Potential Centre-Back Signings

Lux Thunder

Jan Paul van Hecke is Dutch enough to satisfy ETH and has some experience from Brighton and Blackburn to satisfy Caf members.

EDIT: Jinxed him while posting.:wenger:

NoPace

I suspect Guehi
Makes sense. He's gone from being jerked around by Chelsea to getting regular games at Palace and regular England caps. I can see why he'd be scared to join here and thinks of Sancho and Mount dropping out of the England team after coming to us and Maguire's a laughingstock at club level and then Guehi seems him look consistently quite competent at England. He probably sees a Maguire gaffe, thinks he's moving up in the England CB ladder and then Maguire looks his same old self for England, and figures it's United that's the problem.

Baneofthegame

Makes sense. He's gone from being jerked around by Chelsea to getting regular games at Palace and regular England caps. I can see why he'd be scared to join here and thinks of Sancho and Mount dropping out of the England team after coming to us and Maguire's a laughingstock at club level and then Guehi seems him look consistently quite competent at England. He probably sees a Maguire gaffe, thinks he's moving up in the England CB ladder and then Maguire looks his same old self for England, and figures it's United that's the problem.
Not sure we’re to blame for Mount, he’s been injured all season pretty much.

Bojan Djordjic

Personally from what I’ve seen of both I rate Diomande higher than Todibo although I rate Todibo higher than Antonio Silva and Guehi, Diomande is an absolute beast and I think would be perfect alongside Martinez.
Todibo is excellent at tackling and covering large spaces and Diomande is really good going forward but not very good at heading which I think is too big a weakness in the United team to make his signing a smart one right now. We'd be watching opposition corners through our hands with him and Licha. It's why I love the Yoro signing. He's a duel monster and is so tall that he doesn't get targeted aerially.

JohnnyLaw

Todibo is excellent at tackling and covering large spaces and Diomande is really good going forward but not very good at heading which I think is too big a weakness in the United team to make his signing a smart one right now. We'd be watching opposition corners through our hands with him and Licha. It's why I love the Yoro signing. He's a duel monster and is so tall that he doesn't get targeted aerially.
Aren’t both Diomande and Todibo exactly the same height as Yoro?

Checked Fbref and none of them stand out as particularly strong aerially, but that’s less of an issue if they instead allow us to defend higher.

Bojan Djordjic

Aren’t both Diomande and Todibo exactly the same height as Yoro?

Checked Fbref and none of them stand out as particularly strong aerially, but that’s less of an issue if they instead allow us to defend higher.
Sorry, thought I read that Yoro was 6'5. He certainly looks a lot lankier than the other two but I guess he's still a teenager so has a lot of filling out to do.

Pscholes18

We need some absolute rocks in the back a la Stam and Nemenja whooooao! ...a cb or two that will anchor us for the foreseeable future. Easier said than done but Charlie Sheen is gone as will be Varane. Can't trust Lindy.

aeh1991

Recently I thought, maybe we could go for one RCB in the mould of Todibo/Diomande and give Kambwala a chance to develop, instead of buying a second young CB. Depends on how he does for the rest of this season, but from what I've seen, he has impressed me so far. Maybe we could go for an attacking LB like Theo Hernandez instead and use Shaw more often as a ball-playing, short LCB, rotating with Licha or let him compete with Theo. We could also try a system with 3 CBs with Theo as LWB and Frimpong as RWB (who would be another addition). Just a thought.

daba

Recently I thought, maybe we could go for one RCB in the mould of Todibo/Diomande and give Kambwala a chance to develop, instead of buying a second young CB. Depends on how he does for the rest of this season, but from what I've seen, he has impressed me so far. Maybe we could go for an attacking LB like Theo Hernandez instead and use Shaw more often as a ball-playing, short LCB, rotating with Licha or let him compete with Theo. We could also try a system with 3 CBs with Theo as LWB and Frimpong as RWB (who would be another addition). Just a thought.
Agree with giving Kambwala a chance. The reason we buy these kids so young is that we see them as top talents and can potentially save ourselves £50m down the line, so we need to give them the proper platform and opportunity to achieve that. I see Varane and Lindelof both going and Maguire sticking around so perhaps a really considered loan move like Amad had where he’s in the right environment could be the right move for him next season.

Theo would be an amazing signing but certainly wont be cheap. Unfortunately given we have Shaw there I’d be surprised we’d go for him.

Id like us to keep a close eye on Jorrel Hato at Ajax who seems to be having a similar trajectory as De Ligt. Already starting CB at 17 years old, called up to the Netherlands senior team, recently became the youngest ever Ajax captain, left-footed, can cover both CB and LB, and physically is everything you want from a modern CB. If he is available this summer he’s a must but I expect him to stay at Ajax at least another season.

If that is the case, going for someone like Theo this summer and having Shaw cover LCB more formally for a season before going for Hato next year could make sense. We could then be looking at a pretty interesting CB line up of Martinez, Todibo (or whichever RCB we go for), Hato and Kambwala in 2025/26.

eire-red

There aren't many stand-outs outside of the top teams in terms of CB options. Palace are having a bit of a dull season, could be worth a punt on Guehi in the summer to replace Varane / Maguire, depending in what the plan is for both of them.

Kambwala deserves a chance too based off of what we've seen from him in his couple of appearances.

Ideally sell Maguire and Lindelof, convince Varane to play another year and look to sign a 3rd choice RCB. However, given our injury record that may be a bit light. I fear we will still see Maguire and Lindelof here next season and Varane gone.

For sure the spine of the team is what really needs addressing this summer. 3 players across CB and CM, but it's kind of up in the air which needs the most investment.

Borninthe80ts

I like the idea of this. As long as Willy stays fit for the rest of the season he can play his way into the squad. He seems to have a positive mindset and wants to make an impact I feel.

I’m a fan also of multifunctional squad players with experience backing up the first team and players like Shaw could fit the bill. I think once we get some stability we will see 3 at the back so to speak, even when more in transition and possession progression than anything.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
We have 5 first team centre halves with Varane, Martinez, Maguire, Lindelof and Evans. So unless someone is being sold, why are we looking to get another?

aeh1991

I like the idea of this. As long as Willy stays fit for the rest of the season he can play his way into the squad. He seems to have a positive mindset and wants to make an impact I feel.

I’m a fan also of multifunctional squad players with experience backing up the first team and players like Shaw could fit the bill. I think once we get some stability we will see 3 at the back so to speak, even when more in transition and possession progression than anything.
I'm just a huge admirer of Theo and think he is one of the best LBs in the world. There are rumors he is not entirely happy with the situation at Milan so we could try to get him. People would say we signed a player on the least priority position, but I would make an exception since we would sign world class quality. Whether he'd be interested to join us would be a different issue.

Pughnichi

Palace would take us to the cleaners for Guehi.

I’d prefer us to go for cheaper players from abroad that are similar ability and significantly cheaper.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We have 5 first team centre halves with Varane, Martinez, Maguire, Lindelof and Evans. So unless someone is being sold, why are we looking to get another?
At least 2 of them should be going. Evans is about 50 years old so needs replacing. And one of Varane, Maguire or Lindelof will be sold. Them CBs aren’t good enough to compete with the best. The only 2 that are is probably Varane and Martinez. But between them all they’re either not good enough or injury prone.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
I'm just a huge admirer of Theo and think he is one of the best LBs in the world. There are rumors he is not entirely happy with the situation at Milan so we could try to get him. People would say we signed a player on the least priority position, but I would make an exception since we would sign world class quality. Whether he'd be interested to join us would be a different issue.
It would make sense signing him, would give us good depth for rotating plus Shaws injured a lot. Will also allow us to move Shaw to CB which might suit ETH for the way he likes to play when in possession the 3 at the back and Shaw can also drift out to the left if he needs to cover. Can’t see it happening though as we have Shaw and Malacia.

AneRu

We should be selling two from Maguire, Varane and Lindelof then look to replace them with a new signing and Kambwala especially if the latter acquits himself well during the second half of the season. Evans is a good, reliable back up and also the last remaining link to an era of mentally strong United players we should keep him as long as possible.

Red_Orchestra

Todibo is to aggressive, he would concede to much fouls. Diomande for me, he fits the profile a lot better. Ambipedal, passing, 1v1s, aerial, dribbling. He can maybe be moulded into that holding defensive midfielder that weve been looking for, he has the longballs to become one. Snatch him before its to late.

Last edited:

aeh1991

I'd prefer a younger player, but Bayern and Kim don't seem like a great match and we could try a sneaky 25m bid.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Kim was such a big miss. A ready made CB that would be instantly improving the team.
Such a blunder to miss him when we had a fecking 200m to spend.

aeh1991

Olivier Boscagli of PSV could be another possible signing. Is a 26 years old left center back. Regarded as one of the best CBs in Eredivisie, he's excellent with the ball, has good passing skills and also seems to be strong in the air despite his height (1.81). He had a bad knee injury in 2021, from which he was out for almost a year, but he has had no injuries since. His contract ends in 2025 so could be available for cheap. Also has Dutch connections (if it matters at all), is French and has a Nice past.

Lee565

Depends on the manager, if we stick with eth then martinez and shaw can be lcb options and then move on varane, Maguire and lindelof.

Buy a new starting left back and right centre back.

Lu Tze

Olivier Boscagli of PSV could be another possible signing. Is a 26 years old left center back. Regarded as one of the best CBs in Eredivisie, he's excellent with the ball, has good passing skills and also seems to be strong in the air despite his height (1.81). He had a bad knee injury in 2021, from which he was out for almost a year, but he has had no injuries since. His contract ends in 2025 so could be available for cheap. Also has Dutch connections (if it matters at all), is French and has a Nice past.
With respect, almost everything you've said there sounds suspect.

Dutch league - concerning
Short - concerning
Knee injury - concerning.

The very last thing we need is another crocked LCB from the Netherlands that isn't physical enough for the PL.

aeh1991

With respect, almost everything you've said there sounds suspect.

Dutch league - concerning
Short - concerning
Knee injury - concerning.

The very last thing we need is another crocked LCB from the Netherlands that isn't physical enough for the PL.
he's had no injuries since 2021 according to Transfermarkt. And remember our best CB is short and from the Dutch league just to be said.

jesperjaap

Diomonde, Silva, Inacio, Lukeba, Yoro, Anselmio, Todibo etc etc etc.....there are so many good cbs breaking through at the moment. Of course there will be competition for some, but it would be a big failure not to sign a quality cb this summer and I like Braithwaite but spending £65m odd on him would befoolish for me as he would cost more than 90% of the very best

jesperjaap

Kim was such a big miss. A ready made CB that would be instantly improving the team.
Such a blunder to miss him when we had a fecking 200m to spend.
Personally though hes more left sided but £34-35m Lukeba went for, only 21, looked great at Lyon anthe admittedly littl see of him at leipzig looked good in his debut season, was shocked wasnt a rush for him, top cb for small fee intodays market

Jezpeza

I’d start Kambwala (though dont think we have much choice atm anyway) in the rest of our dead rubber league games this season. If he proves competent it allows us to save some money and get rid of 2 of Varane/Lindelof/Maguire.

My dream choice for the summer would be both Silva and Hato to come in

daba

I’d start Kambwala (though dont think we have much choice atm anyway) in the rest of our dead rubber league games this season. If he proves competent it allows us to save some money and get rid of 2 of Varane/Lindelof/Maguire.

My dream choice for the summer would be both Silva and Hato to come in
Rumours a few weeks ago that Hato is set to sign an extension but he should 100% be on our radar as a future option at LCB. One more season at Ajax and he may feel ready to make a move.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Personally though hes more left sided but £34-35m Lukeba went for, only 21, looked great at Lyon anthe admittedly littl see of him at leipzig looked good in his debut season, was shocked wasnt a rush for him, top cb for small fee intodays market
Don't know anything about him. But thanks to bring him up. His age profile and price range look pretty good.

Rojofiam

Diomonde, Silva, Inacio, Lukeba, Yoro, Anselmio, Todibo etc etc etc.....there are so many good cbs breaking through at the moment. Of course there will be competition for some, but it would be a big failure not to sign a quality cb this summer and I like Braithwaite but spending £65m odd on him would befoolish for me as he would cost more than 90% of the very best
That's funny, considering several CBs from the ones you listed will go for 65m or more. Branthwaite isn't exactly a super expensive option amongst the young CBs that will likely be on the market in the next 1-2 summers.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
If Kambwala can play a part then we need two starters at RCB and at LCB and Martinez can be the back-up LCB or used as an inverted LB. If he is not ready then we need three and the Fulham guy on a free could be a good pick-up. Maguire, Evans, Varane and Lindelof all need to go.

I hope our recruitment starts with fixing our defense and midfield first. We need 2 or 3 CB's (Depending on above), 2 central midfielders & a top class striker in this coming window to make any kind of mark next season.

jesperjaap

That's funny, considering several CBs from the ones you listed will go for 65m or more. Branthwaite isn't exactly a super expensive option amongst the young CBs that will likely be on the market in the next 1-2 summers.
Several? Dionondes release clause is under that, the rest havehadfeesmentioned between£20-40m....only Lukeba may be anywhere near that fee andSIlva possible over....thats one

jesperjaap

Don't know anything about him. But thanks to bring him up. His age profile and price range look pretty good.
He was at Lyon a while, left sided and strong physically too, had a great battle with Antonio of West Ham couple of years ago, dont think Liepzig would let him go cheap now though and being more left sidedwith our needs pushes him downa bit, rate him highly though

Kingslayer18

He was at Lyon a while, left sided and strong physically too, had a great battle with Antonio of West Ham couple of years ago, dont think Liepzig would let him go cheap now though and being more left sidedwith our needs pushes him downa bit, rate him highly though

Branthwaite or Lukeba would be the ideal LCB options but may come at a higher price that may not fit within our budget. In fact, if we had foresight and better recruitment, we should have sold Lindelof or really forced Maguire out last summer and tried to buy Lukeba before Leipzig secured the deal. Lucumi of Bologna seems like a cheaper alternative, offers similar traits to Martinez and won't come in at over 40m.