CL L Champions League Champions League Group F

Young Boys 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 14 September 2021

patch1

simple group made difficult by bad decisions from both players and management.The problem was trying save a point,instead of trying to win the game.All send and done they are at best a championship side.

RedDevil@84

There is something strange about Ole and his cup performances. He seems to lose it and do random stuff (baffling subs) or not do anything (refusing to sub Fred vs PSG and not do anything against Villareal)

IhabX7

I do of course, but I take issue with saying that Chelsea did better vs Pool than we did vs Young Boys, which is objectively false.

End of the day it took a gift from Jesse for us to lose today, for all their bluster YB created only 2 chances, one from a deflected cross and the other the miss immediately after the red.
We had two shots all game mate.

Dominos

But Chelsea didn't do a better job, as with less time against 10 men Liverpool had more possession, shots, shots on target, and corners than we conceded tonight. They're just unfortunate Chelsea didn't have Lingard to give them a tap in.
Chelsea got a 0-0 at Anfield with 10 men.

We lost 2-0 to Young Boys.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
We have way too much quality to not go through, it would be more impressive (in a shit way) for this team to go in to the EL than to still not qualify. Atalanta will be a dream for us, they are an even more open version of Leeds and Villarreal are so so average.
It was impressive (in a shit way) going out last season needing 1 point from 2 games. It was impressive (in a shit way) not beating said average Villarreal side in the EL.

I’m not convinced we get through. We’re like a gorgeous Lamborghini with a blind driver.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My season so far.

Games watched: Southampton, Wolves, Young Boys
Games missed: Leeds, Newcastle
Reminds me of one season where I went to about 8 games and saw us scored 2 or 3 goals!

Please don't watch us play in any away games though, with all due respect. It's obviously you.

tomaldinho1

It was impressive (in a shit way) going out last season needing 1 point from 2 games. It was impressive (in a shit way) not beating said average Villarreal side in the EL.

I’m not convinced we get through. We’re like a gorgeous Lamborghini with a blind driver.
:lol: Visually impaired****

The Hilton

Well if you want to be that simplistic then go ahead, there's obviously more to it than that. But if you're gonna rely on the scoreline, Chelsea lost 1-0, as Liverpool scored after James went off.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'd agree with this, if I wasn't so worried about Ole's decision making. 2 of those factors you've mentioned are decisions we made ourselves. 3 centrebacks, and bringing Dalot on so early instead of assessing things at half time.

Ah well. At least we've got time to recover from this. 5 games to go.
Just can't believe we went 1-0 up, all looking rosy, then injuries apart everything couldn't have gone much worse.
Even down to having to use Varane emergency style, when he was clearly to be rested tonight.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I didn't understand the need to take off VDB and putting Varane. We already had 4 defender when we substituted Jadon. We just gave up all hope of control and stoped playing

estel_manutd

Bright side: this happened in the first round of matches in the CL group stage and not in the knock out rounds or the PL. We can easily recover without longer-term consequences.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
It's somewhat ironic us Ole Out people get called melters when we've literally got a guy who melts down whenever we're struggling and cannot seem to cope with a situation slightly outside the box.

Coops73

Bored of the cafe these days. Really, really feckin bored. A game we looked like winning easily until an unfortunate tackle cost us a win and a bad back pass cost us a draw.

Yet again though a number of posters will just have to completely avoid the place for days until all the angry kids get it out of their system. Get a grip FFS
I hear ya, some of the comments are embarrassing, shite result but an unfortunate result too, I think we’ll be fine and if not then there’ll be questions but until then I’ll be Keeping my powder dry.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

In fairness we drew v Liverpool the other season when we had about 7 injuries in the first 20mins and ended with Rashy with the mobility of a snail for the last 60.

arthurka

Ole needs to go, this is all setup and mentality. We reek of passive and cautious setup. We were playing Young Boys I know we were 10 v 11 but he threw in the towel. 2 fecking chances for god sakes.

IhabX7

I didn't understand the need to take off VDB and putting Varane. We already had 4 defender when we substituted Jadon. We just gave up all hope of control and stoped playing
That was the start of it all going to shit. Taking off Ronaldo and Bruno was just grotesque.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bored of the cafe these days. Really, really feckin bored. A game we looked like winning easily until an unfortunate tackle cost us a win and a bad back pass cost us a draw.

Yet again though a number of posters will just have to completely avoid the place for days until all the angry kids get it out of their system. Get a grip FFS
Just people's way of letting off steam.

So many don't have any reason to their views though.

If they can't accept that a weird pitch, very early red, and freakishly mad back pass were what it took to lose us it, I don't know how they deal with normal life's issues.

Born2Lose

There is something strange about Ole and his cup performances. He seems to lose it and do random stuff (baffling subs) or not do anything (refusing to sub Fred vs PSG and not do anything against Villareal)
The problem is not just Ole, it's McKenna and Carrick too. None of them has coached or managed at a high level. When you get a situation like in tonight's game they completely lose control and panic.

From the way we were playing you'd have thought we were down two men against peak Barca.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That was the start of it all going to shit. Taking off Ronaldo and Bruno was just grotesque.
Ronaldo was wise, as he was trudging around, getting nowhere near the ball and was just dead weight.

Bruno or Pogba made some sort of sense too.

croadyman

Going to remain optimistic we can still qualify with another 15 points to play for, however will admit I would feel very different emotions if this result came in the 5th game or worse still the last one

Last edited:

honirelandboy

Ole panicked we can all see that and boy did he panic badly putting five at the back

We could of going a deep 4-4-1 with Sancho left Pogba and Fred Center Greenwood Right and Bruno as false nine.

I don't understand how he got it so wrong.

Dominos

Well if you want to be that simplistic then go ahead, there's obviously more to it than that. But if you're gonna rely on the scoreline, Chelsea lost 1-0, as Liverpool scored after James went off.
How anyone could watch those 2 games and think we did a better job than Chelsea just baffles me. Liverpool are 10x the team Young Boys are.

Joseunited

Switching to a back 5 when down to 10 men, I can't see him doing that again :lol: .

Scholes_boi

I hear ya, some of the comments are embarrassing, shite result but an unfortunate result too, I think we’ll be fine and if not then there’ll be questions but until then I’ll be Keeping my powder dry.
What's the point of buying 2 top tier attackers and taking them off at vital points in a vital tournament? Only then to defend with a team that isn't structured to defend. Defending with 55 minutes to go is something you'd do in a game of FIFA, not real life.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Young Boys 0:3 Man Utd
  • 22% Young Boys 0:2 Man Utd