CL D Champions League Group F

Manchester United 1:1 Young Boys

Post-match discussion

Wed, 08 December 2021

Firestorm

I suspect that’s the last we‘ll see at United of some of these players..some very average performances- apart from Greenwood, Bailey,Shaw and Henderson

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
That was absolute shite. Got dominated by Young Boys like they were prime Barca in that second half. Our reserves and best young talents should be able to be close to the level of a team like that at home, no fecking excuses.
We missed 2 sitters! Calm down.

atkar83

Job done.

Great moment for the young lads, very telling game for some of the senior players.

As I said in the match thread, VDB the poorest for me purely based on the fact I felt he had the most to gain from a good performance.
It would be a bit tough to guage him on this considering Mata was his midfield partner and he's probably never played with the attackers in front of him or Matic behind him.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Mason scored a cracker. Some time passed. Robbie Savage got watch his own 30 year old haircut make finally it’s debut. I have booze to drink. The world continues to turn.

RedfromIreland

Whoever scouted DVB has a problem. He’ll never be a footballer and for all the supporters calling for him to get game time, have a rethink.

RORY65

It was cool to see so many youngsters get their debuts, a day they will all remember forever. As a game it wasn't good but that's to be expected with the number of changes and the unbalanced nature of the team (Van De Beek as the only midfielder) which gave the players who played on Sunday a chance to have more days of training and for Rangnick to see pretty much everyone within his first two games but probably didn't set certain players up to shine as they might have hoped.

We had dead rubber or League Cup games like this under Ferguson though and although it wasn't great, there was plenty to be gained by everyone having a chance to impress the new manager and by several youngsters getting minutes in the first team.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Shit performance. Thought we will do a High press High intensity but nothing came our of the team.

Understandable though. Good to see some kids !

Blood Mage

-Van De Beek isn't a no.6, he can insist that he can play that role all he likes, doesn't make it true. Ole may be vindicated on this one.
- Wan Bissaka failed miserably to persuade Ralf that he should start ahead of Dalot.
- Matic and Mata's legs have gone and this must be their last season at the club.
- Greenwood is very good and should replace Rashford in the first team.

RuudTom83

Total mess of a second half but it was pissing it down and the team just got less and less experienced with every substitution.

Just forget trying to pick anything from it and move on to the weekend.

tomaldinho1

Absolute pinball wizard game but that is exactly what we should do with team selection. We don’t owe Atalanta or Villarreal anything, loved seeing the entire second string and youth debuts and we still got a scrappy point. Respect to RR, no fecks given about putting out a strong team as a sing of respect etc.

Henderson and Greenwood looked different class, probably Bailly too.

DomM

if anything, this just shows that most of these players simply aren't ready for the first team, not saying they won't improve but they still have a long way to go.
Also shows why VDB doesn't start much, didn't impose himself at all.
Can't complain with the youngsters playing but they wouldn't last ten minutes in the premiership.

BehemothTerror

Think we missed some energy in the middle of the park tbh, Mata, Lingard and Matic far too lethargic.
Thought VDB did well though could see him getting annoyed at the lack of movement around him.
Willing to cut some slack given the team was notable second sting and had a number of youngsters involved. Weather as well played a part in being unable to get out of second gear at times as it hindered Young Boys more experienced and psychical style less.
Lingard however was garbage, don't think he did anything of note all game.

DeGea

AWB not good enough. I think it is time for Kieran Trippier to replace him.

Lingard looks uninterested, he needs to be sold.

Best moment of the game was Robbie introducing his son. What a proud moment.

gearoid

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
So many had the chance to impress and after 10 minutes I thought we were in for a good game. Sadly, fizzled out and no attempts at goal in the last 30 minutes. Elanga and Diallo were disappointing. Lingard might as well have stayed at home. Not much ‘control’ for Ralf to get excited about. At least the first 11 for the weekend got the night off.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
A nice kick around for the youngsters. However, not much to write home about. Greenwood and Shaw probably the only two out there who made a case for inclusion against Norwich.

Kinky Melinky

Two cracking goals, we didn't lose, we're through to the next stage and we had a few debuts for a game we didn't need to win. I don't really understand some of the drama queens on here

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Fun to watch in spells. A free hit, treated like a pre-season friendly with the amount of rotation. Always good to see debuts for youngsters.

I didn't expect a great performance with that line-up, half of the team playing in an unnatural position. Great goal from Greenwood. Mengi looked good, even though his best moment was recovering his own mistake. Donny was good in the first half even though he was a bit casual for their goal. Faded in the second and started to look a bit lost.

AWB, I've defended him a lot, but he is just frustrating to watch. I can't stand seeing him in the team these days.

King Eric 7

I'm a big fan of massive rotation for dead rubber games like this so can't really complain too much about the performance. Young Boys were terrible considering they had to go for the win.

G-MUFC

Worrying performance. Started well but slipped back into old bad habits.

So sick of seeing bang average teams dominate us with ease, especially at home.

Alemar

Charlie Savage did well. Sadly, he doesn’t have a thread even in the youth forum :(

Abhinav

I didn’t quite get the point of the line-up and changes today. What did we really hope to achieve with this? The youngsters never got the platform to really show their talent. It was too disjointed, no control. It was really difficult for anyone to shine, especially in the 2nd half. Subbing in Heaton for Dean, really? I suppose the end result was decent but it could easily have been an embarrassing defeat. Better to erase this game I guess.

RedIan

Some good moments creating clear chances that were badly fluffed.We Lost control 2nd half as YB went for it.
I think under ole we loose that game.

mason was the stand out player but mengi and shorentire also lookEd good. Amad and Elanga were a tad disappointing for me..

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
Wan Bassaka looks so uncomfortable with the ball going forward. Matic...hmmm. VDB was ok at times. I thought Elanga did alright and I think he will feature more during the season. Shoretire looked quite classy.

It wasn't a great game but it was refreshing to see the rest of the squad.

predator

Youth NITK
I hope no poor feckers from abroad paid alot of money to come and see this game expecting ronaldo and Co in a big champions league night at OT only to see Charlie Savage :lol:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I'm a big fan of massive rotation for dead rubber games like this so can't really complain too much about the performance. Young Boys were terrible considering they had to go for the win.
Yeah, I was a bit baffled by their lack of urgency towards the end.

midou

Henderson, Bailly, VDB, Mason and Amad were alright. The young guys need to be tougher, they fall to the ground on every contact. Disappointed with Lingard, Mata was done 2-3 years ago and AWB looked like he was part of the U20.

Overall necessary to rotate and get a look into the reserves for RR, 1:1 is fair and I'm not gonna cry about it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought the fact we've started hoofing it from goal kicks is quite interesting. Not many teams do that these days. What a goal and a brilliant should-have-been-assist as well from Greenwood.

Overall underwhelming performance but considering the players out there tonight, particularly by the end of the game, a draw is quite an impressive result. Really should have put the game to bed in the first half though, both teams very wasteful overall.

CloneMC16

Awful game to watch. RIP anybody broad that stayed up to watch this. First half was a little bit better, but the second was really bad. Mason was easily our best player. Especially in the first half. Bailly, Hendo, and Mengi also did well. The rest were kind of a yikes. I don't want to be too harsh on the young lads, but I didn't see much from them. They're too weak and the passing was really off.

rooneyberbatov

Great to see young boys getting a chance. Bailly was pretty decent, Greenwood’s goal was sublime, Mata is old but his passing is still :drool: Hope to see more of Mengi.

Player Ratings

5.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 219 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Young Boys win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 33% Man Utd 2:0 Young Boys
  • 25% Man Utd 3:0 Young Boys