Potential De Gea Replacements

If he doesn't sign a new contract and we decide to sell, who do we bring in? I like the gk at Ajax he looks solid.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
The only one is Oblak.

He's obtainable as well.

3KDré

Romero is good enough, if not supposedly Henderson is.

Bubz27

He will cost a lot of money though, id rather save the bulk of the cash improving our outfield players.
Get £80m+ for DDG. Spend it on Oblak.

Rest of our transfer budget on the squad. Simple really.

Or if being in Madrid is all that matters for DDG, straight swap.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Sign Cilessen.

Before you guys hit on me let me explain. Sign a CB who can play out from the back means less pressure on GK . His distribution is excellent and will help us start our attacks effectively .

Bojan11

If we don’t wanna spend that much then Courtois. Even though he’s dominant in the box but he’s shit with the ball at his feet.

Devil81

Like it's that simple, Chelsea lost Courtious and had to pay a world record fee for a keeper to replace him. Why, because the other club knew they were desperate.

Bubz27

Like it's that simple, Chelsea lost Courtious and had to pay a world record fee for a keeper to replace him. Why, because the other club knew they were desperate.
He's got a release clause.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Improve the defence and go with Henderson. Got the right attitude from all I've seen of him.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If we go with Romero we will be looking for another keeper in the next transfer window. I don't know if Henderson is ready though, we have so many issues and brining a young keeper in front of that back 4 will be too much.

We need to go there and bring someone in, no idea who.

Red-Man-Walking

Fully Erect

Nobody is spending that money on DDG with a year left on his contract. We'd frankly do well to get £40m.

Bokito

Cilissen’s not a bad suggestiom, actually. Solid, no frills type of goalkeeper, knows what it means to play in the top and under pressure, seems to have his head on his shoulders, not too expensive (about 30M max, I understood).

My main question would be which club would sign DDG for that ridiculous fee? Most top clubs seem to have that position figured out at the moment. Real have more pressing issues than signing just another GK?

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
The only one is Oblak.

He's obtainable as well.
How is he obtainable, are we talking release clause? Supposedly around £129m, recently signed a new contract. Lives in Madrid, plays in the CL, in a brand new stadium, playing for a title challenging side, with real top quality players. I think the idea of moving to Manchester United, will be a hard sell.

Good enough for who? A title challenging side, a top 4 side or a side that’ll likely finish 6th? Romero is a number 2, for a reason.

Bubz27

How is he obtainable, are we talking release clause? Supposedly around £129m, recently signed a new contract. Lives in Madrid, plays in the CL, in a brand new stadium, playing for a title challenging side, with real top quality players. I think the idea of moving to Manchester United, will be a hard sell.

Good enough for who? A title challenging side, a top 4 side or a side that’ll likely finish 6th? Romero is a number 2, for a reason.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
If we go with Romero we will be looking for another keeper in the next transfer window. I don't know if Henderson is ready though, we have so many issues and brining a young keeper in front of that back 4 will be too much.

We need to go there and bring someone in, no idea who.
Henderson is quite tough mentally, and that goes a long way. Yes he would make some mistakes but I wouldn't worry about him. Get Frans Hoek in as the GK coach or any other great coach and he will be fine.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Romero + Henderson if it comes to it. Getting Oblak in and De Gea out for a massive loss would be a bad use of resource.

izec

Dont think Oblak is obtainable. He would reject us.

Now is not a great time to buy Goalkeepers. I dont think there are many good ones available. The likes of Pickford, Onana, Meret, Lopes, Schmeichel, Butland or Lafont? Not sure about any of them. I would stick with Henderson and Romero and improve our CBs and fullbacks.

Bubz27

What club do you see paying anything worth De Gea's value?
No one, but I see DDG's worth being £120m+.

So id take £80m. And Juve or PSG can pay it. Don't care who. If they want him, pay it.

Or get him on a free next year.

el3mel

Oblak but if I were him I won't risk my career by joining United.

Schneckerl

Anthony Lopes from Lyon is really good, but our fans only want high profile players.

Canagel

We don't need to spend big money for a keeper. It's not worth it when we have more pressing needs. Let's find a modern GK we can develop. I like the ajax keeper and there's probably some more.

Roboc7

Romero would be exposed as a number one, I doubt he’d cut it at Wolves or Watford let alone here.

If De Gea does go you’d probably have to go with him though as money needs to be spent elsewhere. Might be hard persuading Henderson to stick around as backup.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Henderson is quite tough mentally, and that goes a long way. Yes he would make some mistakes but I wouldn't worry about him. Get Frans Hoek in as the GK coach or any other great coach and he will be fine.
The pressure of coming into this underperforming team will be insane. Not only that, he's replacing a top class keeper despite his form this season. But the biggest problem is our defence, I don't have faith in the current ones and we don't know who we're going to bring in this summer.

CLK_FPC

Fists of Fury
Improve the defence and go with Henderson. Got the right attitude from all I've seen of him.
I'd have the right attitude if you told me I could play for United, my ability might be what lets me down though.

Henderson is good, but the shouts for him to come into the Prem and start are a bit crazy, especially considering in De Gea we know how vital having a WELL above average GK can be

Remember the geese

Try to get Oblak or Ter Stegen. An impossible task really, so failing that try and get the best young goalkeeper in the world (whoever that is). Similar to when we signed De Gea. If this wonderkid of a keeper isn't better than Henderson, then stick with Henderson and Romero.

OleGunnar20

What's Lafont like these days? Heard lots of talk about him being the next best thing when De Gea was last out the door.

I've not seen much of Henderson, but his record with the Blades is pretty amazing considering how attacking a team they are. If he's got the potential we'd be silly not to give him a year I'd say, especially considering Oblak's cost/assumed lack of motivation to leave Atletico.

Just please don't let it be Courtois.