Potential Centre-Back Signings

Sparky Rhiwabon

Are people just saying Timber because he played under Ten Hag at Ajax, or is he genuinely the best option?

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Pavard in January would gives us a backup RB and CB and Ten Hag would have half a season to decide which role he fits for us, so it's tempting in that regard alone, though I'm not sure he's not a bit too Lindelof-y at CB and a bit lacking going forward at RB.

He looks perfect for the right side of a back 3, but we're not gonna play that way.
Bayern won't sell in January. Call them in June.

Erik the Red

Timber played under ETH, but also formed a great partnership with Martinez. He hasn't looked so good this season, so the question is why...? Is it he plays better under ETH, with Martinez, or he just isn't that good and is now getting exposed? Personally, the fact that he was ETH's first choice to sign from Ajax, even before Martinez, makes me think that he is a really good player with great potential, and that ETH will be back in for him at some point...

WirralRed

Haven’t saw much of Timber but when I have he looks good on the ball. I know people mentioned he can play RB as well, has he played much there?

Onerealunited

We need to get rid of Maguire, Lindelof, Jones, Tuanzebe and Bailly.
Instead we need a left footed and a right footed defender. Ndicka is out of contract in Jun-23 so it would be a no brainer not to go after him. Pavard, who can play CB and RB, is out of contract in Jun-24 and has told that he isn't extending his contract as he want new challanges, hence he should also be attainable at a fair price.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
The problem with Pavard is that he’s shite…

NoPace

My guess is CB will look like this:

-No changes in January
-Summer 2023, Maguire out and a new RCB in. We play with Lindelof or the new RCB as the backup LCB.
-Summer 2024, Lindelof is sold and we buy a cheap young backup left-footed LCB
-Summer 2025, Varane replaced with backup CB assuming the summer 2023 guy pans out

Messier1994

I was referring to Amad Diallo at left CB, and that is why I said "I hope not"!!!! (You didn't specify which Diallo)

I would suggest Ndicka would be a treat signing for a left footed CB.
Yeah, I actually referred to Amad, but “an [Amad] Diallo type of signing” but at CLD. Ie throw 20m at a kid who has potential but still got a few more years left before he is easy and that is a left footed CD.

Although, it would be pretty fun to watch Amad Diallo at CB. ;)

Messier1994

Are people just saying Timber because he played under Ten Hag at Ajax, or is he genuinely the best option?
When it comes to playing the ball up from the back and beating the lines, yeah, I think he could be the best option. The kid is a real dribbler, when he is pressured by forwards, he just undress them and get up field. His passing foot isnt world class, but he is unique in the way he gets away from pressure.

Another huge upside is that he is just as good at RD. So you kind of get 2 in 1, someone who can play both at CB and RD.

He hasn’t had a great year for Ajax, but remember, they have a totally gutted squad this season and plays a very offensive style of football. Besides Antony and Martinez, they also sold Haller and Graveberch.

In a season like this one, I think Timber would be immensely valuable to have on the team for ETH. As I understand it, many Dutch pundits have him starting ahead of De Light in the WC. Not at all sure that is correct, but it’s at least and indication of how good he actually is.

X