Potential CB Options

RkkMan

Kounde and Botman are the only consistent players throughout all season, can we just forget about meaningless comparison of pace and physicality?
ffs this is not FIFA career mode. In reality, Kounde is really strong on aerial duels, and Botman came out with a clean sheet against Mbappe.
If you`ve watched Maguire and Lindelof then you`ll know that pace and physicality IS an important aspect in a CB. Having Botman will STILL make us culpable against teams with fast attackers running at you with pace or our ability to be able to play a high line.We need someone that wont force us to have to sit deep every week because our CBs shit their pants the moment we try to play expansively these are not FIFA career mode concepts its the reality. Kounde makes A LOT MORE SENSE than Botman or any CB of that profile I`m also not fazed by his height(his leap is really good anyway)but his athletic style of play and ability on the ball suits us ten if not twenty times more than Botman

Number32

If you`ve watched Maguire and Lindelof then you`ll know that pace and physicality IS an important aspect in a CB. Having Botman will STILL make us culpable against teams with fast attackers running at you with pace or our ability to be able to play a high line.We need someone that wont force us to have to sit deep every week because our CBs shit their pants the moment we try to play expansively these are not FIFA career mode concepts its the reality. Kounde makes A LOT MORE SENSE than Botman or any CB of that profile I`m also not fazed by his height(his leap is really good anyway)but his athletic style of play and ability on the ball suits us ten if not twenty times more than Botman
I don't know what you were watching, How many goals that we conceded from pacey counter attack? Ironically, we are the best counter attack team in the league right now, so why changed the system to high pressing ball possession game?
Set pieces, poor at defending crosses, and multiple errors at the back that's how our opponent were allowed to ship their goals to us.

Well, Kounde would risk a major injury with that style like Bailly, and you clearly underrate Botman's ability with the ball. Botman is becoming the best defender in Ligue 1 right now, and he's only 21.
You can see a massive impact that he bring to Lille, Can you explain why they are sitting top of the league with the best defensive record (better than PSG) after selling their best defender (Gabriel) last season?
If people can overrated Soumare and Camavinga, so why can't they just look at the man who is carrying a team to the top of the league, like Ruben Dias also did to Man City?

Last edited:

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I don't know what you were watching, How many goals that we conceded from pacey counter attack? Ironically, we are the best counter attack team in the league right now, so why changed the system to high pressing ball possession game?
Set pieces, poor at defending crosses, and multiple errors at the back that's how our opponent were allowed to ship their goals to us.

Well, Kounde would risk a major injury with that style like Bailly, and you clearly underrate Botman's ability with the ball. Botman is becoming the best defender in Ligue 1 right now, and he's only 21.
You can see a massive impact that he bring to Lille, Can you explain why they are sitting top of the league with the best defensive record (better than PSG) after selling their best defender (Gabriel) last season?
If people can overrated Soumare and Camavinga, so why can't they just look at the man who is carrying a team to the top of the league, like Ruben Dias also did to Man City?
  • Compact 4-4-2 shape.
  • Quick, energetic attackers who press well from the front.
  • Strong defensive midfield including Soumare.
  • One of the best GK's in the league.
There are many reasons to this, not just Botman. He is certainly a good player and playing well but he has literally no standout metrics that would point towards him being the overwhelming reason, to say he is personally carrying them to the top of the league is a ridiculous statement and a disservice to Lille as a team.

They conceded under a goal per game last season too and had THE best defensive record in the league in 18/19, so why are you acting like they have gone from bad to good defensively? In Galtier they have a manager who historically has always produced teams who don't concede many goals. His record speaks to this and this was the certainly the case before Botman came to Lille. He's done a great job slotting in and replacing Gabriel, but he has not massively improved them like you are suggesting.

If you want to look at why they are top of the league, I would point more towards the fact they are scoring 40% more goals per game than last season and the fact PSG have dropped nearly double the amount of points compared to last year.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Would enjoy if we managed to get Caleta-Car. Seems like a great option;

- Perfect age for a CB,
- Great physique and decent pace (also adapted/tested in a high-line from playing under Rose in Salzburg),
- A leader,
- Strong in the air,
- «Ball-playing» (two footed),

Liverpools first choice this january, but Marseille would not let him go. Signing a Balkan defender at the age of 24/25 in competition with Liverpool would bring back good memories.

spiriticon

A bit sick of buying CBs to be honest, especially since once they're here and don't make it, they seem to be stuck forever at this club and we have to move heaven and earth to get rid of them.

I wish we could just promote a few talented youth CBs. I'm just not sure about Tuanzebe anymore, he gives me the jitters and that's pretty much the same feeling I get with Lindelof.

Tallis

A bit sick of buying CBs to be honest, especially since once they're here and don't make it, they seem to be stuck forever at this club and we have to move heaven and earth to get rid of them.

I wish we could just promote a few talented youth CBs. I'm just not sure about Tuanzebe anymore, he gives me the jitters and that's pretty much the same feeling I get with Lindelof.
I don’t think we are particularly well stocked in youth CBs - at least in terms of those that can be ready in 2 years. Mengi seems to have regressed this season.

passing-wind

Who is faster, Milenkovic, Botman or Maguire?
Those are not good recommendations, Maguire is criminally slow so the defender we need will have to recapture the yards Maguire will lose relatively easily. I've seen limited amounts botman but he too doesn't look mobile enough.

Murray3007

If this guy is a complete defender in peoples eyes then I dont see United letting him go to another team. Maybe he isnt the defender we go for straight away but I can see it happening later. The new generation of the england team needs a top class CB and if there is one I really doubt United will let him not be ours.

His passing looks very good from the little I've seen. What's your thoughts about him?
I would sign him to be honest, think of all the defenders we have been linked with he would suit what we need the best, Fee might be the sticky point, maybe looking at around 50m, maybe could add in Axel to any deal,

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I'd still prefer Pau Torres to pretty much everyone else mentioned so far, although Villarreal haven't exactly been impenetrable at the back this season. He's absolutely rapid, left footed, very rarely gets injured, and is very good on the ball. He was also very good the last time I watched him against Salzburg.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
@Bepi

Just a random question since you bought him up in the Ronaldo thread, How has De Ligt been at Juventus? Is he enjoying it there and doing well as that young highly anticipated defender?

I noticed you said that Juventus are not financially in debt too much because you have the option of players like De Ligt being sold - is there any transfer rumours about him coming up in small portions?

Sea-Cow

I'd still prefer Pau Torres to pretty much everyone else mentioned so far, although Villarreal haven't exactly been impenetrable at the back this season. He's absolutely rapid, left footed, very rarely gets injured, and is very good on the ball. He was also very good the last time I watched him against Salzburg.
Decent in the air? I know nothing about it, but would be worried that he hasn't been snapped up by Barca or Madrid.

Ekeke

I dont see them get too much hype along with the usual players mentioned, so I do want to mention them.

Last season Smalling was easily Roma's best CB and Mancini wasnt that great. But he's come on leaps and bounds this season. And Ibanez has emerged as another good CB alongside him in Roma's 3 man defence. So I think both Mancini and Ibanez are worth looking at, although personally I do get a little bit anxious when we are linked or buy CBs who play in a back 3 every week when we dont. But I'm going to assume that if we did sign a CB playing in a back 3 every week it'll be because we want to play a back 3 as our main tactic. And if thats the case, they are both good options

Roger Ibanez is the younger, more adventurous with the ball taking players on but better defensively in the air than Mancini or at least wins more aerials per match

Mancini is the better overall defender, looks to pass to others with the ball rather than run it but goes up for set pieces and scores goals and has 3 headed goals this season so far

Of the two of them Mancini would be the better bet for a 2 man defence and Ibanez the more attack minded and ball playing option for luxury

I'm actually surprised Roger Ibanez hasn't been hyped up because he's the type of CB that usually catches the eye and has that treatment due to on the ball play and hes only 22

AkaAkuma

Ideally id like to see us buy somebody with 5 years of top level / full season game time. They may lack some specific skillset, but theyve proven there are capable of playing week in week out, you can see they arent injury prone etc.

Fedinand, Thuram, Nesta, Cannavaro etc - you knew what you were buying.

Maybe those times have gone. It seems all about buying earlier - most need bedding in, you dont know if they have the physical or mental ability to form a reliable partnership.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
I highly recommended these Botman fans to actually watch him play, preferably the next leg of the EL vs Ajax.

He played a high line vs Ajax in the first match and he got found out several times due to this lack of pace. Arguably the worst player on the pitch.
He is a good defender when he plays the offside trap in his penalty area. He'll be quality for a counter attacking side that does not have to dictate play as often as we do.

Lille is down a goal so this issue will be clear as day for anyone interested to see tomorrow 18:55.

Konate, Kounde, Koulibay, they're all right footed aren't they? Is Pau Torres the only left footed candidate? Going by Ole's conversation with Ake, he does a have a preference for a left footed LCB.

@Ekeke feck me, really? I keep seeing Smalling blunder his ass off every time I tune in. Unlucky or has he declined significantly from last season? Always hope our former players do well.

Ekeke

@Ekeke feck me, really? I keep seeing Smalling blunder his ass off every time I tune in. Unlucky or has he declined significantly from last season? Always hope our former players do well.
Seems like he hasnt settled with his late transfer from us, unlike last season where he hit the ground running at Roma. Def not as good as last season and Roma have better CB options now so they can cope without him on form

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Are there any CB options that tick all the boxes because it seems like Badiashile (too young), Kounde (too short), Ramos (unrealistic and too slow), Konate (too injury prone), Milenkovic (unknown), Varane (unlikely to leave) & Botman (too slow)
Varane will have a year on his contract this summer. He’ll be leaving if he doesn’t sign a new deal. No chance Madrid forego the 25m+ fee and let him leave on a free in this climate.

Hansinity

Supports
Bayern Munich
Is he being sold?
I actually think Sule is a great option but possibly not the ideal partner to Maguire. His passing is better than Maguire, is also faster ( one of the fastest players in the bundesliga actually ) ,but I personally think you need a CB with highest technical abilities, someone who can control the game from the back. Sule+ Maguirie + another top option would be ideal , but probably won't happen.

His contract expires soon and he just came back from a long injury and struggled a bit. But he was really really good yesterday. There is a chance that Bayern could sell him from what I read.

croadyman

Varane will have a year on his contract this summer. He’ll be leaving if he doesn’t sign a new deal. No chance Madrid forego the 25m+ fee and let him leave on a free in this climate.
Would swap Pogba for Varane but still need a creative option to replace him which Donny just isn't

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not interested in stats much but for any one that is..

manuchamp88

I dont see them get too much hype along with the usual players mentioned, so I do want to mention them.

Last season Smalling was easily Roma's best CB and Mancini wasnt that great. But he's come on leaps and bounds this season. And Ibanez has emerged as another good CB alongside him in Roma's 3 man defence. So I think both Mancini and Ibanez are worth looking at, although personally I do get a little bit anxious when we are linked or buy CBs who play in a back 3 every week when we dont. But I'm going to assume that if we did sign a CB playing in a back 3 every week it'll be because we want to play a back 3 as our main tactic. And if thats the case, they are both good options

Roger Ibanez is the younger, more adventurous with the ball taking players on but better defensively in the air than Mancini or at least wins more aerials per match

Mancini is the better overall defender, looks to pass to others with the ball rather than run it but goes up for set pieces and scores goals and has 3 headed goals this season so far

Of the two of them Mancini would be the better bet for a 2 man defence and Ibanez the more attack minded and ball playing option for luxury

I'm actually surprised Roger Ibanez hasn't been hyped up because he's the type of CB that usually catches the eye and has that treatment due to on the ball play and hes only 22

This Ibanez guy looks like he can STRING a set of nice passes together. This sort of player could be INSTRUMENTAL to our defence.

:smirk:

BlahRules

This guy was the first to break the news on our interest on Calcedo. I wonder if this has any legs.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

This guy was the first to break the news on our interest on Calcedo. I wonder if this has any legs.
Sport Mediaset are the ones reporting the news. Not very reliable at all from my experience.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Interesting stats but remains to be seen whether the club pay any attention to it
Come on mate, do you actually believe muppettiers Twitter account is doing more advanced scouting than the biggest scouting dept in the world? Of course they would be paying attention to this stuff.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Come on mate, do you actually believe muppettiers Twitter account is doing more advanced scouting than the biggest scouting dept in the world? Of course they would be paying attention to this stuff.
Mick Court has a full team doing just that.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
What about that Smalling fella? Big, quick and strong in the air. I reckon he’d compliment maguire. 15m should do the deal

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What about that Smalling fella? Big, quick and strong in the air. I reckon he’d compliment maguire. 15m should do the deal
I'm gutted Smalling left personally.

I remember Ole had said that he wont start every game and Smalling left predominantly because of that.

When you see how everyone except Maguire, Bruno and Rashford getting rotated around then it does make sense -

But not seeing Smalling and Maguire in a partnership really makes me feel gutted. It wasnt seen in the England National team nor at United.

For me Smalling is the more tanky version of Bailly and would have been a class, strong and fast CB partnership with Maguire.

Gutted about it even if I'm overrating it.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I'm gutted Smalling left personally.

I remember Ole had said that he wont start every game and Smalling left predominantly because of that.

When you see how everyone except Maguire, Bruno and Rashford getting rotated around then it does make sense -

But not seeing Smalling and Maguire in a partnership really makes me feel gutted. It wasnt seen in the England National team nor at United.

For me Smalling is the more tanky version of Bailly and would have been a class, strong and fast CB partnership with Maguire.

Gutted about it even if I'm overrating it.
I agree with you, I don’t know why we didn’t see it tried, on paper it would have been a solid pairing in my opinion. It’s not like we’ve seen this blinding progressive play between maguire and lindelof. I mean smalling could dither and pass it sideways repeatedly as much as the others

Walters_19_MuFc

I think the fact that Nikola Milenkovic can play both centre back and right back would appeal to Ole. Effectively, we'd be killing two birds with one stone. That being said, does anyone know what he's like at right-back?