Potential Centre-Back Signings

davidmichael

When was the last time we made 100m in outgoings in one summer?
Think we did the summer we sold Di Maria which I also think is our second biggest outgoing transfer ever still after Ronaldo in 2009 but this summer we’ve got Greenwood, Sancho, Lindelof, Casemiro, Eriksen, VDB, Malacia, Bayinidir, Williams, Fernandez, Hannibal and Pellestri all pretty much certain to go so you’d expect us to easily raise £100+ million there not to mention Varane and Martial off the wage bill which is £600K a week.

aeh1991

A decent alternative to Todibo could be Maxence Laxroix (24) of Wolfsburg. He is a tall (1.90) RCB, good overall center back. His contract ends in 2025, so he'd be available for less than 30m.

Kingslayer18

A decent alternative to Todibo could be Maxence Laxroix (24) of Wolfsburg. He is a tall (1.90) RCB, good overall center back. His contract ends in 2025, so he'd be available for less than 30m.

I think he’s more a backup RCB than a starter for us. solid and consistent but I don’t get anything other than that from him. If we had a bigger budget and went for him instead of Tosin as a backup RCB, I wouldn’t be against that. Though I would keep Varane for one more year, loan out Kambwala for a year then have him back as the backup RCB in 2026.

Waynne

We need a bastard. I'm talking a peak Nemanja Vidic type bastard.

Varun1

Think we did the summer we sold Di Maria which I also think is our second biggest outgoing transfer ever still after Ronaldo in 2009 but this summer we’ve got Greenwood, Sancho, Lindelof, Casemiro, Eriksen, VDB, Malacia, Bayinidir, Williams, Fernandez, Hannibal and Pellestri all pretty much certain to go so you’d expect us to easily raise £100+ million there not to mention Varane and Martial off the wage bill which is £600K a week.
We're not about to sell Bayindir or Malacia, and we'll probably let Eriksen leave for free or for peanuts. Otherwise yes, there is potential for £100m but I've hoped for a big clear out for many summers and it has never happened, and probably too early for SJR & co.

Sadly, one thing is for certain, we can only attract the T2/T3 players.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
We can probably get 70-80 mil from this

Sancho: 35-40m
Greenwood: 30m
Casemiro: 15m

Coupled with Varane/ Martial freeing up the wage bill
We won’t get those fees. Greenwood likely won’t be sold to a PL side and no foreign club will offer that much, aside from maybe Barcelona/Atletico who I cannot see being interested. He’s also going to be entering last year of his contract. Sanche is on massive wages so you’d need to offer him at a much reduced price or subside his salary for a while, and Casemiro you’ll be lucky if any team even takes on his contract given how far off pace he’s looked this year. Best case scenario we may fetch £50m for all of them combined and shed quite a bit off our wage bill.

I could see us getting some fees for Lindelof and Hannibal but those won’t be very high either. The biggest upside of getting rid of all these players is wages, we still spend a ton of money on players every week and it’s bad for our FFP.

Pughnichi

So apparently there’s lots of viable cbs on the market this summer

Todibo
Tah
Upamecano
Tosin
Hincapie
Lucumi
Lukeba
Branthwaite

surely we can pick a good one….surely right?

ColvaleGoa

So apparently there’s lots of viable cbs on the market this summer

Todibo
Tah
Upamecano
Tosin
Hincapie
Lucumi
Lukeba
Branthwaite

surely we can pick a good one….surely right?

Our track record suggests surely Not!

We will end up with Phil Jagielka. Most Likely.

Dazzmondo

Didn't realise Leverkusen were looking to sell Hincapie. That would be a very logical move to make. I like Branthwaite and Kilman too but they would probably cost more.

I don't think Tosin is good enough for Utd personally but I suppose as a squad option on a free he'd be acceptable.

Todibo has always seemed the logical and easy one to get done. We can sort out the fee in whatever way suits us financially too.

Feels like Yoro is unrealistic even though I think he's excellent.

Expecting Varane, Lindelof and Evans to leave in the summer.

daba

Didn't realise Leverkusen were looking to sell Hincapie. That would be a very logical move to make. I like Branthwaite and Kilman too but they would probably cost more.

I don't think Tosin is good enough for Utd personally but I suppose as a squad option on a free he'd be acceptable.

Todibo has always seemed the logical and easy one to get done. We can sort out the fee in whatever way suits us financially too.

Feels like Yoro is unrealistic even though I think he's excellent.

Expecting Varane, Lindelof and Evans to leave in the summer.
For me the logic of signing Tosin is that he’s as good / better than Lindelof, so selling Lindelof for a small fee (eg. £15m) and bringing in Tosin on a free whilst potentially reducing wages and bringing an extra HG figure into the squad makes so much sense.

Dazzmondo

For me the logic of signing Tosin is that he’s as good / better than Lindelof, so selling Lindelof for a small fee (eg. £15m) and bringing in Tosin on a free whilst potentially reducing wages and bringing an extra HG figure into the squad makes so much sense.
I don't think he's as good as Lindelof tbh, but I get the saving on wages argument

Woziak

More importantly Jason Wilcox coached at City under 18’s and knows him well, makes too much sense?

CtrlAltDeLigt

We won’t get those fees. Greenwood likely won’t be sold to a PL side and no foreign club will offer that much, aside from maybe Barcelona/Atletico who I cannot see being interested. He’s also going to be entering last year of his contract. Sanche is on massive wages so you’d need to offer him at a much reduced price or subside his salary for a while, and Casemiro you’ll be lucky if any team even takes on his contract given how far off pace he’s looked this year. Best case scenario we may fetch £50m for all of them combined and shed quite a bit off our wage bill.

I could see us getting some fees for Lindelof and Hannibal but those won’t be very high either. The biggest upside of getting rid of all these players is wages, we still spend a ton of money on players every week and it’s bad for our FFP.
I agree to your point that Sancho’s wage needs to be subsidised and maybe 30m + add ons is a more realistic figure, but Greenwood can be sold at a Better price, if the management will negotiate well.

There would be many teams that’ll take him even for what went down for him personally, he’s young and in a top half club can perform well with goal contributions.

Just hoping the new negotiators are not as bad as the last one, we can probably achieve a better number in sales.

Houdini

David Hancko would be a good signing. He played all the games this season without injuries and is an excellent CB.

shayanr

Best case is Bastoni and Todibo for around 110/120 Mill which can be funded by players leaving.
Ahh, i would be delighted with Bastoni and Todibo plus Tosin on a free.

LCB
Martinez
Bastoni
Maguire
Shaw

RCB
Todibo
Varane
Tosin
Kwambala

We’d be settled.

spenzo

Inacio and Silva. Let’s just spend the money, get LCB and RCB sorted, portuguese connection, great age profiles etc. Think we also have to be all over Tosin on a free and then of course keep Martinez and Kambwala.

Redivy

Inacio and Silva. Let’s just spend the money, get LCB and RCB sorted, portuguese connection, great age profiles etc. Think we also have to be all over Tosin on a free and then of course keep Martinez and Kambwala.
Depending on what the vision the club decides to adopt will determine the centre backs we should sign. Inacio will be perfect if the club is going after a progressive style of play, and especially if the club is interested in a manager such as Amorim. But if its Tuchel they're after, then we'd be better off with Silva.

Once we know the direction of the club, it will make things so much easier.

Redivy

Ahh, i would be delighted with Bastoni and Todibo plus Tosin on a free.

LCB
Martinez
Bastoni
Maguire
Shaw

RCB
Todibo
Varane
Tosin
Kwambala

We’d be settled.
This wouldnt be feasible. You want Martinez/Bastoni, Maguire, Varane and Tosin to warm the bench?

NoPace

This wouldnt be feasible. You want Martinez/Bastoni, Maguire, Varane and Tosin to warm the bench?
We're not getting Bastoni, but I believe Inter fans are far higher on him as an LCB in a back 3, but I guess we could buy an RCB and play like this, and let's assume Varane is gone due to wages:

3/5 at the back:
Shaw-/Malacia-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Dalot/RWB
----------------Bastoni/Lisandro-----Lisandro/Maguire-------RCB/Kambwalla-----------------------

4 at the back:
Shaw/Bastoni------------------------------------------------------Dalot/RCB
----------------------Lisandro/Bastoni----RCB/Maguire----

But yeah I don't see it unless we somehow steal Inzaghi away and move to 3 at the back. Could probably get those right-sided defenders pretty cheap, maybe Lucas Vazquez on a free to rotate with Dalot and I have no idea about RCB.

Though having 2 of Lisandro, Bastoni and Shaw on the left and a guy who can play RCB or RCB (like Kounde for Barca or Militato for Madrid do), Maguire and Dalot on the right might just about work if everyone is miraculously healthy, with the 7th-9th guys being Evans, Kambwalla and Malacia all pretty different players.