again. You cannot be losing games against the worst team in the group.

Get In Scholesy

Yes we have some bad players that should not even be getting looks in champions league games, but surely the coaching staff knows that. You can’t try to baby confidence in every player when a bunch of them have proven they are shit or over the hill.

Yes AWB got a red due to his terrible technique but for me going down to 10 men against a team
of this caliber can definitely be mitigated. What we saw with the quick substitution after the red card was panic and cowardice. 8 minutes to the half. See it out. Then make a change. This gave young boys impetus as it became very clear what we will be doing moving forward. They knew it was coming at half time.

We did not do ourselves favours on the pitch either.. bad players and bad management only leads to one result.

I want Ole to stay long term but if we don’t make it out the group he should be sacked.

dpansheth

I'm an Ole fan so this comment is based solely on this match - I thought some poor decisions were made as regards subs and tactics.

We went way too defensive way too soon and lacked shape and completely nullified our attacking threat. And I was amazed Greenwood never got utilised as one of the 5 subs with his pace and individual trickery on the break.

When AWB was sent off, I was hoping we'd just bring Varane on for Sancho and move Lindelof to RB and stick with a back four and two in front - Fred and either DVB or Matic. And leave Pogba, Ronaldo and Fernandes to offer attacking threat, with the likes of Greenwood and Lingard or Martial to come on for them later in the game for fresh legs.

Bringing on so many defensive players, and playing an unbalanced team with little attacking threat (and never using Greenwood) was a very poor approach to the 10 man situation and I watched the 2nd half almost resigned to exactly how it played out.
i have a question for you:
Please tell me how many times in the past 2 seasons you felt “some poor decisions were made as regards subs and tactics”

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Young Boys 0:3 Man Utd
  • 22% Young Boys 0:2 Man Utd