CL L Champions League Champions League Group F

Young Boys 2:1 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Tue, 14 September 2021

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
So pissed at how that unfolded. We were playing well, and once the first went in you thought we’d go on and get 2 or 3.

After the red we just looked utterly clueless. So negative - I don’t think we touched the ball in their box in the entire second half did we?

Still, make sure you win your home games and all that. Red cards happen. I’m just baffled at how we handled it from then on. The lingard feck up was the icing on the cake.

Tee27

How can we not maintain abit of composure even after going a man down? It’s young boys you’d think we’re playing prime barca the way we curled up.

And god knows what lingard was doing there. Pathetic performance

RetroStu

As i seem to keep saying, we are so weak mentally whenever anything goes against us in a match.

You would of thought we were playing against Barca from 10 years ago. Going down to 10 men often has little effect on a lot of teams, in fact it often galvanizes them to perform better. we just collapse.

Never beena 'Ole out' guy but from the weak mentality if our players, to the bad coaching (why a team with our players continues to play so badly, well it has to be coaching), i think its time for something new.

Norman Brownbutter

ask him about his bath time mishap
Another example of the tactical ineptness of ole, but it will be lingard that gets racially abused online by assholes who will defend ole to the death.
turn off the social media, Jesse. Nothing good will come tonight.

Toad

Thought Fred did well and dropped off in the second. Sancho was shit. Defender was pretty good but all ruined by 2 men.

Swivel Hips

At least we can concentrate on the League, FACup League Cup.
absolutely awful performance, last season against the Turks all over again.
we are a million miles behind City, Chelsea and Liverpool. Be lucky to finish 4th in PL.

Lentwood

This is why the sensible fans are downplaying wild predictions about us winning the league.

We can't keep the ball under pressure in midfield and we still commit absolutely catastrophic self-imposed errors.

Giggs' right foot

Impressively bad.

Ole's now lost 7/11 CL games. Not for Molde - but Man. U-fecking-nited. We have a goalscore on 19-19.

Absolutely in no way, shape or form is that sustainable, if he keeps on this track record.

Godfather

Imagine camping in your own box at 1-1 against fecking Young Boys with that squad at hand. Even with a man down this is pathetic

Orange Tree

Cowardice tactics, pretty much resigned the initiative after the red card.

It's a deserved loss for United.

Steven-UK

Ronaldo now knows why we needed him so much.... he better have strong shoulders, as he's going to be carrying this team for 2 years.

Young Boys deserved the win.

MZX7

@Vato @Varun @moses @Hectic @Solius
We can't compete against a 10 man Young Boys with a goal in hand? Shameful.

Forgetting that shocker from Lingard at the end, we were horrible throughout the game. Even the Ronaldo goal came out of the blue.

Best Attack in the League, best attack in the league...not gonna be winning anything with a midfield like ours.

MonkeysMagic

When the penny drops with some that Ole isn't cut out for CL or even top 6 PL club, we may start to make progress as a team. Until then, the embarrassing results/performances will be the norm.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
When we went down to 10 men I never expected to get outplayed that badly for the rest of the game.

FatTails

Missed the game due to work. I’m gathering that we didn’t play very well?

wolvored

Well deserved Young Boys. What were those substitutions when we needed a goal? Ole, does he pull a red and green raffle ticket out his pocket and if it matches the players numbers swaps them over?
Racked off.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Probably our worst performance in the CL since last season.

RedDevilUnited369

I see Ole will take the blame.

We have well paid players that need to take responsibility…some better paid than Ole.

Find a new narrative ..

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Wan Bissaka cost us the game, not Ole. We lost, we move on, and we can still top the group.
Yeah, I'm not having that. Logic like this will leave us trophyless longer than Arsenal.

Adjust your expectations or go support Plymouth.

largelyworried

Always going to be a struggle for this team with ten men. We're not a particularly well drilled team at the best of times, with ten men and an unfamiliar formation we were bound to find it tough to keep possession. No surprise that we kept giving the ball away for most of the second half. Which means that we never gave ourselves any sort of platform to build on, either in terms of calming down the game in defense, or in terms of the occasional spell of pressure on their goal. I couldnt help think of the difference with how well Chelsea did against Liverpool with 10 men the other day.

AWB needs a clip round the ear. Lingard too. Pogba was at his indulgent worst, continually holding on to the ball till he was surrounded then losing it. Dalot didn't really look United quality.

Thought the back three looked pretty rugged but the ball kept coming back at us so it was non stop. Fred has his limitations but he worked his bollocks off. Ronaldo kept his end of the bargain.

Overall, probably doesn't harm our chances for the group that much. But it suggests we're not the streetwise operators we probably need to be to go far in this competition. I just hope we learn from this.

rooney2009

Everyone should calm down
Even the best Players make mistakes and it could happen to anyone
What we have to do is pick ourselves up and make sure this mistakes do not happen again
The highs and lows of football
Come on Utd

Heinzesight

Pitch for me was a massive part of us being so shit. They couldn’t get to grips with it at all. The defensive tactics were embarrassing at a man down but at the same time this was Young Boys match of the decade and were well up for it.

I don’t want to see Lingard in a squad this side of Christmas. Sloppy bastard. A disgrace when holding on for a draw was looking like a decent result and he does that after all the defensive work.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Should not have started Pogba on the left either. Should have started our best team and Pogba is a MF.

Four or five games into the season and Sancho looks like his confidence is shot.

peridigm

The result fecking sucks, and the fact we literally gifted them the winner with virtually the last kick of the ball is about the worst way to lose a game. But in the bigger picture we lost a game away in the CL by one goal when we were a man down from 36th minute, that's honestly not the end of the world imo. We were bossing the game right up to that point.
Sucks to lose but it's the first match of the group. We'll still go through. Idiotic challenge by AWB and an even bigger idiotic pass by Jesse will somehow be the managers fault.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
What was the fecking point of replacing Ronaldo with Lingard? Jesse was never going to add anything defensively and certainly wasn't going to score with the rest of attack taken off. At least Ronnie was being a grown-up on the pitch yelling at the rest to get their shit together (and could have scored something out of nothing).

It was already bad that we had given up to win, but such idiotic loss at the last minute. Feck Lingard, seriously. Ole's squad management is becoming indefensible.

Absolutely fuming.

December_16

Yeah whatever, that’s a game to forget. Hope the lads keep their head straight and pull through. 5 more games to play, may we get all 15 points.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Starts off on a 3g pitch which is always horrendous.

Hard fight to get a chance which Bruno does a godlike pass to Ronaldo.

AWB cant control a ball very well on a normal pitch so had no hope for that ball and overcompensated.

Ole chooses ultra defensive, we take on a barrage of very feisty, yet overall average attacks from YB.

Beaten by a scruffy cross (thanks to point 1), which was at point blank.

Keep scrapping until 5 minutes to go Ole decides he fancies switching back to the one man midfield.

Lingard with a momentary lapse to seal game.

Shit happens, awful away game and start, still 5 games to pull ourselves the feck together.

Smores

Shame our players ruined the absolutely perfect plan from Ole. He's so perfect in every way it's a shame not everyone else is able to live upto his greatness.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 280 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 29% Young Boys 0:3 Man Utd
  • 22% Young Boys 0:2 Man Utd