Potential Centre-Back Signings

daba

We need a huge overhaul at CB, Varane and one of Lindelof/Maguire need to be moved on. Would love to see us bring in someone like Kelly who is free or another cheap alternative, a top prospect like Yoro to loan out as well as someone like Todibo.
Kelly on a free plus a Todibo/Scalvini/Diomande would be ideal.

3KDré

Problem is we don’t seem to do these practical free signings outside of Eriksen and Zlatan, we should have brought Rabiot in on a free in the summer but didn’t and I’m sure there’s countless others as well but yes Kelly would be a decent back up option.
Rabiot would have been fantastic, however I am pretty sure he wanted a £250,000+ salary. Although I think in this scenario it would have been ok, we need to move away from this type of signing.

davidmichael

Rabiot would have been fantastic, however I am pretty sure he wanted a £250,000+ salary. Although I think in this scenario it would have been ok, we need to move away from this type of signing.
I’d rather have given Rabiot a £250K a week wage on a free than Mount for a £55 million fee and a £250K a week wage especially as Rabiot was the type of a midfielder we actually need, much like I’d like us to look at Nico Williams on a free next summer as well as Redondo and if memory serves me well Rabiot is again out of contract next summer.

Wrecking ralf

I’ve always like Lacroix from Wolfsburg. Quick, strong, good in the air. Think he’d be a brilliant option alongside Martinez.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Maybe a bit small alongside Martinez, but I think Murillo at forest looks like a great CB. Aggressive, proactive defender, whilst being good on the ball. His driving out from the back is very good.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
Maybe a bit small alongside Martinez, but I think Murillo at forest looks like a great CB. Aggressive, proactive defender, whilst being good on the ball. His driving out from the back is very good.
Murillo is a fantastic player - most importantly he’s mature for his age and very humble. We’ve already started the “You’ll never beat Murillo“ chants - you have to be pretty special to be compared to Des Walker. He’s also on a long contract and first choice CB so you will need to dig deep to get him.

didz

We need a huge overhaul at CB, Varane and one of Lindelof/Maguire need to be moved on. Would love to see us bring in someone like Kelly who is free or another cheap alternative, a top prospect like Yoro to loan out as well as someone like Todibo.
From what I've seen, Yoro would be far too good to loan out. There's probably gonna be a knife fight for his signature in the summer.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Murillo is a fantastic player - most importantly he’s mature for his age and very humble. We’ve already started the “You’ll never beat Murillo“ chants - you have to be pretty special to be compared to Des Walker. He’s also on a long contract and first choice CB so you will need to dig deep to get him.
I was very surprised to learn he was only 21. I don't think he is particularly attainable at this point, but he certainly will be someone to watch his progress this season. I think he'll attract a lot of interest.

Oranges038

You can have Barry and Paul and we'll chuck in McT for free + 20 quid and 2 packets of salt and vinegar crisps.

Forest Red

Supports
Nottingham Forest
I was very surprised to learn he was only 21. I don't think he is particularly attainable at this point, but he certainly will be someone to watch his progress this season. I think he'll attract a lot of interest.
I’m hoping he’ll be at the City Ground for another 2 or 3 years at least, but I fully expect a Real Madrid or comparable to pay £60m+ in the future. The kid is seriously motivated - by all accounts he turned up at training with the attitude of ”hello, I’m your new first choice CB”. Coops played him and yes, he’s our first choice CB. Apparently his hero is Beckenbauer. As a long time Forest fan, the last kid to arrive with that mentality was Roy Keane.

Ekeke

William Pacho Eintracht Frankfurt, 22 and signed for £7.8 million last summer from Antwerp

Frankfurt have 3rd best defensive record in Bundasliga, 9 conceded in 10

Rojofiam

Todibo should be the easiest one to sign due to the takeover situation and he would also be one of the best possible partners for Martínez.

Giggsy13

Martinez is our only CB with a long-term future. I can see Varane leaving for Saudi next summer and Maguire will likely not be offered a new deal. Next summer we need one or potentially two CB signings.

daba

Martinez is our only CB with a long-term future. I can see Varane leaving for Saudi next summer and Maguire will likely not be offered a new deal. Next summer we need one or potentially two CB signings.
Writing is on the wall for all except Martinez atm. Would love us to be proactive in Jan and kick off the process by getting Todibo and finally shifting Lindelof on.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Need pace and aeiral ability over everything else imo. Martinez - assuming he gets back to his best - will be the ball-player. We do still need a defender though.

Worth noting as always, Shaw coming back will help with both of these things too. His heading ability is underrated.

Rojofiam

Need pace and aeiral ability over everything else imo. Martinez - assuming he gets back to his best - will be the ball-player. We do still need a defender though.

Worth noting as always, Shaw coming back will help with both of these things too. His heading ability is underrated.
And yet we've still visibly struggled because of the right side build-up not being anywhere near as good compared to Shaw and Martínez on the left. We need to pick up another ball player, not just a younger Varane.

aeh1991

Piero Hincapie has been struggling to get playing time for Bayer Leverkusen since he missed the first 3 games due to a red card ban. Last season he was one of their best players. He'd be a steal if we could get him under 30m. I'd rsther have him than Inacio as LCB tbh. Tabsoba would be great too but more unlikely since he is a key player for Alonso's team.

didz

Piero Hincapie has been struggling to get playing time for Bayer Leverkusen since he missed the first 3 games due to a red card ban. Last season he was one of their best players. He'd be a steal if we could get him under 30m. I'd rsther have him than Inacio as LCB tbh. Tabsoba would be great too but more unlikely since he is a key player for Alonso's team.
Spent a decent bit of time at left back too and, as we have learnt, you can never have enough of those.

Avero

How would Nathan Collins do at United?

Anyone seen David Carmo play at Porto?

The-Mezzala

Todibo and Branthwaite ? Both young and potentially a great long term partnership.

davidmichael

Todibo and Branthwaite ? Both young and potentially a great long term partnership.
That’s exactly the two signings I would push for although I’d be happy with Silva or Diomamde as alternatives to Todibo, if a Saudi club comes in for Varane then take it and move Lindelof on.

If Maguire is happy to stay in a squad role then keep him and he seems a different player without the spotlight of captaincy on him so one of Silva/Diomande/Todibo along with Martinez, Maguire, Branthwaite and Evans with young players coming through is a good mix of youth and experience with potential to grow and very balanced.

daba

That’s exactly the two signings I would push for although I’d be happy with Silva or Diomamde as alternatives to Todibo, if a Saudi club comes in for Varane then take it and move Lindelof on.

If Maguire is happy to stay in a squad role then keep him and he seems a different player without the spotlight of captaincy on him so one of Silva/Diomande/Todibo along with Martinez, Maguire, Branthwaite and Evans with young players coming through is a good mix of youth and experience with potential to grow and very balanced.
Would throw Scalvini into the ‘premium young CB’ option alongside Silva and Diomande.

Todibo feels like a no-brainer (hopefully get that done in Jan), only issue with Branthwaite is the price he might have against his name.

davidmichael

Would throw Scalvini into the ‘premium young CB’ option alongside Silva and Diomande.

Todibo feels like a no-brainer (hopefully get that done in Jan), only issue with Branthwaite is the price he might have against his name.
If Branthwaite’s price has gone up then there’s Medina at Lens, Lukeba at Lyon and Inacio at Sporting who are all potentially great left footed centre backs who are young enough to be understudy to Martinez but good enough to step in when and as needed.

renatosanches85

If Branthwaite’s price has gone up then there’s Medina at Lens, Lukeba at Lyon and Inacio at Sporting who are all potentially great left footed centre backs who are young enough to be understudy to Martinez but good enough to step in when and as needed.
It’s not Fifa, those players won’t sign to play second fiddle to Martinez. Lukeba signed for Leipzig in the summer.

davidmichael

It’s not Fifa, those players won’t sign to play second fiddle to Martinez. Lukeba signed for Leipzig in the summer.
Seeing as there’s usually 50 games a season I think any player who has a proper mentality would back themselves to get at least 30+ appearances a season and push for a starting role, its basic squad building to want two good/great options for each position.

Bwuk

Feels like this has quickly become a priority.

Wing Attack Plan R

I would rather we poached CBs from our rivals than bring in players from different leagues and see if they can adapt. Any number of CB pairings in the Premier are better than what we are fielding. We need to get players who are already performing at the required level and that wouldn't be a massive jump to a club with the stature / fanbase of United. Martinez has learned to adapt, but a player like Malacia as a fullback is never going to make it. I don't want more of the Eridivisie importing to the Premier League. We did try this approach with maguire, but paid way over the odds for him. For the kind of football we were playing Maguire made sense (more or less).

aeh1991

Honestly if we could spend a lot on a CB then I'd buy Tomori, even if that's unrealistic. Right profile, right quality, right age and would instantly improve the defense, while other candidates (Todibo, Inacio, Tapsoba) would be more in the category of very talented, but unproven in the EPL.

ArmaDino

Is De Ligt worth a punt?

I know, another ETH player, but out of his Ajax teams only he and Frenkie stood out to me, and that includes his second one with Antony, Timber and Haller.

Currently he lost his place to another one of our targets in Kim Min-Jae. So far he barely featured this season.

From his time at Ajax, I remember him as more technical and better ball playing Maguire. His leadership also stood out to me considering he was made captain at like 19. Plus he is very dangerous from set pieces.

With Varane's future uncertain, I think we might get him at a reduced price. Would be a very good addition to our squad and would probably pair very well with Martinez.

arthurka

Is De Ligt worth a punt?

I know, another ETH player, but out of his Ajax teams only he and Frenkie stood out to me, and that includes his second one with Antony, Timber and Haller.

Currently he lost his place to another one of our targets in Kim Min-Jae. So far he barely featured this season.

From his time at Ajax, I remember him as more technical and better ball playing Maguire. His leadership also stood out to me considering he was made captain at like 19. Plus he is very dangerous from set pieces.

With Varane's future uncertain, I think we might get him at a reduced price. Would be a very good addition to our squad and would probably pair very well with Martinez.
If you want a CB who is injured more than Varane then he should be high in the list.

ArmaDino

If you want a CB who is injured more than Varane then he should be high in the list.
Interesting

I didn't follow him after he left Ajax so I didn't know that he developed a knack for injuries. Taking a quick look at FB ref, he featured in 31 league games last season and 31 before that, which to me looks like someone who can stay at least fit for most of the season.

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

De Ligt has similar issues to Maguire on the turn and recovery runs, but he is very good with the ball at his feet. Lacks Maguire's aggression in the air though. Im genuinely surprised he's struggled at Bayern, May be a massive red flag for the Prem

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Defenders are a problem on nowadays market: it's becoming harder to be a defender because now you can't get away with a lot of "ref not seeing it" tactics, and you will get yellow or red card for much less than 10 years ago, nevermind 20 or more.

Now you need to be a player who has to stay focused for the whole game, the margin error nowadays is very small not only because teams prepare themselves better nowadays, but also as football became much more athletic, when you lose the ball on transition or fail to make an easy recovery/interception, players run much faster nowadays and will show up in numbers trying to capitalize any mistakes.

Hammondo

Defenders are a problem on nowadays market: it's becoming harder to be a defender because now you can't get away with a lot of "ref not seeing it" tactics, and you will get yellow or red card for much less than 10 years ago, nevermind 20 or more.

Now you need to be a player who has to stay focused for the whole game, the margin error nowadays is very small not only because teams prepare themselves better nowadays, but also as football became much more athletic, when you lose the ball on transition or fail to make an easy recovery/interception, players run much faster nowadays and will show up in numbers trying to capitalize any mistakes.
I don't think the fastest players now are faster than previously, I would say the average player is faster and has a lot more stamina which I think is the bigger difference. They keep up their pace constantly and as you say, focus needs to be top notch.

JuriM

We really need to get a cb with some pace/acceleration & can pass the feckin ball.
Two monster CB's are in Portugal, Diomande from Sporting & Silva from Benfica, either of those would be magnificent and show we mean business.

El-Manos

Two monster CB's are in Portugal, Diomande from Sporting & Silva from Benfica, either of those would be magnificent and show we mean business.
Heard good thing, admittedly never seen them play. How is todibo getting on this season!